Forum Settings
Forums

On a scale 1 to 10 how would you rate the importance of characters in anime?

New
On a scale 1 to 10 how would you rate the importance of characters in anime?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 22, 2013 1:06 PM

Apr 2012

Jun 22, 2013 1:22 PM

May 2012

If all the show has is awful characters i'll probably hate the show itself.

Unless they're all voiced by Sugita Tomokazu. That would give them a free pass.
Jun 22, 2013 1:30 PM

Apr 2011
I would say 9/10, it is second to story(tied really). Obviously if the characters are "bad" it means it wont be enjoyable, but there's a difference between bad and just not being likeable. Although having at least one character I can relate to is a huge plus.

Kind of funny, cause when it comes to ecchi/moe stuff people act like story doesn't matter and it's the characters. For me that is kind of true, but lets be honest, good fan service is what matters in those anime/manga. Not the characters personalities(which are usually almost identical to other popular ecchi/moe characters). So in the case of moe/ecchi stuff(when I'm in the mood for it), the most important thing would be fan service and how well it is done. While in almost every other genre story/characters are the most important part.
Jun 22, 2013 1:37 PM

Sep 2011

My enjoyment always relies to the characters more.

Jun 22, 2013 1:39 PM

Sep 2012
10/10. Characters don't even need to be likable necessarily if they have good depth and development.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Jun 22, 2013 2:29 PM

Oct 2010
Character development, understood as a dynamic and changing entity, is only a part, a major part indeed but not the only one, of what defines a character. Static personalities can be interesting by throwing them in the right context and exposition. Just look at Ginko from Mushishi, for example. We know very little about his motivations and only very few brushstrokes on his past, yet he is perfectly recognizable and has a specific aura of charm around him.

Anyway. A narrative story always involves characters which bring a viewpoint, which in turn generate various kinds of feelings on you. You are involved in the story both as an external observer and through the filter of those characters. The first perspective is more of a documentarist one, which I don't think applies well in a fictional narrative world, alone. You can enjoy something through that but you are not going to get the kind of involvement -a more emotional and personal one- you get through characters. Which is also the reason why good character models can save a lame premise pretty easily but the contrary doesn't happen as well in the long term.

By the way, on the Kino's journey mention... it's funny because I consider it heavily character-based. It does depict the oddities of the world, yes, but always and exclusively through the eyes and reflection of Kino. Nothing happens outside of her point of view.
Jun 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Jun 2008
I can be indifferent to the characters and still enjoy the show.
But if i dislike the characters, then it's a whole different matter.

But liking the character can for me make the score higher. Like for example Karneval. Boring plot, but i just love the characters!
Jun 22, 2013 3:13 PM
May 2010
jal90 said:

By the way, on the Kino's journey mention... it's funny because I consider it heavily character-based. It does depict the oddities of the world, yes, but always and exclusively through the eyes and reflection of Kino. Nothing happens outside of her point of view.

I thought the exact same thing when I was reading the post about Kino's journey not being character based. How could it not be, it was through kino that we viewed that world.
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 22, 2013 3:19 PM

Apr 2011
Ragix said:

Great characters can make even the shittiest of plots seem amazing.

Nichijou and School Rumble lol.
Jun 22, 2013 3:22 PM

Apr 2013

characters > plot in most genre
Jun 22, 2013 3:28 PM

Jun 2013
10, you need great characters to have a great anime in my opinion.
♡ Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya ♡

Jun 22, 2013 3:31 PM

Jul 2012
9/10, if I dont care about the characters the story probably wont matter.
Jun 22, 2013 3:36 PM

Nov 2011
Character are the most important thing in any anime.
No good characters No party.
I luv u
Jun 22, 2013 3:37 PM

Sep 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Well, this entirely depends on the kind of story that is presented. While I find the importance of characterization and development to be extremely significant in a character-driven story (SoL, romance, drama, etc), I find them to not be very important in plot-driven stories (mystery, thrillers, etc).

Of course, the importance of characters in any kind of story is undeniably huge, but at the end of the day, the way I assess the importance of characters and their developments in a story is the kind of story that they're presented in and also the events which happen in the story.

For instance, I could care less about the character development in Baka to Test, but in a series like Blade of the Immortal, I pay close attention to the characters.

Anyway, I'll refrain from rating the importance of characters.
I agree with this post.
Jun 22, 2013 3:46 PM

Feb 2010
This is basically another "character vs plot" thread, with a poll that doesn't really make much sense, everyone is gonna consider characters important, the question is how much in comparison to other aspects.

There are people that watch some anime because they love ONE character and say that the show is great ignoring that everything else is shit.

I wonder how many people can say "This anime is great, but it doesn't have great characters" and which anime would that be?
For me one would be Higurashi, i really liked that series, yet i don't think it has GREAT characters.
Another one that seemed to be like this for me was Higashi no eden, but the plot ended up being totally retarded in the movies.
Jun 22, 2013 3:58 PM

Jul 2012
7, i let plot take over sometimes depending on the genre
Jun 22, 2013 4:39 PM

May 2013
There has to be at least ONE white haired guy in it, otherwise the show is just not worth watching..
Jun 22, 2013 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
If you don't care about the characters, it means you don't care what happens to them or what they do consequently you don't care about the plot
Jun 22, 2013 6:39 PM

Apr 2013

Characters a very important, but I can still like an anime that only has characters I hate e.g. School Days.
Jun 22, 2013 7:47 PM

Dec 2012
Even if there's non-stop action, if there is no reason to care about the characters, I'm moving on.
Jun 22, 2013 8:40 PM

Dec 2012
The only genre in which characters don't matter as much are short stories. For any work that is longer than a couple of paragraphs, characters are absolutely vital. After all, almost any story is pretty much the reaction of a given number of characters to the events narrated by the plot.

And, then again, there is only a very small number of short stories that don't require characters that have to give off at least a tiny spark of interest in the viewer's mind...
Jun 22, 2013 8:42 PM

Feb 2012
They're a ten.

Story is also a ten. Music and animation are both tens as well.
Jun 22, 2013 8:52 PM

Apr 2013
A story is nothing without its characters. And to have a good story, good characters must emerge as well. So its a 10 for me.

Jun 22, 2013 9:21 PM

Dec 2012
10. It's pretty much the most important thing in a show, since good characters can even carry a show with a shallow plot and if the characters are not likable I'm not going to care what happens to them, which is an essential thing for any story.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 22, 2013 9:22 PM

Oct 2011
Characters are everything.
Jun 22, 2013 9:55 PM

Mar 2012
I'd say a 9. While characters can make or break a series most of the time, the story can redeem it if it's good enough
Jun 22, 2013 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
SaberRitsu said:
I'd say a 9. While characters can make or break a series most of the time, the story can redeem it if it's good enough
Jun 23, 2013 12:31 AM

Dec 2011
I'd be interested in a comment from one of the people who voted in the 1-3 range.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 23, 2013 12:35 AM

Feb 2008
10, probably. I don't think I've ever liked an anime that had bad characterization.
Jun 23, 2013 12:39 AM

Dec 2011
10/10 since me liking the character's development is a major thing I factor in for anime.
Jun 23, 2013 12:43 AM

Dec 2007
Holybaptiser said:
Well, this entirely depends on the kind of story that is presented. While I find the importance of characterization and development to be extremely significant in a character-driven story (SoL, romance, drama, etc), I find them to not be very important in plot-driven stories (mystery, thrillers, etc).

Of course, the importance of characters in any kind of story is undeniably huge, but at the end of the day, the way I assess the importance of characters and their developments in a story is the kind of story that they're presented in and also the events which happen in the story.

For instance, I could care less about the character development in Baka to Test, but in a series like Blade of the Immortal, I pay close attention to the characters.

Anyway, I'll refrain from rating the importance of characters.
Basically what I wanted to say.
Jun 23, 2013 1:23 AM

May 2012
In my opinion, character development is one of the most important parts.
Jun 23, 2013 1:32 AM

Oct 2009

There is no story without characters.

Jun 23, 2013 5:18 AM

Jan 2013
8-9, so I'll go for 9.
Characters are extremely important, BUT they are not the only important thing.
After all, if the story doesn't give them some challenges, the characters can't even show their full potential.
Also, if the show is ONLY carried by the characters, it can only ever be "decent" at best. It's bound to leave an aftertaste of 'something is missing here'.

PS: The importance also depends on the genre, as many have already mentioned
Jun 23, 2013 5:22 AM

May 2013
If characters were really that important to everyone, then why does Kuranado animu have such a high score?
Jun 23, 2013 6:03 AM

Dec 2011
Leapling said:
If characters were really that important to everyone, then why does Kuranado animu have such a high score?

Not everyone likes the same characters as you perhaps?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 23, 2013 6:16 AM

May 2013
Apart from the fact that characters are essential for a story a priori, it's not the first time that I've dropped an anime/manga because of the protagonist. I dare say the protagonist is the most important to me, and really even if the plot could be good per se, if in the first or later episodes I find myself hating the protagonist, I drop the entire thing.

So yes, to me at least, the protagonist (character) is important, to the point where it decides whether I will complete or not the anime. Although the plot is also taken into account.
Jun 23, 2013 8:08 AM

Jul 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
I'd be interested in a comment from one of the people who voted in the 1-3 range.

probably poll trolls hehe
Jun 24, 2013 5:45 AM
Mar 2013

At best, characters are tools for three things: plot advancement, thematic advancement and immersion. I think the modern idea of good characterization is counterproductive to this, because it's based on this modern cult of the "individual." It's too focused on "making them seem like real people"; telling us their favorite cereal, their phobias, their bedtime, etc. There's a reason Greek dramas work just fine without telling us these things.

Characters are important, but as an extension of something larger, not a distinct category unto themselves.
Jun 24, 2013 6:03 AM

Mar 2013
Characters are a 10. They are more then of what anime originality is in general. The plot is the other element as well. Without those it's origin as an anime is lot. Look at cliche shounen characters for example like Natsu and Naruto. ( Don't get ass hurt and start a flame war defending them) The fact they're so predictable as a main character in the plot it brings the originality of the character down various levels and brings the story down itself because of "Nakama power" or "Friendship is everything, screw the fact that he tried to kill me in the past." That is a crucial plot hole as a mangaka if the audience of the anime/manga can predict the story. If the character is unpredictable it'll make the plot go any where which can give massive amounts of creativity depending on how the mangaka uses the plot also. Especially if it's action manga/anime, plot twists are huge and every character should be in the field of danger which they aren't protected by plot armor making him/she untouchable then which creates no character development *cough Fairy Tail cough*. Anyways characters ARE important. They deevelop the plot.
Jun 24, 2013 6:05 AM

Oct 2008
Great characters can carry an anime when it has nothing else to offer. I'm not sure if anything else can do that including the plot.
Jun 24, 2013 6:07 AM

Jan 2012
I'd go with a 10, mainly in that character progression, development, and complexion are paramount in my book when it comes to leaving a strong impression with me. Great and memorable characters can make ANY show good imo.
Jun 24, 2013 6:10 AM

May 2013
I gave a 10 because sometimes it happens that a character carries out a show and makes the whole story much more enjoyable.The best example would be Mirai Nikki which wouldn't be half as fun if Yuno wasn't a stalking murder crazy killing b****.
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
Jun 24, 2013 8:15 AM

May 2013
Between 7-8 I would say. Good characters make the show that much more enjoyable but a good plot can sometimes carry the show by itself.
Some anime are completely dependent on characters though like Steins;Gate.
Forever lost.
Jun 24, 2013 9:01 AM

Jan 2013
Cbubbles said:

At best, characters are tools for three things: plot advancement, thematic advancement and immersion. I think the modern idea of good characterization is counterproductive to this, because it's based on this modern cult of the "individual." It's too focused on "making them seem like real people"; telling us their favorite cereal, their phobias, their bedtime, etc. There's a reason Greek dramas work just fine without telling us these things.

Characters are important, but as an extension of something larger, not a distinct category unto themselves.

I wonder how many people hire like Greek dramas? When I think batter not just hire, how many people at all like Greek dramas.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jun 24, 2013 9:17 AM

May 2013
Voted 1 accidentally, thought it said 10 instead..

10 cause if it weren't for Alcor, I would rate Devil Survivor 2: the animation a zero. (:
Jun 24, 2013 10:36 AM

Feb 2013
If the characters are awesome and the story is shit, well... it's up to you. Between 8-9 for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2013 11:00 AM

Apr 2013
On a scale on 1 to 10 I rate awesome characters far above 10 , more like :

Really , awesome characters are usually found in an awesome anime .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 24, 2013 1:13 PM

Mar 2013
Characters are important.
Jun 30, 2013 4:23 PM

May 2010
10, the anime could have a great plot but depending on characters it can all go wrong
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 5 hours ago

11 by phantom346 »»
53 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

65 by Shizuna »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 2 hours ago

5 by palm-tree »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

40 by Spunkert »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

85 by PostMahouShoujo »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.