Forum Settings
Forums

On a scale 1 to 10 how would you rate the importance of characters in anime?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: On a scale 1 to 10 how would you rate the importance of characters in anime?

Jun 22, 2013 7:16 AM

How important are the characters, characters personalities and character development to you? Do you not care for the characters and their personalities as long as the story is good or do you highly care? As for me the characters importance is 10/10 as characters are one of the most important things for anime to be good. As I see it no matter how the story may be good if the characters are boring and unlikable anime can't be good and in the best case it can be only average but probably below average.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jun 22, 2013 7:19 AM

It has always been the most important factor for me.

Jun 22, 2013 7:21 AM

I said 9 out of 10. It would be a 10 were it not for the fact that if a series stands out enough (in either a good way or a bad way) in another aspect, then the characters fade into comparative insignificance. Characters don't make a series a 10, but they regularly differentiate between, say, a 3 and an 8.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Jun 22, 2013 7:23 AM

10/10

How the fuck do you want to make an interesting show without characters?

Jun 22, 2013 7:24 AM

What kind of question is this? Of course it matters. Unless it's a piece of shit slice of life moe anime, it always matters.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage

Jun 22, 2013 7:25 AM

^ Funny, I would have said that slice of life anime are the ones where it matters the most.
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Jun 22, 2013 7:26 AM

The quality of MAL threads have been lacking lately. I mean, this shouldn't even be a question.

Jun 22, 2013 7:28 AM

kuuderes_shadow said:
^ Funny, I would have said that slice of life anime are the ones where it matters the most.

Let him be, he likes to act stupid.

Jun 22, 2013 7:31 AM

kuuderes_shadow said:
I said 9 out of 10. It would be a 10 were it not for the fact that if a series stands out enough (in either a good way or a bad way) in another aspect, then the characters fade into comparative insignificance. Characters don't make a series a 10, but they regularly differentiate between, say, a 3 and an 8.

Will characters don't make a series a 10 but they are one of the factors that is absolutely needed for a 10. As I see it for a 10 there are needed multiple factors and characters are one of those factors.

Jun 22, 2013 7:35 AM

wukp said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

Will characters don't make a series a 10 but they are one of the factors that is absolutely needed for a 10. As I see it for a 10 there are needed multiple factors and characters are one of those factors.

I was saying for me personally. Case in point Shinsekai Yori. I don't even know whether the characters of that series were good or not. The story was good enough for me to not even care.
*that there is data for

Jun 22, 2013 7:37 AM

kuuderes_shadow said:
wukp said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

I was saying for me personally. Case in point Shinsekai Yori. I don't even know whether the characters of that series were good or not. The story was good enough for me to not even care.

The main characters just don't have anything special. That's not a reason at all to lower the score, because the plot is a masterpiece.

Jun 22, 2013 7:38 AM

MajinSaga said:
What kind of question is this? Of course it matters. Unless it's a piece of shit slice of life moe anime, it always matters.

It catch my attention that not everybody thinks so, so I asked to see how many people thinks that way.

kuuderes_shadow said:

I agree

Jun 22, 2013 7:41 AM
It's very hard to pin down how exactly characters matter in any storytelling medium. It depends on the genre and how a viewer watches the show. When I watch shows for the fights, I couldn't care less about the characters. But when I watch shows for some mental exercise, characters are the most important thing. Everything else, characters are important, but they are never the most important.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.

Jun 22, 2013 7:42 AM

Very important.

Jun 22, 2013 8:13 AM

A 10 for me too, i can't watch a show if I dislike most of the main cast

Jun 22, 2013 8:14 AM
Characters are the single most important aspect, for me. 10 for sure.
Worships Asparagus.

Jun 22, 2013 8:19 AM

Depend on genere.

Jun 22, 2013 8:45 AM

While they're an important aspect in anime, I still think plot is more important.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 22, 2013 9:02 AM
Worst One

A 10 from me, If I don't like the characters then I will generally hate any silly action they take in a show and it affects my judgement, Most harem leads take this role upon themselves to annoy the hell out of me. If the characters in the show aren't that good then you don't really have anything to drive the story imo.

Jun 22, 2013 9:04 AM

Well, this entirely depends on the kind of story that is presented. While I find the importance of characterization and development to be extremely significant in a character-driven story (SoL, romance, drama, etc), I find them to not be very important in plot-driven stories (mystery, thrillers, etc).

Of course, the importance of characters in any kind of story is undeniably huge, but at the end of the day, the way I assess the importance of characters and their developments in a story is the kind of story that they're presented in and also the events which happen in the story.

For instance, I could care less about the character development in Baka to Test, but in a series like Blade of the Immortal, I pay close attention to the characters.

Anyway, I'll refrain from rating the importance of characters.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 22, 2013 9:08 AM

great characters are essential to an amazing narrative

Jun 22, 2013 9:12 AM

MajinSaga said:

Stupid, really stupid.

Like kuuderes_shadow said, its probably THE most important factor for a slice of life anime.

But anyways, IMO it really depends how you look at the question. Yes, characters are very important and probably the most important factor for an anime, but I for one didn't see anything too special about characters in for an example: AnoHana or Clannad, yet both of them were still my top 2 favorites. So yeah, I'd say a 8-10, it really depends.

Jun 22, 2013 9:20 AM

10. Characters are what move the story. Even in a very event-based storyline, if you bring uninteresting characters the events will most likely become dull and uninteresting too in a while.

Jun 22, 2013 9:21 AM

For me personally there are only a few series that manage to get by without having good characters, although they do exist, an example being Shingeki no Kojin.

Jun 22, 2013 9:29 AM

They can make or break a series for me, so around a 9-10.
Exceptions for Texhnolyze since the characters are not entirely likable nor do you really learn much about the cast, but how Texhnolyze executed the characters into the story was quite unique.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Jun 22, 2013 9:38 AM

10, why? Bebop.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush

Jun 22, 2013 9:42 AM

#1 priority, even in action anime. Hellsing Ultimate for example, some of the best characters right there.

Jun 22, 2013 10:09 AM

Story. Series might look like they are centered around and carried by characters, but that's what the story is about.
The characters being important is something different from how they are used or why their roles are set this or that way (in the story).

Jun 22, 2013 10:11 AM

Characters are a really important factor in anime for me, especially if it's a genre that focuses on character development. In more plot-heavy shows the characters don't matter as much to me, but it's still important to have at least a few couple of good characters.

Jun 22, 2013 10:18 AM

Good characters can save a bad story imo

Jun 22, 2013 10:30 AM

yhunata said:
The quality of MAL threads have been lacking lately. I mean, this shouldn't even be a question.

Exactly

Back on Topic

Depends on the character and what the plot is about for me to rate them.
The main character/s will always have to be a 10/10

The secondary I'd give 7-8...
unless their purpose in the anime has little meaning.

An example of this would be Phi Brain.

Honestly I did like the anime, BUT it focused SOOOO MUCH on Kaito that I almost dropped it.
It was like the other main and secondary character knew no one else but Kaito. Kaito, Kaito, Kaito. The other characters in the anime were pointless really. Ah, I am glad I completed it.
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online

Jun 22, 2013 10:34 AM

yhunata said:

Based on some well thought responses presented in this thread, I would disagree.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Jun 22, 2013 10:34 AM

SOExclusive said:
yhunata said:

Exactly

Back on Topic

Honestly I did like the anime, BUT it focused SOOOO MUCH on Kaito that I almost dropped it.
It was like the other main and secondary character knew no one else but Kaito. Kaito, Kaito, Kaito. The other characters in the anime were pointless really. Ah, I am glad I completed it.

Dude, your memory must be balls, I remember them, Cubic, Gammon, Ana Gram (GET THE FUCKING JOKE). Nonoha as well.

I thought they focused on Gammon quite a bit.

Jun 22, 2013 10:35 AM
It's Art

If the story kinda sucks, the characters can be a saving grace.

Jun 22, 2013 10:39 AM

InfiniteRufus said:
SOExclusive said:
yhunata said:

Exactly

Back on Topic

Dude, your memory must be balls, I remember them, Cubic, Gammon, Ana Gram (GET THE FUCKING JOKE). Nonoha as well.

I thought they focused on Gammon quite a bit.

They did focus on Gammon, but think about this. Why was Gammon acting the way he was.
It was because of Kaito.
Cubic first puzzle by the POG. He wanted to solve it to prove worthy of being Kaito friend.
Ana painting was a painting of Kaito with other animals to make him feel better about himself
Nonoha- Its a given that she loves Kaito

I just wish the other main characters story developed without the influence of Kaito.
I might be comparing Phi brain to One Piece too much because in One Piece their characters all had their own little story without the influence of luffy.
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online

Jun 22, 2013 10:41 AM
Polychrome said:

It has always been the most important factor for me.

This, an anime can't be interesting unless it has characters.

Jun 22, 2013 11:07 AM

if the characters suck and are retarded as fuck then I wouldn't be able to watch
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing

Jun 22, 2013 11:10 AM

8-9. I would still be able to watch a show if the characters were decent, but the plot was very, very good.

Jun 22, 2013 11:16 AM

And not just in anime, but in any form of entertaining media. Whether it be books/movies/series/comics/manga, it doesn't matter really, to me the characters are the most important thing. Or rather, the characters are the thing that will either make a shitty story so-so, or a so-so story shitty. Whereas music and animation can't do that.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.

Jun 22, 2013 11:26 AM

OP, are you even serious ???
of course it's important, with strong determined characters, they can build solid plot development

Jun 22, 2013 11:31 AM

Probably 10.

Good acting can save a bad story. however a great plot cannot cover up bad acting.

Jun 22, 2013 11:33 AM

Stuff like pure comedies, pure action shows, and shows going for atmosphere I feel that the characters and their development aren't required to be complex. Say, Lucky Star, Gurren Lagann, or stuff by Makoto Shinkai.

Stuff like character drama-driven shows, I don't want to say they're necessary, but I can't think of a case where I cared about a character's drama if I didn't know anything about them.

Anyways, having developed and interesting characters are always a plus, but I'd say it depends on what the show's trying to do. Stuff like Humanity has Declined and Kino's Journey didn't have much for character, having only one or two episodes for backstory, but those shows aren't focused on the characters. In those cases, having complex characters would get in the way, taking the focus off of whatever message the show is trying to get across.

So...I guess it's something like if the show is character driven, I'd hope the characters are developed and interesting, and if the show is driven by atmosphere/plot/some philosophical point, then character development isn't necessary. Shows in between, I have no idea, so I'm not sure how to rate this overall.

Jun 22, 2013 11:37 AM

It depends on the story, there are plot driven stories and concept driven stories where character development is not as important or even necessary as in character driven stories. However because of the nature of anime on average most titles would benefit from well rounded characters and character development.

PS: Reading through this thread made me realize that many people have many different definitions about what "character development" is. So I'm not even sure everyone discussing while keeping the same thing in mind.

Jun 22, 2013 11:39 AM

it's obviously 10
characters are the most important aspect,if they suck it doesn't matter how good the story is...isn't that right madoka magika?
Modified by renders, Jun 22, 2013 12:08 PM

Jun 22, 2013 11:45 AM
A good story won't be possible without equally good characters; at least in my eyes. The characters are the individuals we can identify with and they and their circumstances are the reason why we're emotionally invested in the stories.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein

Jun 22, 2013 11:47 AM

Great characters can make even the shittiest of plots seem amazing.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Jun 22, 2013 11:48 AM
10/10

Without a doubt this is the most important aspect for me. Story is overrated.

Jun 22, 2013 12:03 PM

10 out of 10.

Even an anime with a shitty plot can still be great if it has amazing characters. They're what make or break a show.

Jun 22, 2013 12:34 PM

Edefrem said:
10 out of 10.

Even an anime with a shitty plot can still be great if it has amazing characters. They're what make or break a show.

Exactly my thoughts good characters can save a very bad story and make it in great anime, hoewer opposite does not apply. If you have very bad character's good story can't save it and it will still be boring anime (or at least it is my opinion as I see that there are some persons here that don't think this way).

Jun 22, 2013 1:05 PM

Highly important, I don't want Mary Stus and Gary Stus running around, I want characters that are unique that makes me remember them.
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »