Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find it difficult to watch very old anime?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

Jun 28, 2013 6:29 PM

Not really, although I've never watched an anime older than the 80s.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jun 28, 2013 6:44 PM

I actually find it like a hook since it's interesting how anime has changed over the years.

Jun 28, 2013 8:30 PM

Not really.

Jun 28, 2013 8:31 PM

Pretty easy for me as long as the plot is good, loved LoGH despite watching it in 2013. I wouldn't rewatch Dragonball though, it depends on the fight scenes too much and with it's crappy animation and cookie cutter plot i would fall asleep.

Jun 28, 2013 8:42 PM

I think that the main issue I have with older anime is generally the art style. I definitely haven't seen much anime, so I can't say without a doubt that there aren't older anime series with more modern art styles, but I tend to dislike the more "classic" character art style as seen in shows like the Excel Saga and Sailor Moon series. On the contrary, shows like Cowboy Bebop have gorgeous character art syles, but have a much different style for things like cars and ships. (Mostly anything made of metal in Cowboy Bebop looks like it's held together with duct tape) It's surprising, though, to see really cool-looking, and even really high-tech styles in shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion.

All in all, I don't really have a problem with older shows unless they use an artstyle which is more common to older anime.

Jun 28, 2013 8:42 PM

that's what blu-ray is for.

Jun 28, 2013 8:48 PM

Dragonball and DBZ are old anime which everybody saw and most likely enjoyed.

If the plots solid with great characters then it doesn't matter new or old.

Jun 28, 2013 9:05 PM

Pssh, no. Anime is anime. I can watch any, as long as it has a good story and what not.

Jun 28, 2013 9:24 PM

Dark_Chaos said:
vongola1314 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
I prefer my anime with massive alien eyes thank you very much ;P

On the side note, i don't. as long as plot interests me.

Compared to most anime today, those eyes seem very normal in comparison.

You couldn't have found a better picture than that? 0_o

Umm i don't know what you've been watching, but unless you've only been watching KEY stuff, there aren't alot of huge eyes.

Jun 28, 2013 9:25 PM

It depends. Some older anime have a classic, nostalgic feel that is very calming and has its time and place. Others just look like shit.

Jun 28, 2013 9:38 PM

I have no problem at all, but then that depends on what you mean by old. Cowboy Bebop is still the most fluid non-film anime I've ever seen, but that may not be as old as you're asking about. Legend of the Galactic Heroes still looks amazing, but sometimes the creators of that show would take a month to make an episode. I don't ever count Miyazaki movies in a discussion like this, because even today his films are some of the best looking around, that hand-drawn art is just so fucking beautiful. When you say old, you may mean many things, but just to cover all the bases, I still think The Rose of Versailles looks good.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush

Jun 28, 2013 10:59 PM

At first but then later you don't even realise that it has shit graphics since you're drawn into the plot.

Jun 28, 2013 11:06 PM

I treat it like i would video games. I personally didn't enjoy Final Fantasy VII, just cause i didn't enjoy the gameplay, and it didn't help to draw me into the plot (lack of voices etc.) but when i play games like Spyro(original 3), i have a blast with em. For anime, as long as the story is enough to draw me in.

Jun 29, 2013 12:07 AM

Not at all, 3/5ths of my favourites are from the nineties. Old art has a really nice charm to it in my opinion. Plus if the plot is good enough the art shouldn't really matter.

Jun 29, 2013 7:17 AM
Yes! The old art style pisses me off so much. I wouldn't care if everyone started to say a certain old anime is the best they've ever seen. I will not watch it no matter what.

I've only ever made two exceptions: Dragonball Z, and Detective Conan. There won't be any more.

Jun 29, 2013 3:00 PM

I don't see any problem

Jun 29, 2013 3:07 PM

Old animation from the 70's or early 80's can make it hard for me to really get into a series and marathon it. For example harlock has been on my On-hold for ages. But Uchuu Senkan Yamato or others I was able to watch, though in smaller doses of 2 episodes or so at a time. The level of the story, characters and dialogue definitely has to be higher to get the same amount of lasting attention from me when there's just so much less movement going on on the screen. Sad but true. For real masterpieces it doesn't matter though.

And lol at alomst everyone drawing the line at the nineties. Animation back then was already pretty good, sometimes superior than today so for me that doesn't count (art/color palette is not an issue for me, or rather I dislike some artstyles but they can be old or new, it doesn't matter).

Also I'm mostly talking Tv series, older Movies with a decent budget tend to have better animation than most of the newer TV series that don't have too much of a budget.
Too Old To Die Young

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Jun 29, 2013 9:19 PM

nope, as long as an anime has a good story that catches my attention and has good characters ill watch it.
Im victoria's secret

Jun 30, 2013 1:57 PM

Nope! In fact I love the old art style!
I plan to watch Rose Of Verselies soon too :3

Jun 30, 2013 2:04 PM

Well to some degree, just watched Neon Genesis and i could watch it, but i keep thinking how incredibly bad the animation is;)

Jul 8, 2013 5:40 AM

Depends on the art on my point of view

Jul 8, 2013 7:54 AM

sometimes yeah,cuz the art and graphic is so old but even these thing are interesting about them ^^

Jul 8, 2013 8:10 AM

Finished Trigun yesterday. Animation and art wasn't the best, but I didn't really have a problem with it. Started Cowboy Bebop yesterday. No problem there; the animation and art are better than some current series.
The problem with the world is that it's always one drink behind.

Jul 8, 2013 8:30 AM

Yes, but mainly because of the audio.

Jul 8, 2013 12:04 PM
It's quite the opposite, I often find myself preferring older anime to most recent titles.

Jul 8, 2013 12:09 PM

Nah not really, I grew up watching old anime.
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

Jul 8, 2013 1:17 PM

Cabron said:
Nah not really, I grew up watching old anime.

This. Plus the fact that the old anime also has good stories. They only differed in art style.

Jul 8, 2013 1:40 PM
It was not very easy to watch Zeta Gundam for me but I kinda adjusted with it abd enjoyed it alot, but I find it very difficult to watch anime from 70s like the original MS Gundam and Devilman, even Macross, mainly because of bad voice acting, terrible sound quality and colors schemes. I can accept everything graphically related, no matter how old, but not bad sound and acting.

Jul 8, 2013 1:58 PM

Yeah, I love anime, but for some reason just can't stand to watch bad quality ones :c!
I guess my tastes are just too spoiled now? :P

Jul 8, 2013 2:00 PM
It's not that it's difficult for me, it's just that half of the time I don't feel compelled to watch it and just flat out don't want to watch it in general.

Of course, lots of y'all dismiss this as shallow of me, but I've been watching anime wayyyyyyy after y'all.

Jul 8, 2013 2:10 PM

Admittedly I find it hard to start into older anime (I classify this as 1999 or earlier), but if it has a compelling story then it starts to grow on me. Most recent I can think of is Now and Then, Here and There. The art style doesn't sit well with me, but I've become so immersed in it that I can't even pay mind to that anymore. If anything, I just can't see it looking any other way.

Jul 8, 2013 2:14 PM

If I can watch the original journey to the center of the earth I can watch any old anime, unless they were done with crayons.

Jul 8, 2013 2:49 PM

It doesn't really matter to me really, if it's really bad then sadly I will not watch. The art and visual effects that I really liked from an old school Anime would have to be The Big O. Plus it's a great watch. Even though the Anime itself could have had better visual effects for its time - Just a 1999-2003 Anime. But still, I really fancy the shows special effects and visuals.
Escape to the World of Anime is a great Facebook page. Different than the mainstream ones. Plus we are more of a community instead of a page that ignores its fans. Go check us out!

Jul 8, 2013 3:46 PM

Not at all. I don't like how some of the new animes put so little effort into the artwork that it looks completely flat.

Jul 8, 2013 3:50 PM

Not at all. Some of the art in older anime look more real than art now. A few examples would be Golden boy and Dbz. One flaw I dislike about older anime is the sound quality, but other than that I'm perfectly fine with watching older anime.

Jul 8, 2013 3:50 PM

Maybe im just a spoiled brat but I only watch anime in hd ,,,

these standart definition gets in my nerves...

I dont really like the old animations anyways

Jul 8, 2013 3:56 PM

Hmm it'd feel abit awkward after all those fancy new ones. So I don't think I can keep up with it, maybe long ago I was tolerable with the old animation and all. Hmm...This can be difficult; think it'd depend on the series after all.

Jul 8, 2013 6:24 PM

Jul 8, 2013 6:31 PM
nope but i much prefer newer animation now a days though

Jul 8, 2013 6:36 PM

I have no problem watching old anime, some of my favorites are.

Jul 8, 2013 6:37 PM

No, Slayers kick ass lol
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.

Jul 8, 2013 6:50 PM

After a couple of episodes I get used to it so it doesn't really bother me much

But I definitely prefer the new anime's animation

Jul 8, 2013 8:53 PM

Visuals and animations are one of the top factors in I use when considering to watch an anime. which is why I only watch shows after 2007, other than a couple of exceptions.

Laputa: Castle in the sky, made in 1989 was great and that's one example of exception.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!

Jul 8, 2013 9:14 PM

Not at all, I adore old series, I get far more invested in their stories than a lot of newer series. It took a bit of getting used to the style at first, yes, but then the stories and characters I find are often better, so I keep going back to older things. Of my five currently watching series, the newest one is 1989-1990

Jul 8, 2013 10:00 PM

Topic Locked
This isn't really a discussion topic.
Anime Discussion Rules said:
Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, simple listing, etc.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]