Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 17, 2014 11:45 PM

Dec 2010
I was rooting for Shinobu, but in the end I'm glad that she lost, she learned more from the experience this way.

Amazing episode.
May 27, 2014 7:52 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
No surprise in her losing since Shinobu did say she was never able to bear Arata. Despite Arata not playing karuta for a while it would be even harder for Shinobu to guess what style he played.

She loses, has a fever, and Arata pets her forehead. Shinobu x Arata

I was hoping to see a Chihaya x Arata final, but it's all good.

I wonder how the finals went for Tsukuba and Desktomu.

Jun 10, 2014 9:10 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

I was tense until the end, I also believed that Shinobu could win, but Arata has passed.
I think the smile Shinobu was because he found a worthy opponent.
Poor parents Arata! LOL
Do not hurt the fact that you know there was a bracket for ArataXShinobu.
Arata is a good character, I do not understand the hatred towards him ...
Tomorrow comes the last episode, I hope they make another season of this show, because the second season has covered a very short span.
Jul 23, 2014 11:30 AM

Sep 2013
Wow that was a really intense match; the battle of the gods. And holy shit! Arata won. Arata, you are the god of karuta indeed.

Taichi won too, but who cares.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Dec 12, 2014 10:17 PM

Jan 2014
Arata won yesshh!! the match is so intense that made me sweating a lot
Jan 18, 2015 1:10 PM

Dec 2013
DC_Fulano said:
Amazing episode!

I hope this becomes romance, and that they form a new insanely powerful team on a third season

GG WP. Arata. Shinobu. <3

Good job Arata. Love you Shinobu. gg wp.

5/5. Can't wait to see what the last episode brings. I hope theres much more to come.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Mar 17, 2015 2:48 PM

Oct 2013
Uhhhh.....what an episode! Arata and Shinobu were great. I hope Shinobu relaxes a bit and gets a friend or two soon.
Apr 23, 2015 3:38 AM

Nov 2014
Arata is in a whole new level, Chihaya cannot be compared with him not even a bit!
Awesome match, awesome wins Taichi and Arata :D
Nov 11, 2015 10:28 AM
May 2015
Arata, you are the karuta god.
The best episode! I don't have enough word to describe how good this episode is.
IciBurn said:
My boy Arata's smile getting all the girls wet. Didn't realize what a lady killer the dude was.

Chihiya got jealous when Arata touched Shinobu's forehead. This better have season 3 someday. It's only to promote the manga but still. I never wanted a sequel to a series so much as this one.

Arata and Shinbou?? Do Chihaya realize she may have a new rival outside karut? ;)
Dec 30, 2015 12:45 AM

May 2013
He won!! So he go in Tokyo :D
Yes my ship is sail ^^ (taichi x arata x chihaya)
Feb 7, 2016 7:12 PM

Mar 2014
Super Class A Grand Finale : Wataya Arata vs. Wakamiya Shinobu .
Remedies of Poetry . Squeeze it in and out the sides ~ .
Oars of the Ocean . Deep breath prevailed .
Materialization of the Cards . Acceleration overflow and plethora of weapons ~ .
Demeanor of "Impassionate" . Matches of respiration and desperation .
Highest Degree of a National level . Smiles of nature .
HIGHLY EXCEPTIONAL EPISODE . "Naturally" .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2016 12:30 PM

Dec 2009
Yeah he took down the unbeaten Queen. Well done Arata! Next is the Master :D
Aug 2, 2016 4:12 PM
Jun 2013
Wow, this was probably the best match of the series for me. So intense and I really had no idea who would win. Very back and forth.

I'm kinda dreading this final episode because I know there's no season 3, but I can't wait to see everyone's reactions to Arata. Imo he has been given enough screen time. I'm happy to see him win, and to be such a great sport about it.
Sep 12, 2016 10:56 AM

Aug 2014
Well the anime clearly presents Arata at the first episodes as the king of Karuta.

So it was kinda expected he would win, loved the match.

Arata X Shinobu right now please!
Nov 4, 2016 8:24 AM

Dec 2015
do they have to mention the fever though? now having said that made it looked like thats the reason why she lost the match, because having a fever would definitely affect anyone's system whether you are aware of it or not. Anyways I'm not mad, I'm actually rooting for the Snow queen but either way Arata has to win as expected. besides shinobu losing was a good development for her character.

And Shinobu x Arata are so adorable together!
QueenSapphireNov 4, 2016 6:54 PM
Nov 7, 2016 5:42 AM

Dec 2014
okay so arata owned it pretty well..... I wished chihaya had taken more cards from the queen you know.... it seems there is so much difference between them
Mar 22, 2017 6:03 AM

Oct 2012
Arata's smile is probably the most impressive thing that you can see when playing Karuta
Imagine you're in tournament and your opponent just smiled at you
It's definitely going to disturb your pace/rhythm

Arata is secretly making a harem xD

Finally Arata won the tournament
So, my question is...
Where are Arata's parents at? How did they feel? xD
"Signature removed"
Mar 25, 2017 10:00 AM
Nov 2015
Snake hand.
Oh yeah arata looks scary af. Pls make him into a yandere.
And how taichi blushed to arata at the end.
Apr 25, 2017 12:22 PM

Feb 2013
Wow!
Arata defeated Shinobu, but she had a fever.
Jul 13, 2017 7:05 AM

Feb 2016
Why does this show continue to frustrate the hell out of me. Like the english whiteboard scene with fluent-japanese 'foreigners' and now inserting the implication that the fever was the reason the queen lost. Totally unnecessary, if you must, have at the start of the match, why cheapen Arata's hardwork with the "oh you have a fever" at the end of the match? Did it help with the character development? No. Did it help with plot progression? No.

Did it clearly frustrate a lot of viewers and leave most scratching their heads at the reason for the info slip? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yare yare daze.

I hope, I really hope, not all josei is like this, in terms of writing, because as a noob anime viewer, it really puts me off the genre and pushes me towards seinen once again.

At the end of the day, for all my pretenses, my rating boils down to enjoyment. Did I enjoy this show, what irked me, is the show worthy of a good score based as a one time watch. Is it so good, that it merits rewatches?

To that, Chihayafuru did admirably turning a card game into something exciting, unpredictable and just juicy with genuinely interesting stratagems, and a good emphasis on the importance of willpower and stamina in any sport or game. Did some of the episodes and parts of many episodes bore me? Yes. Would I rewatch it again? No. End conclusion, I cannot bring myself to give this franchise anything above 7/10.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 10, 2017 8:42 AM

Nov 2016
This got on me on the edge of my seat :O

Arata won after all, tho, I wasn't 100% sure until the very end.

Chihaya/5

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 18, 2017 4:15 PM
Oct 2016
I hate how this show always seems to throw in a catch in these matches. It was a interesting match to watch, but then they had to go "oh, but she had a fever". It's far to uncommon in this show to see two well matched opponents able to go all out without some handicap or shooting themselves in the foot, or just being a strait up ball of nerves.
Nov 28, 2017 5:25 PM

Feb 2015
I always love how perceptive Kana is to everyone around her. It was a great match until the end with a the fever bit which was a bit of a cop-out. Lol at Chihaya getting a bit jelly at Arata touching Shinobu.

May 6, 2018 6:18 AM

Apr 2016
NOOOOO Why?? Why Shinobu lost? If she were in perfect condition she would won the game...
Glad that she smiled after she lost the game..She found a perfect rival to improve..
Ganbare Shinobu!!!

Sep 25, 2018 7:30 AM

Aug 2017
Arata won , that’s great .
Feb 2, 2019 11:06 AM

Jan 2019
Ahh What an Episode ....
Feb 5, 2019 8:35 PM
Apr 2016
Awww, Chihaya & Taichi will NEVER reach Arata's nor Queen's level, they're too talented... Insane match, so damn intense that I couldn't breathe. Also I ship Arata x Queen, they're perfect together.
Mar 7, 2019 12:32 PM

May 2016
Sasuga Arata he calmness was way beyond human.

Arata x shinobu made Chihaya feel jealous for the first time and Taichi noticed it.
Aug 25, 2019 12:19 AM

Aug 2018
What a great episode!

We witness a high quality karuta game between the queen shinobu and future master arata

That win on arata was very convincing cuz on how calm he was through out the tournament compare to shinobu thats under the pressure cuz of shes uncomfortable in the environment (shes uncomfotble cuz she had a fever that explained why shes sweating a lot, thats rare to see shinobu sweats in a match). Arata won and maintain a lead that she had i hope chihaya wins like this not always winning from behind and having a miracle comeback or powerups.

Also lmao on snowmaru towel of Shinobu xD
With Shinobu's first lost she will be more lethal in upcoming season
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Sep 25, 2019 5:36 PM

Oct 2017
ok guys i think arata might possibly be good at the game
Nov 25, 2019 7:56 PM

Oct 2013
A match of giants, which was won by Arata! :D Shinobu was great as well. Very good battle!
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Dec 14, 2019 4:32 PM
Sep 2017
Ohhhh - when Arata sent that card flying towards Chihaya, and then looked over with that INSANELY SWEET & SEXY smile and said “gomen!” I would have been either in a puddle on the floor, or at the very least speechless, like she was, lol. So glad Arata won!
I’ve been wavering towards shipping Chihaya with him, or her with Taichi (leaning towards Arata), but honestly, I wouldn’t be toooo upset if Arata ended up with Shinobu and Chihaya with Taichi. Mainly I want my boy Arata happy!
Jan 6, 2020 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
Intense match, Arata's the best!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 25, 2020 5:02 AM
Jun 2013
I really don't care for Taichi x Chihaya...I've always wanted it to end with Chihaya x Arata... but Shinobu x Arata is so good!
Apr 2, 2020 7:57 PM

Apr 2016
I like how Arata always gives Shinobu a smile when she glares at him lol

Arata is OP! Chihaya and Taichi aren't anywhere near him. This episode was definitely better than the previous.
May 4, 2020 11:19 AM
Feb 2016
I was expecting this match to be a decisive win for Arata,but it was a lot closer than I expected. Kinda annoying that there always has to be a catch in these important matches and the win/lose for said person can be contested.

The fact that she had a fever tells us that she could have probably won the match,but it could also mean that Arata went easy on her considering that he was the first to figure it out,which kinda backfires against the narrative the author decided to portray.

Don't really know why they said she was tired because of the previous matches considering that Arata played 5 matches in a row just like her plus the team tournament,which would mean he is just as or even more tired than her.

This is what I meant with the underlying gender bias. Shinobu for whatever reason has to have 1001 reasons why she couldn't go all out,which feels like she's being belittled on the basis of her gender.
May 11, 2020 4:21 AM

Nov 2011
Fever or not, Arata does have a chance at beating Suo based on this match. Remember that Shinobu has stated that she can win most matches against Suo if the reader isn’t top-tier. Master/Queen matches obviously will have a top-tier reader, but it’s still within the realm of possibility.

Fun match. It was cool to get to hear Shinobu’s thoughts for a change. It makes it easier to connect with her character.
Aug 22, 2020 2:48 PM

Jul 2016
Aw, I was actually kinda rooting for the Queen.
Nov 16, 2020 5:46 PM

Mar 2012
MoonPhos said:
Aw, I was actually kinda rooting for the Queen.

Glad I'm not alone, when I read the comments here, I feel like I was the only one for Shinobu.
It totally destroy me that she lost against Arata (that I find boring if it wasn't enough)

And my hype is gone too. The "ultimate" opponent for the queen title have already lost.
Mar 23, 2021 12:00 AM

Aug 2018
YESS ARATA!!!!!!! AMAZING CHAPTER!!!.
The game was very tense and awesome. Very good
Apr 29, 2021 5:32 PM

Jan 2021
I wanted the queen to win sooo bad but then I remembered that Arata will only move to Tokyo if he wins the tournament then I switched up lol
Jun 12, 2021 7:21 AM

Apr 2021
way to go!

and only one episode remaining ;w; this season felt a bit faster than the previous one xD
i wish i was a cloud
Jul 14, 2021 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
I found the scene where Taichi instantly protected Chihaya (who just continued to look at Arata) against the flying card kinda symbolic for their relation. Even though Shinobu probably was weakened because of her fever, its still impressive how Arata managed to win considering his 18 month hiatus.

Jul 18, 2021 5:30 AM

Feb 2019
That was one intense match. I initially thought it was going to be a close win for Shinobu-chan, but when that final card was read I knew she was going to lose.

Arata's calm is indeed really freaky. I think it will intimidate ANY opponent. It even got on Shinobu-chan's nerves.

Also, I'm totally shipping Arata x Shinobu-chan ^^

And the committee members watching must be happy that they have someone who could potentially dethrone Suo Hisashi lol

I can't imagine how they're going to end the season. Maybe a moment with Chihaya, Taichi, and Arata together?
Aug 12, 2021 7:34 PM

Jan 2021
I actually kinda ship ArataxShinobu..O_O even though there’s chance of them ending up with together at all.
But I still have some hope.
Nov 21, 2021 7:51 AM

Aug 2011
Another intense season with a clueless MC, but it's so good it makes me want to go read the manga.

Great matches, and I am a total ShinobouXArata fan. Taichi, for pity's sakes, get your shit together man.
Nov 27, 2021 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
The queen LOST! DAMN
Apr 18, 2022 3:40 PM
Jul 2013
Temps said:
Hahaha, that moment when Chihaya-chan realized Taichi was a rival :>

Yes, you could sense what she was about to say the moment her face went serious.

The Queens VA did not sound like a teenager to me this ep.
Apr 13, 2023 8:56 PM

Jul 2016
Arata with those Dhalsim stretchy arms tho. I'm just imagining how much more OP he'd be if he had never quit (and if Shinobu would've won without a fever lol)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.