Forum Settings
Forums
Jun 21, 2013 4:07 AM

Look its 2013.

Anime is going to have SOME cgi in it. It lessens teh workload of the animators (i'd assume) and when done right it looks pretty awesome.

You peeps aren't doing anyone any favors by being purists. It just slows progress within society.

I say onward into the future of Paperman!

Jun 21, 2013 4:10 AM

Didn't know people hated it so much.

I just know when Gonzo uses it in their shows.

Jun 21, 2013 4:11 AM

Because it's badly made most of the time + the show sucks (Karas).

Jun 21, 2013 4:13 AM

More people should watch Urda.

Jun 21, 2013 4:31 AM

Ive yet to see an anime worth mentioning with bad CGI.

Bad CGI = Dreamworks.

Jun 21, 2013 4:38 AM

Jun 21, 2013 4:43 AM

Because if it is badly implemented it looks shit and destroys immersion.

Think of the Dragon in Fate/Stay Night

Or ANY Gonzo show.
That Mecha in Bokurano pissed me off. The fights were lame and the models looked bad.

There are shows which use CGI well, like Black Rock Shooter, that show looked pretty damn cool.
Even SnK has pretty nice CGI or the new Evangellion movies.

Some use pretty good cell shaded CGI, while others cheap.

Overall I think it's about impressivness.
Go watch old shows from the 80s or early 90s that have good animation and compare them to modern cgi using ones.
I think the drawn ones look more impressive than the CGI ones.

The End of Evangellion had cooler animation than the new movies, even though the new movies are not bad with their cgi.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXwerVFCY-50PTBnedey1PQ

Jun 21, 2013 4:53 AM

Liking old anime and old art makes you a total bro.

Jun 21, 2013 5:04 AM

SolviteSekai said:

What?

Captain Harlock CGI movie coming up looks fucking legit.

Modified by AtmosphericEntry, Jun 21, 2013 5:10 AM
the progeny of a dropped colony

Jun 21, 2013 5:07 AM

SolviteSekai said:

Then you're not a bro?

Jun 21, 2013 5:09 AM

YorozuyaGinSan said:
SolviteSekai said:

What?

Dayum I gotta watch the original series before that one.

Jun 21, 2013 5:09 AM
otaking
YorozuyaGinSan said:
SolviteSekai said:

What?

face palm
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Jun 21, 2013 5:13 AM
If you like CGI, good for you bro. But the common problem here is that people try to convince others to like the things they do. That's when idiotic arguments and flaming start.

Jun 21, 2013 5:14 AM

Hey, crappy CGI can be awesome. Look no further than School Rumble.

But anyway, what does CGI have to do with art style?

Jun 21, 2013 5:15 AM

It's hipster. people keep using shows that are a decade old as arguments and ignore the fact that the technology has advanced since then.
Too Old To Die Young

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Jun 21, 2013 5:19 AM

jal90 said:

...whaaaat? Did that happen in season 2?

Jun 21, 2013 5:23 AM

Nidstang said:
jal90 said:

...whaaaat? Did that happen in season 2?

No, just randomly brought scenes throughout the series. Like that Initial D parody in the very first episode.

Jun 21, 2013 5:27 AM

Because it's out of place. CGI an entire show from start to finish, that isn't a problem, throw in incredibly obvious 3D CG in a 2D show and then we got a problem. They've been improving the CGI but some are still pretty bad.

Jun 21, 2013 5:49 AM

I don't.

I like it.

Jun 21, 2013 5:50 AM

I can appreciate good CGI, but its just not my thing. We all have our preferences, deal with it.

Jun 21, 2013 6:02 AM

SolviteSekai said:

Bad CGI = Dreamworks.

Errr, the CGI in Dreamworks is absolutely top notch. It's just the movies themselves that just suck sometimes.

Most CGI in anime looks really cheap and cheesy most of the time.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage

Jun 21, 2013 6:11 AM
I don't dislike CGI if they do look good, but it would be better if the CGI mesh well with normal animation (Love Live! and Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live come into my mind).
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.

Jun 21, 2013 6:14 AM

People hate CGI because it looks awful most of the times. See Berserk and Kingdom. I have nothing against good CGI, but most of the time, people look really artificial in CGI (which tries to portray them more realistic than drawings).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Jun 21, 2013 6:25 AM

Some people hate CGI

Can't see why

Jun 21, 2013 6:29 AM

I'm ok with it. It's just that it kinda hurts my eyes when the anime was recently made but the CGI looks like it came from the 90's or something.
I understand they have budgeting issues, but I prefer not having video game like graphics in anime.

Jun 21, 2013 6:41 AM
Worst One

CGI is hit and miss really, I mean look at Berserker in Fate/Zero he is CGI but he looks amazing and actually blends in well with the rest of the show.

Jun 21, 2013 7:07 AM
It looks soulless, and it's rarely incorporated with 2d style animation (or live action) in a satisfactory way. I can tolerate a little bit if it's not a selling point, but I basically never like it when I notice it.

It's hipster. people keep using shows that are a decade old as arguments and ignore the fact that the technology has advanced since then.

Voice of the iPad generation.
Modified by Cbubbles, Jun 21, 2013 7:16 AM

Jun 21, 2013 7:16 AM

Cbubbles said:
It looks soulless, and it's rarely incorporated with 2d style animation (or live action) in a satisfactory way. I can tolerate a little bit if it's not a selling point, but I basically never like it when I notice it.

Funny how things seem to get worse artistically as technology "advances." I guess most people think that's an okay tradeoff.
The iPad generation.

^ lol the cell phone generation.

I NEEDS MY CARTOONS TO LOOK REALISTIC BRO

Jun 21, 2013 7:19 AM

I didn't really mind some usage til i wactched BERSERK GOLDEN AGE film. Utterly revolting. It took all the characters out of the... characters. I can't vouch for how it would have been hand drawn (the script was lacking too) but the awful fucking cgi made me want to puke.

Jun 21, 2013 7:33 AM

the stupid thing is that anime has 21(or 23) fps while CGI tends to be 30 or 60.
I can't understand why they're not capping it at 21!

Jun 21, 2013 7:46 AM

I think it's more or less a purity issue. Personally, I don't mind CGI in anime as long as its done well. I thought the great CGI fight scenes was one of the few good things Karas had going for it and while Gonzo's CGI reputation is bad, they knocked it out of the park with Last Exile.

Jun 21, 2013 8:06 AM

Paul said:
Because it's out of place. CGI an entire show from start to finish, that isn't a problem, throw in incredibly obvious 3D CG in a 2D show and then we got a problem.

Agreed, it sticks out like a sore thumb in an anime.

Jun 21, 2013 8:27 AM

SolviteSekai said:
Cbubbles said:

Funny how things seem to get worse artistically as technology "advances." I guess most people think that's an okay tradeoff.
The iPad generation.

^ lol the cell phone generation.

I NEEDS MY CARTOONS TO LOOK REALISTIC BRO

I don't get what any of you are trying to say and why you quoted me? Are you implying CGI technologically of ~2000 or the 90's in anime is artistically 'better' than recent one? And what is an iPad?
Too Old To Die Young

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Jun 21, 2013 10:14 AM

Oblvion Island looks great.

Straight Title Robot Anime...not so much.

So it depends.
Nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it state that Humpty is an egg.
"See you later, space cowboy." -moot 1/23/2015

Jun 21, 2013 10:26 AM

When it is out of place, or when it causes things to look... wrong... that is when I don't like it.

Basically, the more I notice it, the less I like it. I guess that is the case for other people too. And if they don't even realise CGI is there, they won't think about it when they evaluate whether or not CGI is good for anime.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Jun 21, 2013 10:31 AM

Because often times it's done bad. If it was well executed nobody would hate it, but the thing is, it's not.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.

Jun 21, 2013 10:36 AM

It looks cheesy and bad most of the time. That being said, Beast Wars, while not an anime, was still the shit.

Jun 21, 2013 10:39 AM

the only time it bothered me was tiger and bunny cause it was all throughout it and generally didnt look good, but even then the writing made up for it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 21, 2013 10:41 AM

It's not always bad. The Fate series has a bad history with CGI, the tongue monster in Fate/Zero and the dragon in Fate/Stay Night looked fucking awful, but Shingeki's CGI looks really good, you almost can't tell it's there.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush

Jun 21, 2013 10:42 AM

I'm ok when it's used for mecchas or landscapes.

Jun 21, 2013 10:45 AM

The Berserk movies are done in CGI right? Yeah I'd rather watch the anime series' animation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 21, 2013 10:48 AM

MajinSaga said:
SolviteSekai said:

Bad CGI = Dreamworks.

Errr, the CGI in Dreamworks is absolutely top notch. It's just the movies themselves that just suck sometimes.
I thought Schrek was really good...
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush

Jun 21, 2013 10:48 AM

Aren't most anime today computer graphics anyway? I thought, since a few years now, they only "imitate" the traditional animation through CG.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.

Jun 21, 2013 10:51 AM

SharifEbeefE said:
The Berserk movies are done in CGI right? Yeah I'd rather watch the anime series' animation.

I never watched it but most Beserk 'fans' I see hate the CG in it.

Jun 21, 2013 11:03 AM

some cgi is good some is just so god damn awkward

example the bugs from letter bee they look like robots not bugs

the aliens from gundam 00 movie
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.”

Jun 21, 2013 11:04 AM

hazerddex said:

It's- It's like they copy and pasted a toy car into the anime.

Jun 21, 2013 11:05 AM

Paul said:
hazerddex said:

lol, they overdid it with the CGI here.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.

Jun 21, 2013 11:07 AM

Paul said:
hazerddex said:

oh god my eyes
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.”

Jun 21, 2013 11:11 AM

I loved the CGI in Macross Frontier; hated it in Blassreiter and Black Rock Shooter (TV)
Modified by Maor, Jun 21, 2013 11:19 AM

Jun 21, 2013 11:15 AM

Houndthree said:
I loved the CGI in Macross Frontier; hated it in Blassreiter and Black Rock Shooter

i did not see any cgi in black rock shooter.......

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »