Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 20, 2013 8:57 PM

Mar 2012
Tavor said:
Whoa hold off on Madoka movie spoilers pls

Soz, okay put in spoilers, it ain't official its just what I manged to gather from the trailer
Jun 20, 2013 8:59 PM

Oct 2012
ElPysCongroo said:
Tavor said:
Whoa hold off on Madoka movie spoilers pls

Soz, okay put in spoilers, it ain't official its just what I manged to gather from the trailer

Oh my bad, didn't know it was from the trailer; never mind then lol

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 20, 2013 9:00 PM
Sep 2011
ZeroReq011 said:

Isn't each timeline a month?

They are, but in the first timeline, Homura is saved by Madoka one week after the latter made the contract. Right from their initial conversation in the hallway we can see this is a completely different Madoka from the indecisive, insecure crybaby we've been watching this whole time.
Jun 20, 2013 9:01 PM

Jan 2012
haven't seen the movies?aren't they the same story or add a few scenes?or they milking the franchise as much as they can?
oh and bokurano > madoka
Jun 20, 2013 9:02 PM

Mar 2012
renders said:
haven't seen the movies?aren't they the same story or add a few scenes?or they milking the franchise as much as they can?

The first 2 films are retelling, with new animation blah blah blah the third film is new content post series
Jun 20, 2013 9:03 PM

Mar 2012
renders said:
It add a few scene I belive for first and second. And the third movie is brand new story.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.

Jan 2011
it was good for the most part,the only things i didnt like were the characters, it was annoying that the characters were constantly dying only to get resurrected with the time travelling bullshit... other than that i liked it
Dec 2012
RLinksoul said:
ZeroReq011 said:

Isn't each timeline a month?

They are, but in the first timeline, Homura is saved by Madoka one week after the latter made the contract. Right from their initial conversation in the hallway we can see this is a completely different Madoka from the indecisive, insecure crybaby we've been watching this whole time.

How do we know Madoka didn't make the contract beforehand? Homura could have just discovered her magical girl identity toward the end.

Feb 2010
I'm only waiting for movie three. End of Madokaleon baby~!
Jun 20, 2013 9:04 PM

Jul 2011
renders said:
oh and bokurano > madoka

Yes
Not at all
Jun 20, 2013 9:04 PM

Oct 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
I'm only waiting for movie three. End of Madokaleon baby~!

Why MAL, why must you be amusing with Eva references, WHY!

Jun 20, 2013 9:05 PM

Jan 2012
NeoAnkara said:
renders said:
It add a few scene I belive for first and second. And the third movie is brand new story.

that sounds like milking to me...I can't blame them dou it is popular so it makes money
Jun 20, 2013 9:06 PM

Oct 2012
renders said:
NeoAnkara said:
renders said:

that sounds like milking to me...I can't blame them dou it is popular so it makes money

Evangelion does the same thing anyway.

Jun 20, 2013 9:06 PM
Sep 2011
ZeroReq011 said:

How do we know Madoka didn't make the contract beforehand? Homura could have just discovered her magical girl identity toward the end.

Because when Madoka, Homura, Mami and Kyubey are sitting at the table together, it is explicitly mentioned that Madoka has only been a magical girl for a week.

And I love how we never see Madoka's ring or fingernail mark. Like they're trying to hide the fact that she's a magical girl until they can whip it out in yet another surprise where one character dramatically appears to save another.
Jun 20, 2013 9:07 PM
Dec 2012
NeoAnkara said:
renders said:

While the 1st and 2nd Movies are retellings, I hear, in addition to new scenes, the visuals were mostly, if not completely, overhauled with better art and animation in addition to revisions. From I've also gathered, its a push by Shaft to make the show more mainstream, reworking it in a format that's palatable for theater-going audiences.

3rd is new content.
Jun 20, 2013 9:07 PM

Mar 2012
renders said:
NeoAnkara said:
renders said:

Well it is milking.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 20, 2013 9:08 PM

Mar 2012
renders said:
NeoAnkara said:
renders said:

Jun 20, 2013 9:08 PM

Jan 2012
ElPysCongroo said:
renders said:
NeoAnkara said:
renders said:

haha...gigguk xD
Jun 20, 2013 9:10 PM

Mar 2012
Haha yes thats what I though of when you mentioned milking it, so I tried to find the pic gigguk used.
Jun 20, 2013 9:37 PM

Feb 2013
Madoka is pretty good, but I don't know if I'd call it better than Sailor Moon seeing as it borrowed pretty heavily from it, other than that I'm not too familiar with the magical girl genre.
Jun 21, 2013 6:15 AM

Mar 2012
I'd say Madoka Magica is better than any other magical girl anime I've seen thus far, but there's really no comparison.

Heartcatch Precure thoughtfully uses magical girl tropes to create fantastic action/slice of life series with a lot of heart whereas Madoka is an intricately crafted and thought provoking tragedy that's only loosely based around the long established genre. They're both great shows but for completely different reasons.
SeibaaHomuJun 21, 2013 6:48 AM
Jun 21, 2013 6:15 AM
May 2010
CNile said:
Madoka isn't a magical girl anime, it is a deconstruction of the magical girl genre. Also, I am fucking sick of people saying Madoka is dark. Watch No Longer Human or Hellsing Ultimate, then tell me Madoka is dark.

I suspect I have a very different view of the ending of Madoka to you, because the ending of Madoka was as dark as anything else ive come across in fiction, personally.

renders said:
RandomPerson3 said:
renders said:
I can't believe people praise this show...seriously:

You can't believe people have different opinions than you?
That's shocking Digimon.

i guess those people did not watch enough shows to realise there's nothing original about this anime,just stuff from other...animes

Thats just stupid. I have seen easily enough to comment on Madoka in those ways, and it was great.

What now?
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 21, 2013 6:42 AM

Mar 2012
renders said:
Madoka is a desconstruction of the genre and it blows
but that's wrong.jpg

renders said:

i guess those people did not watch enough shows to realise there's nothing original about this anime,just stuff from other...animes

I have more experience with magical girls than you buddo. It's clear to me that Madoka was literally 2deep4u
SeibaaHomuJun 21, 2013 6:46 AM
Jun 21, 2013 6:45 AM

Mar 2013
Gorim said:
renders said:
oh and i noticed the op barely watched 17 anime
so I dunno what to make of that,you remind me of people that barely watched a few shows and go from naruto to death note than go to forums calling it the best anime evar

There are reasons why hype exists for certain series and that hype might last for decades. One of the reasons is luck, another one is marketing and third one is the quality of the series itself. I don't think OP is alone when Madoka is ranked 38th in MAL. For instance a series you mentioned before Kamikaze kaitou Jeanne ranked 1347th. Now I don't mean that MAL ranking means much but it is directional. Most people who have seen Madoka think that it was a great series and rate it so, where most people on MAL who have watched Jeanne never really found it to be that special. This might just mean majority has shit taste which they obviously do.

I think it's a bad approach to look at Madoka in light where you analyze it for it's lack of originality. Anime rarely ever is good because of it's originality. Steins;Gate did not invent time traveling the writers have borrowed ideas from other works and science but represented in it's own way. Madoka sure has borrowed ideas from all over just like 99% of anime. Magical Girl series never were the most originality depending genre to begin with.

When you will watch enough anime and start to understand japanese culture (after visiting the country few times) you'll start to understand that they are very conservative. They value refining something that has been already created by someone else over creating something entirely new themselves. They don't usually make rash decisions but like to take their time pondering all the available choices, deciding what kind of anime to make is a long process and it needs to be accepted by all members who will work with that project not just the top brass. Why most of anime is very similar and repetitive is because japanese fear making mistakes and something that has been already proven to be very good method to gain money is easily used again. Ofcourse this also creates a feeling of familiarity with the viewer.

Couldn't of said it better myself. I'd go so far as to say if your going to judge anime based on originality then you might as well stop watching it entirely. The ideas are all played out already, now what is left is to put your own personal spin on these ideas. That is exactly what the creators of Madoka did, they took the known tropes of the Magical girl Genre and put their own dark spin on it, and gave the visuals and sound track to back that plot up.

Its not just Anime/manga that are doing this either. Just take a look at all these super hero movies popping up; Are they original, NO, do they put their own spin on the idea, YES.

Hell even Disney gets in on this re imagining idea. Take Lion King, few people know (and Disney denies that) that the origin of the story can be found in one of the first color anime to show up "Kimba the white Lion" or "Jungle Emperor." They share every thing from similar names like "Kimba" and "Simba", "Booboo" and "Scar" and even have the baboon and snooty bird. Does this take away from Lion king being a great movie, not in my opinion.

www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/ripoffs/lion2.jpg" />

So really its not whether Madoka is original or not, but whether they use the existing tropes in new and interesting ways, which they accomplished.
Jun 22, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2012
Gorim said:
renders said:
so I dunno what to make of that,you remind me of people that barely watched a few shows and go from naruto to death note than go to forums calling it the best anime evar

There are reasons why hype exists for certain series and that hype might last for decades. One of the reasons is luck, another one is marketing and third one is the quality of the series itself. I don't think OP is alone when Madoka is ranked 38th in MAL. For instance a series you mentioned before Kamikaze kaitou Jeanne ranked 1347th. Now I don't mean that MAL ranking means much but it is directional. Most people who have seen Madoka think that it was a great series and rate it so, where most people on MAL who have watched Jeanne never really found it to be that special. This might just mean majority has shit taste which they obviously do.

I think it's a bad approach to look at Madoka in light where you analyze it for it's lack of originality. Anime rarely ever is good because of it's originality. Steins;Gate did not invent time traveling the writers have borrowed ideas from other works and science but represented in it's own way. Madoka sure has borrowed ideas from all over just like 99% of anime. Magical Girl series never were the most originality depending genre to begin with.

When you will watch enough anime and start to understand japanese culture (after visiting the country few times) you'll start to understand that they are very conservative. They value refining something that has been already created by someone else over creating something entirely new themselves. They don't usually make rash decisions but like to take their time pondering all the available choices, deciding what kind of anime to make is a long process and it needs to be accepted by all members who will work with that project not just the top brass. Why most of anime is very similar and repetitive is because japanese fear making mistakes and something that has been already proven to be very good method to gain money is easily used again. Ofcourse this also creates a feeling of familiarity with the viewer.

Finally a logical and well thought argument.But while they do take their own spin on it it's still reallt not that great.The visuals are beautiful but the characters are bad
and @Saberitsu I know I could never expect a mature answer from a kid like you,even if you have seen more shows of the genre you haven't seen more shows than me period
Jun 22, 2013 11:49 AM
May 2010
renders said:
Gorim said:
renders said:

Finally a logical and well thought argument.But while they do take their own spin on it it's still reallt not that great.The visuals are beautiful but the characters are bad
and @Saberitsu I know I could never expect a mature answer from a kid like you,even if you have seen more shows of the genre you haven't seen more shows than me period

Does anyone else think its fairly funny when he comments on someone finally posting a 'well thought out and logical' argument when his can basically be summed up with 'I dont like the characters, and some of you havent watched enough mahou shoujo anime to comment on this.
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 22, 2013 11:51 AM
Feb 2012
SaberRitsu said:
renders said:
Madoka is a desconstruction of the genre and it blows
but that's wrong.jpg

renders said:

I have more experience with magical girls than you buddo. It's clear to me that Madoka was literally 2deep4u

battle shounen: only genre that matters
Jun 22, 2013 12:00 PM

Jan 2012
miereneronaile said:
renders said:
Gorim said:
renders said:

Does anyone else think its fairly funny when he comments on someone finally posting a 'well thought out and logical' argument when his can basically be summed up with 'I dont like the characters, and some of you havent watched enough mahou shoujo anime to comment on this.

What would be the point is writing a massive well thought text about why the characters are bad and undeveloped because they focused more on telling us about how the mahou shoujo system works and how it's fueled by evil aliens who eat lolis,it's not like the blinded fanboys will see things differently
Jun 22, 2013 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
renders said:
miereneronaile said:
renders said:
Gorim said:
renders said:

What would be the point is writing a massive well thought text about why the characters are bad and undeveloped because they focused more on telling us about how the mahou shoujo system works and how it's fueled by evil aliens who eat lolis,it's not like the blinded fanboys will see things differently

Cool story bro.
Jun 22, 2013 12:22 PM

Oct 2010
What is the actual problem with the characters in Madoka magica, anyway?
Jun 22, 2013 12:28 PM

Apr 2012
Apparently critics are looking for originality. *keels over and laughs*

OMG STEINS GATE COPIED STAR TREK WTF!

Jun 22, 2013 12:35 PM
Dec 2012
renders said:

If you're going to denigrate a show, you're going have to be specific about what you didn't like. You look like a pretentious asshole otherwise.

Now, what didn't you like about the characters?
ZeroReq011Jun 22, 2013 12:42 PM
Jun 22, 2013 12:38 PM

Oct 2012
renders just takes a long while to render his thoughts like Adobe After Effects CS6 running on 1GB of RAM trying to render 1080p worth of video footage.

Jun 22, 2013 12:43 PM
Feb 2012
renders said:
miereneronaile said:
renders said:
Gorim said:
renders said:

MajinSaga has a boyfriend?
Jun 22, 2013 12:45 PM
May 2010
renders said:
miereneronaile said:
renders said:
Gorim said:
renders said:

Well, the main point would be giving your other comments some ground to stand on. Instead, you just say everyone else is being illogical but totally fail to put forth any logical arguments yourself.
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 22, 2013 12:50 PM
Feb 2012
miereneronaile said:
renders said:
miereneronaile said:
renders said:
Gorim said:
renders said:

Well, the main point would be giving your other comments some ground to stand on. Instead, you just say everyone else is being illogical but totally fail to put forth any logical arguments yourself.

He also has Toradora in his favorites as he constantly chides us for liking lolis, I laughed.
Jun 22, 2013 12:54 PM

Jan 2012
I don't have anything against lolis^
and to give a proper argument about the characters I'd have to rewatch the show since I've seen it like a year ago and I can't remember everything but I do remember the main pink girl was the female shinji hikari version...or was it the kristen stewart anime version?
Jun 22, 2013 12:55 PM
Dec 2012
renders said:
and to give a proper argument about the characters I'd have to rewatch the show since I've seen it like a year ago and I can't remember everything but I do remember the main pink girl was the female shinji hikari version...or was it the kristen stewart anime version?

That's a proper argument?

Oct 2012
renders said:
but I do remember the main pink girl was the female shinji hikari version...

I..I can't. No. Stop it. Please.

Apr 2012
renders said:

trolololo

Jun 22, 2013 12:58 PM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:

bwahahahaha
Jun 22, 2013 12:59 PM

Apr 2012
obviously madoka is the female version of Eren in SNK derps

Feb 2012
renders said:

You don't watch anime then.

Oct 2012
renders said:
Tavor said:
renders said:

bwahahahaha

Shinji was a whiny bitch that wanted to avoid conflict. Madoka wanted to eagerly help her friends while giving it some serious thought.

She is (not) the female version of Shinji.

Jun 22, 2013 1:01 PM
Feb 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:
Tavor said:
renders said:

bwahahahaha

Shinji was a whiny bitch that wanted to avoid conflict. Madoka wanted to eagerly help her friends while giving it some serious thought.

Comparing the two is like saying dog is spelt c-a-t.

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:
Tavor said:
renders said:

bwahahahaha

Ok I'll have to rewatch it then

Apr 2012
you guys are obviously being trolled ._. i don't even now why you respond ._.

Jun 22, 2013 1:02 PM

Jan 2012
Zeally said:
you guys are obviously being trolled ._. i don't even now why you respond ._.

now why you had to ruin everything?
Jun 22, 2013 1:03 PM

Apr 2012
NOW MAKE A WISH

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Jun 22, 2013 1:05 PM
Dec 2012
Tavor said:
renders said:
Tavor said:
renders said:

bwahahahaha

It was always in her nature to be helpful. She's just always been on that fine line between being useless and burdensome.

ZeroReq011 said:
The follow through with her decision combined with the power she was able to wield as a magical girl allowed her to be as confident as she was in Episode 10. During Episodes 1-9, she also didn't have to consider having a mysterious transfer student taking an interest in her, nor have her mentor masticated and ingested before her eyes. Nor did she discover why soul gems are called such, or learn the truth behind the purpose of magical girls.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.