Forum Settings
Forums

How to Adapt This Into An Anime (full spoilers, obviously)

Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Dec 10, 2013 5:26 PM

Naoki-Saten said:
After thinking about it for a while, I concluded that there are actually a lot of possibilities to adapt Rewrite - that is, if you're prepared to cut corners and seriously piss off all VN fans.

There's Madhouse in which I heard that they never butchered any source materials.

Plus, like I said, I believe it can be adapted well... if they're prepared to put tons of effort and especially budget on it without worrying about the sales(Someting like Ufotable).

Dec 11, 2013 5:34 AM
Naoki-Saten said:
After thinking about it for a while, I concluded that there are actually a lot of possibilities to adapt Rewrite - that is, if you're prepared to cut corners and seriously piss off all VN fans.

For example, you could simply remove a heroine or two.
Take Kotori: Apart from an unconfirmed role in Shizuru's route, she has zero involvement in the other heroine's routes. Her only significant trait is that she saved Kotarou as a child and indirectly granted him his Aurora power. They COULD change it so that the Key did that on her own accord or somehow make chibi Akane take her place. Sure, her route does a good job of explaining the principle behind familiars. But if it's just explanations, those can be done elsewhere...
It's even easier with Lucia. Her short appearance in Shizuru's route is the only one she ever had in any route but her own. (Though I admit: removing one of the most popular routes would be one heck of a risk)

Sounds ugly but it's not entirely impossible.

Removing Kotori would be far from acceptable. Replacing her by Akane is just not gonna work to me. Without her, all the common route has te be remained since she is his only friend at the beginning. Her route is surely not that necessary (even though being one of those I enjoyed most) in the whole plot, but Kotori herself has her importance in Kotarou's past, is his first love interest and helped him during the last part of Terra.

However, like I said on the club comments, I agree that Lucia can be easily removed. Maybe Shizuru as well. I mean, we already have a Guardian point of view during Terra after all.

Basically, they could do something like Common route - Chihaya - Akane in the first season, then Moon and Terra in a second one. But clearly, it would be far from a good adaptation.

Dec 11, 2013 6:17 AM

Ol-Hybrius said:
Naoki-Saten said:

For example, you could simply remove a heroine or two.
Take Kotori: Apart from an unconfirmed role in Shizuru's route, she has zero involvement in the other heroine's routes. Her only significant trait is that she saved Kotarou as a child and indirectly granted him his Aurora power. They COULD change it so that the Key did that on her own accord or somehow make chibi Akane take her place. Sure, her route does a good job of explaining the principle behind familiars. But if it's just explanations, those can be done elsewhere...
It's even easier with Lucia. Her short appearance in Shizuru's route is the only one she ever had in any route but her own. (Though I admit: removing one of the most popular routes would be one heck of a risk)

Sounds ugly but it's not entirely impossible.

Removing Kotori would be far from acceptable. Replacing her by Akane is just not gonna work to me. Without her, all the common route has te be remained since she is his only friend at the beginning. Her route is surely not that necessary (even though being one of those I enjoyed most) in the whole plot, but Kotori herself has her importance in Kotarou's past, is his first love interest and helped him during the last part of Terra.

However, like I said on the club comments, I agree that Lucia can be easily removed. Maybe Shizuru as well. I mean, we already have a Guardian point of view during Terra after all.

Basically, they could do something like Common route - Chihaya - Akane in the first season, then Moon and Terra in a second one. But clearly, it would be far from a good adaptation.

It's possible to cut corners even more.
Ok, let's say Kotori remains as a character but she really just remains a totally normal civilian instead of a druid. Then how did Kotarou gain Aurora? We could say he had them from the beginning and they're unrelated to the Key. We could say a ribbon just so happened to get stuck in him when he attacked Kagari for the first time (silly, I know). Or maybe the Key has 'chosen' Kotarou back then, granting him the Aurora.

Similarly, keep Lucia's character but don't animate her route. Just pretend like her power is much more convenient and not all that dramatic.

Shizuru... well, I guess her route can be sacrificed, too. Just upgrade the 'Salvation' in Akane's route to the level of the real thing and nothing of utmost importance would be lost.

GAWD, I'd be so pissed if they did all that xD
Especially if they exclude some girls but keep Immamiya and Nishikujou in Terra, my piss-off-meter would be off the charts...

Dec 11, 2013 6:32 AM
Naoki-Saten said:
It's possible to cut corners even more.
Ok, let's say Kotori remains as a character but she really just remains a totally normal civilian instead of a druid. Then how did Kotarou gain Aurora? We could say he had them from the beginning and they're unrelated to the Key. We could say a ribbon just so happened to get stuck in him when he attacked Kagari for the first time (silly, I know). Or maybe the Key has 'chosen' Kotarou back then, granting him the Aurora.

Similarly, keep Lucia's character but don't animate her route. Just pretend like her power is much more convenient and not all that dramatic.

Shizuru... well, I guess her route can be sacrificed, too. Just upgrade the 'Salvation' in Akane's route to the level of the real thing and nothing of utmost importance would be lost.

GAWD, I'd be so pissed if they did all that xD
Especially if they exclude some girls but keep Immamiya and Nishikujou in Terra, my piss-off-meter would be off the charts...

I could praise them if they remove Gil and Pani. Never seen such useless characters with a sprite. Even Silver Fang would have deserved one more than them.

I don't know what everyone have with Imamiya and Nishikujou, they are pretty good characters to me. The trio had some good scenes sometimes. Reinforcing the bonds between the three of them could have make the betrayal even worse at the end.

Guess the only route which could be done well no matter what would be Moon.

Dec 11, 2013 7:07 AM

Gil and Pani... I always forget them ^^
No matter how good or bad an adaption it'll turn out to be, Those two definitely shouldn't show up.

Ol-Hybrius said:
I don't know what everyone have with Imamiya and Nishikujou, they are pretty good characters to me. The trio had some good scenes sometimes. Reinforcing the bonds between the three of them could have make the betrayal even worse at the end.

Immamiya is the lowest of scum and definitely the most despicable character in all of Rewrite. He sucks up to those who are superior and treats those below him like trash. In Kotori's and Akane's routes, he didn't hesitate and was super close to killing Kotarou. He doesn't open up to anyone and never acts on emotions. He's just cold-blooded killer.

Nishikujou seems to have something like a split personality. She's nothing like her past self until she opens those creepy eyes of her - and then she's basically just an icy lump of hatred to all that's related to familiars. It's the total opposite of how she acts outside of conflicts.

Kotarou went over mountains of corpses in Terra, so simply betraying those two without killing them would be easy no matter how good friends they've become. I'm actually amazed that Kotarou could ever forgive them...

Dec 11, 2013 8:46 AM
Naoki-Saten said:
Immamiya is the lowest of scum and definitely the most despicable character in all of Rewrite. He sucks up to those who are superior and treats those below him like trash. In Kotori's and Akane's routes, he didn't hesitate and was super close to killing Kotarou. He doesn't open up to anyone and never acts on emotions. He's just cold-blooded killer.

Nishikujou seems to have something like a split personality. She's nothing like her past self until she opens those creepy eyes of her - and then she's basically just an icy lump of hatred to all that's related to familiars. It's the total opposite of how she acts outside of conflicts.

Kotarou went over mountains of corpses in Terra, so simply betraying those two without killing them would be easy no matter how good friends they've become. I'm actually amazed that Kotarou could ever forgive them...

I think it's part of being in Guardian. They're all soldiers and have to follow the orders no matter what. Imamiya clearly devoted his entire life to Guardian, while Nishikujou has still her dream of being a teacher. Moreover like Imamiya said during Terra, superhuman are overconfident people, Kotarou being an exception. Thus, I don't see them as bad people or something. They just do what they're telling to for the sake of the human kind (or so they think).

Dec 17, 2013 3:55 AM

Here's another random thought I had thinking about adaption and stuff:

Since Rewrite isn't a nakige, isn't it actually easier to adapt than most of Key's VNs? The adaption would have more liberties with HOW EXACTLY to animate certain scenes and which scenes to exclude since they don't have to pay so much attention to making the viewers fall in love with the characters and produce feels, which is rather tricky.

I think we all agree on omnibus being the only plausible format for a Rewrite adaption.
So... the biggest difficulty here is the length, but the details should be easier compared to other Key VNs.

Dec 17, 2013 4:08 AM

Naoki-Saten said:
Here's another random thought I had thinking about adaption and stuff:

Since Rewrite isn't a nakige, isn't it actually easier to adapt than most of Key's VNs? The adaption would have more liberties with HOW EXACTLY to animate certain scenes and which scenes to exclude since they don't have to pay so much attention to making the viewers fall in love with the characters and produce feels, which is rather tricky.

I think we all agree on omnibus being the only plausible format for a Rewrite adaption.
So... the biggest difficulty here is the length, but the details should be easier compared to other Key VNs.

They don´t have to worry about making us fall in love with the characters, but I do think Rewrite is quite tricky to adapt. Not only because of the need to use omnibus, which if used incorrectly will screw up the adaptation, but also because some routes are more difficult to adapt than others. Chihaya´s route is mostly battles, but Lucia´s route for instance is a little different.

Dec 17, 2013 4:19 AM

Naoki-Saten said:

So... the biggest difficulty here is the length

Actually, that's the cause of "is there any studio willing to risk a VERY huge budget for Rewrite anime?". Yes, even if they plan to make it a decent adaptation, it still needs a huge budget because of its length. Not to mention that they would get worried on its future sales but if they want to make the adaptation successful so it'll get more sales, then they should be prepared for risking a very huge budget.

Length is the very reason why Rewrite is hard to adapt. Even it's easy trim down the Common route events, it's very hard for the heroine routes.

Dec 17, 2013 1:05 PM

I can almost guarantee they either won't adapt Lucia's or they will completely butcher it. Much like how Haruka's route was butchered in the Little Busters adaption.

It's just too long for them to devote that much time too. Unless they are willing to give Rewrite like 70 episodes I severely doubt they will bother. It's not even important to the story anyway.

We'll say at best...they are going to give us 50 episodes (which is really really unlikely). What are they going to do with those 50 ish episodes is the main question.

The only thing I can think of is basically have no common route at all. Which wouldn't be much fun but they might be able to shove the whole story in there in 50 episodes without it.
Modified by hyperknees91, Dec 17, 2013 1:09 PM

Dec 17, 2013 2:31 PM

hyperknees91 said:
I can almost guarantee they either won't adapt Lucia's or they will completely butcher it. Much like how Haruka's route was butchered in the Little Busters adaption.

Umm... actually, if they do adapt Lucia's route, it would be the LEAST butchered. If I remember correctly, if you take out the common route events, Lucia's route is the shortest and has the smallest line count.

My savefiles have 10 events of common route events related to Lucia:

4x eating spicy food
1x Kotarou trying to find out why Lucia is wearing gloves (and revealing Yoshino's Chuunibyou past!)
1x Lucia showing how dutiful she is about sorting and recycling trash
1x Lucia rejecting the hissy cat
1x Lucia refusing to touch a ball
1x Kotarou asking around about Lucia's past + foreshadowing/flashback about poison
1x eating spicy parfait and making up with Chihaya

You could minimize those events to 3 or 4 and nothing of value would be lost.

And since the rest of her route is shorter compared to all the others, it would be the least butchered one... except they decide to shorten it by an episode or two for whatever reason...

Dec 17, 2013 2:47 PM

huh it felt like the longest, but I know Chihaya and Akane's were longer.

Though imagine it all in 5 episodes, because that's the max I can see dedicated towards her (or any girl).

1. Ball and cat problem along with Chihaya make up
2. Horror problem start
3. Horror problem end
4. Date, then Psychological breakdown
5. Big fight at the end.

Yeah that sounds kinda messy to me, but I can't see them dedicating more than that to her. Though if we took out all the romance maybe it would work better.
Modified by hyperknees91, Dec 17, 2013 2:50 PM

Dec 17, 2013 7:34 PM

hyperknees91 said:
Though if we took out all the romance maybe it would work better.

LOL. shouldn't be worse?

Naoki-Saten said:

4x eating spicy food
1x Kotarou trying to find out why Lucia is wearing gloves (and revealing Yoshino's Chuunibyou past!)
1x Lucia showing how dutiful she is about sorting and recycling trash
1x Lucia rejecting the hissy cat
1x Lucia refusing to touch a ball
1x Kotarou asking around about Lucia's past + foreshadowing/flashback about poison
1x eating spicy parfait and making up with Chihaya

You could minimize those events to 3 or 4 and nothing of value would be lost.

And since the rest of her route is shorter compared to all the others, it would be the least butchered one... except they decide to shorten it by an episode or two for whatever reason...

As far as I concern, at least they should do the eating spicy food once or twice because omitting the others would be kind of problematic in my opinion because, besides the eating spicy food stuff, the others are for the build up towards Lucia's route and for the revelation for the future events, questions and answers, etc.

Dec 17, 2013 7:51 PM

Well it will be worse in terms of pleasing the fans but it will be better in trying to get the plot across to the anime only viewers...probably. I'm just thinking in terms of time constraints here.

If Rewrite gets 70 episodes though they can have as much romance as they want.

Dec 17, 2013 8:29 PM

What I mean is, isn't Lucia's route all about romance so if they omit the romance of Lucia's route for the sake of the "main plot of Rewrite", shouldn't be better off not existing overall in adaptation instead of removing the romance? Because without romance of Lucia's route, it's nothing.

Sure LB Haruka's route, romance is, somehow more or less, vital but because they need to omit it on the anime adaptation because it's on continuous format, the result looked butchered or unnatural at some point but still the main parts are still intact because Haruka's route isn't mostly about romance. (But I admit I got pissed when I learned that no romance are included)

Dec 17, 2013 11:12 PM

If they remove Rewrite´s romance with the heroines, the adaptation will be kinda bad. We already agreed that it has to rely on the omnibus format, so cutting the romance would be kind of stupid anyway, and since Lucia´s route relies alot in the romance factor, if you take that out, there wont really be anything left.

It only makes sense that they keep the romance intact.

Dec 18, 2013 4:09 AM

I just don't see them bothering with any romance. It's not necessary for Lucia as it's more about her problem then her actual romance. The romance is just kind of nice, but hardly something you couldn't write around. If they add it I can imagine it coming across as insanely rushed or just shoved in there for the sake of it.

I'll be in the minority when I say this. But I think they are better off doing their own thing with a Rewrite adaption rather than actually trying to adopt the source material accurately. It's just going to be a massive mess (and the VN story is already a mess) if they try to adapt everything and it's going to feel lacking if they leave out stuff.

This is a bad example but kinda like how school days just kind of did it's own thing and it was far more entertaining than the source material because of it. The air movie is another example. Just take the concepts and ideas but do their own twist on the story.

Quite honestly they could just take Terra and adapt it into a 26 episode anime while adding in details to make it stand alone without the need for the first part of the game.
Modified by hyperknees91, Dec 18, 2013 4:21 AM