Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Jun 17, 2013 1:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
Your thoughts/feelings on this when regarding anime?

I think it's stupid, "elitists" all tend to be the same. They like the same stuff, and they don't like anything else that isn't like them. Makes anime tastes "autistic" if you know what I mean by that.

I like to have diversity of what I like, but that seems to be a bad thing, especially when you're constantly arguing with someone that X is always better than Y no objections period end of discussion.

I swear to God, this is why I can't talk about anime in public. Most of the stuff I like is probably what those who openly express their liking in anime to be shit and always inferior. It's also why I don't go to conventions, ever.

I've been told tons of times on this site that my taste is shit, and while I don't give a rat's behind on that for the most part, sometimes when you look at elitists here, it just makes you wonder, why do I even watch anime to begin with?

And half of the arguments elitists make are invalid and can easily be refuted, yet they incorrigibly go on and on digging themselves into deeper holes, sometimes they think their opinions are objective 100% of the time when it's actually 100% subjective.

So anyways, with my semi-psychotic ranting aside, how do you all feel about elitism? You embrace it or you shun it. Feel free to pick either!
 
#2
Jun 17, 2013 1:41 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4223
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.

Seriously though,
watch whatever you want, don't force it on anyone.
 
#3
Jun 17, 2013 1:43 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
TheAsap said:
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.

Seriously though,
watch whatever you want, don't force it on anyone.


That's the last thing I'd do is force it on peeps, otherwise I'd be silly telling everyone to watch my no-name favorite XD
 
#4
Jun 17, 2013 1:44 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4223
LimeSlate said:
TheAsap said:
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.

Seriously though,
watch whatever you want, don't force it on anyone.


That's the last thing I'd do is force it on peeps, otherwise I'd be silly telling everyone to watch my no-name favorite XD

I'm not saying you're forcing anything on anyone,
it was just my opinion in general.
 
#5
Jun 17, 2013 1:44 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
TheAsap said:
LimeSlate said:
TheAsap said:
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.

Seriously though,
watch whatever you want, don't force it on anyone.


That's the last thing I'd do is force it on peeps, otherwise I'd be silly telling everyone to watch my no-name favorite XD

I'm not saying you're forcing anything on anyone,
it was just my opinion in general.


Nah I get you ^^
 
#6
Jun 17, 2013 1:46 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4223
LimeSlate said:


Nah I get you ^^

Yayyy let's stay friendly in this thread people, such a lovely beginning.
 
#7
Jun 17, 2013 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 5249
/pity party
 
#8
Jun 17, 2013 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 13760
Elitist=Ass hole, fun to bother
Otaku=moron, obsessive, creepy
Anime fan=okay
Weabo=IDIOT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Reviewer= "professional"

There, learn the ways of being okay.
 
#9
Jun 17, 2013 1:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
TheAsap said:
LimeSlate said:


Nah I get you ^^

Yayyy let's stay friendly in this thread people, such a lovely beginning.


The dynamic duo haven't come yet so we're safe :D
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 17581
Like how the general public likes to generalize anime viewers, anime viewers like to generalize elitists or 'anime viewers with taste'.

Not everyone's an ass.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2900
I don't like when people try to act like what they like is the best, but nothing wrong with saying you like something and dislike another. There's also nothing wrong with suggesting to someone that they watch an anime you enjoyed.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:49 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
MEanimaniac1 said:
Elitist=Ass hole, fun to bother
Otaku=moron, obsessive, creepy
Anime fan=okay
Weabo=IDIOT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Reviewer= "professional"

There, learn the ways of being okay.


I guess I'm a fan? Never thought of myself as an otaku despite watching 300+ :s
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3309
TheAsap said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best anime ever.
herp derp.

Seriously though,
watch whatever you want, don't force it on anyone.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
LimeSlate, you gave Kino's Journey a 9 and NGE a 1, so you're alright in my eyes.

TheAsap said:
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.

Seriously though,
watch whatever you want, don't force it on anyone.


Lain elitists are the best. Either them or LoGH.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 7385
LimeSlate said:
So anyways, with my semi-psychotic ranting aside, how do you all feel about elitism? You embrace it or you shun it. Feel free to pick either!

How about I don't care about it?
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I don't like when people try to act like what they like is the best, but nothing wrong with saying you like something and dislike another. There's also nothing wrong with suggesting to someone that they watch an anime you enjoyed.


That's what I hate the most of course.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2421
But but.. elitists are so uber kawai

sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:51 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 2419
Ghostony said:
But but.. elitists are so uber kawai



Contradiction/10
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11332
daintybiscuit said:
/pity party


Saki isn't no-name btw...

the progeny of a dropped colony
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 13760
LimeSlate said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Elitist=Ass hole, fun to bother
Otaku=moron, obsessive, creepy
Anime fan=okay
Weabo=IDIOT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Reviewer= "professional"

There, learn the ways of being okay.


I guess I'm a fan? Never thought of myself as an otaku despite watching 300+ :s

MAL tip #1 never call yourself an otaku.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3309
Ghostony said:
But but.. elitists are so uber kawai

"Stardust Witch Meruru? You like that kids' anime? MASCHERA is obviously better than your little piece of--"
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1062
LimeSlate said:
TheAsap said:
LimeSlate said:


Nah I get you ^^

Yayyy let's stay friendly in this thread people, such a lovely beginning.


The dynamic duo haven't come yet so we're safe :D
?
Who are the "dynamic duo"?

It's fine to like anything. It's fine to dislike anything. I think it's good to think about why you like something, and maybe talk to people you disagree with.

But you should never put someone down for liking something.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11332
MEanimaniac1 said:
LimeSlate said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Elitist=Ass hole, fun to bother
Otaku=moron, obsessive, creepy
Anime fan=okay
Weabo=IDIOT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Reviewer= "professional"

There, learn the ways of being okay.


I guess I'm a fan? Never thought of myself as an otaku despite watching 300+ :s

MAL tip #1 never call yourself an otaku.

I think of otaku as the people who roam social networking sites such as facebook ranting and raving about Sword Art and Shingeki...
Self Proclaimed Otaku that is.
the progeny of a dropped colony
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2614
I find it funny when people call others hipsters for not liking an anime that's popular, as if that's the only reason to hate many of the popular anime on MAL.

TheAsap said:
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.


Pff, Paranoia Agent was much more deep, you've probably never heard of it.
Modified by Shrabster, Jun 17, 2013 2:03 PM


 
Jun 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1797
I don't know if I really understand the meaning of the word elitism but I guess you're talking about someone who thinks their opinion is always 100% right no objections.. ?

I have one friend who talks like this and badmouths everything I like despite having not seen the anime in question ö.ö;
I can't take these people seriously, so it doesn't really bother me much.
If you really like something, for a reason. I think you'd be able to point out some flaws in most anime you like since most of the series I've seen have always had some 'they could have done this better but it's still awesome despite.'
Feels to me you've been talking to alot of hardcore fanboys/girls with a bit of too much pride, or what ever you'd call someone who can't even listen to others recomendations or respect that everyone just doesn't like all the same anime or genres.

LimeSlate said:
I guess I'm a fan? Never thought of myself as an otaku despite watching 300+ :s
watching anime doesn't make you an otaku, I believe it's when you're super obsessed with something to the point it's creepy.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11332
Shrabster said:
I find it funny when people call others hipsters for not liking a show that's popular, as if that's the only reason to hate many popular shows.

TheAsap said:
Serial Experiments Lain is the best anime ever.
herp derp.


Pff, Paranoia Agent was much more deep, you've probably never heard of it.

One does not simply never hear of Paranoia Agent.
Popularity: #249
the progeny of a dropped colony
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 5061
Elitism is life. Every decent human being should strive to be among the elite!

OP, you should be ashamed of this thread!
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 13760
YorozuyaGinSan said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
LimeSlate said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Elitist=Ass hole, fun to bother
Otaku=moron, obsessive, creepy
Anime fan=okay
Weabo=IDIOT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Reviewer= "professional"

There, learn the ways of being okay.


I guess I'm a fan? Never thought of myself as an otaku despite watching 300+ :s

MAL tip #1 never call yourself an otaku.

I think of otaku as the people who roam social networking sites such as facebook ranting and raving about Sword Art and Shingeki...
Self Proclaimed Otaku that is.

Ahh yes, someone who understands.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 4433
LimeSlate said:
I don't go to conventions, ever.

But you live right next to one.
Go for the 18+ panels and screenings and shit. You don't have to actually talk to anybody.

If you want to talk to people, just avoid the neckbeards and anybody dressed as a Hetalia character.
At worst, you'll run into somebody like me (or me, since we'd be at the same con) who will just give you shit for the sake of giving you shit, not to look down on you.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll cover elitism:
I believe that having some sense of elitism is a good thing. Not in the sense that you should think everything is garbage, but as a way to filter through some of the less-desirable shows. Without some sort of screening process, you'd have a PTW a mile long.

As far as elitism towards other people's taste, I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless they refuse to shut the fuck up. A particular One Piece fan comes to mind in that regard.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
 
Jun 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2614
MEanimaniac1 said:
Life tip #1 never call yourself an otaku.


Fixed.


 
Jun 17, 2013 1:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 13760
Shrabster said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Life tip #1 never call yourself an otaku.


Fixed.

That too.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3309
SetsukoHara said:
Elitism is life. Every decent human being should strive to be among the elite!
What, so I can shoot down everyone else that isn't elite? Not my style, dude. I'm not some sub elitist that bashes dubs and their watchers, and I'm not some dub-whoring maniac that calls sub watchers weeaboos either.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11332
Negative-Travis said:
LimeSlate said:
I don't go to conventions, ever.

But you live right next to one.
Go for the 18+ panels and screenings and shit. You don't have to actually talk to anybody.

If you want to talk to people, just avoid the neckbeards and anybody dressed as a Hetalia character.
At worst, you'll run into somebody like me (or me, since we'd be at the same con) who will just give you shit for the sake of giving you shit, not to look down on you.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll cover elitism:
I believe that having some sense of elitism is a good thing. Not in the sense that you should think everything is garbage, but as a way to filter through some of the less-desirable shows. Without some sort of screening process, you'd have a PTW a mile long.

As far as elitism towards other people's taste, I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless they refuse to shut the fuck up. A particular One Piece fan comes to mind in that regard.

Lupadim isn't all that bad.
the progeny of a dropped colony
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2614
Negative-Travis said:
I believe that having some sense of elitism is a good thing. Not in the sense that you should think everything is garbage, but as a way to filter through some of the less-desirable shows. Without some sort of screening process, you'd have a PTW a mile long.

As far as elitism towards other people's taste, I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless they refuse to shut the fuck up. A particular One Piece fan comes to mind in that regard.


I agree except what you're describing is called having standards which many plebeians people on MAL confuse for elitism. People are going to like what they like, and there's nothing wrong with that, but let's be realistic, if someone thinks a mindless ecchi is the best anime when it comes to technical quality then it's hard to take them seriously.
Modified by Shrabster, Jun 17, 2013 2:32 PM


 
Jun 17, 2013 2:21 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 268
Some of my most favorite anime on this are rated only with 8.3 or below including Elfen Lied,Mirai Nikki, fullmetal alchemist and other,while some other anime I watched were higher rated including this site and I did't enjoyed it that much, and including real life people I met and talked about they telling me I'm wrong because you know you can go SO WRONG with anime xD.But seriously who cares,ye death note is intelligent and very deep so what?Gintama is shallow and has some stupid slice of life elements with ongoing never ending shallow jokes and it's AWESOME.As long as you enjoy an anime it's awesome.
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 472
LimeSlate said:
Your thoughts/feelings on this when regarding anime?
They're really funny people because they believe their opinion is fact.

LimeSlate said:
I swear to God, this is why I can't talk about anime in public. Most of the stuff I like is probably what those who openly express their liking in anime to be shit and always inferior. It's also why I don't go to conventions, ever.
It really isn't that hard to ignore people.

LimeSlate said:
I've been told tons of times on this site that my taste is shit, and while I don't give a rat's behind on that for the most part, sometimes when you look at elitists here, it just makes you wonder, why do I even watch anime to begin with?
Because you enjoy watching the shows that you watch. Why the fuck does it matter if someone tells you that the shows you like are shit? Are you going to enjoy it any less?

LimeSlate said:
So anyways, with my semi-psychotic ranting aside, how do you all feel about elitism? You embrace it or you shun it. Feel free to pick either!
People who are elitist are funny for the reason stated in the first quote. I'll talk to elitists, but will never take them seriously.

P.S. Sorry if I sounded like a cunt in this response. :>
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6482
spyrocoot said:
I like the acoustic version a lot more.

I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

 
Jun 17, 2013 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 310
I don't like elitism at all. Just look around, there's many people on here that honestly think they're better than weeaboos and otakus.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
Holybaptiser said:
spyrocoot said:
I like the acoustic version a lot more.



Wow, that's amazing. Her voice compliments it perfectly.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:30 PM
It's Art

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5917
They're fun to mess when they want to get into a pissing match with you.

I always win, 'cause they always mad.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 880
FinestFantasy said:
I don't like elitism at all. Just look around, there's many people on here that honestly think they're better than weeaboos and otakus.
Yeah, they're all scum, am I right?

Was that an attempt at humor?
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1335
This thread.

God... I feel the enlightment coming at full force here.

But I shall wait for now.

 
Jun 17, 2013 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 7853
Uptight elitists are quite annoying, I agree.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 185
Hate to break it to you, but critiquing a show or a piece of art is not 100% subjective. As an art graduate, one of the first things you taught is this. There is a certain level of subjectivity but things are rated good and bad for reasons.

With that said you'll be alot happier if you stop caring what other people think about what you prefer. Watch anime you enjoy, pretty simple.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:34 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4717
LimeSlate said:
Your thoughts/feelings on this when regarding anime?

I think it's stupid, "elitists" all tend to be the same. They like the same stuff, and they don't like anything else that isn't like them. Makes anime tastes "autistic" if you know what I mean by that.



Don't assume everyone with autism is like that. My lil bro has autism and you would never know looking at him.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2900
Honestly, after looking at your list(I always stalk the lists of OPs who make these types of threads) it seems like you take other peoples opinions WAY too seriously. It looks like you literally made yourself not enjoy certain anime because you knew they were highly regarded among "elitist". Which I see a lot of on MAL. Like you rated Neon Genesis Evangelion a 1. It doesn't really matter that you don't like NGE, a lot of people don't, but why even finish it if you really thought it was that bad? I don't watch/add all the moe/ecchi anime I know I wont like to my list just to rate them a 1. If anything I think you are very similar to these elitist fans, thinking that what they like is garbage and that people don't realize how good the anime you personally like are.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
Honestly, after looking at your list(I always stalk the lists of OPs who make these types of threads) it seems like you take other peoples opinions WAY too seriously. It looks like you literally made yourself not enjoy certain anime because you knew they were highly regarded among "elitist". Which I see a lot of on MAL. Like you rated Neon Genesis Evangelion a 1. It doesn't really matter that you don't like NGE, a lot of people don't, but why even finish it if you really thought it was that bad? I don't watch/add all the moe/ecchi anime I know I wont like to my list just to rate them a 1. If anything I think you are very similar to these elitist fans, thinking that what they like is garbage and that people don't realize how good the anime you personally like are.


NGE I can forgive... but Legend of the Galactic Heroes...
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10262
spyrocoot said:

"And you don't seem to understaaand..."

Elitist song is elitist.
 
Jun 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 7853
Dark_Chaos said:
Don't assume everyone with autism is like that. My lil bro has autism and you would never know looking at him.

More in general however, I never understood the connotation with autism and 'caring too much' about x, y, and z.
You could certainly tell that my little brother has autism, but fuck, he couldn't tell you what he cares about to begin with. Autism is so varied in the spectrum that it is completely baffling to me that autism is used as an insult like as OP used it as.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
 
Top
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »