Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 11, 2009 1:51 AM

Mar 2008
This was actually pretty nice. I didn't look up what it was about before seeing it, but that was a good thing, since I usually skip ecchi harems.
To me it had a kind of Ken Akamatsu vibe, which is nice.
Jan 11, 2009 2:55 AM

Jun 2007
godoftheds said:
yoichi's awkwardness reminded me of sagara from full metal panic so if it continues to follow those same lines it should be about as good

It does and you will continue to love it and all the trouble he gets into because of his lack of common everyday sense. He's the Samurai version of Sagara.

First episode was as good as the first chapter in my opinion. I've been looking forward to the manga being made into an anime series for the longest time! I'm so happy they finally did it.
Jan 11, 2009 8:41 AM

Oct 2007
Really interesting episode. This show intrigues me a hell of a lot more then Akikan! did.

All the VA's seem right at their place and the main character is funny. The girls are really cute. I think my favorite will be Chihaya... Looking forward to more of this.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jan 11, 2009 10:19 AM

Jan 2009
Nice start. I've always loved martial arts and it'll add it's own flavour to the series. Firs ep was also quite funny. Up for more!
Jan 11, 2009 10:37 AM

Jun 2007
I remember having read the manga ages ago.. maybe I'll reread it while waiting for the next episode.

Else this was a rather good start for a rather average show.
Only thing that will me make pull through this is probably Chihaya. <3
If she fails at having enough screen time I'll drop this most likely.
Jan 11, 2009 1:09 PM

Aug 2008
But this yaoi fangirl is really unnecessary. I'm fed up with those sick freaks.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 11, 2009 1:16 PM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
What a horribly unoriginal show this. I was hoping to dodge trash like this, but it looks like I failed.

Because Paradise Kiss is a masterpiece :|

You don't even watch Romance/Comedies, FFS, You gave Toradora a 6. You have no idea

+ You rated Akkikan as well.

GTFO and stay away from Rom/Com's.

Good episode, looking forward to this series. Nice opening theme lol. Pretty funny watching him interact with an environment he has never experienced before.

Basically Toradora, Akkikan and this will keep me going for a while. All conveniently coal guys as well :P
AnistylezJan 11, 2009 1:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Jan 11, 2009 1:32 PM

Aug 2008
George is my avatar because I like the avatar. But besides that, Paradise Kiss is a great show. I do watch romantic comedies you troll, but I guess you don't bother to look at people's lists before you try to tear them a new one. Shows like Nodame Cantabile, Lovely Complex, Ouran High School Host Club, Itazura na Kiss, and Honey and Clover do the genre much better justice than this. As other people have said, go watch Full Metal Panic Fumoffu if you want to see this done with better characters. Hell some of them aren't even as original, but they're just well executed. Akikan is ridiculously bad, and if you bothered to go into the discussion, I've been praising Toradora for its development and pace for the past 3 or 4 episodes. That doesn't take away from the fact that the first four or so were bland, and that Minorin is an outlandish character, or that Taiga was annoying as hell in the beginning.

Maybe you should try watching more than Romantic Comedies and see that romance can be done in a funny, engaging way without girls falling out of the sky; turning into animals/inanimate objects; randomly declaring a boy is her husband; or ridiculous, overly-busty, loli-filled harems.
Jan 11, 2009 1:38 PM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
George is my avatar because I like the avatar. But besides that, Paradise Kiss is a great show. I do watch romantic comedies you troll, but I guess you don't bother to look at people's lists before you try to tear them a new one. Shows like Nodame Cantabile, Lovely Complex, Ouran High School Host Club, Itazura na Kiss, and Honey and Clover do the genre much better justice than this. As other people have said, go watch Full Metal Panic Fumoffu if you want to see this done with better characters. Hell some of them aren't even as original, but they're just well executed. Akikan is ridiculously bad, and if you bothered to go into the discussion, I've been praising Toradora for its development and pace for the past 3 or 4 episodes. That doesn't take away from the fact that the first four or so were bland, and that Minorin is an outlandish character, or that Taiga was annoying as hell in the beginning.

Maybe you should try watching more than Romantic Comedies and see that romance can be done in a funny, engaging way without girls falling out of the sky; turning into animals/inanimate objects; randomly declaring a boy is her husband; or ridiculous, overly-busty, loli-filled harems.

I have watched all of the romance/comedies you have listed, to a certain extent. Do you even know the definition of a troll? I am not a troll because I am not baiting you, I was giving a legitimate opinion.

I glanced at your list. For starters, Honey and Clover is not a romance/comedy, it is a slow paced borefest. Same goes with Paradise Kiss. I watched the ISWAK drama, so I would prefer not to relieve it through anime. I am a big fan of Lovely Complex.

Rattling off a bunch of Rom/Com cliche's doesn't exactly make you sound impressive. There are cliche's in all genre's of anime and if you don't like them, even though they are spun differently plot wise in each one, then don't watch them. It was obvious from the description what kind of anime this was going to be. My signature is Marmalade Boy mate. Do not preach to me about Romance anime's. I have seen a diverse range of Romcoms, but these types do it for me more in general. It's a type that you can't get from any other medium.

I am not going to argue with you. I will let the popularity speak for itself.
AnistylezJan 11, 2009 1:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Jan 11, 2009 1:43 PM

Aug 2008
Tell me, what is so genius about this show, or Akikan? I really would like to hear that perspective. Because it seems to me that you only like shounenized, ecchi romantic comedies. I've never seen Marmalade Boy, so I can't speak to that.
Jan 11, 2009 1:50 PM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
Tell me, what is so genius about this show, or Akikan? I really would like to hear that perspective. Because it seems to me that you only like shounenized, ecchi romantic comedies. I've never seen Marmalade Boy, so I can't speak to that.

There is nothing that genius about the base of it all, however, there is genius in the way the tone, laughs and the emotion that you get from Rom/Com's like this play out. That is the fun part. It seems to me like you enjoy the more "slice of life" romances, where you are subjected to watching stuff you could be doing in person play out in front of your eyes.

I don't watch anime for the fan service actually. I don't ONLY watch these kind of anime's, but they are the ones that I tend to take a liking to more. I have watched and enjoyed Lovely Complex, Suzuka, Aishiteruze Baby, Kare Kano, Elfen Lied, Fruits Basket, Maison Ikkoku, Marmalade Boy, Kimagure Orange Road, Boys Be... the list goes on. All of these are devoid of your elements which you detest.

Yes, these kind of anime's can get a little silly, but they are fun. They aren't meant to be taken seriously, and generally you can get something emotionally out of them because they are taken lightheartedly.

AnistylezJan 11, 2009 2:04 PM

Jan 11, 2009 2:06 PM

Aug 2008
I see nothing special about the tone of this show. It's lighthearted...all RomComs are lighthearted. There is no depth to the tone either that can even separate it from the pack. Many people have already likened this show to at least 5 others. Regarding laughs, how many "my face is in your boobs/crotch," "I'm grabbing a boob," "I know nothing about how the real world works," or "Yaoi...tee hee" jokes have you seen? I know I've seen a lot and I haven't seen as many shows in this genre as you. My point is that it gets old after a while, and if you aren't even going to try to execute them differently, it's just not funny.

I disagree with that statment. If it isn't meant to be taken seriously, how can you get something emotional out of it. If it's the same tsundere character you've seen a million times in a million anime, what emotional response could be activated once everything plods on exactly as how you expected it. Alternatively, a show that takes its characters, and its premise seriously, especitally in spite of its outlandish aspects is a show where one can get rooted in the emotional ups and downs of its characters.

Elfen Lied is one of the fanserviceiest of all anime that ever aired. A scene where a character wasn't naked, groping another character, or covered in blood is a scene I would be hard pressed to find. Fruits' Basket and Lovely Complex are devoid of the lame RomCom cliches, I can't agree or disagree with the rest you listed because I either haven't seen or have actively avoided them.
Jan 11, 2009 2:21 PM

Nov 2008
The funniest parts in the anime aren't the ones you listed :| They are the fan service parts you fool.

The funniest parts in this anime in particular, first episode, was how he was in the changing room with the girl and made matters worse by covering her mouth, making it seem even worse so like she was going to be raped. Then there was the escalator, how he looked at it and weighed up his options, then reservedly got on.... You need to look deeper mate. A sense of humor requires imagination.

In Akkikan, how he pulled off her earing and then shoved her in the cupboard, that was fairly funny as well. Particularly the way he did and the demeanor he used. There were numerous funny parts. I don't need to spell them out for you.

As for the romance, I can get plenty. Toradora plays on your emotions so well every fucking episode. As for these two, you can feel the tension between the characters already. It's episode one ffs. The most tension was at the point where they both started at each other for a brief moment in this anime.

Why does it need to be spelled out? If you can't work out your own emotion and humor, that is your problem.

By taking it seriously I meant it isn't mean to be dissected until you end up at the bottom layer which is the premise on which most Rom/Com's are built on. You are making the same age old argument that the cynics preach about the genre. Its tiring.
AnistylezJan 11, 2009 2:25 PM

Jan 11, 2009 2:28 PM

Jan 2008
Doesn't follow the manga too well, but still enjoyable. I cosplayed Yoichi this weekend at SacAnime!
Jan 11, 2009 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
I thought I covered that in the "I have no idea how the real world works" portion. Besides, this was done a whole lot, and better in the FMP series.

So really its the hackneyed visual gags, and over physicality with female characters...not original!

Totally right about Toradora...even with something as cliche as let the school princess touch you and you get your true love, they still managed to eek in character development with Ami, finally ground the 2-D Minorin,hint at a relationship between Kitamura and the President, and have Taiga realize she actually has a family. And the episode was genuinely funny because of character interactions, and less so because of gags.

Again, it doesn't need to be spelled out. I'm just interested in the type of person who is engaged by such trite devices. It has nothing to do with my emotional health or sense of humor.
Jan 11, 2009 2:35 PM

Aug 2008
Swiftstylez said:
The funniest parts in this anime in particular, first episode, was how he was in the changing room with the girl and made matters worse by covering her mouth, making it seem even worse so like she was going to be raped.
The last thing I want is to get involved in the flamewars and as I previously stated I really enjoyed the first ep of this show (more than any other from the new season), but..

That scene was a 1:1 copy of School Rumble if nothing else

Anyway, a lot of people compare Yoichi to Sagura and I understand why, but while Sagura is always serious (military guy), Yoichi just seems like one happy camper.
Jan 11, 2009 2:35 PM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
I thought I covered that in the "I have no idea how the real world works" portion. Besides, this was done a whole lot, and better in the FMP series.

So really its the hackneyed visual gags, and over physicality with female characters...not original!

Totally right about Toradora...even with something as cliche as let the school princess touch you and you get your true love, they still managed to eek in character development with Ami, finally ground the 2-D Minorin,hint at a relationship between Kitamura and the President, and have Taiga realize she actually has a family. And the episode was genuinely funny because of character interactions, and less so because of gags.

Again, it doesn't need to be spelled out. I'm just interested in the type of person who is engaged by such trite devices. It has nothing to do with my emotional health or sense of humor.

lol, It's a formula that I could watch again and again, and I'm pretty sure there is a cult-like following. I enjoy what I enjoy, and I enjoyed this. You didn't enjoy it, so lets leave it at that. Those were just examples of moments I enjoyed, of which there were plenty. I am not going to be a hypocrite, I am not going to dissect the show myself and tell you of them. The "Cliche" devices aren't the only thing these types of shows draw upon. They always add something new with the story and characters, and the dialogue keep things entertaining. Add that with a good soundtrack and well played out voice actresses, more so in Akkikan than this, and you have quality material.

Kvakond said:
Swiftstylez said:
The funniest parts in this anime in particular, first episode, was how he was in the changing room with the girl and made matters worse by covering her mouth, making it seem even worse so like she was going to be raped.
The last thing I want is to get involved in the flamewars and as I previously stated I really enjoyed the first ep of this show (more than any other from the new season), but..

That scene was a 1:1 copy of School Rumble if nothing else

Anyway, a lot of people compare Yoichi to Sagura and I understand why, but while Sagura is always serious (military guy), Yoichi just seems like one happy camper.

I haven't seen it, so it was new to me lol. I don't mind to be honest. This wasn't the only entertaining scene in the anime, I was just giving examples. :]

Jan 11, 2009 2:38 PM

Aug 2008
True, Yoichi hasn't had to kill people as a mercenary since he was a child like Sagara. But he does have that overly serious demeanor.

Edit:
Well, then lets agree to disagree.
Jan 11, 2009 2:43 PM

Nov 2008
noteDhero said:
True, Yoichi hasn't had to kill people as a mercenary since he was a child like Sagara. But he does have that overly serious demeanor.

Edit:
Well, then lets agree to disagree.

Alright lol. I don't think anyone was going to change the others mind anyway.

Jan 11, 2009 2:59 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
noteDhero said:

he's somewhat the naturalist-innocent type....

the fanservice of this series is nothing compared to that of others. Instead, this seems more "Bamboo Blade" oriented....
wakka9caJan 11, 2009 3:04 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 11, 2009 4:14 PM

Nov 2008
lol Whilst I don't watch anime for fan service, I'm not going to have a wahhh if there is any. I have nothing against it as long as it is used sparingly.

Jan 11, 2009 6:03 PM

Oct 2008
Finally, a harem anime with a protagonist i actually like. Ill watch this to the end.
Jan 11, 2009 6:26 PM

Feb 2008
Hm... that was actually not bad. I enjoyed it.
Jan 11, 2009 7:56 PM

Feb 2008
well, the whole order of events was rather...cliche but oh well. its not too bad for an opener. it sat the mood for the whole show pretty well.
Jan 11, 2009 9:54 PM

Aug 2008
(Please note, my judgment is based purely on episode 1 of this anime, I've never read the manga.)

Wasn't at all into it... I found the show via a user recommendation from Bamboo Blade (which I love).

Something about the protagonist wasn't believable to me, his "wide-eyed innocence" and then paired with his interactions with Kagome and Ibuki.

It's like, I know he's the "wholesome, samurai noblemen guy"... bears like him! His father is jealous of his abilities, he's a gentle and polite soul with authority figures, look! Now he's helping a lost child at the mall... All that was missing was him helping an old lady across the street. Overkill.

I also found the female Ikaruga clan unlikable, except Chihaya and her stripey socks, she can stay.
Jan 11, 2009 10:45 PM

Aug 2008
I found it very thrilling and fun!

I can't wait for more!
Jan 11, 2009 11:14 PM

Jul 2008
"Asu no Yoichi, at least it's not Akikan!"
(I kid... or do I?)

While not great, this wasn't all that bad either. It's only the first episode too, so I'd like to see where this is going. As many others have said, Yoichi is rather similar to Sagara, which should make for some amusement. Who knows, it was surprisingly good for what I walked in expecting.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Jan 12, 2009 4:20 AM

Sep 2008
i surprisingly enjoyed this, going to keep watching :)
Jan 12, 2009 4:48 AM

Nov 2008
Like both Akikan and this.

Jan 12, 2009 12:33 PM
Jan 2009
I would not recommend this show to anyone looking for a good romance, it's basically a typical harem comedy and a good waste of time.
Jan 12, 2009 9:24 PM

Jul 2008
Bancho said:
I would not recommend this show to anyone looking for a good romance, it's basically a typical harem comedy and a good waste of time.
You could at least log on your primary account if you are going to condemn the anime....

I don't really see why people make ghost accounts just to trash talk anime.
Jan 12, 2009 10:56 PM

Mar 2008
Ep. 1 Asu no Yoichi is awesome XD...will continue to watch!
Ibuki ftw!!! XD I also like Kagome's yellow ball hairpin =)
Jan 12, 2009 11:02 PM

Oct 2007
after a 2nd watch i'll give it a meh... was kinda hoping for something more. its entertaining enough, just was looking for something more like bamboo blade. nevertheless i'll give it a few more eps before i decide to drop for sure
Jan 13, 2009 3:42 AM

Nov 2008
Defiance said:
Bancho said:
You could at least log on your primary account if you are going to condemn the anime....

I don't really see why people make ghost accounts just to trash talk anime.

QFT

Jan 13, 2009 6:41 AM

Jul 2008
This is so like Sekirei o_______o The animation style is similar and there is one guy with many girls :0 And of course, girl have big boobs.

It was okay, ecchi was cute and very sekireilike. I'm so going to watch this 8'D !

Jan 13, 2009 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
Sonja said:
This is so like Sekirei o_______o The animation style is similar and there is one guy with many girls :0 And of course, girl have big boobs.

There are tons of anime with harem and boobs, so I don't think this has much in common with Sekirei (other than that). If you're looking for a battle-royal + ecchi + harem combo (topped with arguable animation quality), than Akikan might be closer to the real deal.

PS: I like Sekirei
Jan 13, 2009 11:37 AM

Jun 2008
This is so much like Love Hina, but that's not a bad thing. This should be a fun show.
Jan 13, 2009 4:45 PM

Jul 2008
It's not so bad, nothing spectacular but I can see myself going through the entire season without too many problems.

Ayame = Blonde = <3
Jan 13, 2009 9:19 PM

Aug 2008
It immediately struck me as a wanna-be of Tenchi Muyo and Kenshin but while doing a genre parody. However, aside from the very clever mall incident, it was pretty fickle, lame even, though I haven't read the manga but I hope there will be more to this anime. The protagonist was cool except for the fact that he was totally 2-dimensional and thus predictable and uninteresting.

The breasts incident was quite brilliant, though and the animation is very good. A mixed bag, but hell, it's a first episode.
Jan 14, 2009 5:06 PM
Jun 2008
Yoichi!

Finally, this is the type of samurai story I've been waiting for in Anime. An urban samurai that knows how to kick ass, yet is very naive about the world. I can forgive the fanservice.

The first episode worked so nicely lol. Everything was how I was hoping it to be, although I knew that the little sister was going to say "she has big boobs." But anyway, I can't wait to see the next episode.
Jan 15, 2009 9:33 AM

Aug 2008
Can't say that I really liked the first ep.. it was ok. It has some comedy, hopefully it improves in the later episodes.
Jan 15, 2009 12:31 PM

Jul 2007
i had fun trying to guess the voices XD chibuki = sakura from da capo was the most fun discovery for me. she sounded so familiar yet i couldnt pinpoint it lmao

anyways tomatsu haruka + tsundere = WIN @_@ is she trying to oust kugimiya rie on her throne? XD
Jan 15, 2009 5:32 PM

Oct 2008
The squirrel.. Nice catch! The bear looked beary cute..

Jan 16, 2009 5:47 PM

Sep 2007
I sense some internal inconsistencies...

Why can Yoichi balance on a high speed train, swing like a pendulum, and dodge arrows, yet not deal with an escalator? And also, if he's never seen an escalator, how did he know what was happening when the thief got in the elevator?

And bleh, another harem series. The main character has already gotten into a few accidentally perverted situations and been beaten up for it.

I was entertained for an episode, but I'll probably drop this one early on.
Jan 17, 2009 2:43 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, it's cliche, but 9/10 (or more) of the animes are based on cliches so this could be a good avarage. I liked it how it started.
Jan 17, 2009 10:15 PM

Jun 2008
Firstly, great to see this manga animated!

It was okay, good enough to keep watching, I liked it but didn't love it.
Lets all keep reading the manga.

And also hope this doesn't become too ecchi.

PS. I was the 100th voter. :]
Loved-Liked-OK-Dislike-Hate
40/40/13/3/4
Jan 18, 2009 1:39 AM

Jun 2008
I loved it. I can see this become popular, since it will get the ecchi fans watching, and the Bleach/Naruto audience will surely love it for the action :O
Jan 18, 2009 1:29 PM

Dec 2008
Pretty cool. It's reminding me of Full Metal Panic! in a lot of ways, what with the main male lead being completely unaccustomed to the city/high-school life. There's a whole bunch of similarities I can think of but I won't get into that. I loved FMP! so I'm expecting good things from this one.

Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku~

Jan 18, 2009 8:58 PM

Sep 2008
wow, a lot of differences from the manga.
i like how the anime changed the beginning situation to the mall. much better than the complete fanservice manga, lol.

the male character has a good character design with a fitting VA (i loled at the fact that hes the same VA as Accelerator in to aru majutsu no index)

again as stated before, i like how the anime isnt focusing completely on the fanservice like the manga. gives an appropriate introduction for the main male character as an honest and good guy.

other comments:
i like how they are keeping the face expressions like in the manga, when getting suprised and stuff.
also i loled at the fact that he took the entire train ride until it came back to the mall.

will be one of the series i will be watching.
Jan 23, 2009 3:19 PM

Jan 2008
ok episode. I read ch 1 of the manga before this, and it's pretty much the same except for a few parts. Not too sure if I'll continue this series for much longer..
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Asu no Yoichi! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

superman89 - Mar 26, 2009

128 by AshRayKay »»
Mar 12, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Asu no Yoichi! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Mar 21, 2009

50 by AshRayKay »»
Mar 11, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Asu no Yoichi! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sniW - Jan 30, 2009

65 by AirMitsuki »»
Dec 3, 2022 12:19 PM

» At what chapter of the manga does the anime ends ?

daniel1919 - Mar 31, 2013

6 by MaplesDay »»
Nov 24, 2022 1:07 AM

Poll: » Asu no Yoichi! Episode 10 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 14, 2009

49 by Ashhk »»
Dec 7, 2019 10:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.