Forum Settings
Forums

Can you find faults in your favorite anime?

New
Jun 11, 2013 10:26 PM

Jan 2010
I wanna try something. Think of one your favorite anime. Preferably your top favorite. Are you able to find faults with it?

If you can't find faults with it, then have you ever seen another person find faults with it? How do you think they found those faults, even though they may not be right? Do you think faults exist with it that you are not aware of? Do you think that falls into subjectivity or something crazy of the sort?

If you can find faults with it, then why is it still your favorite? Did those faults have any effect on your opinion on the anime overall? Were you aware of them while you were first watching? Since you were able to find faults, how do you feel when people point out those flaws to you, even though you already knew about them?

Don't gotta answer all the questions, but they're just ideas I thought up.

Lemme start with one of mine, Kino's Journey.

ShockedJun 12, 2013 1:36 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 11, 2013 10:27 PM

Sep 2012
I can hate all over Death Note, Clannad, and Code Geass.

But I'm not a pompous asshole who rates or bases my favorites on criticism or technical standards.
Jun 11, 2013 10:29 PM

Apr 2013
I can, here's a complete copy pasta of what I posted in a club
ShiiiiJun 11, 2013 10:36 PM
Jun 11, 2013 10:30 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
But I'm not a pompous asshole who rates or bases my favorites on criticism or technical standards.
So... you have no standards...?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 11, 2013 10:32 PM

Mar 2012
*look at Fairy Tail*

Yes I can.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 11, 2013 10:32 PM
May 2010
katsucats said:
Red_Keys said:

No, he just has no need to pretend his standards somehow make him better.

Also, I cant really find any faults in my favorite anime because for me there are none. Im sure other people can see faults in it, and to them those things probably are faults. To me, they are not.
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 11, 2013 10:34 PM

Apr 2013
Yes, I can hate Clannad AS, Baccano and Katanagatari on many aspects.. but I enjoyed the finished product more than anything I've watched in 2-D to this day.

- Clannad is the only anime to make me cry but I had to suffer boredom during the first season.
- Katanagatari is the only anime with loads of dialogue which didn't bore me to death but the final scene after the epic battle was not enjoyable.
- Baccano was entertaining from start to finish but confusing at first.
Jun 11, 2013 10:37 PM

Jun 2011
Depends.

I don't give out 10s easily, so an anime that receives that score from me is viewed as perfection.

Although I do consider my 9s as favorites, and I can find minor faults with those. If I couldn't, they would be rated as a 10.
Jun 11, 2013 10:38 PM

Sep 2012
I wouldn't call it "hating on it". More like criticizing.

I've seen plenty of people find fault with FLCL, my #1. I can see why. It's fucking weird. And while it has moments of brilliance, a very large portion of it is just thinly veiled sex jokes on top of weird visuals.

I happen to just like how weird it is. Some people don't. I think that makes it a lot easier for certain people to find fault with it than others. But I also think it might affect how big I think the flaws are compared to how big others think the flaws are.

And it's still my favorite anime because, while it may not be perfect according to most people's conventions, the feeling it produces in me is perfect. Even at its shallowest I still appreciate what went into it.
Jun 11, 2013 10:42 PM

Nov 2012
Yes I can. Anyone who says they can't, don't know how to think for themselves.
Jun 11, 2013 10:43 PM
Jul 2012
Yes
Jun 11, 2013 10:44 PM

Nov 2012
Popka said:
I wouldn't call it "hating on it". More like criticizing.

I've seen plenty of people find fault with FLCL, my #1. I can see why. It's fucking weird. And while it has moments of brilliance, a very large portion of it is just thinly veiled sex jokes on top of weird visuals.

I happen to just like how weird it is. Some people don't. I think that makes it a lot easier for certain people to find fault with it than others. But I also think it might affect how big I think the flaws are compared to how big others think the flaws are.

And it's still my favorite anime because, while it may not be perfect according to most people's conventions, the feeling it produces in me is perfect. Even at its shallowest I still appreciate what went into it.

Wow that's exactly how I feel! Props.
Jun 11, 2013 10:46 PM

Oct 2012
miereneronaile said:
katsucats said:
Red_Keys said:
So you think that a person having favorites is being elitist... is what you're saying? How is it the same thing that a person who rates his favorites based on his standards is a person that thinks his standards make him better?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 11, 2013 10:48 PM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:

No, it's because you don't want to use your brain. Stop making yourself seem better just because you don't "feel" like analysing the bad aspects.

Your statement actually makes YOU seem like a "pompous asshole"
Harmonium94Jun 11, 2013 10:51 PM
Jun 11, 2013 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
Easily.

Evangelion
1. could criticize characters and say they lack real depth
2. could criticize ending and real lack of resolution
3. could criticize faux symbolism
4. could criticize quality of action

Bakemonogatari
1. could criticize lack of depth
2. could criticize excessive fan service
3. the snake arc sucked
4. could criticize excessive dialogue that was only there for humor
5. could criticize lack of plot

Cowboy Bebop
1. could say how vicious wasn't a good villain
2. ed was pure comic relief
3. "borrowed" from so much western media
4. episodic nature
5. writing is oft sub par
6. very predictable, not only the ending, but all of the episodes

Baccano:
1. some issues with ending
2. some characters weren't good
3. the plot was pretty straightforward, even if it was told in non-chronological order
4. some char motivations didn't make sense
5. uses a lot of overused tropes/cliches and not for the sake of deconstruction

Actually can't think of much negative to say about school days....
PolyphemusJun 11, 2013 11:11 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 11, 2013 11:06 PM

Sep 2012
GaeaRage94 said:
Red_Keys said:

No, it's because you don't want to use your brain. Stop making yourself seem better just because you don't "feel" like analysing the bad aspects.

No, you see, I can realize the faults of a series (you would have realized this if you actually read my post). It's just that if it entertains me enough, I won't let that dictate my enjoyment of it. I don't watch to criticize, I watch to entertain.

With some people that's synonymous, but not for me.

Katsucats, that was faulty wording on my part. I just meant I don't really take a show's technical stability that seriously. I gave Guilty Crown a 10. I think that explains enough.
Jun 11, 2013 11:14 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
Katsucats, that was faulty wording on my part. I just meant I don't really take a show's technical stability that seriously. I gave Guilty Crown a 10. I think that explains enough.
I think technical stability also extends to all the aspects of a narrative or plot setting that makes you enjoy a series -- I mean "enjoyment" isn't just a impenetrable mist that can never be articulated, you enjoy a series because it does something technically right... so I think this kind of statement is odd.

But whatever.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 11, 2013 11:16 PM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Red_Keys said:

No, you see, I can realize the faults of a series (you would have realized this if you actually read my post). It's just that if it entertains me enough, I won't let that dictate my enjoyment of it. I don't watch to criticize, I watch to entertain.

With some people that's synonymous, but not for me.

Yes. I agree with you on that aspect. You're totally right, by all means like what YOU like. I just didn't like that you call people "pompous assholes" for not using the same thinking... Anyway I think you know what I mean.
Jun 11, 2013 11:17 PM

Jun 2008
Sure.

I can say Death Note has flaws and I didn't even like most of the characters.

I can say Code Geass made more than a few ass pulls.

and so on...
Jun 11, 2013 11:19 PM

Nov 2012
katsucats said:
Red_Keys said:
I think technical stability also extends to all the aspects of a narrative or plot setting that makes you enjoy a series -- I mean "enjoyment" isn't just a impenetrable mist that can never be articulated, you enjoy a series because it does something technically right... so I think this kind of statement is odd.

But whatever.

Yup. Right on the money.

I'd like to know how you can explain WHY you enjoy something without linking it to any sort of technical standards like character development, story pacing, art style, music choice etc...
Jun 11, 2013 11:20 PM

Jun 2007
There's a big difference between seeing and understanding faults and "hating" on something.
Jun 11, 2013 11:23 PM

Nov 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
There's a big difference between seeing and understanding faults and "hating" on something.

Yeah. I don't think he/she really meant it like that.
Jun 11, 2013 11:26 PM

Aug 2011
Never ever, Inferno Cop has no flaws, there is nothing to hate. Calling it perfection would be a massive understatement.
Jun 11, 2013 11:27 PM

Jun 2012
Yes, I can call Mirai Nikki an asspull and a half but I still love the shit out of it.
Jun 11, 2013 11:33 PM

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
It's just that if it entertains me enough, I won't let that dictate my enjoyment of it. I don't watch to criticize, I watch to entertain.
This.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 11, 2013 11:37 PM

Aug 2012
lol nge is terrible and pretentious
Jun 11, 2013 11:38 PM

Nov 2012
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
It's just that if it entertains me enough, I won't let that dictate my enjoyment of it. I don't watch to criticize, I watch to entertain.
This.

aka feed me entertainment, I don't want to think about it.

Hey, it's up to you I guess.
Jun 11, 2013 11:38 PM

Oct 2012
To answer the thread, I think if someone can't find a single fault in any of his favorites, then they aren't really his favorites at all. It just means they weren't really engaged enough, or weren't thinking, since nothing's perfect; and if someone doesn't think when they watch, can they really say that they "like" something?

Well, yes, but it would be "misinformed".
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 11, 2013 11:39 PM

Nov 2012
katsucats said:
To answer the thread, I think if someone can't find a single fault in any of his favorites, then they aren't really his favorites at all. It just means they weren't really engaged enough, or weren't thinking, since nothing's perfect; and if someone doesn't think when they watch, can they really say that they "like" something?

Stop it. You're making too much sense.
Jun 11, 2013 11:43 PM
Mar 2013
Popka said:

And (FLCL) is still my favorite anime because, while it may not be perfect according to most people's conventions, the feeling it produces in me is perfect. Even at its shallowest I still appreciate what went into it.

It's worth noting that technically speaking (ignoring the tired subjectivity/objectivity debate), it really is better than most anime. Really fluid animation, a dense, layered plot, loads of stylistic experimentation, an incredibly varied soundtrack... It's not really a show that needs to be defended in that "well, I just like it" sort of way.
Jun 11, 2013 11:47 PM

Nov 2012
Cbubbles said:
Popka said:

And (FLCL) is still my favorite anime because, while it may not be perfect according to most people's conventions, the feeling it produces in me is perfect. Even at its shallowest I still appreciate what went into it.

It's worth noting that technically speaking (ignoring the tired subjectivity/objectivity debate), it really is better than most anime. Really fluid animation, a dense, layered plot, loads of stylistic experimentation, an incredibly varied soundtrack... It's not really a show that needs to be defended in that "well, I just like it" sort of way.

Well some people don't like the "stylistic experimentation" and would rather stick to the same boring ass rom-coms/moe/slice of life shows.
Jun 11, 2013 11:47 PM

Sep 2012
GaeaRage94 said:
I'd like to know how you can explain WHY you enjoy something without linking it to any sort of technical standards like character development, story pacing, art style, music choice etc...
Code Geass's plot line was confusing. I honestly didn't get the whole thing with what his father was trying to accomplish. I found that a lot of the character deaths were wasted, by having the scene ill-paced or the character underdeveloped. There were a shit ton of technical flaws and embarrassing mistakes, like the famous impossible chess move. There were times when I felt the action sequences were a little bit ridiculous and I wasn't completely invested in it.

But I liked the main characters, the secondary antagonists, the majority of the drama, the majority of the action, the soundtrack, the visuals, the amount of "oh shit" plot twists, and the general plot up until the second half of the second season, so much more that it subsided and overruled what I found to be flaws.

I was able to give it a 10, because on a scale from 1 to 10, I liked it that much. On a purely critical level, I'd say it was around a 4. But I'm not a critic. I don't watch anime to judge it, I watch it to be entertained by it.

Same thing with Guilty Crown. I gave it a 10. But the plot was a mess, and I honestly don't understand the main villain. I found that to be poorly explained. But I don't really care. I liked everything else too much.

I don't conflict myself with my rating system, and I don't constrain myself with how I rate.
GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
This.

I also don't act like a pompous asshole.

(most of the time)
Jun 11, 2013 11:51 PM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Code Geass's plot line was confusing. I honestly didn't get the whole thing with what his father was trying to accomplish. I found that a lot of the character deaths were wasted, by having the scene ill-paced or the character underdeveloped. There were a shit ton of technical flaws and embarrassing mistakes, like the famous impossible chess move. There were times when I felt the action sequences were a little bit ridiculous and I wasn't completely invested in it.

But I liked the main characters, the secondary antagonists, the majority of the drama, the majority of the action, the soundtrack, the visuals, the amount of "oh shit" plot twists, and the general plot up until the second half of the second season, so much more that it subsided and overruled what I found to be flaws.

I was able to give it a 10, because on a scale from 1 to 10, I liked it that much. On a purely critical level, I'd say it was around a 4. But I'm not a critic. I don't watch anime to judge it, I watch it to be entertained by it.

Same thing with Guilty Crown. I gave it a 10. But the plot was a mess, and I honestly don't understand the main villain. I found that to be poorly explained. But I don't really care. I liked everything else too much.

I don't conflict myself with my rating system, and I don't constrain myself with how I rate.
GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
This.

(most of the time)

Wow I'm impressed. You're more well-spoken than I thought. Ok you're off the hook lol.
Jun 11, 2013 11:53 PM

Sep 2012
GaeaRage94 said:
Cbubbles said:
Popka said:

Well some people don't like the "stylistic experimentation" and would rather stick to the same boring ass rom-coms/moe/slice of life shows.
Yeah, I might say "I just like it" when referring specifically to how weird it is, since that's something a lot of people could take or leave, depending on the person. But don't get me wrong, overall I think it's damn good stuff. If I were explaining why it's my favorite, I could come up with a lot more reasons than "I just like it".
PopkaJun 12, 2013 12:03 AM
Jun 11, 2013 11:57 PM

Jan 2010
GaeaRage94 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Yeah. I don't think he/she really meant it like that.

Actually, I went from making this topic with the intent on hating our own favorites to trying to criticize them. Made the topic title before typing up my first post. So yeah, the topic title would work better with "finding flaws" or "finding faults" since it's kinda misleading.

Also, lemme bite the bullet real quick with the "can't find faults thing." I wanna see how this turns out. I'll go with Millennium Actress since I gave it a 10/10.

Jun 11, 2013 11:59 PM

Nov 2012
Popka said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Cbubbles said:
Popka said:

Yeah, I might say "I just like it" when referring specifically to how weird it is, since that's something a lot of people could take or leave, depending on the person. But don't get me wrong, overall I think it's damn good stuff.

Yeah. I honestly feel bad for people who don't like FLCL. Not because I think they have shit taste or anything like that. It's just really damn special in my eyes.
Jun 12, 2013 12:00 AM

Nov 2011
No, Mushishi isn't just an anime with superb story-telling, it's mothah-fucking art.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 12, 2013 12:09 AM

Nov 2012
Ragix said:
No, Mushishi isn't just an anime with superb story-telling, it's mothah-fucking art.

You failed the test boy.

(edit: sorry if I'm coming off a bit too antagonistic in this thread guys. I'm just in the mood for healthy argumentation. I'm going back to watching Panty & Stocking. Sayonara)
Harmonium94Jun 12, 2013 12:12 AM
Jun 12, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
I don't know if I can think of one that has no flaws. Maybe Planetes? I'd at least have to think hard to find a flaw with that one. I haven't seen all of it though. If I did find something flawless, I wonder how that'd make me feel.

GaeaRage94 said:

Yeah. I honestly feel bad for people who don't like FLCL. Not because I think they have shit taste or anything like that. It's just really damn special in my eyes.
I think I know what you mean. If you're the type to get something out of it, you can get a whole lot out of it.
Jun 12, 2013 12:21 AM

Nov 2012
Popka said:
I don't know if I can think of one that has no flaws. Maybe Planetes? I'd at least have to think hard to find a flaw with that one. I haven't seen all of it though. If I did find something flawless, I wonder how that'd make me feel.

GaeaRage94 said:

I think I know what you mean. If you're the type to get something out of it, you can get a whole lot out of it.

Pretty much.

Speaking of virtually flawless anime, I think I know one:

Tsumiki no Ie

If someone HATES this, I honestly think there's something wrong with them.
Jun 12, 2013 12:21 AM

Jan 2013
GaeaRage94 said:
Red_Keys said:
GaeaRage94 said:

GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
This.

(most of the time)

Wow I'm impressed. You're more well-spoken than I thought. Ok you're off the hook lol.
I guess I'm not off the hook just yet then?

Anyway, what makes you think what entertains me doesn't make me think?

Jun 12, 2013 12:30 AM

Nov 2012
el_putazo said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Red_Keys said:
GaeaRage94 said:

GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
This.

(most of the time)

There might be some misunderstandings between us.

Just forget all that for now.

If you agree to this statement, then you're fine:

"Entertainment is the main reason why you'd watch anime, but it's never wrong to ask WHY you like/dislike the things you do."

I think that pretty much sums it up. Any objections to that?
Jun 12, 2013 12:43 AM

Jan 2013
GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Red_Keys said:
GaeaRage94 said:

GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
This.

(most of the time)

"Entertainment is the main reason why you'd watch anime, but it's never wrong to ask WHY you like/dislike the things you do."

Agreed, I don't think there's anything wrong about questioning why you liked/disliked something.

It's just that when you said "feed me entertainment, I dont want to think about it" you made it sound like I'm only in for the big explosions with flashy colors. Part of my entertainment is something that can make me think as well.

Jun 12, 2013 12:59 AM

Nov 2012
el_putazo said:
GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Red_Keys said:
GaeaRage94 said:

GaeaRage94 said:
el_putazo said:
Red_Keys said:
This.

(most of the time)

Agreed, I don't think there's anything wrong about questioning why you liked/disliked something.

It's just that when you said "feed me entertainment, I dont want to think about it" you made it sound like I'm only in for the big explosions with flashy colors. Part of my entertainment is something that can make me think as well.

That's pretty much the misunderstanding right there. "I don't watch to criticise" can actually be taken either to the extreme or lightly. On one hand, it can mean that you don't feel like thinking about why you liked something AT ALL, but it can also mean that you just don't feel like DEEPLY analysing it like the critics/reviewers do.
Jun 12, 2013 1:03 AM

Mar 2012
So if I say I'm already fall in love to the character and screww everything else, what category I fall?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 12, 2013 1:07 AM
May 2010
katsucats said:
miereneronaile said:
katsucats said:
Red_Keys said:
So you think that a person having favorites is being elitist... is what you're saying? How is it the same thing that a person who rates his favorites based on his standards is a person that thinks his standards make him better?

No, I just think that trying to find faults in your favorites because of other peoples judgement on what makes a good show is ridiculous.

Also, in regards to you saying 'you enjoy a series because it does something technically right'

are you serious? Technical things refer specifically to things with.. fact.. You cant have technical correctness in art, for gods sake..

You can have things that are generally accepted as better, but that does not make them so.

katsucats said:

Also, I can find things that were not PERFECT in my favorite anime. It could have been a bit longer or shorter, and that may have improved it. One character specifically I think could have been a bit less annoying.

That said, I dont think these things qualify as FAULTS. A fault is something unsatisfactory, something unpleasant. Something I would rather not have.

To put it simply there was nothing in Angel Beats I found a 'fault'
Minor improvements could have been made, probably, but nothing I found unsatisfactory.
miereneronaileJun 12, 2013 1:11 AM
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 12, 2013 1:10 AM

Oct 2010
Time to take back the old comments.

Anne Of Green Gables - It's hard to get used to it. Anne is not exactly a character that feels attractive at first glance, and I had to get used to her discourse and manners by a few episodes. Also, there's one episode in the second season that wasn't really needed.

Azumanga Daioh - Episode 4. While I do enjoy Kimura's craziness like anyone else, think that a whole episode based only on his pervert antics is excessive. Also the humor is quite grosser than the show's average, which doesn't appeal me at all. I actually enjoyed that episode a lot more in rewatch, but it's still easy as fuck to find flaws. I mean, it's a comedy of multiple sketches. Some of them really fall flat.

Cowboy Bebop - It's the result of its episodic nature, there are one or two below-average episodes in the middle that could have been cut easily and the quality of the series would not have been affected.

Grave Of The Fireflies - Most haters focus on the lack of initiative Seita shows throughout. While I think that was the point of the movie, would agree sometimes it's too overdone.

My Neighbour Totoro - For some strange reason, never found the appeal to the scene where Mei and Satsuki wake up in the night and make trees grow with Totoros.

Princess Mononoke - Would agree with the haters that it's too discursive.

Princess Tutu - The comedy gets quite annoying at the second season; Neko-sensei is clearly not a strong character.

Spirited Away - I don't like the ending.

Whisper Of The Heart - Then again, the ending. What I don't like, however, is not its narrative conclusion but the little miss at pacing that happens between the last phrase of Seiji and the ending credits. Always bugs me as being terribly rushed.

Kino's journey - The OVAs, if they count. If they don't, I didn't like how the episode with the robot family was handled and specially its ending was quite bad.

Usagi Drop - The premise is very fucked up.

Haibane Renmei - The art in general. I actually find the covers and posters more beautiful looking than the actual show, which feels quite dull for its purpose.

Mushishi - The character designs are sooo lazy.

AnoHana - Tsundere tropes in Anaru. It even sounds like a parody at one point.

Adding:

-One Piece: Don't get me started, there's so much stuff after 600 episodes. Starting with Toei's increasing awfulness in drawing, but also with some flat characters, overexposition of emotions/discourses, crappy filler moments, and a slooooow pace.

-Paranoia Agent: The 10th episode is too unrelated, narratively, to the rest. And maybe the ending comes off as a little simplistic for the sake of metaphor.

-The Tatami Galaxy: Its naturally repetitive structure is a little difficult to sit through at first.
Jun 12, 2013 1:13 AM

Aug 2009
Perfect Blue is, well... perfect. I seriously can't find any faults with it.

Jun 12, 2013 1:25 AM

Sep 2012
Absolutely. But then again what one person considers a fault, another person may consider a positive point.

That said, I think it just comes down to the fact that we really don't mind the things that bother us about our favorites so much.
Jun 12, 2013 1:31 AM

May 2012
Of course. Angel Beats is stupid as hell in many ways but there's a lot I love about it. Same goes for Evangelion, Code Geass and Durarara.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
3 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
9 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

65 by Ratris_Decision »»
13 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
17 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.