Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2007 9:40 AM

Aug 2006
Severus Snape -- end of discussion.

No character (at least in any book I've read) made me hate him ... absolutely despise him ... all while absolutely loving him.

While reading how cruel he was to Harry, you almost wanted him to be evil, to watch him meet his demise. Then, when, in SS, you discover he actually saved Harry, then in OotP, when you learned his sad past, you couldn't help but to want him to be good, and to watch him shine above all other characters. Then... book 6... he kills Dumbledore... and we were all in shock. I hated him again after that. Then book 7... book 7...

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!!! DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU HAVEN'T READ

When you think he took George's ear... on purpose... you hate him again, but still held that glimmer of hope that he was good... that the fact that he killed Dumbledore was all some elaborate scheme...

And when you find out... that indeed it was... then you feel vindicated for KNOWING that there was a reason you loved him. But, alas, the revelation comes at a price... Snape's death... and I cried... and cried some more.

Never... NEVER has any character kept me so confused about my emotions, and kept me guessing... until the very end, about his alliances.

BRAVA JKR for giving us such a multi-dimensional character. And BOO at having him killed just as he's revealed to be a good guy (sob).
(Just a side note... I have a major THING for the actor that plays Severus Snape in the movies (Alan Rickman)... the man's voice could melt the coldest of hearts **sigh** I can't wait to see how he carries off the killing of Dumbledore in book 6 and his confession of his love for Lily in book 7. The man is a genius).
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 3, 2007 9:54 PM
Sep 2007
I agree completly. Snap is basicly a BAMF in everyway possible and there is no way ANYONE could argue otherwise

~Ashwood23
Nov 7, 2007 6:17 PM

Aug 2007
I knew Snape was good all along. =] I know everyone says that, but seriously, I liked him from the beginning.

Even at the end of the sixth book, when he killed Dumbledor =[ I still liked him. I'd be like "nope, he's got to be good. I just know it." And Boo-yay! I was right!

He's just so complex of a character, you know? When you look at him (or I guess read at him since he's not real) you think he'd be some sort of twisted, unloving, slimy thing. Then you read the seventh book, (and even in the fith book when Harry sees his memory on accident) and you see that he's capable of love, and that he loved Lily, and you think something totally different.

Oh, btw, I agree with you on the actor thing. He's WAY too old for me, but I love him as an actor. My friends and I have this 'tradition' that whenever we watch Harry Potter and Snape comes on the screen we all shout "SNAPE!" And throw popcorn up in the air...

...or maybe that's only me that does that and everyone esle just gets ringing ears and popcorn crumbs in their hair...
--Just call it roadkill and leave it
Nov 13, 2007 4:15 PM

Nov 2006
I totally agree w/Chelle. Snape is the best character out of all of them. Like Chelle said, he made me go through so many different emotions about him that it became frustrating. Lol At first I hated him because he was an ass...but then you find out all that stuff about him, his past, and what he did for Dumbledore and for the memory of Lily...and you can't help but feel sorry for him and begin to like him even though you're trying really hard not to.

Lol Yeah, Alan Rickman is an amazing actor. I mean, to me he's not hot...but his acting is fantastic. I saw Galaxy Quest after the 1st HP movie came out (he stars in it) and when I saw him I was like, "WTF???". He plays a character with a totally diff. personality and it was so funny and interesting watching him play the role of this other character.
ivorykeysNov 13, 2007 4:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2007 8:06 PM

Aug 2006
LOL. Keep in mind, annanick, that I'm a bit older than the average member... so... it's not so weird that I find him so attractive. And did you see him in Dogma? He was funny as hell. ^__^ I'm looking forward to Christmas time, and watching him play opposite Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. He's actually going to SING!! O_o (Be still my <3) Yes, sing!!! A duet!!! With Johnny Depp!!! I may die in the theatre, but I'll die happy. ^__^
Nov 13, 2007 11:59 PM

Nov 2004
heh, yea Snape was kinda cool, I'm torn between liking and hating him, i mean, he's still not all nice.
As for Alan Rickman, he's great, just saw Love Actually right now, great movie
edit: saw dogma just now as well, alan ftw
AokaadoNov 14, 2007 2:44 AM
Nov 14, 2007 4:28 AM

Aug 2006
Love, Actually. Yosh! Great movie ^_^ So many familiar faces in that one. It's been a while since I've seen it, but Alan kinda plays a cheating bastard s.o.b. and his secretary is a little wh... oh wait... family site... can't repeat that. =3

Oh... and if y'all want to see Rickman at some of his best, check out a movie made for HBO called "Something God Made." He's awesome as hell in that (bring tissue). It's just... well... lucky for Alan, I can look past the obviously fake southern accent in that one. ^_^

There's one I WANT to see, but I don't know if it was ever released in the U.S. It stars him and Sigourney Weaver, called "Snowcake". I need to find that movie.

But, anyway, I digress. This thread is about Severus Snape, not Alan Rickman. **sob**
Nov 14, 2007 3:00 PM

Nov 2006
Lol I totally forgot that you're just a tad bit older than me. =P

Hm, Love Actually...I really want to see that. And I've heard people talk a little bit about Dogma, but I haven't seen any trailers and don't know really what it's about. Oh my gosh...he's going to play opposite of Depp?? Now that's something I've gotta see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2007 1:40 PM
Sep 2007
I was going to post again on how awesome Alan Rickman is but, as Chelle said this is about Snape.....

Mr.Rickman is also wonderful in the movie "perfume" is any of you have watched that interesting (to say the least).

So i just wanted to know everyone's opinion on this: Do you think Snape should be honored as a hero? Or do people think that even though he had such a sad past doesnt mean he is a hero because he still DID bad things?

this is just a general question (truth be told I am in support of him being a hero, a tragic one, but a hero none the less)

~Ashwood23
"Oh well, humans have believed worst things I suppose"
"You mean religion?"
"...Is that what they are calling it nowadays?..."
Nov 15, 2007 7:51 PM

Aug 2006
I think "tragic hero" and "martyr" come to mind. He basically sacrificed his life and his love for the fight against Voldermort. He made werewolf potions for Lupin, whom he despised. He protected the son of the man he hated (even though he did treat Harry like shit). He "killed" a man he idolized for "the cause."

Tragic hero is definitely a fitting term for him. ^_^ and T_T
Nov 15, 2007 8:01 PM

Nov 2004
Nov 16, 2007 6:11 AM

Aug 2006
Aokaado said:
the obsession with lilly, was mostly the reason it seems tho ^^

Yes, it was all for Lily... which is what makes him a "tragic" hero. What would any of us be willing to do for a memory? Just a memory... of someone we loved. For Snape, he did a lot. ^_^
Jul 27, 2008 1:01 PM

Sep 2007
He always had this mysterious aura about him kinda like with vampires like Alucard who are just too cool. I don't know, but i always liked him and i never really thought he was a bad guy...probably makes it sound like im using hindsight. But remember the first book when he was preventing Quirrell from getting the stone ? Before that i thought he was a bad guy, but after realising he tried to save Harry i don't know i just ended up always believing that he was a good guy. Otherwise why would Dumbledore have so much faith in him ? I remember someone saying in the book that Dumbledore trusts too easily, but how can you not trust someone who Dumbledore trusts ? Dumbledore wouldn’t trust someone foolishly and you just have to have full faith in him because he is Dumbledore haha

I don’t know, i knew Snape had dark sides, but things are never black and white, more of a gray just like in the real world ? Think the only time i really hated him was after he killed Dumbledore.

All i know is that he is a great character and Deathly Hallows paid tribute to his greatness. I was so gutted when he died and when i finished the book i think i reread the ‘Prince’s Tale’ chapter like 4/5 times haha. Just so wonderful that he went to such great lengths to protect Harry for the love of his life and when he is about die and asks Harry to look at him ? Made me cry so much when i found out his relationship with Lily :(

Btw the person playing Snape in the movie suits his character perfectly *nods head*

Do you know of ‘The Magnificent Steiner’ ? The main character was normally a weak, sickly man. When he was in an emergency, someone would come and help him. A secret friend. But, the main character never realised...... that his secret friend....Was himself.

Grimmer = Legend
Aug 15, 2008 3:29 PM
Jun 2008
Well, mostly this is opinion that some people would disagree with, including perhaps Rowling. While it isn't fact, I have to agree that Snape was the best character she developed though. I mean, it went beyond just liking the character or not liking him. Not even Harry received as much indepth look at who he was as Snape did.

I've seen many people hate though the little twist she added into the seventh book, but those are the kind of twists I look for in good books, where the hints are there, but it is unexpected all the same. On the fanfiction site I use, I've seen quite a few people though who were mad at this development.

I think what appeals most about him though, he isn't black and white, as so many of the characters are presented to be. The only one I can think of who came close to having as much character development was Dumbledor, but that... it seemed to make him more human then need be, instead of the iconic role model he was.
Oct 28, 2008 3:51 PM
Mar 2008
notanormalchild said:
My friends and I have this 'tradition' that whenever we watch Harry Potter and Snape comes on the screen we all shout "SNAPE!" And throw popcorn up in the air...

That's a brilliant tradition! I may have to steal ^^ I always celebrate his appearances at any rate ^_^

Ah, and Kaname_Tousen, I think we are on the same page ^_^ Obviously through most of the first book I thought Snape was the bad guy - you have no clues otherwise! But as soon as I found out he saved Harry's life and was trying to stop Quirrel, I knew from then on that he was a good guy. And I hate the "but he killed Dumbledore!" argument that people kept spouting after Half-Blood ¬_¬ As I kept saying, Dumbledore said, "Please, Severus!" Not "stop", not "no", but "please"! And Snape hated Dumbledore for making him do it TT^TT

Ohhh, I just love Snape so much, he's the most amazing character (and yes, Alan Rickman is IMO the best acter in the films, he's perfect!)

Also, just a quick word about fanfics; a lot of people are annoyed about the whole Snape/Lily thing, especially Snarry fans. Now personally, I LOVE Snarry, and the Snape/Lily thing was the main reason! The way I see it, Harry embodies Snape's greatest love and his greatest hate - HOW MUCH MORE BEAUTIFULLY ANGSTY CAN YOU GET?!?

"Look at me"... he wanted to see those green eyes one last time... SOBSS~~!!!
Oct 29, 2008 7:51 AM

Mar 2008
SNAAAAA~~AAPE!!! :33 so glad to see he's getting lots and lost of deserved loves ^^ I was one of those people who went around before Deathly Hallows was released saying, "You wait you non-believers, Snape will turn out to be good!" and then I gloated a lot afterwards xD I thought that maybe when he killed Dumbledore my opinion might waver but nah, I was sure he was still a goodie - for reasons Teriyaki stole off me xD (it's all right, we're sisters, it's not like I'm accusing some random stranger x33)

But yes ¬¬ Dumbledore was very mean for making Snape do that. And Rowling-sama is very mean for killing him off T^T stupid snake. ¬¬

And yayyyy! Snarry love:
teriyaki said:
Now personally, I LOVE Snarry, and the Snape/Lily thing was the main reason! The way I see it, Harry embodies Snape's greatest love and his greatest hate - HOW MUCH MORE BEAUTIFULLY ANGSTY CAN YOU GET?!?

haha, knew you'd mention Snarry somewhere here nee-chan ;3
Jun 30, 2009 7:27 PM

Mar 2009
Yeah, he's a very interesting character, but he's not my favorite :O... although his love of Lily Potter is very touching *.*

Oct 20, 2009 9:40 PM

Aug 2009
notanormalchild said:
Oh, btw, I agree with you on the actor thing. He's WAY too old for me, but I love him as an actor. My friends and I have this 'tradition' that whenever we watch Harry Potter and Snape comes on the screen we all shout "SNAPE!" And throw popcorn up in the air...

...or maybe that's only me that does that and everyone esle just gets ringing ears and popcorn crumbs in their hair...

Pfft. He could be my grandfather, but that ain't stopping me! XD

Just had to say, love that tradition, I might have to start doing that. ^.^ My my has one kinda like that, only she just whispers "There he is!" or "There's you man!" in my ear and nudges me when he first comes on screen at the movies...

Anyhoo, back to Snape. He's been my favorite from the start, I was the only one in the family too, so it was always me against at least 8 other people in our Great Snape Debates. Needless to say, I said "I told you so" a lot after the 7th came out.

Sooo, all in favor of an Alan Rickman club on here, say I!

I!!!! ^.^ I've been planning on making one anyway.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Sorting Hat Quiz

kahlua_coco - Oct 8, 2007

37 by malinbelle »»
Feb 7, 2016 1:27 PM

» Deathly Hallows -- Which Death Made You the Saddest?

Chelle - Aug 7, 2007

46 by removed-user »»
Sep 1, 2010 11:53 AM

» Last 'Harry Potter' Book Becomes 2 Films

Asrialys - Mar 13, 2008

7 by Yamane-chan »»
May 6, 2010 2:22 AM

» Harry Potter RP

konakona - Aug 9, 2007

2 by yukigirl »»
Nov 19, 2009 6:29 PM

» Rufus Scrimgeous May Be Left out of the HBP and DH Movies... wtf???

Chelle - Nov 20, 2007

9 by deletemal »»
Aug 3, 2009 2:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.