Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jun 12, 2013 10:24 AM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
This would explain why they were willing to attempt their ambush of the Hideauze, why they would risk their fleet in a desperate frontal attack against their entrenched foe. This interpretation would explain everything, the only thing we need to do to make it non-contradictory is to think that the Alliance bent the truth a little to present Avalon as a spaceship (which is what the troops would understand, they couldn't conceive a planet until they reached one), and that it was completed by the Alliance.

We will find out more next episode. Krugel is older than the soldiers who fought, and since he isn't one of the silver haired, purple eyed group, he probably is the one who knows all the Alliance's secrets (he was the one who said that if the attacked failed, the war was over). There will be a few more twists that easily could destroy this theory. I just hope they resolve the complications instead of increasing them.

I'm still convinced that a space station called Avalon exists, and that it's where the CU leadership is based. Plus I don't really see the point in telling such fibs if they're ultimately planning to return to Earth, where everything will come out into the open.

Kugel has the same color hair; you might have mistaken it for a different color because the lighting kept changing. If you look at 10:15 in EP1, you'll see both Ledo and Kugel in the same frame with the same hair color. His eye color seems a little more dubious however... perhaps a slightly darker shade of red but I honestly can't tell.
Jun 12, 2013 10:39 AM
Oct 2012
morrownight said:
I'm still convinced that a space station called Avalon exists, and that it's where the CU leadership is based. Plus I don't really see the point in telling such fibs if they're ultimately planning to return to Earth, where everything will come out into the open.

Kugel has the same color hair; you might have mistaken it for a different color because the lighting kept changing. If you look at 10:15 in EP1, you'll see both Ledo and Kugel in the same frame with the same hair color. His eye color seems a little more dubious however... perhaps a slightly darker shade of red but I honestly can't tell.

Quite possibly, going on memory that has been bleached. Even so it is clear that he does know more than Ledo, so more will be revealed.

You are also probably correct that Avalon does exist, mine saying that it doesn't was more to provide a more compelling and desperate reason for the Alliance fight, but even if it does, it doesn't mean that my theory is wrong it just leaves the gap between what they say and how they act which has been my chief problem with this show. I will say that I have always been suspicious of Avalon because so much was made of it, and it is a well established rule that you don't show something of consequence without using it (Chekov's gun) later in the plot.

That said, if I were to be honest I would put my theory at around a 15% probability. This show has been remarkably devoid of foreshadowing so far, so predicting what will happen is akin to through darts in the dark. If you hit the target its due to chance, not skill. We have to wait until the next episode for some hopeful clarification.
Jun 12, 2013 11:58 AM

Dec 2010
Did anyone notice that in the last episode, the Evolvers/Hideauze were portrayed as pro-science/technology and the Alliance were portrayed as a regressive society before showing them in diametrically different lights this episode?

I wonder if that means anything.

I liked the Alliance a lot more after this episode, and, I hope the series doesn't turn in a Luddite direction.
Jun 13, 2013 6:47 AM

Apr 2008
This was an interesting episode. So the anti-Evolvers want to maintain the limitations of humanity in order to keep advancing? unlike the evolvers whom stop their advances after achieving the ultimate form. So is this like "Science with no humanity is a sin" concept? I'm curious about Kugal and the cult gathered about him, they obviously are anti Hideauze themselves, and I have a feeling Kugal and Ledo won't be on the same page. Will Ledo still be skeptical about his mission?
Jun 13, 2013 6:52 AM

Mar 2012
I just want to note that Ledo finally called the Alliance out for being a bunch of brainwashers. Homey's turning into a rebel.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 13, 2013 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
Spirai said:
Cronosmu said:
Spirai said:
I mean, firstly, why the hell would you broadcast a threatening "we got the treasure!" message to a bunch of ships

To establish superiority. "We've killed all the squids (yes, those things people from this world used to fear of), so don't mess with us".

And that is still an idiotic move because of reasons A through D. Pinion is not fit to be a leader of any sorts.

He is not meant to be showed as a capable leader or much of a heavy thinker but his actions are the actions of a man feeling unbeatable. Is not that strange at all, people get carried away when they think they are mini-Gods.

niaxato said:
skudoops said:
niaxato said:
Kinda meh episode for me. Funny how everyone just lets Pinion run everything, the guy seems to have lost his mind. Firing on any ship that gets close to them, looks like he is setting himself up to die soon im thinking. Ledo turned into an emo bitch, the solider needs to buck up or self denote himself inside chamber. Chambers speech at the end was the only highlight of the episode other than Kugel being on earth as well.

Hope its last couple episodes can finish strong somehow. Most disappointing series for me this year so far.

-Pinion was the person who even came up with the plan go on the expedition, of course he runs everything. Also realize that the reason Pinion did what he did was to create a reputation of invincibility so no one would try to fight them.

-Of course ledo was in shock, he's was just killing "humans" and "human" babies by the dozens. Being brought up thinking that the hideauze was just some beast that threatened humanity, it would obviously be quite the shock to find out the truth and obviously he was re-evaluating himself and his mission at that point.

-Chamber's speech was great and Kugel being on earth was unexpected, I agree with you there.

I'm surprised this is your most disappointing series, other than the ridiculous fanservice eps I am enjoying it.

I realize pinion was running salvage operation, but he is calling shots like he is commander of the fleet. Also, who discovers fantastic treasure, broadcasts it to the entire world, then says if you come near us you die and no one had a problem with that? These are the same people who were oh so sad Ledo killed the pirates who were going to rape and pillage them, now they have no problems firing on their own people? Whatever I guess, just seems like Pinion took a real dark turn a little to fast, but thats just me. As far as Ledo goes, he just sulks and doesnt say a word of what he has learned, not sure if I needed a whole episode of that, especially when there is only 2 left, but oh well.

First you say no one had a problem with his actions and yet the show showed us the exact opposite. So what where you watching?
Then you speak about the nice people that don't want to hurt even their enemies and you forget that the most peaceful type stayed back in Gargantia and the more agressive among them where the ones who followed Pinion.

Spirai said:
Antanaru said:
Ledo started spouting same hippie bullshit as some people on this forum. It was kind of sad the sole voice of reason came from an AI. Next episodes should be really intriguing. This series has a chance to be the best in this season.

"Hippie bullshit"? Ledo just had a melt-down because he doesn't understand why he's fighting his own species just because the two disagree how humans should live and some idiotic shallow 'restoring our dignity' that Chamber preached. If anyone was the moronic one, it's whatever's been programmed into Chamber.

But they ain't humans. He isn't fighting his own species. Their DNA probably has less similarity than animals have with us by now.

Rebas said:
Did anyone notice that in the last episode, the Evolvers/Hideauze were portrayed as pro-science/technology and the Alliance were portrayed as a regressive society before showing them in diametrically different lights this episode?

I wonder if that means anything.

I liked the Alliance a lot more after this episode, and, I hope the series doesn't turn in a Luddite direction.

The Alliance wasn't regressive, it was just more fearful minded about some paths science can be used for.
As i see it the Evolvers let science dictate them and become whatever their science wanted them to be including losing the ability to think as humans. They surrented to their own creations. The Alliance wanted to dictate it's science and not allow it to alter their image of self.
MonadJun 13, 2013 10:25 AM
Jun 13, 2013 12:55 PM

Mar 2012
Suddenly Pinion shows his true colors. This show needed more SOL episodes.
Jun 13, 2013 12:56 PM

Jun 2012
itsvero said:
My Lord, Pinion is such a douchebag.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, he sure is confident considering without Ledo he wouldn't be where he is now. Awesome episode and the ending leaves me wondering if Kugel is going to have something to do with the Hideauze.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jun 13, 2013 3:07 PM

Dec 2012
The thought has been bothering me since last episode, but I wonder if the retrieval of the ancient technology will lead to a new war on Earth. Pinion already seems extremely over confident and power hungry and he may end up taking his ambitions to new extremes.

Getting a bad feeling that this won't end well.
Jun 13, 2013 5:32 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Monad said:

But they ain't humans. He isn't fighting his own species. Their DNA probably has less similarity than animals have with us by now.

We don't know about that yet. It's too early to make conclusions. There are still a few episodes left.

Also even if they were aliens it doesn't necessarily auto-justify a neverending war against each other. BOTH the CU and the Evolvers are to blame in this case.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 14, 2013 3:54 PM

Jul 2010
I'm curious who the cult around the Colonel is and if he wants Ledo to join him or will try to fight/kill him when he learns how Ledo has changed...

Very interesting episode, though not as action packed as the previous one it might've been even better with Chamber explaining the situation between Humankind and the Hideauze's and their fundamental differences about how they advance in life.
Good to see Ledo think for himself too, and not just accept everything the Alliance told him.
Jun 15, 2013 7:56 AM

Aug 2008
Zel_Ezl said:
The last episode was very depressing. It hurts my feeling. Humans vs. Humans.
What? Did I miss something? I though Alliance is fighting with squid like monsters created from humans couple of centuries ago, not other humans...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 15, 2013 8:19 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Antanaru said:
Zel_Ezl said:
The last episode was very depressing. It hurts my feeling. Humans vs. Humans.
What? Did I miss something? I though Alliance is fighting with squid like monsters created from humans couple of centuries ago, not other humans...

It's a human-made tragedy. They both originated from humans. Both sides are to blame for this never-ending war.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 15, 2013 5:51 PM

Feb 2013
I hope Ledo vs Krugel for next episode...hahaha lol
Jun 17, 2013 5:20 AM

Oct 2012
Excellent episode. The situation Ledo is in really has no true solution. And now Kugel is there. Has he brought galactic war to Gargantia? Is there some sort of option to bring the peace to the galaxy?

One thing is certain though - Pinion is jerk. I can't believe how somone like him can command the fleet.
Jun 18, 2013 1:23 AM

Jul 2008
Oh dear...Kugel is back and he has an Anti-Hideauze cult...this is going to get bad.
Jun 18, 2013 5:13 PM

Sep 2012
shits bout to get real next ep.
Jun 18, 2013 8:43 PM

Apr 2009
Whoa, Ledo's superior is back in black - with a cult of his own. Okay, maybe I wasn't so surprised about his superior officer landing on Earth like him. That's what I get for accidentally spoiling myself. Now that he's appeared, I guess Ledo no longer has independent operational command as per the Alliance's rules and regulations (and most military organizations). I wonder what he'd say about the subversive footage Ledo has discovered.
Jun 19, 2013 4:28 AM

Dec 2011
Can't stop. Must continue.

Best single episode of any anime this season. So far, anyway.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 19, 2013 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
Wow... This Anime is amazing, I have to say. How the hell do they want to end this in 3 episodes?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 21, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2011
I think that Kugel joined the pirates or something, I'm pretty sure that this won't be a friendly encounter...
GodlyKyon said:
Wow... This Anime is amazing, I have to say. How the hell do they want to end this in 3 episodes?

A second season or everybody dies.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 23, 2013 10:29 AM

Oct 2009
I want to punch Pinion..don't see what he's doing ending good.

Kugel! I kinda thought at the beginning of the series he might show up alive, but not this way :O
Jun 23, 2013 11:16 PM
Aug 2010
What's the problem? Humans have been killing each other in the name of pillaging, territory, and, to a lesser extent, ideals since dawn of mankind. If anything, one side looking like deepsea animals should make things easier. Yeah yeah, I know; given Ledo's upbringing and what he's been told all his life (that the meaning of the war was to save humanity), his reaction is understandable but I'm just saying, its really no different from any other war.
Jun 24, 2013 3:53 PM

Jul 2010
Pinion thinks like a kid; he's so foolish.

It looks like his colonel came after Ledo! How is he ever going to convince him of what he saw?

Jul 7, 2013 1:41 PM

May 2013
Lol was eating while realizing that
he killed semi humans and spit :p

and could it be possible that
Jul 7, 2013 2:29 PM

Sep 2011
Shits about to go down!
Jul 10, 2013 10:35 AM

Oct 2011
So good! Kugel's back with an anti-Hideauze cult, Pinion's thinking of making his own powerful fleet and Ledo doesn't have a clue what to do.
Aug 10, 2013 11:44 AM

May 2012
Damn it's getting really dark and has a depressive atmosphere all around it! But that ending sure was interesting, so Kugel also made it to earth well that's pretty convenient I really wonder what will happen next!
Aug 27, 2013 7:13 PM

Feb 2010
Wow. How the hell is this going to end...???
Sep 11, 2013 2:22 AM

Jun 2012
To be honest, (guess I might be the only one) I disagree with much of Chamber's justification. I'm not saying that the Hideuze aren't still the enemy, but it seems to me like Ledo's side was the one who has it wrong. Assuming they were the Union from Earth, they were apparently the warmongers in the past, and the ones who struck first blood. If not for that there would be no reason for the war. Like any war, both sides are pretty much in the wrong, and having differing opinions is a retarded reason for a war... in an infinitely vast universe, you'd think they would have enough space to completely ignore each other, and just live happily in their own ways. Of course, I'm sure humanity would eventually fight amongst themselves again either way. But I suppose this makes the series better, since it's how humans actually act.

On another note, I'm honestly not really sure how to view Pinion. I don't like what he's doing now, but he seems like he'd make a good friend, but currently I guess he's just blinded by a need for revenge. He kinda reminds me of Wakka from Final Fantasy X... his personality, appearance, and his past / convictions as well... even his tone of voice somehow sounds similar. Not to mention he lives on a water planet.

Bobjones said:
What's the problem? Humans have been killing each other in the name of pillaging, territory, and, to a lesser extent, ideals since dawn of mankind. If anything, one side looking like deepsea animals should make things easier. Yeah yeah, I know; given Ledo's upbringing and what he's been told all his life (that the meaning of the war was to save humanity), his reaction is understandable but I'm just saying, its really no different from any other war.
So you're saying that because all wars are the same, simply learning a truth of this magnitude is no reason to want to stop slaughtering humans? It's not just his upbringing, anyone with any form of compassion should feel what he felt there, no matter the conclusion said person comes to. That's pretty callous to say that simply because he's a soldier he should just mindlessly continue to kill other humans.

"Soldiers" are human beings as well. And yes in pretty much every war the soldiers are lied to to make them believe that what they're doing is for the good of humanity. Perhaps it's just being gullible, but when you're raised that way no other thought would really cross your mind. If you take, for one example, Japan when America struck back at them... many Japanese were completely devastated when Americans actually treated those they captured with decency, when they were brainwashed into believing that Americans were like the Hideuze... mindless monsters who kill and mutilate they're victims.
HalibelTheEspadaSep 11, 2013 2:33 AM
Oct 30, 2013 5:49 PM

Sep 2011
Humans are just destined to fight amongst themselves... I liked Chamber's explanation.
Ledo has it pretty tough though, I feel sad for him :/

Should have guessed that Kugel might be alive. And of course he had to meet a bunch of probably whalesquid-haters. I'm not surprised that they probably worship him as some kind of a god/messiah who will destroy the whalesquids for them.

I'm expecting some nice mecha vs mecha action.
I have a fear though that Kugel might be able to overwrite Chamber's orders due to his superior authority compared to Ledo's.
Apr 18, 2014 9:22 PM

Feb 2013
To me it looks like Pinion is becoming more and more of a douchbag. It looks like to me he'll become a villain or something. Kugel is back and alone? I couldn't tell if there were more other people than just him. Ledo having so many conflictions. Is he gonna go back to the Galatic Alliance and continue to kill more Hideuze or stay? Great episode!
May 16, 2014 3:36 PM

Jun 2011
Pirates are not human.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 21, 2014 1:06 PM

Oct 2013
wut is going on the twist are real!!
[/quote]
Aug 13, 2014 9:01 PM

Jun 2014
wat. Even if the colonel survived the battle in ep1, the wormhole was shut down when Ledo passed through.. anyway, it seems this show is nearing the climax.
Feb 8, 2015 4:57 AM

Nov 2009
This series is awesome, Really enjoyed what I have watched thus far. Interesting development these last 2 episodes its hard to believe that the Hideuze are actually humans or were humans its completely changed everything.
May 30, 2015 11:48 PM
Jun 2013
well shit is about to get real with the whole fleet now finding him. However I dont get why ledo doesint say anything to anyone about the whalesquid being people. Also pinion sure has turn to a dick.
Jan 28, 2016 10:53 AM
Nov 2015
I like that, as it stands, Pinion is the main antagonist of the show so far and it's because of anger and greed and small mindedness rathn evil. I suspect Kugel will be the real "big bad" next episode on, but still it was interesting to see Pinion's worst side come out so strong.
Jan 24, 2017 12:57 PM
Jan 2012
I imagined many confusion arrived kugel. I need explications kugel arrived in gargantia.
May 11, 2017 7:52 PM
Aug 2014
Have to mostly agree with Chamber here, the way things are now it's a them or us situation.

Not sure why Ledo is getting that upset over killing creatures that were at one point humans, but have long since (d)evolved into Hideauze. Vaporizing all those pirates didn't phase him very much, he of course has changed since then, but still.
Jan 4, 2018 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
Nice twist, didn't expect that. This anime's proved that it can indeed get good during both serious and SoL moments.
Dec 20, 2018 10:47 AM

Apr 2013
I never liked Pinion, now I know again why. So Kugel is also alive, I assume there will be a fight between him and Ledo about fighting those squids or not. Maybe Ledo and Gargantia vs Kugel and Pinion?
Aug 1, 2020 9:10 AM
Oct 2019
Pinion went from normal to total lunatic in less than an episode? Huh?

And everyone on Gargantia being all sad about the whale squids is lame. Sure, they think they're "sacred", but I don't think the show did much to actually make the viewer believe that or care.

I don't understand Chamber saying the Hideauze have abandoned society. How else do they work together to fight the humans? How come they swim in a large pod? How come they have a large, centralized nesting location? Doesn't add up.

Kugel possibly being alive is an interesting twist.
HagePotPotatoAug 1, 2020 9:19 AM
May 7, 2021 9:40 AM

Jun 2020
Ledo going through after effects of committing genocide
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Jan 2021
Commiting mass genocide is fine if they evol;ved from Humans
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.