Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2011 11:40 AM

Feb 2009
This is one of those heavy on emotions, I already fear for the finale. I'm intrigued by the eye-patched girl.

Can't say it enough, the art is simply out of this world. Reminds me of the beautiful scenarios of 5 Cm per Second and The Place Promised on Our Early Days.
Nov 11, 2011 7:46 AM

Jun 2011
So in the end Chihiro and Kei are really twins, n wonder they somehow looked kinda the same. Quite confusing since this anime apparently has 2 main male characters; Renji and Hiro.

I feel sorry for Chihiro already for having memory than only lasts for 13 hours...
Jan 22, 2012 11:59 PM

Jun 2011
I like Renji and Chihiro's story alot more than Hiro Hiro and Miya Miya's one..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 20, 2012 11:48 PM
Mar 2010
Getting through this episode was an absolute chore. So slow! And the memory defect thing was obvious 5 minutes into episode 1.

The characters are still looking cliche to me... And it reminds me way too much of a cross between something by KEY and 5 cm per sec. The characters really aren't unique, and the dialogue is boring as hell. We'll see what happens in the later episodes -- it might get better.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Apr 6, 2012 10:44 PM

May 2010
Okay...something actually happened.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 9, 2012 4:59 PM

Jul 2011
The art is really good. Everything about the visuals is stunning, which has me really excited! c: The music is pretty as well, which puts this anime off to a good start.

I also noticed the memory thing is similar to 50 First Dates, but hopefully they'll be able to put their own spin on it, which I'm expecting it to do. I'm not really bored yet but I'm not fully pulled in. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Jul 5, 2012 8:37 PM

May 2009
Too slow...
Jul 9, 2012 2:08 PM
Jul 2012
Omg that's so sad ):
That is going too be hard, and much tears i think.
Jul 22, 2012 12:52 AM
May 2012
Wow! The end was amazing! ^_^
Nov 4, 2012 4:03 AM

May 2012
Great second episode so the main characters have all something to do with writing:

Manga Artist
Novel Artist
Film Artist

Interesting concept, but as though about Chihiro that she had something special around her, wouldn't have expected something like a memory defect, so I wonder how that will progress!

Either way great episode with a nice ED!
Jan 1, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
Impressions so far:
- Renji needs a haircut. One that won't make him look like a member of some emo scene band.
- the memory defect thing was obvious, seeing that she kept asking weird questions like "are you Renji-kun?" Though that puts an interesting spin on things, really looking forward to see their relationship develop.
- purple hair headband chick isn't really related to Hiro, is she? Just a childhood friend?
- really hope there won't be a love triangle between aforementioned chick, Miya, and Hiro.
- Miya's annoying
Feb 9, 2013 4:15 PM

Apr 2012
At first I thought that it was part of his manga until she mentioned her sister, god this show is confusing.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Mar 31, 2013 10:40 PM

Dec 2008
Finally got around to watching this show, and man... I have to say that I'm impressed. The story and drama is very good, but what stands out to me so much is the animation. I'm watching the Blu-ray version, and I have honestly never seen animation this spectacular, even from Kyoto animation, and I'm a hardcore KyoAni fanboy. It's like every scene, every frame is a crafted work of art, rather than a flatten medium upon which to convey a story. The detail they put into expressions and lighting in particular is just amazing. I can't imagine what kind of budget this show worked with...
Aug 9, 2013 1:52 PM

Mar 2012
kinda boring
Aug 24, 2013 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
The buildup to Chihiro revealing her illness was very well done since it allowed the viewer to pretty much understand what it was before she got to it. I also liked the exchange between Hiro and Miyako. They have the whole skipping class thing in common so I'm sure they'll be spending more time together.

One thing I didn't mention last episode was the student's uniforms. It's rather unique in that it's not unique. The guys were suits and the girls have a simple design. However, this is what led me to like it so much. It makes them seem older and this is rather appropriate since they do act a bit more mature than the beta MCs I'm used to seeing as well as the fact that Hiro already has a job.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Aug 31, 2013 8:46 PM

Nov 2012
yes! chihiro almost in all episode.. :3
it is really beautiful episode.. I started to like this anime.. it is gonna be a masterpiece I think! XD
hmm that make sense now.. why chihiro acting like she doesn't remember anything everytime she meet renji :/
it is really sad :/
Oct 20, 2013 9:25 AM

Jun 2013
As expected from SHAFT.
Those angles!
Loved the art.
Got spoiled by the synopsis ._.
Nov 13, 2013 5:03 PM

Sep 2011
Well I pretty much knew she was gonna have some kind of a memory-related problem because of the synopsis (didn't remember it exactly since I read it long ago), but that really sucks :(
Jan 31, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2013
Chihiro condition is fucking depressing. Every problem that relate to memory trouble me a lot...

I already smell a double love triangle : Kei x Hiro x Miyako and Kyosuke x Kei x Hiro xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 16, 2014 4:34 PM
Mar 2013
“Please keep it a secret even after you pass away or go to hell” lol xD I’m starting to like Chihiro already. It’s quite sad that she has a memory defect :/

I’m not exactly sure how she even knows that she has memory loss if she keeps forgetting it. I guess that book of hers serves as a diary to record her memories.
Feb 23, 2014 4:08 PM
Jan 2014
I have a feeling that this anime will end with me in tears.
May 19, 2014 4:07 AM
Aug 2011
Is there a way to censor out Renji's head?
Aug 16, 2014 10:29 AM

Jan 2014
Mmh, I really like it.
It seems that the story between Chihiro and Renji is the center of the show.. but I'm not sure, I'm eager to see how it develops.
At this point I am more convinced that Hiro and the twin sister of Chihiro aren't really related, I thought it from the first episode, without even really believe it.
Or maybe they are, but Hiro, being just one year older than them, is just obscured from the knowledge of another sister.
It could be that she was adopted by someone else because of something.
But I'm more orientated towards the first hypothesis, because if she really was, then the film-maker would have known it instead of treat her in the entrance like some random girl.
This explains also why he didn't recognized her down the street, when he was shooting and saw her.
Don't know, but I also want to see how his story develops.

I am also thinking to the encounter between Chihiro and Hiro at the beginning of the last episode..

Edit: God how am I dumb. Just read the synopsis.
NostalgiaDrive94Aug 16, 2014 10:40 AM
Apr 28, 2015 8:30 AM

Sep 2014
This is shaping up to be a very interesting story. I suspected something with her memory, but only after she asked if he was Renji-kun and greeted him formally, like it was their first meeting.

I'm wondering how Renji knows Himura, it will be revealed in due time though I'm sure.
Mirai, zura~!
May 18, 2015 4:32 PM

Aug 2009
OMG WHAT A TWIST! lol jk i knew it had to do with her memory

on the other hand hiro and miya's story doesnt seem that interesting

keep 'em going
Sep 22, 2015 11:56 AM

Jan 2014
kiwigreeneyes said:
notsureifsrs said:
I didn't feel it was outstanding at this point either. Just average.

Halfway through is where it gets good.

Good to know, thanks. :)
Yeah, good to know.
Sep 29, 2015 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
Now that's interesting. The basketball from the previous episode wasn't a symbol at all, but rather a direct relation to Kei in that Kei plays basketball. Now, what makes this strange is that when Asou (I'll call him Renji from here on) first saw Chihiro, we saw angel-like wings; what that could possibly mean, I'm not entirely sure, but I get the feeling it relates to the woman from the church somehow (whose presence still feels ethereal in nature, seemingly appearing in a dream of Hiro's).

In terms of direct developments, the cast was connected a lot more in this episode. I noticed that Chihiro addressed Kei as "oneechan" in her texts in the last ep, but I still wasn't sure if they were actually related. Now that we know they're twins, it makes me wonder how Hiro fits into this. In the first episode he acted like he had never been inside that church, yet it seems like Chihiro lives there. At that, we discovered that the man at the church, Himura, knows both Chihiro and Renji. Other less-critical but still relevant reveals included Kyosuke's lack of knowledge of Kei's relation to Hiro, as well as Miyako's status as a student at the school Hiro, Renji, and Kyosuke attend. I also think it's worthy of note that both ethereal woman and Himura are acting as advisers.

With all of the info given, we can make a couple inferences.

Firstly and most obviously, the grayscale shots at the school finally make sense now that we know Miyako is a student there. From here on I'm going to try to pay special attention to said shots since it could potentially be Miyako's perspective.

Secondly, the true relationship between Hiro and Kei is brought into question. Why did Hiro specifically ask Kei to not refer to him as "brother" while at school? Is it because they aren't actually related, or is it because there's some hidden reason for them to want their relations hidden? The former case would explain Kei's attention-seeking tendencies in relation to Hiro, as well as Hiro's lack of familiarity with the church. However, the latter case could explain Hiro's deep sense of responsibility to live out his dream, since it appears (to him) that Chihiro won't even get a chance to. Either scenario leaves room for development: If Hiro and Kei are siblings, then the void that has caused Kei to seek Hiro's attention so much can be revealed (and potentially explored through Kyosuke or Himura). If Hiro and Kei aren't siblings, Hiro's lack of satisfaction with the world can be addressed (likely through his developing relationship with Miyako) since he won't have a direct reason that we know for feeling such a deep responsibility toward his dream.

I liked the contrast between Hiro's and Chihiro's respective confessions.

We had another title relation (cause and effect) with The Way Home::Promise.

I think this is a little early to be complaining about character development given that we're only two episodes in, and we're dealing with more than one story. Everything seems to be progressing well enough at this point; this is an appropriate way to deal with heavier drama.

On a final note, I wouldn't dare chance reading the synopsis for this. There's way too much stuff to speculate on to risk getting spoiled and losing that opportunity.
Oct 22, 2015 1:44 AM

Jul 2009
Miyako is really after Hiro, huh?
Chihiro and Kei are twins, no wonder why they look a like! So sad that Chihiro lost her memory every day, it reminds me of "Isshuukan Friends"
Dec 21, 2015 5:01 AM
Nov 2014
That was a shocking reveal.
Nov 11, 2016 6:55 PM

Mar 2015
I dont understand why most of the people call this show as likeable but whats so great about this show? Its just 2 episodes and nothing still happened yet though.

Nice setting to have 13 hrs memory.

3/5
Jan 1, 2017 4:25 PM

Nov 2016
Wow, this was a powerful episode, even though I saw that coming. I'm completely hooked up now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2017 5:06 AM
Jan 2017
It really looks like I am watching 5cm/s.
Oct 31, 2017 6:16 AM

Jul 2008
I knew something felt off, Chihiro can't remember anything. Well that will add to some drama.
Dec 20, 2017 2:14 AM

Mar 2015
Whoa, so she has short term memory loss. I didn't know anything about the premise since I didn't read the synopsis/summary, but I did notice she said "are you Renji-kun?"

Also I still don't get why there's 2 main romance arc, one with Chihiro and Renji and the other one with a love triangle of Kei, Hiro and Miya.

Apr 25, 2018 5:37 AM

Sep 2017
Do all SHAFT animations just suck? Now I got the answer.

Just putting meaningless animated sequences and neck tilts and irrelevant scenes doesn't make an anime good. It just distracts us from the plot of the story, which I am seriously doubting if there is any.

So, ef a tale of memories is about a "romantic" anime written from the perspective of Chihiro who has a memory defect(surprise surprise), and she writes about her day every day or so.

What the audience is left to wonder at the end is whether Chihiro's mind reset after telling the red guy that she has a memory defect.

I am not at all interested in the story between the manga artist(whose 'sister' is the twin of Chihiro, and the same girl a photographer is interested in, more than his gf) and some random Christmas girl who apparently skips classes(I say apparently cause I think she is a yandere within who did it to get close to him).

I am putting this on hold. Because I am thoroughly disappointed with what I saw. It is like what you would expect an anime to be if it was based on matchmaking couples. That's it. I think that this will be at the same level of disappointment as other SHAFT anime.

Sayonara to this series.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 17, 2018 9:33 AM

Apr 2015
FFS Yanase's voice acting, haha
Her acting is exactly the one I think of when I think of VNs
Feb 3, 2019 12:12 PM

Aug 2018
"And do you have memories, what you wouldn't want to forget?.."
After first episode the answer was more of a "maybe no"..
And with looking from perspective if I would forget everyday memories?.. More of "I don't know".. Well, if I'd live with forgetting everyday memories, it certainly would be harder to live..
I wonder, if anime would make me cherish my memories more.. I doubt that, it's more of to my responsibility to cherish them more or not.. But still, it's interesting..

Also, quote about sisters being different.. And the other one being like, would die if stopped moving.. Seemed important for some reason..
GendolfasFeb 3, 2019 12:16 PM
Nov 1, 2019 12:55 PM

Dec 2015
The show continues to dazzle me aesthetically, it's really pretty to look at. I enjoy the soundtrack a lot too, it fits very well.

I had a feeling she had something with her memory. Not only because of last episode, but because of the title as well. I can't even imagine how tough it would be to live like that. I wonder how the two of them are gonna develop.
Dec 13, 2020 4:58 AM

Aug 2018
I liked the episode but I am not a fan of Chihiro's voice.
_______I like rocks__
Jan 18, 2021 4:34 PM
Dec 2019
Good episode. Still don't really know how this show is going to play out.

I've taken philosophy classes at Uni about the nature of the self/construct of the self. Really cool to see eye patch talking about not being the same person because her memory gets wiped every 13 hours.

As usual the visuals look good. Some shots are super shaft looking and others are a nice refresher. Hoping this anime keeps it up. It's at a high 6/low 7 right now.
Dec 29, 2021 11:14 PM

Jan 2010
Shaft's visuals never fail to at least be interesting to look at. It feels like a lot happened in the past few episodes, yet at the same time not much has actually happened. Perhaps it's because there's been a lot of information and development, but they raise more questions than anything else. There seems to be a lot of underlying mysteries that'll be answered eventually, at least presumedly.
Sep 1, 2022 2:57 PM

May 2018
As expected Chihiro has a memory problem. Having to write down your everyday life just to remember must be awful T_T
Sep 15, 2022 2:16 PM

Jan 2013
phantom19 said:
The buildup to Chihiro revealing her illness was very well done since it allowed the viewer to pretty much understand what it was before she got to it.

Yeah I liked this too.
It's scary knowing you'll never be the same person the following day or at least not retaining memories.
That's ultimately what we are, a collection of memories.

Also it's fun to see some of Shafts visual style come through in an older series since I mostly got to know it through the Bakemonogatari franchise.
PrOxAntoSep 15, 2022 2:54 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

279 by mattchoo »»
Feb 3, 4:46 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.