Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 6, 2009 5:54 AM
Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The beginning made me soooooooo because it was so emotional.TO ALL HERE! You can do whatever you want to me if this is not true:watching this anime after a stressful day will calm anyone down. Trust me this anime is very very soothing! As a serious anime viewer (forgive me all for my time sometimes is busy!) I would not be lying but it is best you all watch season 1. Don't be lazy! The first season is only 13 episodes so it's not that long.

On the review of this great first episode!

Th OP was so beautiful like I mentioned earlier I T_T so much! It was great indeed to see Natsume back again! Boy it was a great surprise from the beginning! Natsume sitting and reading a book until O_O big surprise! Nastume gets hit with a soccer ball! Damn that hurts! So he goes to get the ball but then I was more shocked with chill as a Youkai (that would be demons in Japanese) appears wanting its name back from Natsume's Yuujinchou (that would mean book of friends). This also because this Youkai almost chokes Natsume to death. It was Really that great to see Madara (known as Nyanko sensei) to appear! I was very happy! Man was I annoyed that Nyanko was fooling around at such a crucial moment but then again good thing Natsume punches both the Youkai and Nyanko since he did not hep Natsume. Natsume also breaks a sealing barrier so that is how the black cat must have gotten released.

Great to see Reiko and Natusme's dad! His family is always heart warming even if they are weirded out by Natsume's powers. It was so funny to see that suddenly a black appeared! He looks like Madara! Hahahaha! So when Natsume washes Ryo the black cat! It was also funny that Natsume though at the beginning that the black cat was Madara and scolded him for walking with his dirty paws yet the cat did not even know about all this. Talk about a big misunderstanding!

Seeing the black cat with Madara (real one!) was great! It was both funny and huh? Great comedy until DRAMA! The book gets stolen by Ryo! Guess Madara and Natsume freak out!Natsume freaks out more!

Great, so they look for the black cat but stumble upon a sort of Youkai festival/picnic. Good thing Honie comes back with a eye patch in the form of a butterfly on one of her eyes and lends a hand to Natsume. Allow me to explain:you see Natsume cannot into the festival to see if the black cat is hiding among those people Youkais because they can smell him as human. So Honie makes him a seal to seal that smell os they think he is part of them.

VERY VERY nice scene of flash back to see how Natsume got the Yuujinchou from his grand-mother Reiko I loved it! It was well done with the colors. It was hilarious when Nyanko-sensei transforms into Reiko (yes, the cat can take almost any human shape it wants). So the festival starts and may I add that the demons were fine made as far as art goes to show their imperfections. Suddenly to my surprise a big Youkai chief shows up and and starts telling the Youkais about a rebellion against the humans!This most not good at all! Finally the black cat appears again and Natsume chases it to finally catch the book! Great stuff! Honie talks to the black cat and Madara has his own fun until the big Youkai boss appears again.

This time he finds out that Natsume is a human. Really bad! The next scene that followed made me sooooooo much T_T T_T T_T is incredible! So much tears! So beautiful! Natsume remembers how to activate the names within the Yuujinchou and finds the name of the black cat to be Ryo. He then gives back his name and BIG BIG SURPRISE! The black cat turns into such a beautiful angel! OMG it is so beautifully made! Outstanding! Most shocking was that this angel was human and got caught in a hunter's trap to be rescued by another human.

To be properly nurtured and well taken care off! So cute and beautiful! Then it was great again to see Natsume in his place with Honie and Madara! Things ended great!

I LOVE THE ED ALSO! The ED for me is better than the one from first season! Stay tuned for the next review of this because the next episode gets more serious already it was serious beginning of this season during this episode!

1.The soccer ball was ouch for Natsume!
2.Was having a shock when the Youkai was strangling Natsume!
3.Good to see old feuds start between Nyanko-sensei and Natsume
4.Meet Natsume's parents! His mom is named Reiko!
5.Nyanko-sensei and the black cat look cute together!
6.Honie's appearance was nice!
7.Great flash back of Nastume when he was young and receiving the Yuujinchou!
8.Youkai festival picnic!
9.The big boss (he is most powerful around those Youkais) at the Youkai festival.
10.OH NO! The big boss grabs Natsume! Noooooooooo!
11.Most beautiful scene and this is episode 1! O_O

KanashimiJan 6, 2009 10:45 PM
Jan 6, 2009 9:30 AM

Oct 2007
david167 said:
watching this anime after a stressful day will calm anyone down.

This is so true, I've had one of the worst days at work today and watching Natsume really helped me calm down and forget today's stress ^_^
Jan 6, 2009 1:08 PM
Jan 2009
Onibaba said:
david167 said:

This is so true, I've had one of the worst days at work today and watching Natsume really helped me calm down and forget today's stress ^_^

GOOD STUFF ^_^
Jan 6, 2009 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
I expected another calm Natsume episode, but no, the opening was more upspeed, brighter but still good.
I thought the first part of the episode was a bit different from first season, more jokes and more fun, but the overall episoed was exactly how Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou should be. And I (and my mother, she recommended me this Anime^^) am looking forward to 12 weeks of nice youkai entertainment :D
Jan 6, 2009 8:53 PM

Jul 2007
Good solid way to start the new season of Natsume. Has all the elements that everyone loved from the first season.
Jan 6, 2009 10:06 PM

Nov 2006
I can't even express my love for this episode...I missed this show so much. ;A;

The OP wasn't what I was expecting but I think the music'll grow on me. The animation was fantastic.

The mix of humor and drama was perfect as usual. Natsume getting hit in the head with a soccer ball barely a minute in was perfect.

Riou's human form was cute. <3

The ending was beautiful too...ahhh all of it was beautiful.
Jan 6, 2009 10:09 PM
Feb 2008
Yes... This is still a very good Anime...

5/5 on thie Episode :)
Jan 6, 2009 11:41 PM

Jul 2007
Great episode, I was really looking forward to this :D
The animation was great, story was great, and the ending theme was just as nice as the 1st season's.
Jan 6, 2009 11:52 PM

Sep 2008
Beautiful episode. I like the new OP and ED. I'm in love with Natsume again XD
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Jan 7, 2009 1:11 AM

Mar 2008
Here we go again XD!

Looks like they also changed to a winter theme too, which actually feels a lot better summer (wonder why...)

and they little monologue at the end was pretty aria-like, which was awesome as well.

looking forward to this season
Jan 7, 2009 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
I just love this episode.
I am very glad to see Madara in his true from again in this episode. It is very fun to see Natsume and Madara quarrel again :). Can't get enough of Natsume Yuujinchou.
Jan 7, 2009 1:49 AM

Nov 2007
A great start for season 2. It's definitely got the elements that made me like season 1, and more. I definitely find the animation and overall quality of the show to have improved. The OP is kinda upbeat, but still good, and the ED is just great.

It's been some time since I finished the last season, and I've been expecting a lot out of this one, and I'm glad it didn't disappoint. It still has that nice mix of drama and comedy that I like, and it still has that light, calm, and soothing atmosphere that puts me at ease and relaxes me. I'm hoping the rest of this season will be as good, or better than this episode.
Jan 7, 2009 3:48 AM

Nov 2007
Ah, its nice to have Natsume Yuujinchou back on air. Nice start to the new season, wonderful relaxing ED and nice animation. Looking forward for next week once more~
Jan 7, 2009 4:49 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Great first episode, looks like the animation improved. It lost nothing of its spirit so this should be a really nice season. Music sounds good too.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 7, 2009 8:18 AM

Aug 2008
Wonderful episode! Wasn't a fan of the expository elements of the first couple of minutes, but that gag at the beginning really set a nice pace for the seemingly brighter tone of this season. Animation looks so much more fluid than last season, so Zoku is showing a definite growth/improvement from last year's great premier.
Jan 7, 2009 8:30 AM

Feb 2008
first episode was great, met all of my expectations! loving every single minute of the episode, couldn't get enough of nyanko sensei! can't wait till next week!!!!

Jan 7, 2009 8:37 AM

Feb 2008
not a bad way to start this show. i hope they develop the other characters some more too. the ending song is not too bad....not my cup of tea though.
Jan 7, 2009 8:59 AM

Sep 2008
david167 said:

Agree! Welcome back Natsume!

Good ep, and the setting totally changed, cold and snowy - just like view from my window.... Also graphics seems better, really great start.

The one thing I dislike about second season is opening song - feel like it's not suit well, on the other hand ending song is just wonderful!
Jan 7, 2009 10:36 AM

Dec 2007
great episode. the animation is better, wonderfull feeling as usual and also many funny moments

Jan 7, 2009 11:13 AM

Oct 2007
And Natsume is back. So there is nothing else I want to ask for.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 7, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2008
Great episode I've missed this serie. And sub was HD great :)
Jan 7, 2009 11:46 AM

Aug 2007
Ah, what a cute start. Finally an opening that's more fitting [to my likings]. Kuro Maneki Nyanko was awesome, especially when he was just sitting there after the shower. Too bad that Riou had such a boring face. When the will-o-wisps appeared, I though immediately: ... xxxHolic, anyone? Almost the same thing happened in the two series. Anyhow, the animation is really better than the previous season: what isn't? I'm just hoping that it will keep continuing to be as good as it's now.
DragonsWhipJan 7, 2009 11:49 AM
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jan 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Apr 2007
Great start to what will hopefully be another wonderful season of Natsume Yuujinchou. Love the new ED.
Jan 7, 2009 1:06 PM

Oct 2007
So happy its back XD really missed the comedy relationship between Natsume & Nyanko sensei!

The soundtrack for the OP & ED are different to the ones they used in the first season but they are good and growing on me - as for the episode its was a great opening episode and was really funny with the black Nyanko sensei look alike XP

looking forward to the next episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2009 1:15 PM

Jan 2008
Very smooth and well-executed like most of the Natsume episodes. I think it got more energetic rather than relaxing as in the first season. But the balance was good too, so no complaints whatsoever. Anyway, easily the best start of the season and likely to be the best in general as welll(dunno much about the "huge" hajime no ippo: a new challenger, since im still stuck in the first season XD). I am really glad that BSS is releasing their subs HD, and the animation seems to go up one level or two. OP was fine i guess but the ED was better than i expected. Agh, now impatiently waiting for the second episode to be aired :P
Jan 7, 2009 1:30 PM

Nov 2007
I hadn't realized how much I missed this show.
Jan 7, 2009 1:54 PM
Dec 2007
So happy to see Natsume back, and as fantastic as ever :D The OP/ED and the animation are even better too !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 7, 2009 2:00 PM

Dec 2008
Beautiful episode and in my opinion the OP and ED are better than the first season. It feels like Natsume is more active and I really enjoy this episode's story. It's a really warm story and I can't wait for the second one, but it is really going to be sad if they show an ending with Natsume dying and Nyako sensei isolating from humans. I hope this doesn't end like this...
Jan 7, 2009 3:26 PM

Jun 2008
I like it when Nyanko is in his girl form. :D

This episode was great but I don't like the new opening much.

And Natsume is getting lonely :o
Jan 7, 2009 3:40 PM
Aug 2007
THANK YOU, 2009, FOR THE GIFT OF MOAR NATSUME YUUJINCHOU~ :D

I'll admit it, the ending make me cry just a little bit. Natsume always catches me off-guard and makes me weepy for all the right reasons.

Plus, Nyanko-sensei = A++++ as usual. And black!lucky cat was really cute >:3
Jan 7, 2009 7:20 PM

Jun 2007
lol I wonder if Natsume's friends are still waiting for the soccer ball...

Great episode!
Jan 7, 2009 9:40 PM

Dec 2007
op is awesome, 1st ep was good too, looks like the begging of a good series, yay

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Jan 8, 2009 1:06 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
idk why i'm watching this. i feel like it's not my cup of tea.
well i watched the first season, might as well watch the second one...

this episode was nice. that's it.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 8, 2009 2:15 AM

Jun 2008
Great episode, the black fake was funny. xD
5/5 from me. =D
Jan 8, 2009 9:25 AM

Oct 2008
damn i really don't know what do you like in this anime, for me is just another pointless production. releasing spirits is such a pointless job, for what is he doing it damn it. i understand his obaasan - she wanted to have many servants but releasing ... why jis "sensei" don't kill him in instant and take this book it's another "secret" pff it's as bad as 1st seson ...
Jan 8, 2009 2:14 PM

Nov 2006
Hronic said:
damn i really don't know what do you like in this anime, for me is just another pointless production. releasing spirits is such a pointless job, for what is he doing it damn it. i understand his obaasan - she wanted to have many servants but releasing ... why jis "sensei" don't kill him in instant and take this book it's another "secret" pff it's as bad as 1st seson ...
Nyanko-sensei finds it fun to watch him be a stupid human. Since their lifespan is so much longer than a human's, he has the the time to watch Natsume flail around and try and be noble, and then take the book and do whatever he wants when Natsume dies. He's in no hurry, so why spoil the fun? :)
Jan 8, 2009 2:16 PM

May 2007
and here i thought i could get some awesome spoilers. ;A;
Jan 8, 2009 3:10 PM

Oct 2007
This is probably the series I was looking forward to the most this winter.

Opening and ending are lovely. And the animation did look better. Good episode, I'm so happy this series is back XD
Jan 8, 2009 4:15 PM

Nov 2007
Just finished the first season not to long ago, glad I caught up to the 2nd season so fast.
Great op and ending, very pleasant.
Too bad they didnt start the series right where it ended in the first when Natori was going into that meeting of some sort. Looks fishy.
Great episode overall, looking forward to this series again, going to be a blast.
Jan 8, 2009 6:56 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
okaerinasai, Natsume-kun! Nyanko-sensei!
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 9, 2009 8:38 AM

Jun 2007
Indeed this was a great start for Natsume 2nd.
Hopefully it will stay on this level and we might get a show with two constantly good seasons.
But better not expect to much, though it's tempting to do so after this episode.

I'd have liked it though if the black cat stayed a bit longer, it looked like fun.
Anyways looking forward to next episode.
Jan 10, 2009 12:20 AM

Jan 2008
A VERY GOOD START FOR ZOKU NATSUME YUUJINCHOU. Can't wait for the succeeding episodes. ^^
Jan 10, 2009 2:36 AM

Jun 2008
I'm glad that natsume and nyanko sensei are back!!

Firstly, I noticed the animation has changed a bit, it has improved, meaning more attention was given to this series.

Love the starting but I find it weird that the youkai has angel wings (since I believe angel wings are more of the western thing). Makes me wonder which youkai knew the Master's name too.

Overall, love it!!!
Jan 10, 2009 11:27 AM

Apr 2007
oh god, I missed nyanko-sensei, he's so funny <3
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jan 10, 2009 11:29 AM

Aug 2008
Very good first episode. I love the fat lucky cats! :3
I have 1 at my house o_o
But I'm gunna continue watching this series since it was so good (^_^)
Jan 10, 2009 11:33 AM

May 2008
It was so good to see Natsume and Nyanko-sensei again
Very good first episode. Hopefully, it'll go on like this.
Jan 10, 2009 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
More Natsume woo! Fantastic episode, great animation quality. What can I say about the ED? Simply beautiful.
Jan 10, 2009 7:06 PM

Oct 2008
I should have not overlooked the first season, it is actually one of the better animes out there. The animation style is very similar to Persona: Trinity Soul, while the story is sort of like a seinen version of Kekkaishi. Originally, I thought this would be a comedy on ayakashi, especially that one of the main characters is a talking cat, but that seems to be a mistake..

Jan 11, 2009 7:12 AM

Jun 2008
finally i found the time to watch the first ep of the second seaon. pretty good episode. the new season gives the same feeling as the first one so far
i dont quite like the opening, but 'ill get used to it and the ending is great. the animation improved as well

looking forward to the next episode :>
Jan 11, 2009 1:32 PM
Aug 2008
Yay it's back! I'm looking forward for the rest of the season :D
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Mar 23, 2009

105 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 16, 2009

101 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

noteDhero - Mar 9, 2009

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 30, 2009

179 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 12, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aznixiboy - Mar 20, 2009

56 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 8, 2:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.