Forum Settings
Forums

People who make electronic music aren't musicians.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

Jun 15, 2013 12:50 AM
So my trash can is an instrument? My computer chair makes sounds, and could be used in a song, so that too, is a musical instrument? What about my toilet?

Yeah, they can be. Music/soundscapes produced with non-musical objects are called musique concrete. Welcome to the basics of the 20th century I guess.

A lot of major musical innovations came from fuckin' with something non-musical (experimenting with feedback and distortion, etc). If The Kinks didn't "non-musically" tamper with their amps for a gritty guitar tone we wouldn't have a good chunk of modern rock music (including punk, heavy metal and so forth). Don't get me started on all the "real, instrument-playing musicians" who pioneered sampling. Including that band with... uh, what's his name? Something Lenin? John Lenin? And Paul McCarthy?
Modified by Cbubbles, Jun 15, 2013 1:17 AM

Jun 15, 2013 5:10 AM

And to follow on from that, incidentally, I have used my toilet flush in numerous compositions before.

Jun 15, 2013 3:07 PM

Man this is still going on. Also I'm pretty sure most EDM artists prefer to call themselves Producers, DJs if they want.

Jun 15, 2013 4:15 PM

of course they can be. ex: thom yorke

Jun 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Captain-Hawkeye said:
Chakaara said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:
People who use their computers to make electronic "music" aren't musicians.

Musicians play real musical instruments, not computers.

Define "instruments".

Computers aren't instruments.
1. A means by which something is done; an agency.
2. One used by another to accomplish a purpose; a dupe.
3. An implement used to facilitate work. See Synonyms at tool.
4. A device for recording, measuring, or controlling, especially such a device functioning as part of a control system.
5. Music A device for playing or producing music: a keyboard instrument.
6. A legal document, such as a deed, will, mortgage, or insurance policy.

Computer fits the bill.

Cbubbles said:
So my trash can is an instrument? My computer chair makes sounds, and could be used in a song, so that too, is a musical instrument? What about my toilet?

I recall a movie that uses just about anything as instruments such as pipes, trash cans, pans etc.
Modified by Schwarzitgiest, Jun 15, 2013 4:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 15, 2013 5:11 PM
>Hitting some pads to create a certain rythm does not require any feeling of rythm
>A MIDI keyboard is now instrument
Oh and:

You'll probably never see me in this thread again.
( . )

Jun 15, 2013 6:05 PM

mizu2405 said:
>Hitting some pads to create a certain rythm does not require any feeling of rythm
>A MIDI keyboard is now instrument
Oh and:

You'll probably never see me in this thread again.

GG thread is over rofl
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site

Jun 15, 2013 6:10 PM

100 bucks on the fact that OP can't make music for shit!
IntelligentPerson said:
You can block their mac address
OtherPerson said:
Mac? But I'm on Windows.

Jun 15, 2013 6:47 PM

RandomPerson3 said:
100 bucks on the fact that OP can't make music for shit!

They never do because a professional musician even one that uses ''real'' instruments would be laughing at this guy so hard right now.

Jun 19, 2013 4:46 AM

Electronic music made by people aren't musicians? how dare you diss my love for techno, trance, and Nightcore!!!!! >.<

Jun 19, 2013 2:57 PM

Electronic music didnt come to destroy music, it was the retards who used it the wrong way. Believe me i almost only listen to instrumental music, and one of my favourite composers is Sawano Hiroyuki, who actualy uses electronic technics in his composition.
Nikolas Erdmann

Jun 19, 2013 8:48 PM

who cared its his opinion
RRRRRRRRRR

Jun 19, 2013 9:20 PM

This almost reminds of how some people thought Rock "wasn't music" when it first became popular and how some older people now days don't think Rap/hip hop is music. What I like about current music, at least in theory, is how there are so many different genres and ways to express yourself through music. I think this is just another avenue for artistic expression.
Modified by Ston3_FreeN7, Jun 19, 2013 9:25 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jun 20, 2013 5:10 AM
insan3soldiern said:
This almost reminds of how some people thought Rock "wasn't music" when it first became popular and how some older people now days don't think Rap/hip hop is music. What I like about current music, at least in theory, is how there are so many different genres and ways to express yourself through music. I think this is just another avenue for artistic expression.

I wouldn't consider rap music, either. You apply a simple drum beat for timing and talk. Proof: lil wayne and nicki minaj
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"

Jun 20, 2013 5:22 AM

The retardness of the first post is high in here.

I guess OP has a knowledge in music close to 0 to say something like that. And I'm not even a huge fan of electronic music - I'm more a fan of progressive.

Just a lil bit more of humility, OP, wouldn't hurt you.
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!

Jun 20, 2013 6:13 AM

He listens to mental, of course he's oblivious to anything music related.

Jun 20, 2013 6:16 AM

I think you meant *metal, and don't despise musical genres just like that. Metal music has its awesome things and its rubbish as well, same as all other musical genres...

Which is something OP ins't quite able to understand.
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!

Jun 20, 2013 6:56 AM

Well going by that logic electronic guitars and synthesizer's aren't musical instrument's either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 20, 2013 6:59 AM

Wow, this thread.

I shall live a hundred lives in a thousand worlds

Jun 20, 2013 6:59 AM

Captain-Hawkeye said:
I wouldn't consider rap music, either. You apply a simple drum beat for timing and talk. Proof: lil wayne and nicki minaj

Out of curiosity how much does it piss you off that some people refer to this as music:

Jun 20, 2013 7:16 AM

mascarpone said:
Well going by that logic electronic guitars and synthesizer's aren't musical instrument's either.

Going by that logic not even music is music.

Jun 20, 2013 7:27 AM

Propu said:

LOL, talk about getting mind blown.

Jun 20, 2013 7:30 AM

Propu said:
mascarpone said:

In an episode of Suite Precure, a character implies that sad music is somehow not real music. Thoughts?

Jun 20, 2013 8:02 AM

SaberRitsu said:
Propu said:
mascarpone said:

In an episode of Suite Precure, a character implies that sad music is somehow not real music. Thoughts?

I can't express my opinion if I don't know why that character said that :P

Jun 20, 2013 8:24 AM
Secondviennese said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:

Out of curiosity how much does it piss you off that some people refer to this as music:

It doesn't 'piss me off' but if that's music, then chainsaws are musical instruments.

But lets not kid ourselves, it's not.

Jun 20, 2013 8:26 AM

Not chainsaws, but almost there.

Jun 20, 2013 8:54 AM

Captain-Hawkeye said:

It doesn't 'piss me off' but if that's music, then chainsaws are musical instruments.

But lets not kid ourselves, it's not.

It's probably already been done, Stockhausen used Helicopters in one of his works.
Point is the definitions of music you're fighting over in popular music don't even compare to how far the definition is stretched in art music, Rap music is very tame and follows a very narrow defintion of music compared to things that have spawned from aleatoric music and if you ever decide to study music your professors will expect you take them just as seriously as they do, like it or not.

Jun 20, 2013 9:05 AM

If it's not music then what is it?

Jun 20, 2013 9:13 AM

Captain-Hawkeye said:
insan3soldiern said:

Please stop trying to be hipster you look like you're trying to point out something to sound intelligent yet you just come off as someone really ignorant.

''mu·sic
Noun
'' vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.''

''Rhythm
the pattern of regular or irregular pulses caused in music by the occurrence of strong and weak melodic and harmonic beats.''

The dictionary doesn't care about your opinion.
Modified by biitchstick, Jun 20, 2013 9:33 AM

Jun 20, 2013 11:00 AM
biitchstick said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:
insan3soldiern said:

Please stop trying to be hipster you look like you're trying to point out something to sound intelligent yet you just come off as someone really ignorant.

''mu·sic
Noun
'' vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.''

''Rhythm
the pattern of regular or irregular pulses caused in music by the occurrence of strong and weak melodic and harmonic beats.''

The dictionary doesn't care about your opinion.

Wheezing from having an asthma attack is now music.

See how ridiculous it is trying to justify rap or dubstep as music when it can be easily replace with event he more retarded noises?

Jun 20, 2013 11:10 AM

Captain-Hawkeye said:

You're referencing lil wayne and nicki minaj as rap music? Please, tell me more about your extensive musical knowledge. Rap was originally a political forum, and their are still legitimate rappers who use it as such (Immortal Technique, K-Rino, Diabolic etc.) Don't ever call materialistic, mainstream "hip-hop" rap. Ever again.

Listen to this and tell me he is not a musician. These is some of the most moving shit I have ever heard

Jun 20, 2013 11:13 AM

Cap'n Hawkeye go home, you're drunk.

Jun 20, 2013 11:33 AM

If they aren't musicians, then are you implying that what they produce shouldn't be called music?
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing

Jun 20, 2013 11:44 AM

Captain-Hawkeye said:

Wheezing from having an asthma attack is now music.

See how ridiculous it is trying to justify rap or dubstep as music when it can be easily replace with event he more retarded noises?

God you're so dumb, just because something is BAD e.g Lil wayne does not make it NOT music, go take your 85 iq somewhere else.

Jun 20, 2013 12:10 PM

MitchD said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:

You're referencing lil wayne and nicki minaj as rap music? Please, tell me more about your extensive musical knowledge. Rap was originally a political forum, and their are still legitimate rappers who use it as such (Immortal Technique, K-Rino, Diabolic etc.) Don't ever call materialistic, mainstream "hip-hop" rap. Ever again.

Listen to this and tell me he is not a musician. These is some of the most moving shit I have ever heard

That song is dope but whether its materialistic or political, mainstream or underground/indie its all hip-hop. Early rappers use to talk about partying and break dancing as well as social issues, Hip-hop is an art-form not the news.

Jun 20, 2013 1:23 PM

starting to wonder what the hell OP listens to (which is sad, though i only thought about it after clicking this thread)

i mean seriously you must have some major issues about the beautiful noise everyone else calls music. or you are very special and brilliant. in your own mind.

but I'd place bets you are simply close-minded.

Jun 20, 2013 1:25 PM

Does somebody need Mentats?

Jun 20, 2013 2:11 PM

daintybiscuit said:

but I'd place bets you are simply close-minded.

I've got 10 bitcoins on guitarist.

Jun 20, 2013 2:17 PM
MitchD said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:

No, he's not. He's using a popular classical song and a simple bass/snare beat (most likely computer generated) and talking. If he wrote the lyrics down before making this, then he's more of a writer than anything. Then when he 'raps" it, which is just a form of talking.

Jun 20, 2013 3:15 PM

Lol @ you guys getting trolled by this guy for 8 pages.

Smh.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.

Jun 20, 2013 4:42 PM

Bloodcalibur said:
Lol @ you guys getting trolled by this guy for 8 pages.

Smh.

i'm just waiting to hear if theres some cohesive response /popcorn
being an electronic music freak for roughly 17 years, this entertains me!

Jun 20, 2013 5:22 PM

Captain-Hawkeye said:
MitchD said:
Captain-Hawkeye said:

No, he's not. He's using a popular classical song and a simple bass/snare beat (most likely computer generated) and talking. If he wrote the lyrics down before making this, then he's more of a writer than anything. Then when he 'raps" it, which is just a form of talking.

That's a song by Breaking Benjamin y0
'If people refuse to accept you, then I'll just accept you even more.'

Jun 20, 2014 6:08 AM
spyrocoot said:
FacelessVixen said:

OP voted for Mozart.

Dubstep is the worst sub-genre of electronica, and Skrillex is just awful.

Well actually, Skrillex's kind of dubstep isn't the original dubstep. It's more aggressive, ya know, people yelling in the song and some awful noises mixed together... The original dubstep is way more calm, and less "BLAMBLAMBUMBUMWUBWUBWUBWUB" thingy. It's more enjoyable in my opinion. Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOFg3UVfl8k
Modified by Restie, Jun 20, 2014 6:12 AM

Jun 22, 2014 1:38 AM

Maybe "instrumentalist" is the term you're looking for, OP (assuming you're not a troll, which, based on your avatar you're 100% guaranteed to be). I don't consider someone who makes electronic music on a computer to be an instrumentalist. As for "musician"... maybe a vague term at this point, but I don't see why not. After all, you called it "electronic music". They have to be something music-related, and "composer" doesn't fit.

Jun 22, 2014 8:32 AM
Altairius said:
Maybe "instrumentalist" is the term you're looking for, OP (assuming you're not a troll, which, based on your avatar you're 100% guaranteed to be). I don't consider someone who makes electronic music on a computer to be an instrumentalist. As for "musician"... maybe a vague term at this point, but I don't see why not. After all, you called it "electronic music". They have to be something music-related, and "composer" doesn't fit.

>"Maybe "instrumentalist" is the term you're looking for, OP"
That would imply they play an instrument, which they don't.

>"(assuming you're not a troll, which, based on your avatar you're 100% guaranteed to be)"
Google "Little House on the Prairie"

>" I don't consider someone who makes electronic music on a computer to be an instrumentalist."
You'd be correct, see first reply.

>" As for "musician"... maybe a vague term at this point, but I don't see why not. After all, you called it "electronic music". They have to be something music-related, and "composer" doesn't fit."
I think the term "poser" best fits these people.

Jun 22, 2014 7:11 PM

I mean instrumentalist is the term you might want to use for what electronic musicians aren't, whereas "musician" is looser, perhaps best used to describe any person who creates music (and as you admit in the title, electronic is music).

And that guy has a troll face, I don't care what he's from.

Jun 22, 2014 9:18 PM

i make edm but i also play guitar and piano and implement it into my music from time to time. so therefor i am a muscian based on the fact that i play instruments but i am also a producer because i make beats on my computer. idk, i think it shouldnt matter its all music.

Jul 29, 2017 10:36 AM
Pre-recorded sounds from instruments is still music, I'll give all u ignorant mindless listeners of 'music' that, but computer generated sounds are not. I don't agree with these 'purist' in the sense that electronics cant be used, but I agree that the computer is not an instrument, but I feel it is used to aid musicians to make music easier, by means of pre-recording, etc.

Also, in the terms of electronic instruments, such as keyboard, electric guitar, electric drums, this kinda also comes from my previous statement, that the electronics can modify the instrument's sound, or like the use of pedals, but it cannot solely be produced by the electronic component alone.

Also, note that since the start musical instruments also referred to electric guitars, so they are by definition a musical instrument

Another thing, the definition of music is vocal or instrumental, so computers are not counted

TL,DR: Electronics are ok for music, but instruments are needed

Jul 31, 2017 10:26 PM

aphex twin would take you any day to prove you how incredible electronic music composition can be.

Aug 3, 2017 10:23 PM

unless you're performing.
no.
but they're still musicians if they perform.
so.
are they musicians?
{Signature}

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »