Forum Settings
Forums

Would your favorite anime feel more special if they were really unpopular?

New
Jun 5, 2013 10:36 PM

Nov 2012
I understand that this is not something that most people are willing to admit, but I DO feel this way. Some people WANT their favorites to be viewed by many, while others would rather a small group be part of their anime. I don't think that makes you an elitist, but I do admit that it is a bit selfish. This can also be applied to anime fans in general I believe. Haven't you ever felt pretty good that you're able to enjoy so many amazing shows that most people around you would never even know about?

However,
There are both good and bad aspects to each level of popularity. I actually really like how popular Attack on Titan is atm, it really is awesome to have such a large group of people discussing with. It can make the anime even more interesting in some cases.
Harmonium94Jun 5, 2013 10:45 PM
Jun 5, 2013 10:37 PM

Jan 2013
Oh god. I feel for those who read Shingeki No Kyojin before the anime.
Jun 5, 2013 10:38 PM

Apr 2013
Yes, seeing other people bitching about it is irritating.
Jun 5, 2013 10:41 PM
Sep 2007
It feels nice to be a special snowflake.
Jun 5, 2013 10:41 PM

Nov 2010
Well when it gets more popular, the amount of haters rise. But I like knowing and talking to a lot of people that like anime that I like. I was actually pretty happy when I learned that my favorite anime is pretty popular in Japan.
And being more popular could mean more episodes, so I say bring on the popularity.
Jun 5, 2013 10:42 PM
Aug 2012
Excelsior said:
Jun 5, 2013 10:44 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Well when it gets more popular, the amount of haters rise. But I like knowing and meeting a lot of people that like anime that I like. I was actually pretty happy when I learned that my favorite anime is pretty popular in Japan.
And being more popular could mean more episodes, so I say bring on the popularity.

Good point. There are both good and bad aspects to each level of popularity. I actually really like how popular Attack on Titan is atm, it really is awesome to have such a large group of people discussing with. It can make the anime even more interesting in some cases.
Jun 5, 2013 10:45 PM

Aug 2009
Can't really say that I've watched something that most people haven't seen, so I don't have much of an opinion about that specifically. But, I do like enjoying something that most people seem to dislike.

Jun 5, 2013 10:46 PM

Sep 2012
More popularity means more profit, which means more episodes. Sucks to the haters and newbs that only value bandwagon appeal, I'd just be happy to see my favorites continue (that is, if my favorite's weren't mostly already tidely wrapped up).
Jun 5, 2013 10:48 PM

Sep 2012
I kind of feel like if you don't want something to gain popularity or success, you aren't a real fan of it. You're just a fan of that "exclusive" feeling it gives you.
Jun 5, 2013 10:49 PM

Oct 2012
I would feel sad if I couldn't talk about Evangelion with anyone.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 5, 2013 10:51 PM

Jan 2011
i can hardly talk to anyone about my fav anime :/ an if it was popular id get a 3rd season... been waiting for more than a year an still no good news
Jun 6, 2013 12:32 AM
Mar 2013
I like this anime called Naruto, you probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Jun 6, 2013 12:43 AM

Sep 2012
Cbubbles said:
I like this anime called Naruto, you probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
That's the one with the pirates and stretchy guy, right?
Jun 6, 2013 12:46 AM

Dec 2011
If your favourite anime wasn't suitably popular you wouldn't feel special, you'd feel infuriated or depressed. It usually means something went badly wrong with the marketing of the anime, and usually means that more things you like won't get made due to audience not flocking to it fast enough (or at all). Awesome obscure super-niche anime are great but if they don't sell, the less chances studios will want to invest in new projects of its ilk. Actually wanting to undermine the popularity of something you care about is ass-backwards.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Jun 6, 2013 12:48 AM

Jun 2011
But most of my favorite anime already is unpopular.
Jun 6, 2013 12:58 AM

Dec 2011
Smirking said:

Are you responsible for that fact though? Did you run into markets and burn every copy in an anime-pyre to hurt sales? If so you must be fun at parties.
Jun 6, 2013 1:01 AM

Jun 2011
Eckilsax said:
Smirking said:

Are you responsible for that fact though? Did you run into markets and burn every copy in an anime-pyre to hurt sales? If so you must be fun at parties.

I actually sent death threats to consumers. I guess word got around.
Jun 6, 2013 1:03 AM

Mar 2013
Well, I guess you could say my favourite anime is pretty obscure(Les misérables: Shoujo Cosette). Which I think is a shame, I'd like it if I could talk about it with people. But I guess the original book is pretty well known, so I'm pretty well of in that regard. And as for my other favourites, there are plenty people to talk about it with.

So I'd say, I'd rather want them to be popular.
Jun 6, 2013 1:04 AM

Sep 2012
It feels good when you think you have discovered a hidden gem by youself, I guess.
Jun 6, 2013 1:12 AM

May 2013
If something is your favorite you generally want it to succeed and continue. Like any business anime makers ability to produce something is all based on money, if they don't get money from something they won't continue it if it has no chance in the future. If it doesn't make money they'll stop making it and your favorite anime dies. Companies don't care that it makes you a special snowflake. I want my favorite animes to succeed so they continue to be produced.
Jun 6, 2013 1:16 AM

Oct 2010
I don't feel more special for that, if anything it is the opposite and I don't care. The Internet is wide enough to find fans of anything anywhere.

Red_Keys said:
Cbubbles said:
That's the one with the pirates and stretchy guy, right?

No, that's Dragon Ball.
Jun 6, 2013 1:16 AM

Dec 2011
Exactly. The more popular what you like is, the more the industry will bow and cater to your every whim. Which is why I wish I could be a hardcore moe fan and be in eternal paradise.
Jun 6, 2013 12:35 PM

Dec 2011
No not really.
Jun 6, 2013 12:37 PM

May 2013
No, though I do feel like a hipster for liking Devil Survivor 2 so much.
Jun 6, 2013 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Nah, I don't really care.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 6, 2013 12:46 PM

Jun 2009
I wish Utena had more popularity here on MAL, it's a very fun series to discuss. But, I guess it's very nature can be kind of off putting.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 6, 2013 12:50 PM

Oct 2012
Popularity doesn't affect the way I see the series.
Jun 6, 2013 1:02 PM

Apr 2013
Nope,my favorite anime is already special for me and you cant go beyond like "super special" or "more" special.I like Bleach from episode 1 to episode 366 and I'm still eager for more.I want some more of many series but not as much as Bleach.Mirai Nikki has no continuation,the story is done,too bad.Jigoku Shoujo is pretty much done but there is place for more,like finding someone able to crush the spider and release Ai,for instance.
Or in Another,there is place for more.Like finding the source of that mistery.
Black Lagoon has the potential to become as long as Fairy Tail atleast.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 6, 2013 1:02 PM

Jan 2012
i don't care,most of my favorites aren't that popular,altough i wish they were so that thy'd get other seasons
Jun 6, 2013 1:20 PM

Jun 2012
No, that would make me a hipster....I don't want to be a hipster.
Jun 6, 2013 1:23 PM

Apr 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
No, that would make me a hipster....I don't want to be a hipster.

You're a hipster right now.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 6, 2013 1:27 PM

Jan 2013
It's kind of a balance; on one hand I get to talk to more people about my favorite anime, but on the other it's a little sad when people start calling your favorite anime "overrated" just because it's popular. As if the popularity = quality. But I think I'd prefer my favorite anime series be well-known but not mainstream, if that makes sense. Big enough to talk to a lot of people about it, but small enough that it doesn't attract haters.
Though it feels good finding a hidden gem and getting your friends into it, that's for sure.
Jun 6, 2013 1:36 PM

Apr 2011
It kind of annoys me how much the popularity of an anime/manga seems to effect how people view/enjoy it. There's a lot of MAL members who review anime/manga and are clearly effected by other peoples positive/negative opinions, and don't just judge them solely on their enjoyment.

I think a lot of it is because the community of anime/manga fans online is very tight knit. So a lot of people like to agree with the communitys general assessment, while others like to try and stick out and be different by disagreeing.

For me, it doesn't matter, other peoples opinions on any type of entertainment or art don't effect my enjoyment/opinion. There's stuff that is really popular that I really like, and stuff that is not well known/unpopular that I do like and vice versa.
Jun 6, 2013 2:11 PM

Apr 2013
No but I would like Shingeki no Kyojin more if they hadn't created the anime - or if the anime didn't get so overhyped, I fear the day it turns to get a Naruto/OP/Bleach retarded fandom.
Jun 6, 2013 2:50 PM

Jun 2011
qb_cakes said:
No but I would like Shingeki no Kyojin more if they hadn't created the anime - or if the anime didn't get so overhyped, I fear the day it turns to get a Naruto/OP/Bleach retarded fandom.

It already has.
Jun 6, 2013 2:58 PM

Feb 2010
TonyTin said:
Oh god. I feel for those who read Shingeki No Kyojin before the anime.

Haven't heard of anybody talked about it before the anime was even announced. And now it's everywhere.

Romario3210 said:
LOGH is very unpopular, at least outside of MAL :/

Seems like it's getting more popular. Now I'm actually meeting quite a descent amount of people irl that have watched it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2013 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
You mean being in the minority? It all depends on the anime really, the reason why popular anime are popular is because they're good, so chances are I'll find them more enjoyable than maybe less known ones. That doesn't mean an unpopular anime can't be in my favorites.
Jun 6, 2013 3:09 PM

Apr 2013
IntervisioN said:
You mean being in the minority? It all depends on the anime really, the reason why popular anime are popular is because they're good, so chances are I'll find them more enjoyable than maybe less known ones. That doesn't mean an unpopular anime can't be in my favorites.

Basically what you're saying is that Justin Bieber is popular because he(she) is good,not because of haters that represents 90% of the publicity.
Jun 6, 2013 3:09 PM
Oct 2012
My favorite anime is kind of popular, but you don't see people ever talk about it.
Jun 6, 2013 3:13 PM

Jan 2013
No I want my favorites to be a popular one of the main reasons for it is that it is the only way of my favorite getting another season. But I have to admit that there is also a bad side to this like the more popular anime is the more haters it has. But still it is better for animes you like to be popular.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jun 6, 2013 4:43 PM

Mar 2013
Generally I always hope for my favourite anime to become more popular. Anime isn't really mainstream anywhere besides maybe Japan and a few other Asian countries, so it's very rare for anime to become so popular that the fandom starts to get really irritating. I've only ever seen this happen with maybe the fandoms for the big three, Pokemon and FMA - the shows that really make it big in the west. With every other anime, it's usually pretty easy for me to just ignore the parts of the fandom that cause drama, and enjoy the contributions of the majority of the fandom who have plenty of good things to offer. I really enjoy reading fan fiction, watching AMVs, looking at fanart - I'm a pretty active consumer of fan-made works, and the bigger the fandom the more of this stuff there tends to be. Plus, the more popular the anime the greater likelihood of more seasons, and we could always use that given the rarity of anime that run long enough to adapt more than a small section of its manga. So I actively try to encourage the popularity of all the anime I enjoy.
ImanzaJun 6, 2013 4:46 PM
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 6, 2013 5:17 PM

Jul 2012
Excelsior said:

But every snow flake is different so how could one special snow flake be any different then the other snow flakes.

Cbubbles said:

Yeah..its so un popular you cant even find merchandise from it

Smirking said:

I would agree, but IF you count every person in the entire world, then its popular.

Imanza said:
fandoms for the big three, Pokemon

IF pokemon wasn't main stream, then what would take its place?
Jun 6, 2013 5:20 PM

Mar 2013
I don't care. I watch and favorite Anime based on my own decision.
Jun 6, 2013 7:06 PM
Feb 2012
You mean, if a good anime were to become under-appreciated? ... probably.
Jun 6, 2013 9:52 PM
Sep 2009
insan3soldiern said:
I wish Utena had more popularity here on MAL, it's a very fun series to discuss. But, I guess it's very nature can be kind of off putting.

I've had some really good discussions about Utena on this site, but I agree. I wish it was more popular.

The Tatami Galaxy is loved by a good number of people, but it still deserves to be more popular.

Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments Lain are both so well known that they are practically a rite of passage for anime fans. Though, I'm ashamed to admit that Serial Experiments Lain being such an alienating show, makes me feel a little special for having it in my favorites...
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jun 6, 2013 10:29 PM

Oct 2012
I kind of like that my favorites aren't the most popular series seeing how the most popular anime attract horrid fanbases.

Jun 6, 2013 10:31 PM

Jan 2010
Honestly yeah, they'd definitely feel more special and it would drive away -those- types of fans, but I wouldn't really want that to happen. It would completely kill the chances for sequels and any chance I'd get to find someone else to talk about them with.
Jun 6, 2013 11:03 PM

Dec 2012
BloodyNightsky said:
IntervisioN said:

Basically what you're saying is that Justin Bieber is popular because he(she) is good,not because of haters that represents 90% of the publicity.

In terms of Justin Bieber or the music industry today in general, the same wouldn't apply.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

74 by Otakupervert890 »»
25 seconds ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 30 minutes ago

3 by Toooooooooohru »»
33 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 10 hours ago

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
1 minute ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

64 by Blueberry173 »»
2 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

7 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.