Forum Settings
Forums
Jun 5, 2013 4:57 PM

http://youtu.be/bvYxaNVsTWQ?t=4m18s

You might have seen this already, since it is from last year, but it's just really cool. I know that J.C. Staff doesn't have a reputation for gorgeous anime, but this makes me appreciate them and the process a lot more. I wonder what it'd look like at KyoAni or P.A. Works.

Jun 5, 2013 5:30 PM

Interesting, so they do the original dub after the animation, just like the English reversions do.

lol @ the guy who ran away when he saw the camera.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

Jun 5, 2013 5:32 PM

I think Shana was pretty damn good-looking.

J.C. has given me Azumanga, Excel and many other fun shows, so I'm fine with their style, no matter what methods they use.

Jun 5, 2013 5:33 PM
otaking
gamer2710 said:
Interesting, so they do the original dub after the animation, just like the English reversions do.

no one reason Jc Staff anime suck
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Jun 5, 2013 5:33 PM

Interesting video...I don't know what anything else to say....
The forums are dark, and full of ego.

Jun 5, 2013 5:35 PM

JC staff are the gods of anime.

Jun 5, 2013 5:41 PM

Jun 5, 2013 5:57 PM

shirayuki75 said:
http://youtu.be/bvYxaNVsTWQ?t=4m18s

You might have seen this already, since it is from last year, but it's just really cool. I know that J.C. Staff doesn't have a reputation for gorgeous anime, but this makes me appreciate them and the process a lot more. I wonder what it'd look like at KyoAni or P.A. Works.

I guess that the process shouldnt be that different between studios, just that KyoAni and P.A. spend more time on animation and backgrounds.

Jun 5, 2013 6:07 PM

DateYutaka said:
gamer2710 said:

no one reason Jc Staff anime suck

What? I don't think that has to do with anime quality. I also find that interesting as well.

Jun 5, 2013 6:28 PM

Forgetfulness said:
Hm, pretty interesting. I was under the impression that they used computers to make anime more than hand-drawing :T

P.S. I like how the guy's responses are usually ooh, ahh, mmm or haihaihai

When they were making Excel Saga, they did an episode that subtly poked fun at digital artists by focusing on the work and toil of cel-based animation. This was done around the time when digital animation was really starting to take off.

Jun 5, 2013 6:31 PM
Sanji Fangirl

Forgetfulness said:

Don't forget sugoii desu ne

Jun 5, 2013 6:34 PM

Solvite said:
J.C. Staff = Terrible.

From their art, to their animation, to their directors.

Given that you rated Shana S1 and S2 an 8, I'm assuming this is sarcasm or that you don't know what you're talking about.

And Toradora too, apparently.
Modified by NTAD, Jun 5, 2013 6:41 PM

Jun 5, 2013 6:38 PM

Ntad said:
Solvite said:
J.C. Staff = Terrible.

From their art, to their animation, to their directors.

Given that you rated Shana S1 and S2 both an 8, I'm assuming this is sarcasm or that you don't know what you're talking about.
8 = terrible.
9 = Okay.
10 = I might watch again.

Okay not really. Shakugan no Shana Seasons 1 and 2 were superior to most anything of their time. At least that's what I believe.

Jun 5, 2013 6:39 PM
shirayuki75 said:
I wonder what it'd look like at KyoAni or P.A. Works.

It shouldn't look too different, you'll probably find KyoAni doing more things in-house and for P.A. Works they won't be making their own backgrounds since they typically get them from Studio Easter. But that J.C. Staff video does show the modern anime production process.

Jun 5, 2013 6:49 PM
Great, a featurette on an Japanese Animation company that made the... anime that does not exist.
Random user: Wait, you mean "Tsukihi-
*Kills random person*
Now where were we?

Jun 5, 2013 7:02 PM

filmftw1 said:
Great, a featurette on an Japanese Animation company that made the... anime that does not exist.
*Kills random person*
Now where were we?
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad for an anime released almost ten years ago.

Jun 5, 2013 7:11 PM

You know, another recent one they did that wasn't too bad was Ano Natsu. That show had a lot of feels.

Jun 5, 2013 7:17 PM
gamer2710 said:
filmftw1 said:
*Kills random person*
Now where were we?
Oh come on, it wasn't that bad for an anime released almost ten years ago.

What wasnt that bad?
Worships Asparagus.

Jun 5, 2013 7:17 PM

I like J.C. a lot more now that it's almost devoid of Rie voiced tsunderes.

Jun 5, 2013 7:24 PM

Hoppy said:
I'm always curious about this. Are they annoying because they're voiced by Kugimiya, or are they just always annoying?

Because when I watched The Familiar of Zero in English, for example, Cristina Vee didn't come close to the level of annoyance that Kugimiya did. That's actually what made the first season bearable for me.

Jun 5, 2013 7:47 PM

J.C. Staff gets a lot of undeserved hate from the fans, but I tend to like a lot of their anime, this was definitely an interesting video.

Thanks OP for sharing this.

Jun 5, 2013 7:48 PM
Pfft, JC Staff haters are just the same Toei worshipping loliphobes you can running around here promoting their Bible to us patient watchers who don't give a flying fuck about JC Staff. For one, I actually love their art.

Jun 5, 2013 7:50 PM

Hoppy said:

I think Rie had a big part in making many of their anime so popular IMO.

Hate her or love her, she is very good at what she does.

Jun 5, 2013 7:55 PM

This video does shows the Japanese modern animation process in general.

Characters were entirely computer drawn and generated. At 16:30 even the cars and buildings were 3D and "toon-shaded". XD

However, I'm surprised at 17:30 that some of the background arts were hand-drawn and painted.
Just like the studio owner said. It's still rather difficult to simulated those "water-colored" style by using computers, so you might as well using traditional methods for this area. But they said they'll be switching this to digital as soon as they have more advanced software.

Jun 5, 2013 8:02 PM
Uh, characters are still drawn by hand. They are just scanned to the computer later for inking and coloring.

Jun 5, 2013 8:02 PM

gamer2710 said:
Hoppy said:
I'm always curious about this. Are they annoying because they're voiced by Kugimiya, or are they just always annoying?

Because when I watched The Familiar of Zero in English, for example, Cristina Vee didn't come close to the level of annoyance that Kugimiya did. That's actually what made the first season bearable for me.

A combination of both but it's more Rie than anything, it's a shame since she does have roles that are good and not annoying.

Jun 5, 2013 8:43 PM

LeftWingGuerilla said:
Uh, characters are still drawn by hand. They are just scanned to the computer later for inking and coloring.

Not really.

Just like what the video shows. Only the Gengas (Key frames) were sketched because they are hearts of the animation. And used computer assisted inbetweens for vectorising and smooth out the whole animation.

Still. The hand-painted water-coloured backgrunds are quite impressive.

Jun 5, 2013 10:09 PM

gamer2710 said:
That's true of most anime (JC Staff or otherwise), aside from some big-budget movies where they do "pre-lay" recording.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Jun 5, 2013 11:11 PM

Wow, that's very interesting. JC Staff is one of my favorite studios and it's cool to get a behind-the-scenes look at their studio and production process. Tnx for sharing OP
Nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it state that Humpty is an egg.
"See you later, space cowboy." -moot 1/23/2015

Jun 5, 2013 11:21 PM

Not my favorite studio, but I love what they did to Nekojiru Sou. I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar video about Madhouse working on Hunter X Hunter.

Modified by stormgoddess, Jun 5, 2013 11:24 PM

Jun 5, 2013 11:38 PM

Zalis said:
gamer2710 said:
That's true of most anime (JC Staff or otherwise), aside from some big-budget movies where they do "pre-lay" recording.

Aside from Akira. I've never seen any other Japanese animated movies do it.

Give me a list of anime that used pre-recording and lip animations. (Akira seem to be the only one, or I might be wrong)

Jun 5, 2013 11:51 PM

This is really cool, I haven't watched all of it yet as I'm posting this but it's interesting to see that the characters are still hand drawn. For me this takes away from people who use the "older anime is superior because it was hand drawn" argument

Jun 6, 2013 12:22 AM
nekovision said:
LeftWingGuerilla said:

Not really.

Just like what the video shows. Only the Gengas (Key frames) were sketched because they are hearts of the animation. And used computer assisted inbetweens for vectorising and smooth out the whole animation.

Still. The hand-painted water-coloured backgrunds are quite impressive.

I don't see the video showing any steps of the in-betweening process, and I'm very sure automated in-betweens are rare in the industry since the results tend to not always work well. If you look at the animation credits for many shows you'll still find animators being credited for in-between animation.

Jun 6, 2013 12:52 AM

JC Staff is the most bipolar studio I could ever know. I don't know if I should praise them for Azumanga Daioh or hate them for Eiken, damn it.

The video is fine, at least the part I watched; it doesn't say anything really new in relation to other videos/documentaries, though. The boy going "haihaihai" sounded like a One Piece villain laughing.

Jun 6, 2013 1:25 AM

jal90 said:
JC Staff is the most bipolar studio I could ever know. I don't know if I should praise them for Azumanga Daioh or hate them for Eiken, damn it.

Right? Though, I guess it's bound to happen with the amount of anime they've produced over a long period of time.

jal90 said:
he boy going "haihaihai" sounded like a One Piece villain laughing.

Hahaha, I thought the same thing.

Overall, interesting watch. Behind-the-scenes things always interest me.

Jun 6, 2013 2:45 AM
I like many of J.C. Staff's works so I ended up watching the whole thing. It was interesting to say the least.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein

Jun 6, 2013 10:26 AM

wow... here's an opportunity to see how anime is created... what does mal do? bitch and whine about the studio willing to show it -_-

god you guy's must feel realy special sitting behind your computerscreen and hardly even remember what the sun looks like... bitchy whiny kids!

OT:

thanks OP for sharing :D
would like an other one of this but then at shaft haha
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Jun 6, 2013 11:00 AM

i love j c staff they made spiral and other great shows:x

Jun 6, 2013 11:15 AM

AndyRayy said:
Solvite said:
JC Staff are the fine produces of the following amazing anime titles:

Shakugan no Shana Final
Little Busters S1
Zero no Louis bitch slapping people
There.

Fixed that for ya, buddy.

Fixed again. You are welcome.

Jun 7, 2013 12:03 PM

Removed a bunch of posts fishing for replies using hate without any reasons. Carry on.

Jun 29, 2013 7:05 PM

Forgetfulness said:

LOL true

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Jun 30, 2013 2:28 AM

Interesting :>
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Mar 7, 2014 11:35 AM

JC Staff is so underrated . They make great shows like Bakuman and Golden Time . They're a good studio and they do not deserve the hate . Even though I've watched the video before coming here but thanks anyway , OP .

Mar 7, 2014 12:01 PM

I liked it better when Paranoia Agent did this

Mar 7, 2014 1:00 PM

Interesting.... Now is there a video on what its like at Kyoto Animation?

Mar 7, 2014 2:42 PM
We need more recorded tours like this. I want to see the inside of Studio BONES, Sunrise and Production I.G.

Mar 7, 2014 3:25 PM

If I had a penny for every "sugoi desu ne" "mmmmm"

Mar 7, 2014 3:46 PM

J.C. Staff is one of the best. Good stuff.

Also, more people should be praising Azumanga Daioh when talking about JC Staff's best works. One of the best shows of all-time, really.
Modified by Joshua1207, Mar 7, 2014 3:50 PM

Mar 7, 2014 7:40 PM
Looks like a sweat shop honestly. Especially the production area as he walks in.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »