Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that you found difficult to get into, but after you got into were well worth it

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 3, 2013 9:39 PM

Jun 2012
Higurashi. Average animation, confusing storyline, strange format. But over two seasons it has one of the best crafted stories I have ever seen. So much so that I decided to experience it again via the Sound Novels. And some of the arcs are just brilliant when you look back on them. I appreciate the first arc far more now than I did at the time.
Jun 3, 2013 9:46 PM

Apr 2013
Litrydow said:
OfficialGuts said:
Clannad: the first season (especially fuko arc) was boring, then T_T in AS

That was truly horrible. I also had a hard time to continue watching after that crap, but it actually started getting better.
ikr? I watched the beginning of Clannad after some long work shifts that finished around 10 pm and I fell asleep more than twice while watching episode 1-7
Jun 3, 2013 9:50 PM

Nov 2011
Steins;Gate, Gintama, Freezing...
I luv u
Jun 3, 2013 10:02 PM
Mar 2013
OfficialGuts said:
Litrydow said:
OfficialGuts said:
Clannad: the first season (especially fuko arc) was boring, then T_T in AS

That was truly horrible. I also had a hard time to continue watching after that crap, but it actually started getting better.
ikr? I watched the beginning of Clannad after some long work shifts that finished around 10 pm and I fell asleep more than twice while watching episode 1-7

The fuko arc was the only arc to have me shed a tear (until after story). maybe because i wasn't expecting it. Once I knew what i was getting myself into, I guess i was ready for the rest, until after story hit me like a ton of bricks.

I found Clannad was kinda hard, Baccano! was also hard (nobody can say they weren't totally confused while watching it, and it kinda pissed you off at the time). Fate/Zero's first episode was a snooze fest. Like a long DBZ episode. Haruhi Suzumiya for the same reason as Baccano! (just wasnt as worth it). Evangelion was boring as hell at first for me too, and so was Hyoka.

Lastly was Accel World, whose fat ass disproportionate protagonist ae it impossible to watch pass 2 episode. Still havent finished it (saw some of them dubbed though) so IDK if it was worth looking at him for 20+ episodes.

Edit: Everyone said Steins;Gate and I'm wondering why. me and Seins;Gate hit it off from the first episode. People say the first 11 are boring but I LOVED it almost as much as the second half. Never thought it was hard to get in to (and I saw it dubbed).
Jun 4, 2013 12:58 AM

May 2013
Higurahsi. The first episode is a little dull, and then a few eps later you don't know what's going on, but later it becomes great.
Jun 4, 2013 1:03 AM

Feb 2010
Marathon both seasons of Code Geass, so worth it. Had a second marathon on Code Geass doujins afterward.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2013 2:21 AM

Dec 2012
Steins;Gate - I watched the first episode a year ago and thought it was boring beyond imagination and avoided it at all costs. Manned up and picked it up again yesterday, not only did I enjoy episode 1 this time around but I'm completely hooked, I've gone through 15 episodes in 24 hours (which is a huge shock for me, marathoning a specific series isn't my thing).

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Admittingly since I had watched the original series first, the lighthearted atmosphere and fast pacing of the story already covered in the first put me off and I put it on hold for a few months. Manned up yet again and once the story diverged from the original anime's, I was hooked and couldn't watch anything else until it was over.

Uchuu Kyoudai / One Piece - Both had very slow starts that put me off and made me want to start using my drop list. But I'm glad I kept with them because One Piece started to grab my attention around the Arlong Arc and Uchuu Kyoudai had me immersed around episode 10.
Jun 4, 2013 3:00 AM

Apr 2010
Definitley Clannad (After Story). I thought the original show was just your typical cliche fluff, it was mediocre.

After Story started off even worse but once they left school it picked up and got really good.
Jun 4, 2013 3:00 AM
Aug 2012
FMA: Brotherhood.

Thought it'd be just another shounen but i loved the drama.
Jun 4, 2013 3:27 AM

Jan 2013
hyouka (got a 8)
kimi to boku (got a 6)
Both were really slow for the first few episodes but then became more enjoyable later on.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 4, 2013 3:57 AM

Sep 2008
Monster.
Jun 4, 2013 6:55 AM

Sep 2011
Lovely Complex
Steins;Gate
Tengen Lagan

There are more... but too lazy to look at list.
Jun 4, 2013 7:03 AM

Sep 2011
Oh without a doubt gintama, you'd never believe how good that series becomes based off its really crappy start

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 4, 2013 7:07 AM

Mar 2013
FLCL.

Jun 4, 2013 7:21 AM

Apr 2013
Gintama and Hitman for me. The first 20 episodes or so of both anime aren't that good, while the remaining episodes (more than 180 for each) are much better.
I didn't enjoy that much the first half of Durarara, too. But I think it was because I was too confused to really appreciate it.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jun 4, 2013 7:22 AM

Dec 2012
Bokurano, it started off so damn slow it isn't even funny. Though it was worth it.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 4, 2013 7:26 AM

Nov 2010
Higurashi (not because of the gore, at one point i found it a bit boring)

suzuka (the first half was bit to slow and was thinking to drop it, then the romance realy kicked in and was well worth it imo)
Jun 4, 2013 7:30 AM

Aug 2011
Steins;Gate - I heard great things about it, and how the best part came halfway through... so that was my motivation. I recall not being that into it for the first couple of episodes, but it eventually became one of my favorites.
Jun 4, 2013 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
One Piece - Didn't hate it but I didn't truly like it 'til the booger scene in Sanji's Arc. Was 3am and I was on the floor gasping for breath from laughing so hard, became a favorite then.

FMA:B - Had watched the other series first so re-watching the first few episodes was kinda blah.

Baccano! - Confusing at first, didn't really interest me 'til Claire and Ladd. Re-watched it and loved it.

Katanagatari - So much dialogue when I expected something else. Last episode though was awesome, had me liking the series more than I should.

Gintama - As everyone said first few episodes were brutal to watch, wasn't til after that I began to appreciate it.
Jun 4, 2013 8:07 AM

May 2013
One Piece and Clannad were very hard to get into at first, but now they're two of my favourites.
Jun 4, 2013 10:55 AM

Jun 2013
Clannad: First 10 episodes were really boring
Higurasi:At start was very confusing
Seins Gate:Start's slow

After i finished them they were all really awesome animes
Jun 4, 2013 11:05 AM

Jun 2010
Shinsekai Yori
I am still watching it but I am liking it more and more as it goes on
Jun 4, 2013 11:59 AM

Sep 2012
^
It takes some time because it introduces more mysteries and plot lines than solving them at first, but then it all pays off masterfully.
Jun 4, 2013 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
The first few episodes of Sailor Moon while it's just Sailor Moon were kinda hard to get through.

Once they introduced Mercury and Mars it became a lot more enjoyable.
Jun 4, 2013 12:20 PM

Apr 2011
Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Berserk.
Jun 4, 2013 12:41 PM

Nov 2012
Death Note. It was too wordy and it really bored me, but when I gave it a chance again.. my mind was blown from how awesome the anime was.
Jun 4, 2013 4:57 PM

Sep 2012
Hunter x Hunter.
Jun 4, 2013 5:24 PM

Oct 2012
Durarara and Shiki, because of the slow start but it became great when things started to pick up.
Jun 4, 2013 5:26 PM

Nov 2010
Yosuga no Sora. I thought it going to be s*** but it turned out to be my all time favorite. Too bad YnS is dead.
Jun 4, 2013 9:05 PM

Jun 2008
One Piece
Jun 4, 2013 9:07 PM

Aug 2012
Joyce_Steele said:
Yosuga no Sora. I thought it going to be s*** but it turned out to be my all time favorite. Too bad YnS is dead.

Still waiting on the VN translation.
Jun 4, 2013 9:24 PM

Sep 2011
Parasprite said:
Shinsekai Yori
I am still watching it but I am liking it more and more as it goes on
oh it'll do that, and keep doing so till the end. final arc is just incredible

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 4, 2013 9:25 PM
Oct 2012
Lucky Star
Jun 4, 2013 9:37 PM

Mar 2012
Heartcatch Precure comes to mind.

It didn't instantly win me over. A few episodes in it got good. Then a few episodes later it got better. Then better again at the halfway point. Then even better three quarters in. Then absolutely god damn amazing at the end.
Jun 4, 2013 10:47 PM
May 2012
School Rumble - Main character was bland and generic as were a lot of the other characters but they all made an improvement and the romance got better as it went along.

Little Busters - This is not Key's best work and at first, I didn't like it that much. As the anime progressed I started really liking it.

Soul Eater - I wasn't too keen on the art at first and a couple of characters were really annoying (Patty and Blackstar) but Death the Kid stole this show and I got hooked.

Clannad - Like Soul Eater, the art was kind of strange at first, but it's just really the moe aspect. It started off good but when it got to Fuko's arc it got extremely boring and I nearly dropped it. Halfway through Kotomi's arc, it drastically improved. After Story was the real cake. I marathoned through it in just 4 days whilst it took me 2 weeks to finish Clannad. That explains how much better AS is.

One Piece - My all time favourite anime. This one probably had the most offensive art out of the ones I've mentioned. I didn't like how the villains were drawn. It just looked overdone and stupid and I was bored during the Arlong arc. I fell in love with it as it got past it and onto Usopp's arc.
Jun 4, 2013 10:50 PM

Nov 2010
Foxley88 said:
One Piece - My all time favourite anime. This one probably had the most offensive art out of the ones I've mentioned. I didn't like how the villains were drawn. It just looked overdone and stupid and I was bored during the Arlong arc. I fell in love with it as it got past it and onto Usopp's arc.
By Usopp's arc do you mean the Syrup village arc that was before the Arlong arc where he joined the crew or the Water 7 arc?
Jun 4, 2013 10:50 PM
Feb 2013
Angel beats....sort of, it was still pretty disappointing but it was way better after all those shitty operations.

madoka, also sort of , the first few episodes felt like i was forced into watching some 12 year old show, but it became much better later on.

Serial experiments lain. it was very difficult watching every episode not knowing what the shit is going on, and even after finishing it i still was confused, but it sort of redeemed itself at the end....i guess
Jun 5, 2013 12:02 AM

May 2012
I almost dropped Code Geass early on but stuck around and it became one of my favourites. Also I'm thought Steins;Gate was dull up until around episode 14 but it's gotten pretty good now and I'm curious to see how it ends. Pretty much everything that starts off slow, really.
Jun 5, 2013 3:01 AM

Aug 2009
I would have to say the Familiar or Zero series.I wasn't into into it because the male lead was a slave to the female lead.It took me a few years to watch after it came out.
Jun 5, 2013 3:14 AM

Aug 2012
K project. When it first aired and after 3 episodes I dropped it because it seemed to be about pretty people running around, then somewhere in March I got sick and was stuck in bed with nothing to do, so I decided to give it another go because of the pretty colours...and ended up marathoning thru it. Watching the episodes one right after the other really changed the sense of pacing for me, it was like watching a different show. I still dislike Neko, though.
Jun 5, 2013 3:16 AM

Aug 2012
Ergo Proxy
Gintama
Bakemonogatari
Katanagari
Welcome to N.H.K
Jun 5, 2013 5:56 AM

Sep 2011
Steins;Gate. The first few episodes are really lame to me which I couldn't into them and the series as a whole. Then after I reached the 2nd half, I got thrilled on it till the end and I realized it's truly a masterpiece.

Jun 5, 2013 7:53 AM

Jun 2013
Steins;Gate for sure, I wanted to stop watching after the first episode, but I had nothing else to do that day.
Shiki is probably another one, I started watching the dub when I ate breakfast and it continued like that for a while. Ended up liking it a lot.
Jun 5, 2013 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
Lain, I even considered dropping it at one point through the show, but after having heard a lot of good things about it I decided I'd give it a shot, and now I've got to admit it's one of the more interesting shows I've seen (in fact, it's even better on rewatch)
Jun 5, 2013 9:35 AM

Nov 2012
Steins;Gate, found the first episode and second episode to be decent, not something that really interested me, but now it's by far my favourite anime.
Jun 5, 2013 9:38 AM

Nov 2012
Another listing thread *sigh*
Jun 5, 2013 9:48 AM
Feb 2013
Puella Madoka Magica-I thought it was going to be some toe of everybody will live happily ever after anime. I thought different after episode 3.

Baka & Test-I usually don't like comedy being created ut of stupid characters, but the character's stupidity made the characters very appealing.
Jun 7, 2013 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
Another one for me that's more recent -

Ookiku Furikabutte - I watched the first episode in March but the heavy baseball terminology and art style didn't really click for me so I put it on hold. Recently picked it up again 5 days ago and I'm really enjoying it now. Was trying to just go for one episode per day but now I'm on the verge of marathoning it.
Jun 7, 2013 3:19 AM

May 2012
Hataraku no Maou , Ga Rei Zero, Hyoubu ZKC , Eureka Seven, Fate/Zero
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jun 7, 2013 7:17 AM

May 2013
Paranoia Agent
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

68 by ProGoddess »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

32 by MasterTasuke »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

119 by Miyamotodex23 »»
6 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

33 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

96 by rho34 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.