Forum Settings
Forums

Vegetarians VS Carnivores (Yes, carnivores kill animals which will probably cause their death, and vegetarians kill vegetables, also probably causing their death, so...)

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 3, 2013 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
Baman said:
I can never wrap my mind around the concept of restricting your food preferences due to some silly principles.
A healthy balanced diet can be achieved without excluding any form of food.
And all that whining about animals suffering is so overblown too. We are the superior species, chosen by nature itself. Surely we should allow ourselves the luxury of disregarding the feelings of the stuff we eat. No other animal gives a shit.

Those "silly principles" are based on ecological and health concerns. Especially when the meat industry consumes so many resources compared to the amount if everyone went vegetarian instead.

Nature doesn't choose anything, since nature as a whole isn't a conscious entity.

"No other animal gives regard for efficient and careful use of resources...therefore we shouldn't". We aren't other animals. And you cannot logically jump from descriptive to prescriptive. As homo sapiens, our intelligence and technology means we have a much easier time using or abusing the resources of our planet. Because of this intelligence and knowledge we have we bear a burden of responsibility for what happens. It would be incredibly foolish us to unthinkingly exploit this planet's resources without regard for the long term consequences of our actions. Being a "superior species" won't mean anything if we carelessly waste the planet's resources without thought as to how we could be more efficient and friendly towards the environment that we share an interdependent relationship with. In short, luxury doesn't trump responsibility.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 3, 2013 10:59 AM

Oct 2009
Exaccus said:

Those "silly principles" are based on ecological and health concerns. Especially when the meat industry consumes so many resources compared to the amount if everyone went vegetarian instead.

Nature doesn't choose anything, since nature as a whole isn't a conscious entity.

"No other animal gives regard for efficient and careful use of resources...therefore we shouldn't". We aren't other animals. And you cannot logically jump from descriptive to prescriptive. As homo sapiens, our intelligence and technology means we have a much easier time using or abusing the resources of our planet. Because of this intelligence and knowledge we have we bear a burden of responsibility for what happens. It would be incredibly foolish us to unthinkingly exploit this planet's resources without regard for the long term consequences of our actions. Being a "superior species" won't mean anything if we carelessly waste the planet's resources without thought as to how we could be more efficient and friendly towards the environment that we share an interdependent relationship with. In short, luxury doesn't trump responsibility.

from where does this responsibility come from?

why does there have to be "meaning" in being apex predator species?
Jun 3, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
RandomChampion said:
Exaccus said:

It's inherent in the situation. If the planet's resources get depleted or destroyed. There is nobody to blame but ourselves.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 3, 2013 11:09 AM

Oct 2009
Exaccus said:
RandomChampion said:
Exaccus said:

It's inherent in the situation. If the planet's resources get depleted our destroyed. There is nobody to blame but ourselves.

OK? so what's your point?

perhaps i dont mind blaming myself
Jun 3, 2013 11:13 AM

Oct 2009
also, eating meat is nowhere near the sole factor in us possibly leading to our own destruction
Jun 3, 2013 11:13 AM

Jan 2013
RandomChampion said:
Exaccus said:
RandomChampion said:
Exaccus said:

It's inherent in the situation. If the planet's resources get depleted our destroyed. There is nobody to blame but ourselves.

OK? so what's your point?

perhaps i dont mind blaming myself

My point should be pretty clear by now:
It's better to limit if not eliminate animal products from your diet for both health and ecological reasons.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 3, 2013 11:17 AM

Oct 2009
Exaccus said:

It's better to limit if not eliminate animal products from your diet for both health and ecological reasons.

i respect your opinion, u can do whatever you want.
didnt convince me of anything though
Jun 3, 2013 11:22 AM

Oct 2010
The issue of health doesn't only involve meat. Actually if you are defending a balanced diet you can't eliminate animal products. If that's the case you'd be putting a moral argument, not a nutritional one.
Jun 3, 2013 11:34 AM

Apr 2012
You can have a balanced diet without meat. However I still love my meats :3 no pun intended >.>
I respect both life styles! Do what ever you think is right and I'll continue to viciously consume animals NOM NOM NOM

Jun 3, 2013 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
RandomChampion said:
Exaccus said:

The mere declaration of your psychological state of not being convinced isn't exactly a rebuttal.

But ok.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 3, 2013 11:40 AM

Oct 2010
Zeally said:
You can have a balanced diet without meat.

My bad, it was just some terrible wording. What I mean is that you can very easily have a balanced diet with meat so these options are not exclusive.
Jun 3, 2013 11:54 AM

Oct 2009
Exaccus said:
RandomChampion said:
Exaccus said:

The mere declaration of your psychological state of not being convinced isn't exactly a rebuttal.

But ok.

what do you want me to tell you?

First of all, this statement assumes that limiting or eliminating animal products from one's diet is better for one's health and the ecosystem. This arguably not completely true. But I don't care whether it's completely correct or not. Even if the assertion is completely accurate, I do not find it, for me, to be a good enough reason to stop eating meat.

Basically it comes down to you trying to prove to others that one way of life is better than another or something. When trying to put value to the quality of life (aka this way of living is better than that way of living), morality comes into play. When morality comes into play, it becomes subjective because there is no objective morality unless you can somehow prove to me that ther is

That's why i said that it's your opinion, and that I'm fine with whatever you believe as long as it doesnt threaten the rights of others (I guess i can throw that in there since we are both Americans)
Jun 3, 2013 12:02 PM

Apr 2012
I'm eating eggs and toast right now

THEM POOR BABY FETUSES QQ

Jun 3, 2013 12:04 PM

Mar 2013
I have a friend who's vegetarian but makes exceptions for stuff she really loves, like bolognese and lasagnas.
I tried to explain to her...
Jun 3, 2013 12:07 PM

Jan 2011
Why I'm not a vegetarian:

> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Jun 3, 2013 1:00 PM

Oct 2012
Exaccus said:
And you cannot logically jump from descriptive to prescriptive. As homo sapiens, our intelligence and technology means we have a much easier time using or abusing the resources of our planet. Because of this intelligence and knowledge we have we bear a burden of responsibility
lol
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 3, 2013 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
Chakaara said:
I have a friend who's vegetarian but makes exceptions for stuff she really loves, like bolognese and lasagnas.

I laughed.

Sorry... :/ But it doesn't make any sense.
Jun 3, 2013 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
It's not about what we would prefer, it's about what they can do. How we treat pigs is irrelevant to how any hypothetical alien species would treat us and vice versa.
That's not the point.
Your logic, the expansion of the Golden Rule, to include everything, is like: If, given 2 choices X and Y imposed by another entity on us, we would prefer X; then we have the moral obligation, given the same 2 choices X and Y, to impose X on other entities.

So following that logic, if you were a beggar, and someone came along and faced 2 choices:
X. He gave you his entire paycheck for $2500.
Y. He gave you $5 for a burger.

Then as a beggar if you would prefer X, that he gives you $2500, then you have the moral obligation to give the next beggar you see $2500.
THE CHAT CLUB.

Apr 2012
Chakaara said:

sounds like a wannabe hipster vegetarian

Jun 3, 2013 1:09 PM

Jun 2013
Zeally said:
Chakaara said:

That what I thought, but it sounded mean so I'm glad you told him.
Jun 3, 2013 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
RandomChampion said:

First of all, this statement assumes that limiting or eliminating animal products from one's diet is better for one's health and the ecosystem. This arguably not completely true. But I don't care whether it's completely correct or not. Even if the assertion is completely accurate, I do not find it, for me, to be a good enough reason to stop eating meat.

I never said it was the only factor contributing to ecological problems. So you've only attacked an assertion I never made.

Secondly, a subjective statement of what's convincing or not convincing isn't a rebuttal. Of course, you can believe anything wish. But don't act like the sheer dismissal of a different view constitutes a legitimate rebuttal.

Basically it comes down to you trying to prove to others that one way of life is better than another or something. When trying to put value to the quality of life (aka this way of living is better than that way of living), morality comes into play. When morality comes into play, it becomes subjective because there is no objective morality unless you can somehow prove to me that ther is

That's why i said that it's your opinion, and that I'm fine with whatever you believe as long as it doesnt threaten the rights of others (I guess i can throw that in there since we are both Americans)

My post was talking about cause and effect. Namely, the careless management of our planet's resources. If we want to ensure survival and better quality of life no only in the here and now for ourselves, but also for the future it would be wise of us to consider how we are managing consumption and use of the earth's resources. We are organisms. We don't exist independently of the environment and other organisms around us. All are interdependent on one another. To deny this is to deny scientific evidence and empirical reality.
Salmon is delicious.
Jun 3, 2013 1:22 PM

Oct 2012
Exaccus said:
Namely, the careless management of our planet's resources. If we want to ensure survival and better quality of life no only in the here and now for ourselves, but also for the future it would be wise of us to consider how we are managing consumption and use of the earth's resources. We are organisms. We don't exist independently of the environment and other organisms around us. All are interdependent on one another. To deny this is to deny scientific evidence and empirical reality.
What does this ecological argument have to do with the vegetarian debate? How does eating meat on a farm benefit the environment compared to eating vegetables on a farm in addition to costly first-world protein substitutes? How does torturing a bunch of genetically engineered cows and savoring their every part hurt biodiversity?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 3, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
katsucats said:
Exaccus said:
Namely, the careless management of our planet's resources. If we want to ensure survival and better quality of life no only in the here and now for ourselves, but also for the future it would be wise of us to consider how we are managing consumption and use of the earth's resources. We are organisms. We don't exist independently of the environment and other organisms around us. All are interdependent on one another. To deny this is to deny scientific evidence and empirical reality.
What does this ecological argument have to do with the vegetarian debate? How does eating meat on a farm benefit the environment compared to eating vegetables on a farm in addition to costly first-world protein substitutes? How does torturing a bunch of genetically engineered cows and savoring their every part hurt biodiversity?

well won't genetically engineering anything make it more homogeneous?

not like i really care though hur hur >_>

Jun 3, 2013 1:34 PM

Oct 2012
Zeally said:
katsucats said:
Exaccus said:
well won't genetically engineering anything make it more homogeneous?

not like i really care though hur hur >_>
On the farm...
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 3, 2013 1:51 PM

Oct 2009
Exaccus said:
RandomChampion said:

I never said it was the only factor contributing to ecological problems. So you've only attacked an assertion I never made.

Secondly, a subjective statement of what's convincing or not convincing isn't a rebuttal. Of course, you can believe anything wish. But don't act like the sheer dismissal of a different view constitutes a legitimate rebuttal.

My post was talking about cause and effect. Namely, the careless management of our planet's resources. If we want to ensure survival and better quality of life no only in the here and now for ourselves, but also for the future it would be wise of us to consider how we are managing consumption and use of the earth's resources. We are organisms. We don't exist independently of the environment and other organisms around us. All are interdependent on one another. To deny this is to deny scientific evidence and empirical reality.

Did you not see the part where I wrote:

But I don't care whether it's completely correct or not. Even if the assertion is completely accurate, I do not find it, for me, to be a good enough reason to stop eating meat.

If you want me to argue with you about the effects of society's consumption of meat on health and ecology, then i dont care enough to do that with you at least now or in this topic.

Youre assuming that humankind has some kind of inherent responsibility to ensure survival of the species and whatnot. I deny the existence of that inherent responsibility, since it requires an objective morality. Yet you seem to think I'm denying ecological concepts, which I'm not.

Edit: LOL im just gonna put this here too

katsucats said:
Exaccus said:
And you cannot logically jump from descriptive to prescriptive. As homo sapiens, our intelligence and technology means we have a much easier time using or abusing the resources of our planet. Because of this intelligence and knowledge we have we bear a burden of responsibility
lol
RandomChampionJun 3, 2013 1:54 PM
Jun 3, 2013 2:21 PM

May 2013
I'm an omnivore.

I don't really have anything against vegetarians or vegans unless they're rude about it. Like, I've met a lot of vegans who look down on people who eat meat and call us 'zombies.' They just have a really 'holier-than-thou' attitude that pisses me off. It's like, I don't care about what choices you make for your life, so don't dictate what choices I should make for mine.
Jun 3, 2013 7:10 PM

Feb 2005
Exaccus said:
Except none of these are logical based on the actual facts. Meat is perfectly healthy and the meat industry is also not necessarily a ecological problem in itself.
It's when people eat too much meat or the meat industry gets too big and damages the environment that we have a problem. So the only reasonable solution is to make sure that does not happen.
That does however not mean that we should stop eating meat. That's just like banning all cars to reduce the traffic death statistics.
Jun 4, 2013 5:30 AM

Feb 2010
katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
It's not about what we would prefer, it's about what they can do. How we treat pigs is irrelevant to how any hypothetical alien species would treat us and vice versa.
That's not the point.
Your logic, the expansion of the Golden Rule, to include everything, is like: If, given 2 choices X and Y imposed by another entity on us, we would prefer X; then we have the moral obligation, given the same 2 choices X and Y, to impose X on other entities.

So following that logic, if you were a beggar, and someone came along and faced 2 choices:

Then as a beggar if you would prefer X, that he gives you $2500, then you have the moral obligation to give the next beggar you see $2500.

You still don't get it.
LUL
Jun 4, 2013 12:32 PM

Jan 2011
I'm pretty sure you're the one who doesn't get it, one-more-time.
Jun 4, 2013 12:34 PM

May 2013
I rather have a medium rare bloody soaked steak with some chives mash potatoes and some green beans then a shitty salad with ranch dressing
"Death is terrible for anyone. Young or old, good or evil, it’s all the same. Death is impartial. There is no especially terrible death. That’s why death is so fearsome. Your deeds, your age, your personality, your wealth, your beauty: they are all meaningless in the face of death." -Sunako Kirishiki
Jun 4, 2013 12:42 PM

Nov 2008
TheMaskedMan666 said:
I rather have a medium rare bloody soaked steak with some chives mash potatoes and some green beans then a shitty salad with ranch dressing

That makes me hungry for a steak.

Jun 4, 2013 1:11 PM

Apr 2011
Lupadim your topics are amazing.
Jun 4, 2013 11:42 PM

Oct 2012
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
That's not the point.

You still don't get it.
No, you don't get it. And you don't even get it enough to make an intelligent response.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 5, 2013 7:26 AM

Feb 2010
Vinter said:

No.

katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
That's not the point.

You still don't get it.
No, you don't get it. And you don't even get it enough to make an intelligent response.

You've misinterpreted my post, and I'm quite positive that my wording isn't that bad to interpret it as "what would we/he prefer".

edit:
Disinclination and inability to make an intelligent argument] are two different things, first one would be the case here for me.
I am not interested in "discussion" with a person who gets wet over semantics, and drops a wall of text over a one or few slightly misused words, where they are understandable in the context of current discussed topic.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that misusing words, terms, definitions is completely fine, but when semantics takes over the discussed topic itself, it's just a waste of time.

There's no need for baiting remarks - just shows how desperate you are for arguments.

The point I was making in my original post was easy to understand, the keyword was duplicity. But, seems, that your love for semantics got you lost.
one-more-timeJun 5, 2013 9:53 AM
LUL
Jun 5, 2013 7:36 AM

Nov 2011
one-more-time said:
Vinter said:

No.

katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
That's not the point.

You still don't get it.

You've misinterpreted my post, and I'm quite positive that my wording isn't that bad to interpret it as "what would we/he prefer".

You guys do realize that you two are now engaging in a "no u" argument, right....Right?
The Art of Eight
Jun 5, 2013 12:36 PM

Jan 2011
dankickyou said:
one-more-time said:
Vinter said:

No.

katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
That's not the point.

You still don't get it.

You guys do realize that you two are now engaging in a "no u" argument, right....Right?

No, you!
Jun 3, 2013 1:02 PM

May 2013
Sound awfully a lot like The White man's burden.
Jun 3, 2013 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
Chakaara said:

I laughed.

Sorry... :/ But it doesn't make any sense.

Oct 2012
one-more-time said:
katsucats said:
That's not the point.
Your logic, the expansion of the Golden Rule, to include everything, is like: If, given 2 choices X and Y imposed by another entity on us, we would prefer X; then we have the moral responsibility, given the same 2 choices X and Y, to impose on other entities.

THE CHAT CLUB.

Apr 2012
Chakaara said:

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

6 by cotetowemixx »»
31 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 2 hours ago

1 by Hikinekomori »»
2 hours ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 11 hours ago

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
2 hours ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

23 by Lost_Viking »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 9 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.