Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 3, 2009 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The life of an idol must be tough, being rich and beautiful :P

Those kids were awful:

This looks to be a fairly promising series. It'll be interesting to see where the story goes from here.
Jan 3, 2009 11:31 PM

Oct 2008
Hmm, It looks promising, I threw this into the "Plan to Watch" and will check out a few episodes. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint, the fall season was VERY disappointing. =/
Jan 4, 2009 12:34 AM
Jul 2008
good to hear a insert song already at the first episode.. =D

cant wait for more..
Jan 4, 2009 2:37 AM
Jan 2009
The first thing I want to say to all who read my reviews thank you for taking your time to read or even look at the pics. Second is that I want people to watch anime RAW (does not matter you do not understand but it is always nice to see the art.Third is I will be putting a lot of reviews so please leave a comment such as nice pictures or good writing or expression anything will do to encourage and it's always good to encourage people anyways.

On to the review of WHITE ALBUM!

The story starts with our main heroine Yuki and here boyfriend/person who loves her Fuji Touya (I understood Touma but will reedit with subs). The scene is breathtaking as in the art is well done and the drama already is picking up on me.Then out of nowhere I see that girl Yuki go towards the idolizer's crowd.THIS REALLY PISSED ME OFF! You would have to be stupid not to realize that Fuji was trying to get as well as keep the love of Yuki and trying to grasp her but she chooses the idol crap!

You must be pretty stupid to choose famous over love when love is a powerful emotion. People who worship you cause of having talent is BS! Once you lose the talent whatever it may be the person who loves you will never leave you even if you have a scar of any kind.Real lovers will be like that but real show business throws you out if they cannot find a use for you to make money. A sad reality that the anime "skipbeat" does not show as much.

To my surprise I see Fuji waking up so it was all a dream but it does seem it is not far from reality since Yuki is seen on TV with interviewer asking about her sensei which she replies that it is Ogata Eiji and she is also asked about Okata Rina which is singer that is apparently good. I love love love love the OP! It's great with great music and art directions! It then fast forwards to Fuji waking up with a job to attend and what it appears to be cold outside.

From the looks of how Yuki and Fuji meet they are only very good friends but Fuji wants to be more than that to her since of his dream at the very least he wants to be more serious with her. Yuki's manager Shinozuka Yayoi is quite the handsome killer lady! She always might be a lesbian her cold attitude towards Fuji gave some vibes to me of a future possible concerning this about Shinozuka.

The conversation that issued afterwards was with yet another character introduction, that of Misaki Sawakura along with another friend (guy and need some subs to find out who). The reference and talking of Robert Browning was interesting and the conversation about Yuki with Fuji's job along with his situation was also interesting.The art is very captivating so far.

Fuji with his friend in the park while walking meet another character girl yet, which is Haruka Kawashima. It was quite funny when Fuji almost got run over by Haruka. She wanted him to go somewhere but he said he has a job to attend to. Pretty confusing when Fuji's friend said to Haruka is she likes tennis and she seemed to have a reaction of either hating that sport or not being able to play it. Regardless Fuji managed to talk to her about it.

It goes on to a train conversation between Fuji and his male friend. It then gets to a more interesting part.Where are introduced to Rina Okata which is very beautiful female! Her eyes are outstanding as well as her form.
Do I HATE the acting troop that passed by her! They looky all innocent until I find out that they dirtied Yuki's dress that she was to use for her performance. The most stupidest thing was her friends did nothing nor did Yuki's manager! So dumb, someone should have smacked that troop!

It jumps to Fuji and his friend at their job. Pretty nice place to work at. I would not mind to have such a job. The interesting part is we are yet introduced to another character: Ogata Eiji himself! Along with the a sound pro of the name Nagase Frank aka Frankie. That guy Frank is cool dude that appreciates music.

After that what happened was pretty weird Fuji talks with his old man then he hangs up on him! O_O WTF is that! FURIOUS! Fuji only wanted help and his old man spit at him after praying to his wife/mother of Fuji. The show with Rina was a good start to what POP idol shows are about in Japan. It was also funny to see Fuji bitch about the TV host of the show to stop touching Yuki!

The following is most confusing!Ok so Fuji starts looking at the TV and sees Yuki sing along with two other girls wearing the same thing as Yuki together in accordance with Rina's singing.What confuses me is that at the same time Fuji gets a call from Yuki and that right away tells me that the show might have been recorded earlier already. What follows confuses me even more.They start using a serious music when Yuki talks with Fuji on top of showing Yuki dirtying with the juices the white dresses of all and all the three girls changes appearance only to raid the show where the troop plays is at or they did it get things recorded the way they were dressed? The whole thing was like revenge against that troop or something else?

Rina appearing to congratulate Yuki on her revenge/innovation was a good sign of approval! She also wants Yuki to show to her Yuki's friend Fuji!Well this shall be interesting to see where this anime leads to with such a direction.

1.Meet Yuki Morikawa
2.Meet Shinozuka Yayoi
3.Meet Haruka Kawashima
4.Meet Misaki Sawakura
5.Meet Frank Nagase
6.Meet Rina Okata
7.Meet Ogata Eiji
8.Meet Fuji Touya
9.Meet Fuji's friend
10.Meet Fuji's mother that is unfortunately dead.
11.Yuki changed at 360 degrees

12.White dress girls as supposed to
VS
13. Thrash girls all changed

14.Certainly weird girls even after doing all this themselves.

Jan 4, 2009 8:37 AM

Mar 2008
already a review for it?!?!?

nicely done, buddy ;D

a great first episode (a bit slow, but I can manage it)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2009 10:42 AM

Jan 2008
idk about this, the atmospher was kinda heavy and it was a little depressing. Some parts are confusing as well. Anyway, looks like there will be alot of drama later on, which is good.
Jan 4, 2009 2:34 PM

Jan 2008
artemis22 said:
You must be pretty stupid to choose famous over love when love is a powerful emotion. People who worship you cause of having talent is BS! Once you lose the talent whatever it may be the person who loves you will never leave you even if you have a scar of any kind.

I'm hoping that they'll focus the plot on something along these lines. Add some drama and this could be a pretty good show. It's kind of hard to tell where the story's going to go from here, but as id said, it does look like there will be lots of drama :D

Jan 5, 2009 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
Since I'm a Eclipse fanboy I had to start this as well ;)
The first episode was okay, you were introduced to most of the characters and the conflicts, I think. Art was well done. White Album felt very different from a normal harem series, that's positive.
The first scene was great how they showed Yuki was dragged away from Touya.

I hope this will be a good, 13 episodes-long series. The first impression was good enough.
Jan 5, 2009 3:57 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was pretty nice, could be a good show. I hope we get to see and hear Aya-sama sing, that would be great.

I also want to see more of Haruka, she's really cute.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 5, 2009 5:29 AM

Oct 2008
Morikawa, Yuki (Hirano Aya) identical tone of voice as Nagase, Minato.

Another anime that will be on my list. (even though a very stereotypical romance genre where the girlfriend becomes a very busy idol and the boyfriend can't take it anymore so it slowly diminishes their relationship)

Jan 5, 2009 6:23 AM

Apr 2008
Seems like really boring series along with Marimite. Hope these are the only boring shows this season.
Something.
Jan 5, 2009 6:57 AM

Apr 2007
HoaRy said:
Since I'm a Eclipse fanboy I had to start this as well ;)
The first episode was okay, you were introduced to most of the characters and the conflicts, I think. Art was well done. White Album felt very different from a normal harem series, that's positive.
The first scene was great how they showed Yuki was dragged away from Touya.

I hope this will be a good, 13 episodes-long series. The first impression was good enough.
QFT :)
Drama ftw ^^

Jan 5, 2009 6:57 AM

Sep 2008
i decided to randomly watch this and give it a go even though i was expecting to not enjoy it, just because it didn't sound like my kind of series. But i must say i strangely enjoyed it, it seems very promising and its a good change from all the other animes i watch. I'll keep watching this :)
Jan 5, 2009 8:35 AM
Jan 2008
@ matias067

Another anime that will be on my list. (even though a very stereotypical romance genre where the girlfriend becomes a very busy idol and the boyfriend can't take it anymore so it slowly diminishes their relationship)

YOU'RE RIGHT DUDE LIKE MINATO NAGASE VOICE and ANOTHER AWESOME ANIME ROLE OF HIRANO AYA HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
HIRANO AYA AYA AYA AYA AYA AYA AYA AYA AYA-CHAN DAISUKI.....
Jan 5, 2009 9:03 AM

Mar 2008
Yeah....dropped in the first 12 minutes.

This is one of those shows where I have no idea what the hell the characters are doing or trying to say. As if there's some magical University/Idol/Part-Time-Job world where people actually act like these guys.
Jan 5, 2009 9:37 AM

Aug 2007
It's interesting for now. The beginning startled me a bit, as if I was missing something, but it later turned out to be a dream. White Album feels a bit like Honey and Clover to me... I'm just wondering if this will be as good as Honey and Clover.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jan 5, 2009 9:59 AM

Jul 2008
Even though this seemed like one of those series I wouldn't quite like, I actually found this first episode pretty good and enjoyable. I'll probably be watching this series 'till the end after all, if it keeps up this way. x)
Jan 5, 2009 10:01 AM

Nov 2008
It looks like this series could shape up to be something really interesting. There's a lot going on with the various characters that can be explored... I'm interested in what kind of storyline will develop from this.
Jan 5, 2009 11:17 AM

Dec 2007
all i'll say...
this show has a LOT of potential
Jan 5, 2009 11:29 AM

Jul 2008
It wasn't that kind of episode what I was thinking. It was more boring. Nana Mizuki's character seems little boring too ,_, But I guess that I can watch this throughht >:3

But the opening was lovely ! ♥

Jan 5, 2009 11:41 AM

Jun 2008
I am liking this series, wonder if the other girls like him haha, they should since it was a anime from a dating game, oohh wells wonder who her is going to end up with. Anyone wants to take a guess?
This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.
Jan 5, 2009 11:58 AM
Oct 2008
Tekky99 said:
all i'll say...
this show has a LOT of potential

QFT
I wanted to watch it, and now I want moar :3
Jan 5, 2009 12:37 PM

Aug 2008
This was definitely interesting, but man this series has "potential fail" written all over its forehead.

Here's the thing: I feel I know EXACTLY what's going to happen. I think he's gonna break up with her because he feels he'll slow her career down and he never sees her. Meanwhile, he'll hook up with the brunette, who obviously has a crush on him. This will make his best friend go nuts and drama ensues until someone dies or Yuki and Toya realize their error and live happily ever after.

Sound familiar? What I'm hoping is that none of this happens. I'm hoping this will be different - that hope and romance will rule throughout. I know its unlikely for the artsy creators, but you never know. The girls are super cute and the voice acting is great so I'm definitely going to keep watching.

last thing: kudos to making the idol Rina a good friend rather than a cliched bitchy rival. That's a top notch move in my book and makes this a lot more interesting to look forward to.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Jan 5, 2009 1:25 PM

Dec 2007
good first episode. I think this series have potential, the art is good and so is the music

Jan 5, 2009 1:26 PM
Dec 2007
I expected a lot (that's the only "not sequel" anime released this season that I was really looking forward to actually) from White Album, and after watching this first episode, I must say it definitely has a lot of potential, and the scenario is already very interesting and somewhat realistic (those damn Japanese managers, they're annoying, and I know what I'm talking about). The atmosphere and music are really fantastic, and the ED is so cute ! The setting of Japan during the economic bubble in 1986 is well chosen and could lead to a lot of interesting developments too. Overall, if I should pick some references to describe this anime for now, it would be ef's direction mixed with REC's themes and some kind of Itazura na Kiss feeling too. Good one for sure, even if Skip Beat most probably deals with the same themes in a more straightforward way (WA is more the "sad and depressing" drama type obviously).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 5, 2009 1:43 PM
Oct 2007
This episode gave me a very NANA-ish feeling. I agree that WA has potential but depending on the direction, it could succeed or fail because so far, I am not liking any of the characters, especially not Touya and Yuki and I generally like the main characters. Rina, however, seems interesting.

Let's see how the next episode fares. I hope the mood is not gonna be all depressing and dreary like this episode.
Jan 5, 2009 2:09 PM

Aug 2008
Felt like the storyarc was loaded into a shotgun and shot all over the script, so basically the whole episode annoyed me to my limits. It could turn out to be good, but I can't see the potential that's everyone talking about.
Jan 5, 2009 2:22 PM

Sep 2008
Everything about this was just "Meh" main character seems very flat and uninteresting, Music was boring, over dramatic and at times laughable. the story was all over the place and the character's relationships, and back story where mostly confusing. I'm gonna keep watching in hopes this gets better, but dunno this could go no where.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 5, 2009 2:28 PM

Jan 2009
the episode was average, i hope the next one is better......

at this point its a "drop candidate".....
Jan 5, 2009 2:34 PM

Jun 2007
I'm not very interested in the music that we'll probably hear more of through this anime
but the story looks fairly interesting and has some potential.

Also it reminded me a lot of REC. Let's see if it can live up to REC's glory. D:
Jan 5, 2009 3:30 PM

Nov 2007
Interesting, this show has some potential, good art and a lot of use of camera pans gives it a 'like a TV show' type feel.

There was a lot of foreshadowing and character introductions with little explanation, but I expect that these will be unvieled as the show progresses.

As always, I see some potential to fail, some of the characters fall neatly into stereotypes (tomboyish girl on pushbike? bookish girl with secret crush on male lead?) and the male lead is a bit of a laybout with a bit of an emo streak, HOWEVER there's also plenty good to look forward to.

Plus it has both Mizuki Nana and Hirano Aya starring in it, thats enough to hold my interest for a while.
Jan 5, 2009 4:36 PM

Mar 2008
okay.. I really liked the characters and animations.. but i think the story will get repetitive at times and wasn't really interesting this episode.. its nothing I have never seen before but I won't say it isnt getting better in the next eps.. so im still optimistic about it.
Jan 5, 2009 5:00 PM

Oct 2007
mcjazzman32 said:
This was definitely interesting, but man this series has "potential fail" written all over its forehead.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm of two minds on this show, on one hand, it was well done, good music and voice acting, but on the other, it just didn't click for me, and I feel the same way, that I know exactly how this will turn out. And the atmosphere seemed very subdued and sad.

Very nice caps, artemis22.
Jan 5, 2009 5:02 PM

Jan 2008
Mathes said:
Also it reminded me a lot of REC. Let's see if it can live up to REC's glory. D:
Same, though seems more serious than REC. Let's see how this plays out.
Jan 5, 2009 5:07 PM

Jan 2008
I really enjoyed the first episode, hopefully the rest of the show is as good as this.
Jan 5, 2009 7:02 PM

Jun 2007
id said:
idk about this, the atmospher was kinda heavy and it was a little depressing.

Ya I can sense the drama getting ready to come nip us all in the emotional butts. This series reminds me so much of I"s Pure.
Jan 5, 2009 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
Just found out eclipse is subbing this show, I guess I'll give it a try and post what I think about it later
Jan 5, 2009 7:53 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm. This first episode was all over the place. We now know the main cast, but very little about them (personality-wise). But I think I'll stick with it.

matias067 said:
Ah, good I'm not the only one who thought that...
mcjazzman32 said:
last thing: kudos to making the idol Rina a good friend rather than a cliched bitchy rival. That's a top notch move in my book and makes this a lot more interesting to look forward to.
QFT. Take that, Skip Beat.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Jan 5, 2009 7:58 PM

Feb 2008
First 15 minutes was quite boring for me. Luckily the second half's pacing went up a notch and just somehow managed to sustain my interest.

Will probably watch a few more episode before deciding whether to give it the drop or not.
Jan 5, 2009 8:26 PM

Jan 2007
A lot different than what I was expecting, but not a bad thing though. The only problem I have so far was the questionable acts of the male lead. He was like walking on the fine line between typical idot shounen lead to typical normal lead. Other than that, solid so far. Can't wait to see what kind of direction it takes.
Jan 5, 2009 8:37 PM

Oct 2008
artemis22 said:
The first thing I want to say to all who read my reviews thank you for taking your time to read or even look at the pics. Second is that I want people to watch anime RAW (does not matter you do not understand but it is always nice to see the art.Third is I will be putting a lot of reviews so please leave a comment such as nice pictures or good writing or expression anything will do to encourage and it's always good to encourage people anyways.

On to the review of WHITE ALBUM!

Just came to see people's initial impressions, then i saw the above. I LOL'ed. as for the rest... tl;dr

Jan 5, 2009 10:12 PM

Aug 2008
The was a ok episode. I expected more. Well let's wait again and see! :D
Jan 5, 2009 11:02 PM

Jul 2008
Well... it was an okay first episode. I'm more on the comedy side so.... it seems a bit weird to me. But I'm gonna continue

Jan 6, 2009 2:10 AM

Aug 2007
I enjoyed the 'mature' feel of this anime, which is a pleasant change from the usual moe~ stuff we are bombarded with nowadays. The fact that this is written by Leaf should guarantee a wonderfully crafted story.

Oh well on to the next episode. Just something about a story based on distance that piques my interest.
Jan 6, 2009 4:53 AM

Jul 2007
Loved it
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jan 6, 2009 5:13 AM
Jul 2008
well it introduced the characters and the situations they are in...now let´s see where it goes..
Jan 6, 2009 7:33 AM
Mar 2008
Hopefully Yuki stays pure and kind to the end and that dude doesn't stay all hesitantly stupid like in every anime lol, but I guess if everything was that easy it wouldn't be interesting. Looks okay so far. Rina is cool.
Jan 6, 2009 9:51 AM

Aug 2008
Very slow episode, but I think that's the pace they are going for, so I'm going to have to get used to it. Character designs are pretty inconsistent. Some look really dated, and some look a little more modern. I really like the way that the show is directed, kind of dream-like, but also straight forward. But some of the dialogue was bad, and voice acting is a little mismatched.
Jan 6, 2009 3:24 PM

Sep 2007
It's trying really hard to be "artsy", which isn't a big deal for me but it seems rather misplaced. Main character comes across as an appealing everyman already. The show could turn out good, but somehow I doubt it.

If I have to hear Hirano and Mizuki sing every ep I'm gonna sdgsdgjlsdkgsdgslsdgs
Jan 6, 2009 6:40 PM

Mar 2008
I don't know whether or not I like it yet. I felt like I had no idea what was going on - like I missed ten episodes or something. But I'm sure that will get fixed throughout the series. Overall though it definitely wasn't as bad as it could have been and I'll keep watching for a while.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » White Album Episode 8 Discussion

patient_senses - Mar 31, 2009

22 by Daninokuni »»
Sep 12, 2023 1:35 AM

Poll: » White Album Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sonja - Feb 8, 2009

57 by Daninokuni »»
Sep 5, 2023 1:38 AM

» VN

OppaiSugoi - Jul 17, 2023

1 by Thatboidriz »»
Jul 19, 2023 6:12 PM

Poll: » White Album Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Mar 29, 2009

112 by W3TFT »»
Jan 24, 2023 11:10 PM

» More people should watch this.

Butterfly_White - May 23, 2021

4 by W3TFT »»
Jan 23, 2023 10:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.