Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Which Kind of Ending Do You Prefer?

May 29, 2013 7:38 PM

Mine is Hanging Ending B "What happened next? Ooh they're making a next season! I can't wait!" Like Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!,Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai.
Modified by GosuDR, May 29, 2013 7:42 PM

May 29, 2013 7:40 PM

Omedeto ending

May 29, 2013 7:43 PM

Fate/Zero's tragic ending B. I like me a martyr. And a "hero".

Hanging endings kinda suck because the cliffhanger gets resolved with an asspull at the start of the next season. But hey, at least there's more episodes!

Happy endings are mainstream :/

Urobutcher ending
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source

Hanging Ending A. Cause I just LOVE getting no resolution at all to the hours I've invested.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.

May 29, 2013 7:44 PM

I like when messed up shit happens to characters. Hence why Berserk is in my favs. I prefer tragic endings where the MC dies.

May 29, 2013 7:45 PM

Tragedy A, also known as bittersweet. Absolutely the best.

May 29, 2013 7:46 PM

Congratulations!

May 29, 2013 7:48 PM

I'll never understand why people deliberately want bad things to happen to the main characters of a show.

May 29, 2013 7:50 PM

An ending that makes sense.

Nonsensical endings frustrate me the most....like Clannad AS.

May 29, 2013 7:52 PM

JustALEX said:

What is so nonsensical about that?

Red_Keys said:
I'll never understand why people deliberately want bad things to happen to the main characters of a show.

Neither do I.

I guess they just don't want the contrived Disney Happy ending.

Red_Keys said:
SOMETHING bad has to happen! It makes the moment all the more memorable. Happy endings are forgettable and "oh, that was nice" predictable.

Bad endings are comparatively rare and always a shocker.

Just an observation: You'll never understand a lot of things, won't you?

May 29, 2013 7:53 PM

Red_Keys said:

Because it is boring when good things happen to a MC. For example: Sword Are Online, worst piece of garbo evarrr.

May 29, 2013 7:54 PM
The ones that tie up all the lose ends so I don't have the feeling of what happen to...

May 29, 2013 7:54 PM

Litrydow said:
JustALEX said:

Lol.

Clannad AS was full of ridiculous shit.

Clannad the Movie which goes into the Clannad AS portion makes a lot more sense and is a much better ending IMO.

May 29, 2013 7:55 PM

Red_Keys said:

Good is overrated
[/url]

May 29, 2013 7:55 PM

PoeticJustice said:
Red_Keys said:

Because it is boring when good things happen to a MC. For example: Sword Are Online, worst piece of garbo evarrr.

Very true.

SAO was typical Shounen HAX.

However, that's because the anime made it like that, if they didn't have such strict and ridiculous rules, it could've been better, IMO.

May 29, 2013 7:58 PM
All die for nothing.
Would totally make my day.

May 29, 2013 8:00 PM

I voted for Tragedy B.
Simply cause it makes one want to rage

May 29, 2013 8:00 PM

Whatever fits the anime.

May 29, 2013 8:01 PM

MellowJello said:
About people and the way their minds work? Definitely.

PoeticJustice said:
Because it is boring when good things happen to a MC.
Idk about you, but I consider that a pretty unhealthy, as well as disturbing, outlook.

The entire purpose of main characters is to connect with them on an emotional level. Otherwise stories don't make any sense. It's just kind of disheartening how people are unable to empathize, or downright refuse to empathize with characters or situations. Almost as if everybody is autistic.

Num1dad_Asura said:
Good is overrated

May 29, 2013 8:01 PM

But I think it all depends on the story.

For Romance Comedy/Drama....the ending usually has to do with who is the MC going to pick.

Unfortunately, the fans ruin it because everyone starts to go apeshit when their beloved Waifu isn't picked.

It's frustrating to say the least.

And of the hundreds of anime I have completed only a very select few actually ended the way I perceive to be "good".

Again....Good = Logical for me.

May 29, 2013 8:06 PM

If it has something to do with someone falling of a cliff, then 10/10 ending.

FullmetalFanatic said:
I like any ending that fits the show. If One Piece ended in a tragedy I would go apeshit. But there are many others that can pull off a tragic ending well.

>Implying One Piece will actually end.

Red_Keys said:

PoeticJustice said:
Idk about you, but I consider that a pretty unhealthy, as well as disturbing, outlook.

The entire purpose of main characters is to connect with them on an emotional level. Otherwise stories don't make any sense. It's just kind of disheartening how people are unable to empathize, or downright refuse to empathize with characters or situations. Almost as if everybody is autistic.

LOLOLOLOOLOL. Wouldn't it be more realistic if bad things happened to the MC, because few really good things like what we normally see in anime, actually happen in real life? And wouldn't you feel more empathy towards someone who went through a traumatic event rather than someone who say, won the lottery? But I am a sadist so that is just me.......

May 29, 2013 8:07 PM

JustALEX said:
Litrydow said:
JustALEX said:

Lol.

Clannad AS was full of ridiculous shit.

Clannad the Movie which goes into the Clannad AS portion makes a lot more sense and is a much better ending IMO.

But the whole show was about magic. Even the reason
was magical.

May 29, 2013 8:07 PM

I'll take what JustALEX is having.

Basically,

If the main character makes a bunch of dumb-ass mistakes and doesn't learn from them, I don't exactly expect the world to forgive him.

If the main character proves his worth by changing himself to meet the challenges of the world, I'd expect at least a bittersweet ending, if not happy outright.

If the main character tries to change but has some fundamental human flaw he can't get over, I expect a tragic ending.

See what I'm saying?

Of course, all this applies to a story taking itself seriously. Idgaf what kind of ending I get in a comedy or a boobfest.
Modified by gamer2710, May 29, 2013 8:11 PM
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

May 29, 2013 8:11 PM

Tragic endings are shockers but then again, School Days was a shocker and i feel like puking out of how bad it was. I like endings where it's bitter sweet, like Chrono Crusade. At times though, bitter sweet endings are complete shit, like Sousei no Aquarion. I liked the show, despite their orgastic transformations but that ending was shit. Herioc Age had a happy ending and that was really well done. I'm actually fine with anything as long as it's well done.
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki

May 29, 2013 8:14 PM

KingKongShrest said:
Tragic endings are shockers but then again, School Days was a shocker and i feel like puking out of how bad it was. I like endings where it's bitter sweet, like Chrono Crusade.

No no, that was a totally bitter ending, tragedy B.

May 29, 2013 8:16 PM

BTW....forced endings are ridiculous too.

Negima (manga) was probably the most disappointing thing I've ever seen in a manga....and It was more frustrating because Ken Akamatsu (the mangaka) made a pretty good finale in Love Hina.

School Rumble (manga) was inexplicable.....I heard talks about a sequel, but I doubt it.

May 29, 2013 8:16 PM

Red_Keys said:

PoeticJustice said:

But seriously, it's a sad fact in humanity but we like seeing people suffer for entertainment thus a struggle story is really entertaining and a tragic one even better. I mean just look at most of the comedy anime produces 99% of the time the comedy part has one character being in some sort of mental or physical pain and we laugh at it.

Sad but true.
[/url]

May 29, 2013 8:19 PM

When I saw Steins;Gate's ending, all I could say was, "Why?"
I realize that it was a time travel show and that a happy ending could always be thrown in there and somewhat make sense, but still...

May 29, 2013 8:21 PM

JustALEX said:
Negima (manga) was probably the most disappointing thing I've ever seen in a manga....and It was more frustrating because Ken Akamatsu (the mangaka) made a pretty good finale in Love Hina.

To be fair, Negima's butchered ending was due to whole publishers getting the copyrights over the mangaka's works law thing.

May 29, 2013 8:22 PM

Litrydow said:
KingKongShrest said:
Tragic endings are shockers but then again, School Days was a shocker and i feel like puking out of how bad it was. I like endings where it's bitter sweet, like Chrono Crusade.

No no, that was a totally bitter ending, tragedy B.

I wouldn't say so, i mean a totally bitter ending would have been them losing, then being separated, then dying separately. In the end, they died holding hands, smiling etc. A totally bitter ending would have been Higurashi, if it ended after one Arc.
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki

May 29, 2013 8:29 PM

OP, you should add this to the poll:

Bittersweet ending: A satisfactory, supposedly happy ending that comes at a cost.

May 29, 2013 8:31 PM

Hanging Ending B if there is enough plot devices or stuff that needs explaining.
It's nice because now you'll have something to look forward to unless it takes too long and you don't care anymore.

Darker than Black didn't do this right though..

May 29, 2013 8:40 PM

I like endings like Clannad. Extremely depressing but everything turned out good in the end. There should be a few more options. However, I voted "Happy Ending".
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

May 29, 2013 8:50 PM
Gainax ending. seriously why are those people always called on that?

Num1dad_Asura said:
Urobutcher ending

again, why some people always like to call on that. Does this mean 'bad guy wins' ending?

May 29, 2013 9:02 PM

It really just depends on the show. If its overall mood is fairly dark, I prefer a more tragic ending simply because it fits better. And if it's a typical shounen, then I prefer a happy ending.

Overall, though, my favorite endings are bittersweet ones where maybe the main characters reached their goal but at some high cost. Like in Gurren Lagann

May 29, 2013 9:09 PM

for a shounen/action/thriller = tragedy A

for a romance/drama = happy ending

*The only exception where I like tragedy B = Berserk (eclipse)

May 29, 2013 9:18 PM

One that works with the plot.

May 29, 2013 9:22 PM

FullmetalFanatic said:
I like any ending that fits the show. If One Piece ended in a tragedy I would go apeshit. But there are many others that can pull off a tragic ending well.
I actually think One Piece's ending will be uplifting, but I really think people will die in the end. Maybe even a couple of protagonists.

OT: I like all endings depending on the anime. Though my favorite endings are the ones where everybody moves on after the climax(people may have died, etc) and it shows them like 3 years later all in different places. It's nice to see how the story would move on, it makes it feel bigger and more alive.

May 29, 2013 9:27 PM

Tragedy A, although no one necessarily has to literally die. I just like bittersweet endings.

Red_Keys said:
MellowJello said:
About people and the way their minds work? Definitely.

PoeticJustice said:

Num1dad_Asura said:
Good is overrated

http://mecha-guignol.com/2013/05/11/we-are-gods-and-junk/#more-5081

I don't know if I agree with this article, but it pertains to the subject.

May 29, 2013 9:28 PM

1. "Congratulations" ending
2. "I feel sick, I shall choke you" ending
3. "I am yo baby mama u no luv me i will behead u" ending
4. "I have no idea what just happened so it must be deep" ending
5. "my girlfriend just got raped by my girly-looking demon friend" ending
6. "awww, shit son. I think I'm dying" ending
UwU

May 29, 2013 9:29 PM
I like happy, conclusive, and satisfying endings like in FMAB and NG Life.

May 29, 2013 9:52 PM
I like that kind of ending in which it's viewed as good but it doesn't feel just right.

May 29, 2013 10:01 PM

Bittersweet ending.

May 29, 2013 10:05 PM

The mood is a factor that matters less than an ending that is realistic, consistent, conclusive, and acknowledges the fact that the story still continues.

For all those saying happy endings all full of b*llshit; there is no greater trickery by the author than fooling people into believing the words "The End".
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"

May 29, 2013 10:12 PM

Tragedy A. I like bittersweet endings better. It leaves a bigger impact on me than happy-happy endings.
What do you think? The meaning of our existence. Why do we continue to live?
~Iris Rain Umbrella, my favorite robot

Pages (2) [1] 2 »