Forum Settings
Forums

Watching anime means you're socially awkward?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
May 29, 2013 5:18 PM

Well DUH!

You know it's a rule...

And you gotta obey the rules!

The logic here is unquestionable...

May 29, 2013 5:19 PM

InfiniteRufus said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.

Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
Maybe it's just from my experience. Outside of Japan, America is the most popular country for Anime, right?

Yes, it is, although I live in the UK (it's still popular over here).

Since when? You could have fooled me.
Oh. So is it just me or not? I live in a weird part of the UK. By weird, I mean no body knows anything about Anime ect. so I assumed the rest of the UK was not so popular with Anime.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

May 29, 2013 5:23 PM

InfiniteRufus said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.

Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
Maybe it's just from my experience. Outside of Japan, America is the most popular country for Anime, right?

About a third of my friends watch and read anime and manga. They're usually the big three and ghibli works though, with only me and two others extending beyond that. Pretty much everyone, self proclaimed anime fan or not, enjoys ghibli films though. A lot of the girls love My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away.

Btw I live in Swansea.

May 29, 2013 5:30 PM

spyrocoot said:
InfiniteRufus said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:

About a third of my friends watch and read anime and manga. They're usually the big three and ghibli works though, with only me and two others extending beyond that. Pretty much everyone, self proclaimed anime fan or not, enjoys ghibli films though. A lot of the girls love My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away.

Btw I live in Swansea.
I have one friend that knows about One Piece, that's it. Even then, he only knows that the main character is Luffy. I live in Dorset, South-West of England.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

May 29, 2013 6:10 PM

Chances are, you're not socially awkward because you watch anime, you're watching anime because you're socially awkward.

May 29, 2013 6:11 PM

IntervisioN said:
Chances are, you're not socially awkward because you watch anime, you're watching anime because you're socially awkward.

May 29, 2013 6:20 PM

Red_Keys said:
IntervisioN said:

Sometimes I wish that was true.

May 29, 2013 6:24 PM

Matenrou said:
Why is it that when I ask any non-anime viewer about anime they associate it with socially retarded people? Or weirdos etc..

Is society really that judgemental D:
what? Where you live your people are assholes, lol. No but seriously they don't know about it at all so they can't judge, but I usually tell them if they watched Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc. and ask if they liked it, they say yes and then understand anime a little and don't judge me because they liked those series.

That's how it works for me at least.

May 29, 2013 7:18 PM

cuntologics said:
RandomChampion said:
there is sorrow in loneliness, but glory in solitude.

Mind if I frame this?

Really, there is nothing wrong with watching anime. However not everyone has the open mind to understand another's interests etc.

don't know what you mean by frame, but sure lol

you dont have to ask. last time i checked this was a public forum

May 29, 2013 9:12 PM

I think it mostly steams going way back to japan's isolationist era. Even now we see japanese as strange folk and they see us as money wasting big chinned arnold-swarzenegger-looking tourists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTm2tk1yzSI

we see them as strange indigenous people who run around with katanas
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~

May 29, 2013 9:20 PM

I don't think it's really stereotyping or anything, but I would say that without a doubt, the majority of anime viewers (or at least hardcore anime viewers) are either major weeboos, or in general, introverts. Being an introvert is considered 'weird' to most extroverts. The majority of the time, introverts can generally be deemed socially awkward by an extrovert. Ergo, the majority of anime viewers can be deemed socially awkward by an extrovert's perspective, or at least, I'd be willing to argue that.

We also must admit that you can find some weird sh*t in anime. Sh*t that some hardcore viewers may question to this day.

May 29, 2013 9:26 PM

Matenrou said:
Why is it that when I ask any non-anime viewer about anime they associate it with socially retarded people? Or weirdos etc..

Is society really that judgemental D:

Because most of the anime lovers I know fit the stereotype. Especially the naruto and death note fans. I knew this aspie in high school who would do that naruto run with his arms behind him in P.E. And he kept a death note and he wrote like 10 pages of my name in it because I made a joke about him being quiet. Funny shit.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast

May 30, 2013 2:26 AM

No it doesnt, it depends on the person.

Everyone knows I watch anime and Im socially awesome.

May 30, 2013 2:54 AM

Socially awkward? No, people that don't watch anime will call people that do, 'Nerds' or 'No lifes', but I don't care, I have friends that don't watch anime and they don't care if I do. In fact I made my friend get into anime.
'If people refuse to accept you, then I'll just accept you even more.'

May 30, 2013 4:21 AM
RandomChampion said:
cuntologics said:
RandomChampion said:
there is sorrow in loneliness, but glory in solitude.

Mind if I frame this?

Really, there is nothing wrong with watching anime. However not everyone has the open mind to understand another's interests etc.

don't know what you mean by frame, but sure lol

you dont have to ask. last time i checked this was a public forum

That quote is fucking l33t

May 30, 2013 4:26 AM
The part of England I'm in btw doesn't have that big of an Anime/Manga fanbase. It's full of betas. In my sixth form out of 200 people around 6 people watch anime which is obviously such a great %...
Regarding the people that have had lonely childhood experiences just try and move on, learn a new skill perhaps. Just make sure if anyone says shit to you that you can defend yourself!

May 30, 2013 4:31 AM
It's not really a big deal for me since when someone calls me weird i murder him and enslave all his relatives and ancestors

May 30, 2013 4:59 AM

And the media is affecting the opinion about otaku.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

May 30, 2013 5:04 AM

I am already socially akward so watching anime doesn't change anything.
Many of my friends and relatives know that I watch anime and never really judged me.(maybe in some cases they said 1-2 things I didn't like but that was mostly to tease me lol)

When I talk to my friends about an anime I recently watched, they say nothing negative towards me about it.They just let me talk and sometimes even comment why I have this reaction.I also have friends who watch anime so I talk with them more about it, If I want.

But I admit that people who don't know you, can judge you about it and say that you should grow up and stop watching ''cartoons''.

May 30, 2013 5:14 AM

I think it'd be more socially awkward to be a brony.

Or LOL

Imagine if one day your best friend came out that he's a belieber.

But nah seriously.. Watching anime isn't socially awkward. Having a waifu would be though
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds

May 30, 2013 5:09 PM

Eh, from my experience, being an anime fan kind of labels you as a weirdo if nothing else. And from what I've seen, anime fans (generally younger fans) tend to go out of their way to act like, well... weirdos a lot of the time (especially when they're excited), so we kind of deserve the label. That's why when I was in high school I didn't generally go public with my anime habits except for with my close friends.

May 30, 2013 5:34 PM

I am not socially awkward that is a stereotype... although it is a statistically correct one, most introverted people watch anime/play video games/read manga/whack off there gerbils/read comics and that is a fact.

so it's a stereotype to say that all people who watch anime are but on the other hand...

STATISUTIKS!!!!

IM BACK

May 30, 2013 8:03 PM

I watch anime and studying IT with 8 other gamers. Now imagine how other see us. Well I don't even know if they are aware of our existence hehe.

But honestly, no one here really gives a s*** about what I do and Otaku is not a well known concept where I live. An Otaku and a Gamer is basically the same to the majority of people here.

May 30, 2013 8:08 PM

I always get labelled as Otaku. And if it's what I think it is. Than in a sense, I do have some of the behavior.

I barely leave my house, if at all.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

May 30, 2013 9:03 PM

I agree with these three~

Red_Keys said:
Yes, people really are that judgmental.

And I don't blame them.

LanaNi said:
Stereotype.
From what I see, open anime fans tend to be...different.

natssuu said:
"When you think anime, you think otaku. When you think otaku, you think people that dislike other people. Those people become hikikomori (people who shut themselves in)".

May 30, 2013 9:38 PM

Not at all. A lot of anime literally has better plot and characters than whats on TV.

May 30, 2013 9:41 PM
I watch anime and I'm socially awkward (especially in real life).
But anime is just a means of entertainment and killing time for me. And I believe I'm socially awkward because I'm afraid to make enemies and a small but intimate circle of friends is enough for me. On the other hand, anime makes a good topic when I'm talking to my acquaintances that are anime watchers too.
Well, this is purely my opinion. After all it depends on the person.

May 30, 2013 9:44 PM

Shiion-tan said:
Don't tell me you're kidding? I thought it was someone else' opinion.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

May 30, 2013 9:46 PM

To sum things up. Anime does not make people socially awkward. However, without it, I would probably have a few more friends. Even though Anime beats friends any day. Some would say that's sad, I wouldn't, I would say it's my life.

As previously said, it entirely depends on the person. I am a young person who can be extremely shy when confronted with new faces. I also prefer to sit in my room and watch Anime ect. all day. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you stay true to yourself.

People should NEVER try and change for a worthless cause.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

May 30, 2013 9:58 PM

You know,haters gonna hate :) .But who cares,people waste time on more stupid stuff than anime and as long you enjoy anime theres nothing wrong.I mean doing something you like and which makes your life brighter and makes you forgot the troubles of life is in my eyes a very good thing,so I keep watching anime,I take it slowly and maybe in 10-20 years I will finnish all on my list :).Oh and I dont think you get socially awkward because anime and manga is a hobby for most people(ofc there are ppl who are obsessed with it but even this is ok) and I think everyone got like 30 minutes or 1 hour a day for his hobby.
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.

May 31, 2013 2:50 AM

Of course it doesn't apply on every anime fan, but I've been to an anime convention twice and the majority of people there indeed looked retarded (not because of the cosplays). That's a fact. So I can't really blame people for thinking that... but if someone you know for a longer time suddenly thinks you're mental because you watch anime, it's really stupid.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.

May 31, 2013 4:15 AM

I think I'm socially awkward too;but, I can still relate to some people which I call my friends :) I don't usually talk about anime with them. They are not against it anyway.

May 31, 2013 4:18 AM

Yaver said:
People will hate what is different to them. Anime is different from anything the western society has to offer so...

Great quote

May 31, 2013 4:22 AM

fatsumie said:
Yaver said:
People will hate what is different to them. Anime is different from anything the western society has to offer so...

Great quote

Except for the fact that it isn't true. If it were, then nobody from western civilizations would be on this board.

The people that do have a problem with "anime" probably don't even know that that's the correct term for it, or the fact that it comes from a different culture/society. They just call it a cartoon and dismiss it on the assumption that it's made for kids.
Modified by Goryo, May 31, 2013 4:28 AM
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing

May 31, 2013 4:24 AM
It doesn't mean that, but the overwhelming majority is infantile and awkward. That's the reason I've refused to accompany others to anime cons about 5 times now.

May 31, 2013 9:31 AM

From people who I've met, watching Anime is pretty common in today's society.. I'lld even go as far and say that Anime's pretty mainstream now. And I've not heard of anyone accusing another with that allthough I am socially awkward myself, but most people in RL wouldn't know I watch Anime if they don't specifically ask for it.

May 31, 2013 9:45 AM

Anehim said:
From people who I've met, watching Anime is pretty common in today's society.. I'lld even go as far and say that Anime's pretty mainstream now. And I've not heard of anyone accusing another with that allthough I am socially awkward myself, but most people in RL wouldn't know I watch Anime if they don't specifically ask for it.

Have you been living at a on stop anime con or something? Anime isn't even that mainstream in Japan.

May 31, 2013 9:58 AM

Yes, because we totally don't talk to people in here.
IntelligentPerson said:
You can block their mac address
OtherPerson said:
Mac? But I'm on Windows.

May 31, 2013 11:37 AM

InfiniteRufus said:
Anehim said:

Have you been living at a on stop anime con or something? Anime isn't even that mainstream in Japan.

Never even been to one. I study at home and rarely go outside for the past years, but I've been admitted to different clinic's and the people I've randomely met who watch Anime have just been increasing over time a lot. Even if it's concidered an ''alternative'' thing it rather seems to be a kind of trend which makes me put it in the mainstream cato.

May 31, 2013 5:28 PM

I don't talk to people about anime unless they are friends. It's weird to me to bring it up out of nowhere when I am getting to know to someone and am trying to figure out what we have in common.

Jun 2, 2013 11:21 AM
Not here, here they always thing ur a geek that watches hentai

Jun 2, 2013 11:24 AM

katsucats said:
Shiion-tan said:
Don't tell me you're kidding? I thought it was someone else' opinion.

LOL

Jun 2, 2013 11:31 AM

Sadly a lot of anime watchers are socially awkward.

The anime club in my highschool forces its members to wear raccoon tails.

I have no idea what that has to do with anime.

I'm more of a closet anime watcher, I tend to hide it from people. I wouldn't say I'm socially awkward, but i am certainly not an extrovert.

Jun 2, 2013 12:30 PM

This stereotype actually applies to me but I know that it isn't because I watch anime.

Jun 2, 2013 12:36 PM

Cupquake said:

I'm more of a closet anime watcher, I tend to hide it from people. I wouldn't say I'm socially awkward, but i am certainly not an extrovert.

Seriously?
Reminds me of.

Mai Eyz!

On topic:
From my experiences there's quite a few "wapanese" who are socially awkward, and it was one of the main reasons that it took so long for me so long to actually watch a show, I didn't want to be associated with people like that.

I am pretty introverted myself, but I wouldn't call myself socially awkward, I do have friends it's just that I don't like talking to strangers, I was like that before I laid my hands on anime anyway, so it has nothing to do with it.

Modified by DatDanimexican, Jun 2, 2013 12:45 PM

Jun 2, 2013 12:39 PM

My "friends" think that people who wtach animes are socially akward, and look akward, but I don't think so.

I mean, being akward has nothing to do with watching animes.

Jun 2, 2013 12:44 PM

Most of my friends watch anime.

And I'm not socially awkward at all, I talk to people and stuff.

Jun 2, 2013 12:47 PM

Chakaara said:

You lucky bastard ! ^^

Jun 2, 2013 12:53 PM

DatDanimexican said:
Cupquake said:

Seriously?
Reminds me of.

Mai Eyz!

What the heck did I just watch...

Jun 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Chakaara said:

Same.
Except I don't really go out much...
*cough*I'm weird...OK?*cough*
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »