Forum Settings
Forums

Watching anime means you're socially awkward?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
#1
May 29, 2013 11:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 255
Why is it that when I ask any non-anime viewer about anime they associate it with socially retarded people? Or weirdos etc..

Is society really that judgemental D:
 
#2
May 29, 2013 11:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 19335
Yes, people really are that judgmental.

And I don't blame them.
 
#3
May 29, 2013 11:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 228
People will hate what is different to them. Anime is different from anything the western society has to offer so...
 
#4
May 29, 2013 11:19 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2432
Stereotype.
From what I see, open anime fans tend to be...different.
 
#5
May 29, 2013 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4756
"When you think anime, you think otaku. When you think otaku, you think people that dislike other people. Those people become hikikomori (people who shut themselves in)".
 
#6
May 29, 2013 11:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 148
In most cases it's true. I have only met a handful of fans that weren't socially awkward. Probably like 3/20 of the fans I know. But there isn't anything wrong with that. If you want to be less social and not care how awkward you are, watch all the anime and play all the video games you want.
 
#7
May 29, 2013 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1453
I assume it's due to a handful of people associating anime with the "Weeaboo" people. They most likely assume every fan of anime is like that. I know more casual fans than I do of that breed. Though I have encountered them before...
 
#8
May 29, 2013 11:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 255
Red_Keys said:
Yes, people really are that judgmental.

And I don't blame them.


But why? From what I've seen being a pisshead and a wannabe alpha male is the norm...
 
#9
May 29, 2013 11:27 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1328
For Weirdos sadly its true
Participiate any Anime Con and you will see
 
May 29, 2013 11:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4725
jokes on them OP

when the Earth is ravaged by WW4 nukular destruction, you'll have the last laugh as youre sitting comfortably in your mom's basement that you havent left for the last 30 years, living happily-ever-after with your wifu pillows
 
May 29, 2013 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9984
Matenrou said:
Red_Keys said:
Yes, people really are that judgmental.

And I don't blame them.


But why? From what I've seen being a pisshead and a wannabe alpha male is the norm...


That's them on the internet, in real life they are all timid little things that get scared by bunny rabbits, and think females are mythical creatures. I only discovered that females were real when I turned 28.
Yes that is older than I actually am right now. GET THE JOKE?
 
May 29, 2013 11:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1538
RandomChampion said:
jokes on them OP

when the Earth is ravaged by WW4 nukular destruction, you'll have the last laugh as youre sitting comfortably in your mom's basement that you havent left for the last 30 years, living happily-ever-after with your wifu pillows

Thank you for this laugh.

On topic, it doesn't happen to me, I'm alpha as fuck, people respect me and look up to me.
 
May 29, 2013 11:53 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 255
RandomChampion said:
jokes on them OP

when the Earth is ravaged by WW4 nukular destruction, you'll have the last laugh as youre sitting comfortably in your mom's basement that you havent left for the last 30 years, living happily-ever-after with your wifu pillows


Sounds legit
 
May 29, 2013 12:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1292
I'm socially awkward, I'm weird, I'm practically a shut-in, I don't give a f*ck on what others think about those facts and all this would be the case without anime and manga.
You see, it varies from person to person.
 
May 29, 2013 12:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 19335
SquChan said:
I'm socially awkward, I'm weird, I'm practically a shut-in, I don't give a f*ck on what others think about those facts and all this would be the case without anime and manga.
You see, it varies from person to person.
 
May 29, 2013 12:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4725
SquChan said:
I'm socially awkward, I'm weird, I'm practically a shut-in, I don't give a f*ck on what others think about those facts and all this would be the case without anime and manga.
You see, it varies from person to person.


always be yourself man












unless you can be RandomChampin - then be RandomChampion
 
May 29, 2013 12:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1404
SquChan said:
I'm socially awkward, I'm weird, I'm practically a shut-in, I don't give a f*ck on what others think about those facts and all this would be the case without anime and manga.
You see, it varies from person to person.

Seconded. I would be the same with or without anime. I've been like that for a few years, yet i watched anime for around 1.5 years.
 
May 29, 2013 12:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 16909
It's a self-enforcing cycle. People think you're weird, you put up safe guards to hide the weirdness, only to make it seem weird that you'd go to length to hide it.

But hey, if you're happy with yourself, why should you give a shit if other people think you're weird?
 
May 29, 2013 12:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 4556
I went on a trip to vietnam to do some volunteer work a couple of years back and part of my team, more than 30 people, is that only 4 including myself watch anime, the other guys are over 30+. They thought we were weird at first because of all the talk that we were doing. Days pass after working with the other people, they told us its cool that we could happily talk about something that could easily have us look bad(the other guy even brought some of his figurines lol). We were all having fun and we even got the entire team to watch anime. Well i also cant disregard the fact that other people are pretty hard headed and only believing what they hear and stuff. Most of the non anime viewers that i met are pretty fine with it actually.
 
May 29, 2013 12:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 4491
I'm socially awkward.
 
May 29, 2013 12:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 3710
Yes it's a rule.
 
May 29, 2013 12:58 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
Apparently the majority of the fan base for Anime ect. have autism of some sort. That's just what people think.

I don't leave my house for anything other than school, so what? I enjoy sitting in my room and spending my life doing what I love. No one knows what Anime is where I live, so they assume I'm weird as fuck, which to them I am, considering the unique interests. I learned to not care what others think a long time ago.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 29, 2013 1:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 472
Yes, society is really THAT judgmental.

Don't worry about it.
 
May 29, 2013 2:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1156
Most weebs are like that so you can't really blame them.
 
May 29, 2013 2:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 9759
I think that is 75% true though
..
 
May 29, 2013 2:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
People have that view of anime fans because a lot of them are like these fuckers:



If people didn't make it such a priority to announce to the world that they are fans of anime, then people wouldn't have such a negative view of them.
 
May 29, 2013 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 108
Well yea, but Im pretty sure most of them secretly watch some anime from time to time.
To bicycle, or not to bicycle: that is not a question
 
May 29, 2013 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4725
spyrocoot said:
People have that view of anime fans because a lot of them are like these fuckers:



If people didn't make it such a priority to announce to the world that they are fans of anime, then people wouldn't have such a negative view of them.


hey man it took us a long time to make the video and learn the dance

want to join the anime club though?
 
May 29, 2013 2:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
RandomChampion said:
spyrocoot said:
People have that view of anime fans because a lot of them are like these fuckers:



If people didn't make it such a priority to announce to the world that they are fans of anime, then people wouldn't have such a negative view of them.


hey man it took us a long time to make the video and learn the dance

want to join the anime club though?


nop sorrt
 
May 29, 2013 2:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2039
Primary school - Not socially awkward, had friends and everything.
High school - Extremely socially awkward, I sit by myself.

:l

 
May 29, 2013 2:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 3637
Watching anime doesn't mean you're socially awkward or whatever. You can take it as you feel you love it. Most of those people outside are too closed minded, and perhaps they are the only retarded. Outside perspective is the one with that opinion. If you feel amazing as you are and enjoying anime, that's great. You don't need to care about what others say. Don't give a shit.


 
May 29, 2013 2:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 9759
This is how it not works: anime > socially awkward
This is how it is : socially awkward > anime
..
 
May 29, 2013 3:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2546
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
 
May 29, 2013 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 29, 2013 3:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
 
May 29, 2013 3:16 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
Maybe it's just from my experience. Outside of Japan, America is the most popular country for Anime, right?
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 29, 2013 3:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
Diran-kun said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
Maybe it's just from my experience. Outside of Japan, America is the most popular country for Anime, right?


Yes, it is, although I live in the UK (it's still popular over here).
 
May 29, 2013 3:30 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
Maybe it's just from my experience. Outside of Japan, America is the most popular country for Anime, right?
I live in the UK. No one is my area knows what Anime is but yet still assume things. The way I see it, you will always be judged.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 29, 2013 3:37 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 105
I believe it is up to the individual. I remember I refused to even say the word anime, because it was the "weird" kids did, until I gave it a chance and realized it was fantastic. But when it comes down too it people are extremely surprised when I tell them anime is my choice of killing time. I am a 6' 2", 200 lbs Marine. In reality just cause you watch anime it doesn't make you socially awkward, that is just something society has pressed into our head.
'Murica, fuck yeah!
 
May 29, 2013 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3309
Nope. But there are a lot of people that do associate these two unrelated things. Blame society.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
 
May 29, 2013 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 277
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.


Anime pretty much = hentai here, so yeah...




I'm pretty socially awkward, quite a lot actually. I've never had more than 2 friends
that i talked to regularly

be loner in pre-school(yes, even then) -> go to primary, have one friend -> go to middle and get depression from having 0 friends and people bullying me about anything they could ->recover and stop giving a shit

now I only go out for mountain biking alone and going to school, where I get mocked(jealousy from having good grades maybe? It's cool to be retarded here) and have 2 friends.

I kind of hate portugal right now...
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."
"Anon is legitimately retarded so you shouldn't be too proud of yourself." -Enema
 
May 29, 2013 4:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2439
afonsanho said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.


Anime pretty much = hentai here, so yeah...




I'm pretty socially awkward, quite a lot actually. I've never had more than 2 friends
that i talked to regularly

be loner in pre-school(yes, even then) -> go to primary, have one friend -> go to middle and get depression from having 0 friends and people bullying me about anything they could ->recover and stop giving a shit

now I only go out for mountain biking alone and going to school, where I get mocked and have 2 friends.

I kind of hate portugal now...


Yeah, there are still some people I know that share that ignorance, but they are a minority.

It really does break my heart hearing these stories about these sad experiences of childhood. I had one school year where it all went to shit, but I've been pretty happy otherwise. Have you ever considered trying to be more outgoing and friendly? If you're the type of person that just sits in the corner and does nothing, then you can't really expect anything other than what you've experienced.
 
May 29, 2013 4:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 4725
afonsanho said:


Anime pretty much = hentai here, so yeah...




I'm pretty socially awkward, quite a lot actually. I've never had more than 2 friends
that i talked to regularly

be loner in pre-school(yes, even then) -> go to primary, have one friend -> go to middle and get depression from having 0 friends and people bullying me about anything they could ->recover and stop giving a shit

now I only go out for mountain biking alone and going to school, where I get mocked(jealousy from having good grades maybe? It's cool to be retarded here) and have 2 friends.

I kind of hate portugal right now...


dude tell them assholes to piss off. you have to stand up for yourself. take up training in boxing maybe, so if it comes down to it, you can defend yourself and hopefully whoop their asses (most people nowadays cant even throw a proper punch). and even if you end up on the losing side, at least theyll know that youre not just gonna take shit.

there's nothing wrong with having "just" 2 friends either. 2 > 0, and i'd rather have 2 good friends than 20 bogus friends aka acquaintances. even if i had 0 friends, i wouldnt care lol. there is sorrow in loneliness, but glory in solitude.

this is all my opinion by the way

you can also ignore them, but i like my way better, especially if it's really bothering you. also, this may sound generic, but try not to worry about what other people think of you.
 
May 29, 2013 4:41 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
RandomChampion said:
afonsanho said:


Anime pretty much = hentai here, so yeah...




I'm pretty socially awkward, quite a lot actually. I've never had more than 2 friends
that i talked to regularly

be loner in pre-school(yes, even then) -> go to primary, have one friend -> go to middle and get depression from having 0 friends and people bullying me about anything they could ->recover and stop giving a shit

now I only go out for mountain biking alone and going to school, where I get mocked(jealousy from having good grades maybe? It's cool to be retarded here) and have 2 friends.

I kind of hate portugal right now...


dude tell them assholes to piss off. you have to stand up for yourself. take up training in boxing maybe, so if it comes down to it, you can defend yourself and hopefully whoop their asses (most people nowadays cant even throw a proper punch). and even if you end up on the losing side, at least theyll know that youre not just gonna take shit.

there's nothing wrong with having "just" 2 friends either. 2 > 0, and i'd rather have 2 good friends than 20 bogus friends aka acquaintances. even if i had 0 friends, i wouldnt care lol. there is sorrow in loneliness, but glory in solitude.

this is all my opinion by the way

you can also ignore them, but i like my way better, especially if it's really bothering you. also, this may sound generic, but try not to worry about what other people think of you.
lol
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 29, 2013 4:43 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 437
RandomChampion said:
there is sorrow in loneliness, but glory in solitude.


Mind if I frame this?

Really, there is nothing wrong with watching anime. However not everyone has the open mind to understand another's interests etc.
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
 
May 29, 2013 4:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2087
I'd be socially akward even if I wouldnt watch anime.
You're the one finding yourself socially akward anyway.If you can accept others as they are and they dont accept you how you are then there is a tiny bitsy problem.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
 
May 29, 2013 4:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 69
Society changes with time. You cant expect that when, for example, our 40+ years old parents or people generally, see you watching anime at your 20+ that they will accept it. Some will for sure, but for others u will be wierdo that still watches cartoons. They had fun doing other things , we have fun watching anime (and u must admit that there are way more anime with better plot that 70% of today tv shows). And as @RandomChampion said better have 2-3 real friends that bunch of random people around you. Keep on doing what makes you feel good.
Your story was bad. It was terrible, in fact. It was like that lame twilight bullshit. I have no patience for that crap. It’s not writing, it’s like bound toilet paper.
 
May 29, 2013 5:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12997
If you're not socially awkward, and you tell people you watch anime, then they won't think you're socially awkward.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
 
May 29, 2013 5:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 9984
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
spyrocoot said:
Diran-kun said:
Jauregui said:
If you are confident, show appropiate social skills and don't act like a retard just as weeabos do, then I'm sure people won't judge you even if they know your hobbies.
No. In the modern world, you will be judged no matter what you do.


Not necessarily. A lot of people IRL know I watch and enjoy anime, it hasn't affected how people treat me, so Jauregui has a point.
Maybe it's just from my experience. Outside of Japan, America is the most popular country for Anime, right?


Yes, it is, although I live in the UK (it's still popular over here).

Since when? You could have fooled me.
 
May 29, 2013 5:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5881
gamer2710 said:
Nope. But there are a lot of people that do associate these two unrelated things. Blame society.

I dunno... There is a correlation between the two. I noticed that the people at 150+ completed are kinda awkward to talk to.
 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »