Forum Settings
Forums
May 29, 2013 11:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 456
The fans.
 
May 29, 2013 12:40 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1
someone already said it basically but when a protagonist is constantly whiny and pessimistic it can make a show a real drag to watch.
 
May 29, 2013 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 19336
DYRE said:
Ghostony said:
Most guys aren't that pathetically dog-like in real life..

Anime is not real life.
But it's a fictitious representation of real life.
 
May 29, 2013 1:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 488
not following the manga for the worst.
 
May 29, 2013 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7923
-Things being animated before the source material is finished resulting in several forms of disaster
-Friggin' Recap Episodes. Do they think we all have ADD or Alzheimer's and can't remember what happened in a show we're following? Or last week even?
-Filler
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)
 
May 29, 2013 2:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
Worst thing about anime... I guess when people who know nothing about anime judge you because of the idea they get in your head.

Either that, or the fact some of them get kind of "slow" after a while... there's many anime I love, but I can't help but feel the majority just has this one, tiny little thing missing that I can't put my finger on... not sure if this is normal... I haven't been into other media in a while after all xD;;;
 
May 29, 2013 3:13 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1181
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.
 
May 29, 2013 3:14 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 955
I can't stand seeing my favourite characters (villains, usually) suffer or die. It makes me want to punch a baby or kick a dog.
 
May 29, 2013 3:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 702
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO.


Agreed, nearly every anime completely falls apart in the final act.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
 
May 29, 2013 3:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 505
Eckilsax said:
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO.


Agreed, nearly every anime completely falls apart in the final act.


Weirdly enough I agree with this. I've decided to not put too much stock into endings anymore. I now take most of my enjoyment from the middle of an anime.
 
May 29, 2013 3:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 702
It's like they think as long as everything ties up in a neat little bow, it doesn't matter at all how we get there or if it hangs together at all.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
 
May 29, 2013 3:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3310
Valkyrie_Wings said:
Eckilsax said:
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO.


Agreed, nearly every anime completely falls apart in the final act.


Weirdly enough I agree with this. I've decided to not put too much stock into endings anymore. I now take most of my enjoyment from the middle of an anime.
Huh. Now that I think about it, I can't remember more than a handful of anime with decent endings and/or last arcs despite having 100+ completed. No wonder I find it extremely difficult to rate something a 10/10.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
 
May 29, 2013 3:58 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 268
Overuse of moe and fanservice with a combination of harem, where the hottest girls in the whole damn world are in live with the weakest guy on the planet. Everything else is pretty much bearable.
 
May 29, 2013 4:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 15650
Recap episodes. Oh god what's the point of that episode? Well, that usually happens on long run anime and I rarely watch long run anime.


 
May 29, 2013 4:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3310
Tennouji_ said:
Recap episodes. Oh god what's the point of that episode? Well, that usually happens on long run anime and I rarely watch long run anime.
It's a complete disaster when it happens on standard 12-26 episode anime. It doesn't add anything, and it needlessly pushes the series back one week.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
 
May 29, 2013 4:51 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1761
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.

not saying any names here *cough* Naruto*cough*
 
May 29, 2013 4:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 702
gamer2710 said:
Tennouji_ said:
Recap episodes. Oh god what's the point of that episode? Well, that usually happens on long run anime and I rarely watch long run anime.
It's a complete disaster when it happens on standard 12-26 episode anime. It doesn't add anything, and it needlessly pushes the series back one week.


It's far from a disaster. You can just hit skip, or worse case scenario you have to wait a week. It's annoying yes, but harmless. Much worse is when an anime doesn't wrap up at all, ends in the middle of an arc, or ends in a completely rushed, half-assed manner. Which seems to be the industry norm. Now that's a disaster.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
 
May 29, 2013 4:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 702
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.


Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
 
May 29, 2013 6:00 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1181
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.


Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.


I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be Clannad and Shuffle! I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.
 
May 29, 2013 6:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 702
Kslate23 said:
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.


Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.


I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be <b>Clannad and Shuffle!</b> I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.


Please don't ever say Clannad and Shuffle in the same sentence... >.<

But I get what you're saying about Naruto. I would argue that multiple flashbacks in a single fight is just what Naruto does. It's been that way from the very first fight. I'd also say that a good 80% of the flashbacks in Naruto are integral to the characters. However I've never watched a single episode of the anime, I'm just going by the manga.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
 
May 29, 2013 6:41 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
Eckilsax said:
Kslate23 said:
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.


Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.


I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be <b>Clannad and Shuffle!</b> I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.


Please don't ever say Clannad and Shuffle in the same sentence... >.<

But I get what you're saying about Naruto. I would argue that multiple flashbacks in a single fight is just what Naruto does. It's been that way from the very first fight. I'd also say that a good 80% of the flashbacks in Naruto are integral to the characters. However I've never watched a single episode of the anime, I'm just going by the manga.
I think every flash back in Naruto was necessary. Without them, everything would be completely useless. However, like you, I mainly follow the Manga.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 30, 2013 10:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Ya Naruto abuses flashbacks. If I have to see the Naruto vs Sasuke fight one more time ima jump off a brige...
Common Sense Is Not So Common.

Message me for reccomendations or just to talk anime.
 
May 30, 2013 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
Gon_Killua said:
Ya Naruto abuses flashbacks. If I have to see the Naruto vs Sasuke fight one more time ima jump off a brige...
They haven't even fought that much. Without the flash backs, it would just be worthless and emotionless fighting.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 30, 2013 10:56 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1125
Diran-kun said:
Eckilsax said:
Kslate23 said:
Eckilsax said:
el_putazo said:
Kslate23 said:
I CANNOT STAND constant flashbacks that are used to fill up episodes.


Do you hate character development as well? Flashbacks can be overdone but they are rarely just filler.


I freaking love Character development but my shot was directed at Naruto (which I cannot marathon because the flashbacks are painful). If a writer is truly skilled he wouldn't need rely on flash backs almost at all if the emotional or psychological impact left by the plot was unforgettable. A few examples of that (my opinion of coarse) would be <b>Clannad and Shuffle!</b> I never forgot a single detail simply due to the immense character depth the Lead Protagonists possessed and how each person played a role in the story... My point summed up basically means... If the cast doesn't blow and the story never has a dull moment then the audience eats up that shit like visual crack and wont need reminders about what they saw 5 episodes ago.


Please don't ever say Clannad and Shuffle in the same sentence... >.<

But I get what you're saying about Naruto. I would argue that multiple flashbacks in a single fight is just what Naruto does. It's been that way from the very first fight. I'd also say that a good 80% of the flashbacks in Naruto are integral to the characters. However I've never watched a single episode of the anime, I'm just going by the manga.
I think every flash back in Naruto was necessary. Without them, everything would be completely useless. However, like you, I mainly follow the Manga.
the manga is filled with flashbacks and flashbacks IN a flashback lol.
 
May 30, 2013 10:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1538
Leapling said:
I can't stand seeing my favourite characters (villains, usually) suffer or die. It makes me want to punch a baby or kick a dog.


Wow, this guy seems like a tough dude, his favourite characters are usually villains, and he'd go as fare as kick a baby or a dog, he must be really hardcore, I wonder how i'ts like to be hardcore like him.
 
May 31, 2013 12:33 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 4
for me, i hate when characters don't end up with who i wanted them to. Ruins the whole series for me..but yah i have to agree with bad endings.
 
May 31, 2013 12:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 15770
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO. Worst ones are series that don't finish ie Hitman, ippo, D-grey man ( which was biggest let down in anime history). I don't read manga so it's a drag. Opinions?


I wouldn't call that "having a bad ending". I would call it "not having an ending"
 
May 31, 2013 12:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 52
Harem Ending
 
May 31, 2013 2:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 195
in long animes filler...
but in short anime i think,maybe sometimes their ending!
 
May 31, 2013 2:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7923
DYRE said:
Kruszer said:
-Friggin' Recap Episodes. Do they think we all have ADD or Alzheimer's and can't remember what happened in a show we're following? Or last week even?

I typically actually can't remember what happened a week ago in the anime I'm following. At least not until stuff in the current episode reminds me of it. I wish more anime would start out with a "Last time on <series>" thing so I don't spend the first couple minutes of each episode confused.


If an anime is not memorable, it means it's not worth watching. If I'm following a show it means I'm interested in it, and I'm going to care enough to remember the plot/character details. If I consistently can't it means it might be time to drop it.
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)
 
May 31, 2013 3:46 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 73
Endings. like D-gray Man, Berserk, Claymore. That are just left open and don't finish the series at all.
 
May 31, 2013 5:12 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 955
Chakaara said:
Leapling said:
I can't stand seeing my favourite characters (villains, usually) suffer or die. It makes me want to punch a baby or kick a dog.


Wow, this guy seems like a tough dude, his favourite characters are usually villains, and he'd go as fare as kick a baby or a dog, he must be really hardcore, I wonder how i'ts like to be hardcore like him.

I wonder what it's like to make so many mistakes in a sentence. Also, you might want to get yourself checked out sometime.. It's totally okay to be autistic, though! Be happy with who you are!

FYI, I'm a girl.
 
May 31, 2013 5:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10210
wuggums47 said:
The whole Moe Genre. K-ON! Lucky Star, etc. Take away the Moe from the show, and all you've got is crap. Here's my artists rendition of what K-ON would be without moe.

They are comedies. They have jokes, and stuff like that, you know.
 
May 31, 2013 6:49 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2324
jal90 said:
wuggums47 said:
The whole Moe Genre. K-ON! Lucky Star, etc. Take away the Moe from the show, and all you've got is crap. Here's my artists rendition of what K-ON would be without moe.

They are comedies. They have jokes, and stuff like that, you know.
This. All those shows would be awesome with or without moe. Especially Lucky Star. What's wrong with a tad of moe here and there?
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
 
May 31, 2013 6:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 657
When there is no story line or character development whatsoever..what's the point in watching?
When there's excessive fan service and when every single girl has absolutely massive boobs and no brain.
When a character becomes overpowered too quickly, it rapidly becomes very boring to watch.
When there is no originality..I'm going to get hate for this probably but as much as I enjoyed watching Fairy Tail, I couldn't help but think how it seems to have taken the most successful shounen elements and copied and reused them to churn out an extremely unoriginal and predictable show.
Modified by RDW, May 31, 2013 7:01 PM
 
May 31, 2013 7:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4273
The worst thing about anime to me is the fact that sequels and additional seasons can take years to happen.Another thing I dislike about anime is the fact there is a lot of incomplete series and OVAs.
 
May 31, 2013 7:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Sekirei and pure engagement good endings :D
Otaku~~!
 
May 31, 2013 7:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3007
The whole 'moe' genre is often if not always, accompanied with light-hearted themes such as, slice of life or comedy. All moe really is, is an art style and it works great with those light-hearted themes.
 
May 31, 2013 9:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55
Leapling said:
Chakaara said:
Leapling said:
I can't stand seeing my favourite characters (villains, usually) suffer or die. It makes me want to punch a baby or kick a dog.


Wow, this guy seems like a tough dude, his favourite characters are usually villains, and he'd go as fare as kick a baby or a dog, he must be really hardcore, I wonder how i'ts like to be hardcore like him.

I wonder what it's like to make so many mistakes in a sentence. Also, you might want to get yourself checked out sometime.. It's totally okay to be autistic, though! Be happy with who you are!

FYI, I'm a girl.


Settle down, you two.

Unnecessarily long shows. They referred to Schubert's symphonies with the phrase "heavenly length," due to their tendency to linger on and on. His longest symphony is about 1% as long as most anime series.

Overly digital looking art & animation.

Fanservice in shows with Freudian/Jungian meta-psychological-mumbo-jumbo, and vice-versa. Just silly. Fanservice in general, for that matter--let it die already.
 
May 31, 2013 10:44 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3087
Evil characters but truly a nothing but a sadistic & lunatic (?) really pisses me off.

IF he finally gets what he deserved like ended up dead horribly for good, I'll be happy.

But IF he end up alive or not cleared what happened to him/her, FML..

(Like Shidou Kouchi from HOTD, Ryosai from Magi Labyrinth of Magic, & etc... I want them dead for good. It's ashamed that I'll never forget about that happened).....
Modified by JafriZin, May 31, 2013 10:49 PM
 
May 31, 2013 10:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1238
The worst thing about anime is the over sexulization of it and the sheer amount of male members on this site with a little girl as their profile image giving everyone proof that anime is for weirdos.
 
Jun 1, 2013 12:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2248
Stupid cliches.
I luv u
 
Jun 1, 2013 12:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10415
pralan said:
Calling anime animes when anime is the prural

Came in to be a douchebag, but you said it first.
 
Jun 1, 2013 12:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2086
The Pandora Hearts original anime end was just straight up awful..
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."



 
Jun 1, 2013 2:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10210
Diran-kun said:
jal90 said:
wuggums47 said:
The whole Moe Genre. K-ON! Lucky Star, etc. Take away the Moe from the show, and all you've got is crap. Here's my artists rendition of what K-ON would be without moe.

They are comedies. They have jokes, and stuff like that, you know.
This. All those shows would be awesome with or without moe. Especially Lucky Star. What's wrong with a tad of moe here and there?

Aside from that, and specially with Lucky Star which doesn't even rely that much on being moe (it even has the structure of a sketch comedy); did wuggums47 just say that these shows are not crap because of moe? So moe is good after all?

scabab said:
The worst thing about anime is the over sexulization of it and the sheer amount of male members on this site with a little girl as their profile image giving everyone proof that anime is for weirdos.

At least you should have a profile image that helped to your cause.
 
Jun 1, 2013 2:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 841
Gon_Killua said:
The endings are usually brutally bad IMO. Worst ones are series that don't finish ie Hitman, ippo, D-grey man ( which was biggest let down in anime history). I don't read manga so it's a drag. Opinions?


This is the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. Good to know the MAL community hasn't let me down in that department.
 
Jun 1, 2013 3:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3100
When you know what will happen next, pfft, so predictable...
 
Jun 1, 2013 4:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 185
Bad English
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
 
Jun 1, 2013 4:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4753
Fanservice done wrong. Example:

 
Jun 1, 2013 4:40 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 1397
the weaboos
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »