Forum Settings
Forums

top anime that can be use as suplemantrey tools to aiid you in teaching yourself Japanese

New
May 28, 2013 2:43 AM
Mar 2011
inspired by this blog post

http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=48750

i come up with this list of anime that can be used as tools to Learning Japanese
not numberd or any thing and to some extent this count for the manga counter parts as well
and bofre you say all of these are Kodomo anime simple Language is needed amd not all of them are
Jarinko Chie
Doraemon
Shin Chan
Instant History
Sazae San
Maruko Chan
Danchi Tomoo
DateYutakaJun 5, 2013 2:45 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 28, 2013 2:59 AM

Apr 2011
DateYutaka said:
list

And that is why this thread would get locked. All in all, good thread. Just make sure you explain why, otherwise this would be a simple listing thread, won't it?

Here's a few of mine:
An anime that isn't filled with dialogue, but still has quite a few of them would a good anime for learning Japanese, I think. Say, for instance, something like Usagi Drop, maybe? Or something that is filled with dialogue may also be very helpful, albeit a bit more difficult to understand, since it would be littered with words. Example: the Monogatari series.
May 28, 2013 3:05 AM
Mar 2011
Al anime llisted are very much usfull cause the fact they ouse over all simple Language and words witch are day to day word in Japanese no genre words [ very Important[and of Manga counter parts there is no there is no Kanji that is above Grade 7 of Kanji Proficiency Test]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 28, 2013 3:25 AM

May 2013
You can't rely on anime/manga to learn Japanese, though.
May 28, 2013 3:26 AM

Jun 2007
You can't even write a sentence properly, Date. Nobody should trust your advice on learning a language. You've been on ENGLISH ONLY FORUMS for a VERY long time now and still don't know basics of the language after seeing and reading tens of thousands of English posts. Plus, it's a fact that using anime to learn Japanese is amazingly retarded - unless you use it as a VERY SMALL supplement to actual learning resources, as it can work as some listening practice, but nothing else and not as good as other material.

Also, anime characters rarely speak naturally, so that's another reason anime is a bad learning source even for small listening practice.
TallonKarrde23May 28, 2013 3:30 AM
May 28, 2013 3:31 AM

Feb 2008
Leapling said:

How? You learn the language by being exposed to it. I did learn new stuff from just watching raws.

Also Pokemon is fairly simple.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 28, 2013 3:33 AM
Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
You can't even write a sentence properly, Date. Nobody should trust your advice on learning a language. You've been on ENGLISH ONLY FORUMS for a VERY long time now and still don't know basics of the language after seeing and reading tens of thousands of English posts. Plus, it's a fact that using anime to learn Japanese is amazingly retarded - unless you use it as a VERY SMALL supplement to actual learning resources, as it can work as some listening practice, but nothing else and not as good as other material.

Also, anime characters rarely speak naturally, so that's another reason anime is a bad learning source even for small listening practice.

read the blog post

May 28, 2013 3:37 AM

Jun 2007
DateYutaka said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

read the blog post

His source is a fansubber - fansubs are hardly accurate when they aren't stealing scripts from CrunchyRoll or properly educated translators. I stopped reading there. Of course someone who knows no Japanese would think "this guy translates anime he must know Japanese" - even though this is actually not the case much of the time, and MANY professional translators have actually even stated as much about the fansubbing/scanlating community (those who are also cool enough to still pirate things). The majority of shit pumped out by these groups is inaccurate, made up, or assumed based on context and a few words they pick up - and/or stealing from other groups, stealing from official sources, etc. Hell, you - SUPPOSEDLY knowing Japanese - should know this well if you watch a few episodes of English fansubbed anime. It's hardly accurate because it's hardly done by people who know Japanese. They can, at most, pick up a few words and go from that - making up the majority of the rest.

This is not knowing a language.
May 28, 2013 3:37 AM

May 2013
ZetaZaku said:
Leapling said:

How? You learn the language by being exposed to it. I did learn new stuff from just watching raws.

Can you write/read/speak Japanese properly? Recognizing a few words from anime doesn't count.
May 28, 2013 3:40 AM

Apr 2011
Leapling said:
ZetaZaku said:
Leapling said:

Can you write/read/speak Japanese properly? Recognizing a few words from anime doesn't count.

The first thing about learning a language would be to learn it's grammar. Anime can help there. Other than that, it's all about adding to your vocabulary, where anime can also help. Still, it's a very long and mundane task to try to learn a language purely by anime.
May 28, 2013 3:43 AM
Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
DateYutaka said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

read the blog post

His source is a fansubber - fansubs are hardly accurate when they aren't stealing scripts from CrunchyRoll or properly educated translators. I stopped reading there. Of course someone who knows no Japanese would think "this guy translates anime he must know Japanese" - even though this is actually not the case much of the time, and MANY professional translators have actually even stated as much about the fansubbing/scanlating community (those who are also cool enough to still pirate things). The majority of shit pumped out by these groups is inaccurate, made up, or assumed based on context and a few words they pick up - and/or stealing from other groups, stealing from official sources, etc. Hell, you - SUPPOSEDLY knowing Japanese - should know this well if you watch a few episodes of English fansubbed anime. It's hardly accurate because it's hardly done by people who know Japanese. They can, at most, pick up a few words and go from that - making up the majority of the rest.

This is not knowing a language.

hello im am Japanese and i made this list to help people Learn Japanese cooptively with real study i sould have mentioned that right.

i also help run an eng laguage Stream site that has eng dubs on there and from what i can tell there very much mistranslated compare the anime the subbed anime i saw on the site

and did i say view the anime lasted subbed nope i did not
DateYutakaMay 28, 2013 3:47 AM

May 28, 2013 3:47 AM

Jun 2007
DateYutaka said:

hello im am Japanese and i made this list to help people Learn Japanese cooptively with real study i sould have mentioned that right.

i also help run an eng laguage Stream site that has eng dubs on there and from what i can tell there very much mistranslated compare the anime the subbed anime i saw on the site

1. Your English is far too shitty to be believably just 'bad' or a secondary or even like fifth language. WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS. No matter what, you would know periods exist and not to RANDOMLY PRESS THE SPACE BAR 30 FUCKING TIMES BETWEEN WORDS - which you've proven to know by NOT ALWAYS DOING IT, yet you still randomly do, which proves it's on purpose. Which, in turn, proves you're just doing it all knowingly - not because you don't know the language.

2. I will never believe you're Japanese, I talk to plenty of people from there and you are very much the epitome of "white kid from Kentucky trying to troll". WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS.

3. Let's say you are Japanese. This is irrelevant to knowing how to learn the language as a foreigner - it actually means your input is LESS relevant than a foreigners input because they know how to learn it from that point of view. A Japanese doesn't get educated in the language remotely the same way as someone not natively speaking it.

I have made a post in another thread outlining some of the best options to learn Japanese for non-native speakers. Watching anime is not one of those options. It's fucking stupid and will actually make you learn the langauge;
1. WRONG
2. WRONG
3. WRONG
4. SHITTILY
5. ILLITERATELY
6. WRONG
7. WRONG
8. WRONG
9. WRONG
10. AT BEST, LIKE A SMALL CHILD WHEN SPEAKING - AND UNABLE TO READ OR WRITE

Using anime as primary learning source will actually make it HARDER to learn the language. Please stop encouraging people to ruin things for themselves.
TallonKarrde23May 28, 2013 3:51 AM
May 28, 2013 3:50 AM
Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
DateYutaka said:

1. Your English is far too shitty to be believably just 'bad' or a secondary or even like fifth language. WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS. No matter what, you would know periods exist and not to RANDOMLY PRESS THE SPACE BAR 30 FUCKING TIMES BETWEEN WORDS.

2. I will never believe you're Japanese, I talk to plenty of people from there and you are very much the epitome of "white kid from Kentucky trying to troll". WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS.

3. Let's say you are Japanese. This is irrelevant to knowing how to learn the language as a foreigner - it actually means your input is LESS relevant than a foreigners input because they know how to learn it from that point of view. A Japanese doesn't get educated in the language remotely the same way as someone not natively speaking it.

note i say use these side by side with real study.
i geet the education of Japanese is not the same in the West as it is in Japan

i go by what i see with english i dont speak it i understand enought to Translate in my head back to Japanese and then type best i can in English back to people
DateYutakaMay 28, 2013 3:53 AM

May 28, 2013 3:51 AM

May 2013
yhunata said:
Leapling said:
ZetaZaku said:
Leapling said:

The first thing about learning a language would be to learn it's grammar. Anime can help there. Other than that, it's all about adding to your vocabulary, where anime can also help. Still, it's a very long and mundane task to try to learn a language purely by anime.

Its*

The Japanese that is spoken in anime is far from formal. Unless you want to sound like an idiot, don't use any of your mediocre knowledge of Japanese when you're trying to speak to a native speaker.

There are around 2000+ jōyō kanji, how are you going to learn those by watching anime?
May 28, 2013 3:52 AM
Feb 2013
You shouldn't try to learn Japanese from an anime.
May 28, 2013 3:53 AM

May 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

I have made a post in another thread outlining some of the best options to learn Japanese for non-native speakers. Watching anime is not one of those options. It's fucking stupid and will actually make you learn the langauge;
1. WRONG
2. WRONG
3. WRONG
4. SHITTILY
5. ILLITERATELY
6. WRONG
7. WRONG
8. WRONG
9. WRONG
10. AT BEST, LIKE A SMALL CHILD WHEN SPEAKING - AND UNABLE TO READ OR WRITE

Using anime as primary learning source will actually make it HARDER to learn the language. Please stop encouraging people to ruin things for themselves.

This is so true.
May 28, 2013 3:57 AM
Mar 2011
Leapling said:
yhunata said:
Leapling said:
ZetaZaku said:
Leapling said:

Its*

The Japanese that is spoken in anime is far from formal. Unless you want to sound like an idiot, don't use any of your mediocre knowledge of Japanese when you're trying to speak to a native speaker.

There are around 2000+ jōyō kanji, how are you going to learn those by watching anime?

this was not about getting some one grade one Proficiency test grade as i said grade 7 at highest that JLPT 5 i would think
if that

and i also said read the manga counterparts to try and read the Kanji

DateYutakaMay 28, 2013 4:02 AM

May 28, 2013 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:

What the hell are you talking about ? it's impossible to learn Japanese grammar from anime the best you can learn from anime is vocabulary nothing more nothing less. Anyone who honestly think he can learn Japanese from anime is a giant weeaboo.
May 28, 2013 4:07 AM

Jul 2012
So much hate in this thread
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 28, 2013 4:11 AM
Mar 2011
this was not about getting someone a Grade 1 as iv said three times here and in more detail in other places there is very few people year on year who get Grade 1 Proficiency test Pass do what is said here will get you up to grade 7 at best [ that is all]

May 28, 2013 4:12 AM

May 2012
I guess Hentai is the most simple one to begin with obviously
May 28, 2013 4:15 AM

Mar 2012
>Using anime to learn Japanese
May 28, 2013 4:21 AM
Mar 2011
here is a Useful Chart for you Kanji Proficiency vs JLPT
Grade 10 Kanji Proficiency
Grade Nine Kanji Proficiency
Grade 8 Kanji Proficiency [ borderline JPLT 5]
Grade 7 Kanji Proficiency [ JLPT 4/5]
Grade 6 Kanji Proficiency[ 3/2 JLPT]
grade 5 Kanji Proficiency[ 1 JLPT]

Grade 4 Kanji Proficiency [ if one in lucky in the west this i as High as you would go]

May 28, 2013 4:43 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
yhunata said:

What the hell are you talking about ? it's impossible to learn Japanese grammar from anime the best you can learn from anime is vocabulary nothing more nothing less. Anyone who honestly think he can learn Japanese from anime is a giant weeaboo.

I meant the sentence formation.

Leapling said:
yhunata said:
Leapling said:
ZetaZaku said:
Leapling said:

Its*

Since I was writing "it is", yes, "it's" is the correct version there. And again, by grammar, I meant sentence formation. As in order verb, object and subject (not sure, is it subject or what else?).

I never said anything about writing, by the way.
May 28, 2013 4:45 AM

Dec 2012
Ehh? Sentence formation ? give an example.
May 28, 2013 4:48 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
Ehh? Sentence formation ? give an example.

As in "I eat bread" would be said "I Bread eat" in Japanese (watashiwa pan o tabemasu). That kind of sentence formation.
May 28, 2013 11:27 PM

May 2009
It's not totally useless since it's more of a supplement of sorts.

Manga University books can help with some of those kanji since it's more fun and entertaining.
May 29, 2013 12:20 AM

Jun 2007
MANY professional translators have actually even stated as much about the fansubbing/scanlating community (those who are also cool enough to still pirate things). The majority of shit pumped out by these groups is inaccurate, made up, or assumed based on context and a few words they pick up - and/or stealing from other groups, stealing from official sources, etc. Hell, you - SUPPOSEDLY knowing Japanese - should know this well if you watch a few episodes of English fansubbed anime. It's hardly accurate because it's hardly done by people who know Japanese. They can, at most, pick up a few words and go from that - making up the majority of the rest.
And how much Japanese knowledge do you have to base all this on? Don't you think professional translators (many of them former fansubbers themselves) wouldn't have a vested interest in shooting down their pirate competition by any means necessary?

Sure, there'll always be the utter crap groups like AnimeJunkies, Serin, Your-Mom, (early) Chihiro, and Hadena, and I guess you can cherrypick them till the cows come home. But most surviving fansubs, i.e. the commonly-considered "best versions," from the pre-CR ~2003-2009 era are mostly accurate. (Particularly in 2008 when transport streams with Japanese closed-captioning became available, since that was almost as good as having the scripts.) Sure, they weren't perfect, as mishears or deliberate rewrites did occur. Song lyrics were often incorrect until the CD singles come out, due to incomprehensible Engrish or dearth of context. And many fansubs' English was more literal than I or others have preferred, though that doesn't make it wrong. But the "picked up a few words here and there, mostly made-up" types of releases are nowhere near as prevalent as you think. And I say this as a fansubber who's learned Japanese (to a large degree, anyway) from a mix of anime and other more traditional sources.

However, I would recommend using official subs to anyone attempting to pick up some Japanese from anime, since they minimize the risk of mishears, guesslations, and rewrites/trolling. Aside from shows aimed at younger audiences, I'd say the best choices are school/romance series with modern/real-world settings, as they tend to re-use and reinforce the same range of vocabulary. Avoid anything with excessive technical/military dialogue, anything set in older times with historic/archaic dialogue, and anything where non-standard dialects are the norm.

And of course, as others have said, don't rely on anime alone for learning -- seek out standard educational audio/video/print materials and websites to learn grammar and all that other "boring" stuff.
Jun 5, 2013 1:50 PM
Jul 2010
DateYutaka said:

i come up with this list of anime that can be used as tools to Learning Japanese
Instant History

Instant History? Really? I always thought that this was a lost anime, and that the only image known to have survived is a screenshot posted on Animemorial. That's why all anime information sites like ANN, Anidb and MAL use the same image: it's the only one that exists. And it seems I'm not the only one who has not been able to find a thing about this anime: even anime historian and researcher Helen McCarthy, author of The Anime Encyclopedia was only able to find "a few title cards" as explained in her article "Lost Anime: Fragments of Time".

I went and took a look at your anime list to make sure that you were not talking about a different title and indeed this is the series you have in your complete list. And not only that, other users like Tsutaee also claim to have completed this anime! Since you are even recommending it to other people as a language learning tool, I suppose the anime has somehow made available to anyone, even foreigners. So my question is: where did you watch it? Where can I find it?
Jun 5, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2013
Leapling said:
this.. anime manga can enhance the learning xp but you can't base all your knowledge of japanese language on them alone. For example, I can recognize many words in japanese and know their meaning, but when a Japanese person speaks to me, I don't understand anything (I'm taking Japanese classes this summer fyi)
Jun 5, 2013 3:51 PM

Apr 2012
DateYutaka said:
inspired by this blog post

http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=48750

not numberd or any thing and to some extent this count for the manga counter parts as well
and bofre you say all of these are Kodomo anime simple Language is needed amd not all of them are
Jarinko Chie
Doraemon
Shin Chan
Instant History
Sazae San
Maruko Chan
Danchi Tomoo

I've been watching (and reading) Doraemon, Shinchan, and Chibi Maruko-chan dubbed or not since a long time ago, it didn't really helped me though.
SuntearsJun 5, 2013 4:05 PM
Jun 5, 2013 4:12 PM

Aug 2012
How can I trust this thread and, more importantly, this:
DateYutaka said:
from what i can tell there [English dubs] very much mistranslated compare the anime the subbed anime i saw on the site
when you can't even write up a good English sentence?
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 5, 2013 4:44 PM

Oct 2012
Watching anime would only help learning Japanese if it was raw with Japanese subtitles. With their more casual and applicable settings, I think one would be better served finding variety shows to watch. Of course, the first step in my opinion, is familiarizing yourself with children's books, and being able to read them fluently. Having to follow dialogue in real-time would be undoubtedly frustrating for anyone who can't read read with decent speed, or is already decently familiar with Japanese sentence structure.

Personally, I'm at around 450 Kanji with On/Kun readings memorized, but I'm starting to realize that while memorizing Kanji takes a fair bit of time, it isn't really effective for preparing one to output by itself (obviously). I would still advocate memorizing Kanji ASAP, especially if you're a self-learner and don't have much access to Japanese immersion besides reading. However, at some point one does have to start utilizing this knowledge. I think when I reach 500 Kanji, I'm going to start focusing on vocab words and piecing together sentences using these words. The idea is that I would have enough words to create actually meaningful sentences in Japanese, which allows me to attempt to think in Japanese while doing everyday tasks. This, in my opinion, or at least my conception of how to learn a language, might be essential. Going straight to output without knowing a good bit of vocabulary would probably be frustrating and counter-productive.

If anyone wants to talk about learning Japanese, shoot me a message or something.

Edit: Even kodomo manga have a good bit of Kanji and vocabulary that would be very frustrating if you had to look up every single word. A few weeks ago, it took me an hour to go through 1 page of Doraemon. I am now at the point where I can understand most of the Kanji used, and some of the vocabulary, although sentence structure is still a weakness. I wouldn't suggest anyone trying to learn Japanese to jump straight into manga without knowing at least 500-1000 words in Japanese or something.
katsucatsJun 5, 2013 4:50 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 22, 2013 12:45 PM
Aug 2012
oh ma god, why would anyone use anime to study O.O
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Jun 22, 2013 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
muntasir123 said:
oh ma god, why would anyone use anime to study O.O

We should keep in mind that this is Enjolras1830 we are dealing with.
Jun 22, 2013 12:54 PM
Feb 2012
Did OP mean to say Sup Le Man Trey, what's good gucci?
Jun 22, 2013 2:31 PM
Aug 2012
LimeSlate said:
Did OP mean to say Sup Le Man Trey, what's good gucci?

probably
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Jun 22, 2013 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
If you're a toddler then yes, you can learn japanese from anime.
Jun 22, 2013 2:41 PM
May 2010
You can learn to understand a great deal of what is being said by watching anime, but learning to actually speak it properly is a whole different story..
Worships Asparagus.
Jun 22, 2013 3:18 PM

Sep 2012
You can not learn proper Japanese from anime. At most, you can pick up a few words that get thrown around a lot like "teme," "kawaii," "baka," "hentai," and a few select other words that I swear I hear in like every other anime. Hell, sitting in a Japanese class in high school for just one year will teach you more Japanese than you ever have or will pick up from anime.

I'd also like to add that anime uses a lot of informal language and slang. You will most likely learn the informal or rude way of speaking before you ever pick up on the polite way of speaking from watching anime. I know some people say you can learn from anime, but I just don't buy it.

To me, it'd be like if some non-English speaker tried to learn English from American TV. Worse yet, from reality shows like Jersey Shore. Oh god, I shudder thinking about it.

Jun 22, 2013 3:31 PM
Aug 2012
^
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Jun 22, 2013 4:34 PM

Apr 2012
I don't see why it's harmful to use anime as a supplementary tool to teach yourself Japanese. I've taken 4 semesters of college Japanese but I lost motivation T_T....... Kanji is a fucking bitch I'll tell you that much though I wasn't completely oblivious to kanji when i first started learning because I did learn how to write some basic Chinese when I was a kid.I might even say learning and memorizing kanji is a life long commitment. I use to play raws just to see if I can pick up on what they are saying. It helped me some what with the auditory exams.
zzzeallyJun 22, 2013 4:37 PM

Jun 22, 2013 4:47 PM

Jan 2013
lmao fail weeaboo thread. Why learn Japanese anyways? Just for anime? Learn something for real world use that you can use for your career. If that's the case with Japanese then fine, but trying to learn it to watch anime and because you have an inferiority complex is laughable.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 22, 2013 4:49 PM

Oct 2012
MajinSaga said:
lmao fail weeaboo thread. Why learn Japanese anyways? Just for anime? Learn something for real world use that you can use for your career. If that's the case with Japanese then fine, but trying to learn it to watch anime and because you have an inferiority complex is laughable.

WeabooSaga, how did you learn, "Majin"?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 22, 2013 4:50 PM
Aug 2012
^^lol thats a good point

I dont think its bad as supplementary if your super bored or something, but rather using a textbook in that time rather than watching anime would probably be a better idea if your still learning :/.
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Jun 22, 2013 5:07 PM
Feb 2012
MajinSaga said:

I wouldn't be talking Mr. Japanese word in my name.

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

13 by DigiCat »»
10 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

20 by Lhundrup »»
39 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

37 by Lockensocke »»
46 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

30 by IpreferEcchi »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.