Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 27, 2013 2:29 PM
Nov 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
morrownight said:

Ledo's transformation is simply not convincing.

What exactly is unconvincing about it?

Consider the Alliance and its cause, and what place it actually has in forming Ledo's character. Many of you are quick to label the Alliance as a utilitarian military state (as if this was inherently evil)

Utilitarian military states are inherently evil. Throughout all of human history there has not been a single instance of a utilitarian military state that respected human life, guaranteed civil rights, or ensured the greater prosperity of it's citizens. Go to live in a concentration camp in North Korea and tell me that a utilitarian military state is not inherently evil. In fact, just watch the documentary: Kimjongillia. The Alliance shows all the hallmarks of a horror state.

the Hideauze as a family of peace-loving creatures who just happen to be dispersed throughout space, minding their own business and doing their thing, like the snails that are constantly raiding people's backyards.

No, I think most people, myself included, are just pretty suspicious of the Alliance and therefore don't buy the idea that the Hideauze are an alien species hellbent on the singular destruction of humanity. Why would they be so intent on annihilating humans? What purpose could that war serve them? Without clear answers, I refuse to just jump into accepting the propaganda from a police state that gets served to their soldiers. Especially when counter-evidence exists: the whale-squids on earth show no sign of overt hostility toward humans. Ledo's explanation for why is weak and illogical. I'm more convinced that the Hideauze are simply responding to human aggression than hunting down humanity.

Would you forsake pest control?

I've seen no clear evidence that the Hideauze are not sentient. I would certainly forsake "pest control" if the "pests" were sentient creatures.

The way people antagonize the Alliance and utilitarianism in general is deeply rooted in their belief systems, which is shaped by their political environments. This is why I compared this show to Shingeki. There are two types of people in this world: those who join the Police Corps and those who join the Recon Corps. Contrary to what it may seem, I am not advocating joining the Recon Corps. I am saying that both are perfectly reasonable and recurring states of human existence. Neither one is INHERENTLY evil; they are the result of nature .

The comparison is pretty weak. I assume that you're thinking of the people in the Alliance as Recon Corps members, and the Gargantians as Police Corps members? Except the Titans in SnK are hellbent on the destruction of humanity. They show no signs of sentience. There is no way to peacefully coexist with them. It is kill or be killed. We have NO evidence that this is the case with the Hideauze and actually posses evidence to the contrary. And of course people's opinions on the Alliance are based on their belief systems. I happen to hold the belief that slaughtering children because they are sick or crippled is pretty heinous and unacceptable no matter what the cost of maintaining them would be. Most people in the civilized, modern world would agree.

So as you can see, my distaste for this show has nothing to do with the lack of action. It is because I do not find it a satisfactory argument for world peace. It does not make an argument at all, even; it simply assumes that peace and co-existence is the correct path for humanity, which makes it impossible to justify Ledo's place in this society. And that was the whole point of the show.

How do you come to that conclusion? Bellows clearly states that there are times when fighting is necessary. No one so far in the entire show has given any indication of a pacifist belief system. They prefer peace and co-existence... most sane people do. They see peace and co-existence as the desirable ultimate goal... most sane people do. I think you're pretty off-base by saying that the whole point of the show is to argue for pacifism. I think you've missed the real point of the show: a young soldier dealing with the end of his war.

Andrew729 said:
Interesting to see how a lot of debate has split along political lines, and all the right-wingers using this as a soapbox to bash pacifism and "hippies". (Yeah, I went "there". I'm not sorry.)

I am about as right-wing as you can get. Please don't assume things.

XartaX said:
I mean someone just said that having the Gargantians ask Ledo for background info on the galactic civilization would be forced exposition... Yeah it's totally unnatural to ask the visiting alien (when you don't even have the technology to breach the stratosphere) about his origins when he's friendly.

They have discussed his origins with him, and it is implied that more discussion occured off-screen. The problem I have with too much of that simply for the sake of revealing back-story information for the viewer is that:

1) Ledo has no real information about the Alliance except for his war-knowledge. He has never been to the home-base of humanity. He is not a government official. He is a seventeen year old soldier who has been in the military his entire life. He doesn't have information to give them other than what he already did give them.

2) It is irrelevant to the plot and story. The story is about Ledo on Gargantia, not the Alliance vs. the Hideauze.

3) Any time where people discuss things for no other reason than to highlight information for the audience that is, by definition, forced exposition. One should almost always avoid forced exposition in story-telling.

I'm with you on most of this. Sorry if I offended you politically, but, heh, you probably are familiar with all the posts bashing the Gargantians as pacifistic "ocean hippies".

As I said before, Gen doesn't seem to think too highly of utilitarianism. In that sense, the Alliance is probably this show's equivalent of Kyubey and Sybil (or rather, whoever came up with the idea for Sybil and designed it; I really wish Psycho-Pass would've covered that). Kyubey wasn't evil per se; he just saw a solution to a problem and decided to solve it in the most efficient way possible, no matter how much suffering and destruction it caused.

Given Gen's tradition of utilitarian antagonists, I have to believe the Alliance has similar motives. At the same time, I share your belief that humanity probably also started the initial conflict or created the Hideauze somehow. Of course, a lot of anime and other sci-fi material have followed similar plotlines; it would be interesting if I'm proven completely wrong. That's why I'm watching.
May 27, 2013 2:48 PM

Mar 2012
Andrew729 said:

I'm with you on most of this. Sorry if I offended you politically, but, heh, you probably are familiar with all the posts bashing the Gargantians as pacifistic "ocean hippies".

As I said before, Gen doesn't seem to think too highly of utilitarianism. In that sense, the Alliance is probably this show's equivalent of Kyubey and Sybil (or rather, whoever came up with the idea for Sybil and designed it; I really wish Psycho-Pass would've covered that). Kyubey wasn't evil per se; he just saw a solution to a problem and decided to solve it in the most efficient way possible, no matter how much suffering and destruction it caused.

Given Gen's tradition of utilitarian antagonists, I have to believe the Alliance has similar motives. At the same time, I share your belief that humanity probably also started the initial conflict or created the Hideauze somehow. Of course, a lot of anime and other sci-fi material have followed similar plotlines; it would be interesting if I'm proven completely wrong. That's why I'm watching.
Oh don't get me wrong, you didn't offend me at all. And I see your point about the "criticisms" people give against the Gargantians being rhetorically similar to right-wing positions. I prefer to think of them more as caricatures of true right-wing philosophy, but I digress.

I actually haven't seen Psycho-Pass or any othe Gen work besides Phantom (I think he did Phantom), but I have to say that I am absolutely with him on being anti-utilitarianism. And thus far, the show has actually given a very good argument against it in the form of Bevel. His question to Ledo was excellent, and further was posed in a very believable way: "What happens when the war ends?" It is exactly the type of question a child would ask, and exactly the question that pokes the holes in the Alliance's philosophy.

My theory is that the Hideauze were attacked by the Alliance as a way to start a war. Utilitarian, militaristic societies all have one thing in common: they can only survive if they are in a constant state of war. When there is no enemy, the state must create an enemy. Otherwise there would be no purpose to the continuation of the utilitarianism and militarism. A lot of Sci-Fi has dealt with those kinds of themes, and for good reason. Human history (and even our modern world) is full of examples of societies just like the Alliance. Societies where war is the ultimate purpose and the ultimate end for all human interaction and existence. It's a theme of humanity and society that resonates deep to our cores.

Bevel's question could most accurately be answered by saying: "The war will never end" or perhaps, "When the war ends, we will start a new one." That is the ultimate danger of Ledo's actions: he is risking being the cause of the very thing he is trying to prevent. If he starts a war with the whale-squids, he will turn Gargantia into the Alliance. I could be totally wrong, but it seems that the overall, central theme of the show is anti-utilitarianism and more generally, anti-totalitarianism. This is shown through Ledo and his growth.

To be honest, Ledo is a very realistic portrayal of a child-soldier who has grown up in a society that is entirely based and rooted in war. He is cold, logical, rigid, unoriginal in thought and action, and he has no respect for human life. In a normal society, under normal circumstances, we would call him a monster. Good for nothing but the elimination of life. However, he is torn from his "Sparta" and put in a place of peace and freedom. He is given the chance to be another person. He is slowly becoming less cold, more emotional, more flexible. He's show sparks of originality, and is beginning formulating his own desires and beliefs. He is showing rebelliousness to his authority, and is showing curiosity. He now respects human life for it's own sake and not just it's worth to the continuation of the State. And he is beginning to love. He shows regret over his brother who was eliminated. He shows regret in leaving Amy and Bevel.

So far, the show has been amazing in it's depth concerning Ledo and his slow transformation and healing.
Let's go bowling.
May 27, 2013 2:58 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty sad episode. :(

A lot has changed as well. We're already eight episodes in, so I wonder who they'll be following from now on and if they'll meet each other again in the coming episodes. Something tells me the fleet will rejoin Gargantia again before long.

May 27, 2013 3:14 PM

Dec 2009
Ledo is finally leaving that ball of losers. Let's hope the show gets good now.
May 27, 2013 3:36 PM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
Utilitarian military states are inherently evil. Throughout all of human history there has not been a single instance of a utilitarian military state that respected human life, guaranteed civil rights, or ensured the greater prosperity of it's citizens.

Uhm, until 1776 there wasn't ANY form of government that did that. Of course today democracy is preferable to a military state, but there are plenty of scenarios where you would beg for the stability of a "utilitarian military state". Charlemagne sure beat being attacked by the Saxons, Sparta never bowed to Phillip. If the Hideauze actually were pushing the Alliance to the brink of extinction, then a utilitarian military state far from being evil could be an unqualified good.

StopDropAndBowl said:
Why would they be so intent on annihilating humans? What purpose could that war serve them?

Ever see squids eat? Be careful with your arms if you ever see a Humboldt Squid.

StopDropAndBowl said:
the whale-squids on earth show no sign of overt hostility toward humans.
Have you seen the teeth on those suckers (literally). I would not want to be in the water unprotected from them. Given their size, a human would make a tasty morsel.

StopDropAndBowl said:
I happen to hold the belief that slaughtering children because they are sick or crippled is pretty heinous and unacceptable no matter what the cost of maintaining them would be. Most people in the civilized, modern world would agree.

Only because we live in a world without scarcity. Read up on what happens during famines. It is not a pretty picture. Oh, though I am agnostic, one of the amazing accomplishments of Christianity is that it stamped out "death by exposure" which was very prevalent in the Roman empire.

StopDropAndBowl said:
How do you come to that conclusion? Bellows clearly states that there are times when fighting is necessary. No one so far in the entire show has given any indication of a pacifist belief system.

The whole, lets not kill the pirates was sort of a indication of this, and Amy certainly has that viewpoint. But you are right the show hasn't explicitly made that point, but that sort of plays into Morrow's view that this show is avoiding these questions.

StopDropAndBowl said:
a young soldier dealing with the end of his war.
It ain't over yet. He may not be able to return to the alliance, but the war isn't over for him, he knows that people are fighting out there for him. To pretend that its "over" for him is ridiculous, only ignorant people can believe that, not people who know what is going on. Just because one "can't" do something doesn't mean that they should forget about it.

Your first point was very good, however your second point isn't. If the Alliance was irrelevant then they could have made it clear in episode 2 or 3 that he couldn't return home. Waiting until episode 8 is a pretty clear indication that the Alliance is very relevant, otherwise the writer created a huge anti-climatic scene which would only cause the audience disappointment. That is bad writing. Your third point is generally true, however when you are talking about pretty important parts of the plot forced exposition sure beats nothing. Also, it would help if the writer didn't throw out things you think are going to be important, and then never mention them again.
May 27, 2013 3:36 PM

Nov 2012
xAvengerx said:
Anybody know how far the manga of Suisei no Gargantia is? Hoping a season 2 is scheduled for this fall/winter.

Actually, I've heard that it doesn't have a manga and it's a show that's been produced only for on-screen purposes. But I searched it up a little and on the two manga websites that I visited, only the very first chapter (which is the entire first episode) was posted. The second chapter or any following it have not been posted. One site also hinted at a 'Suisei no Gargantia 2', but I'm not quite sure about that so don't get too excited. I also checked with Wikipedia and it stated that a few months before the show began, the official website was updated with short stories (5 of them that were made public only for a short while) that introduced Gargantia.

Also, not sure if you'd care but I found it rather interesting, Wikipedia also mentioned: "Some weeks after the series started airing, a character design contest related to the anime series was announced. It will be hosted on Pixiv, and series director Murata himself and members of Production I.G. will judge the entries submitted until the deadline of May 12, 11:59 PM. The winning design shall be featured in the last episode of the anime series."

Well, at least the last episode will be something to look forward to, even if the story continues to wander around aimlessly. Maybe this Urobuchi will kill everyone off in a fit of rage, that would certainly be amusing.
May 27, 2013 4:06 PM
Apr 2012
RyanSaotome said:

Gargantia needs to get back to what they were doing during Episodes 5 and 6. Last two episodes have been terrible.

Please no. Episode 5 was outright bad.
May 27, 2013 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
A heartwarming and good buildup eps towards the oncoming clash.. At the next eps preview, looks like Ledo and Pinion got surprised by an explosion..
Claude_KennyMay 27, 2013 4:33 PM
Keep moving forward
May 27, 2013 6:35 PM

Dec 2009
@Takuan_Soho

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll check again on this thread later.
May 27, 2013 6:38 PM

Feb 2011
bleh kinda slow but hopefully its gunna pick up soon.

May 27, 2013 9:37 PM

Apr 2011
A little more action please.
May 27, 2013 10:48 PM

Feb 2012
That revelation at the beginning... Ridget made this episode good, didn't really care about the funereal of Fairlock.
May 27, 2013 11:25 PM

Jun 2012
So what happens to Amy, Bellows, and Ridget now? I can only assume we'll be following Pinion and Ledo's exploits against the Hideauze for the rest of the season but does that mean the characters who stayed behind are written out of the series? If so that's disappointing because this does not feel like a good sendoff for them at all. Amy and Ledo's dynamic has always been one of the main draws of the show for me and not just because she likes him : P

It's interesting how far Ledo has come since the beginning of the season. As what I said in a previous episode post, now that Ledo has carved out his own personality his drive for vengeance against the Hideauze is stronger than ever. It felt nice to get self validated when Amy was talking about how he seems more tormented than when they first met. I get where's Ledo coming from in that he wants to protect the Gargantia and Amy for the future because he knows how big of a threat the Hideauze can be but I'm not sure if he knows by leaving he's making Amy sad in the process. Bebel tried to communicate that to him but it obviously wasn't successful.

Ledo wants to prevent Amy from becoming sad should the Hideauze kill Bevel if left unchecked but in the process of leaving he's doing the exact thing he's trying to prevent.

Hopefully we see Amy and the others story conclude in this last stretch of the show but I'm looking forward to underwater exploration next week
HybridMBLMay 28, 2013 6:40 AM
May 27, 2013 11:31 PM

Jan 2011
AidanAK47 said:
AlexGK said:
Emotional scenes wont work that well when you didn't have any attachment to the characters in question. And so far we haven't seen anything spectacular from the captain. To me he looked like loved but weak leader. Dunno, might just be me, but the show is the greatest letdown for me in recent years. Even greater than SAO, and that's saying much. Score down to 5/10 and with the 4 episodes that we have left this looks like a lost cause already. What a waste of setting, art, music and VA talent.

Hmm...I could argue with you but I have this rule were I check a persons taste before I argue with them. So lets see...
Anime completed = 105
Favorite anime = Toradora, Naruto: Shippuuden, Fairytale.
Animes given a 10 = Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, B Gata H Kei, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

....and you dare lecture others on good storytelling and taste? Come back when you have become a veteran young Padawan. Not even worth my time.

Good thing this post, I have to edit my faves, since that was my list like 3 years ago :D
Keep in mind that storytelling isn't the only thing to be rated in a show. And not all of us are rating with that low of a base like you. The reason being that the average MAL score people give is 7, not 5. I know its wrong but dragging down good shows just because almost everything is overrated is not my thing.

If you think this is doing great, good for you.
May 28, 2013 4:03 AM
Jul 2018

"Separation."

Amy cried.~ "... just when we became friends." :c
The funeral scene is very sad though but I really like it.
May 28, 2013 5:28 AM
May 2012
I wonder what's gonna happen next. only 5 episodes left till 'SHIT JUST GOT REAL'.
May 28, 2013 6:11 AM

Jul 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
Utilitarian military states are inherently evil. Throughout all of human history there has not been a single instance of a utilitarian military state that respected human life, guaranteed civil rights, or ensured the greater prosperity of it's citizens.

Uhm, until 1776 there wasn't ANY form of government that did that. Of course today democracy is preferable to a military state, but there are plenty of scenarios where you would beg for the stability of a "utilitarian military state". Charlemagne sure beat being attacked by the Saxons, Sparta never bowed to Phillip. If the Hideauze actually were pushing the Alliance to the brink of extinction, then a utilitarian military state far from being evil could be an unqualified good.

I am sorry but that is bullshit and fails as an argument.

The very idea of utilitarianism is efficiency. So utalitarian military would be more well organized etc. But that does NOT make it "GOOD" or RIGHT, it just makes it EFFICIENT. It does not change the fact that the model itself undermines morality and human values.

Should i remind you that your beloved Sparta, while it did beat back Persians, was also responsible for thousands of deaths of their own children. Justify that as good, please I can't wait to see you try. .

Takuan_Soho said:

Ever see squids eat? Be careful with your arms if you ever see a Humboldt Squid.

THis is non-argument too, considering Earth-whalesquads did absolutely nothing hostile and so far everythin points to them simply have a deffensive mechanism of their community.

Takuan_Soho said:
Have you seen the teeth on those suckers (literally). I would not want to be in the water unprotected from them. Given their size, a human would make a tasty morsel.

Have you SEEEN the tanks and airships USA has? I would not want to land on earth unprotected from those. Let's nuke USA, yay~

Takuan_Soho said:

Only because we live in a world without scarcity. Read up on what happens during famines. It is not a pretty picture. Oh, though I am agnostic, one of the amazing accomplishments of Christianity is that it stamped out "death by exposure" which was very prevalent in the Roman empire.

Still not hearing on why its in anyway justified.

Takuan_Soho said:
The whole, lets not kill the pirates was sort of a indication of this, and Amy certainly has that viewpoint. But you are right the show hasn't explicitly made that point, but that sort of plays into Morrow's view that this show is avoiding these questions.

Pirates is a political reason first and moral reason second. Politically, agression like that results in retaliation, cue circle of attack and response and increased casualties on both sides.

And morally the pirates are criminals, that does NOT make them not deserving human rights. They have to answer for their crimes and they can be hurt when you defend against them, but genocide is not an answer.

Takuan_Soho said:
It ain't over yet. He may not be able to return to the alliance, but the war isn't over for him, he knows that people are fighting out there for him. To pretend that its "over" for him is ridiculous, only ignorant people can believe that, not people who know what is going on. Just because one "can't" do something doesn't mean that they should forget about it.

Yes its over for him. Its not psychologically over for him, but its quite obvious there was no war anyway, just a genocide of sentient species.
Takuan_Soho said:

Your first point was very good, however your second point isn't. If the Alliance was irrelevant then they could have made it clear in episode 2 or 3 that he couldn't return home. Waiting until episode 8 is a pretty clear indication that the Alliance is very relevant, otherwise the writer created a huge anti-climatic scene which would only cause the audience disappointment. That is bad writing.

Or it simply created the conflict between Ledo's utalitarian past and the more pacifistic earth lifestyle. It showcases that he can't just escape the moral dilemma present now.
May 28, 2013 6:33 AM
Nov 2008
Amen to Lai. I can't stop saying this enough: remember Kyubey to see what Gen probably thinks of the Alliance. Not EEEVUL per se, but not good either, and definitely not above shameless manipulation and propaganda.
May 28, 2013 7:34 AM

Oct 2012
And Urobuchi-sensei just killed a poor oldman again :(
A bit sad episode huh?

I just hope they don't need to part
Well that's life, meeting & parting

Next ep, it'll be fight between Ledo & Whalesquid(Hideauze)?
"Signature removed"
May 28, 2013 9:15 AM

Apr 2013
Urobuchi wrote fucking two episodes........
Don't confuse this as Urobuchi's sole work, please.
May 28, 2013 9:27 AM
Oct 2012
Fai said:
The very idea of utilitarianism is efficiency. So utalitarian military would be more well organized etc. But that does NOT make it "GOOD" or RIGHT, it just makes it EFFICIENT. It does not change the fact that the model itself undermines morality and human values.

Uhm, you should read the context of the setting I made my point. You can only have human morals if humans/human civilization survives. Morality to a great degree has always been contextual. While I do believe there are certain universal truths, you have to survive in order to help promote them.

Fai said:
Should i remind you that your beloved Sparta, while it did beat back Persians, was also responsible for thousands of deaths of their own children. Justify that as good, please I can't wait to see you try.

Without the Spartan victory, Athens would have been destroyed. No Plato, no universal morality that you value so greatly. Just the Orwelllan "foot in the face of humanity for all time." I find it humorous that you seek to condemn when you are basking in the security that their means achieved. It is sort of like attacking the police for guarding you.
Does this mean that I want a Sparta to exist today? Of course not, but am I happy that a Sparta once existed and because of them we don't have to have a Sparta today? Absolutely.

Fai said:
THis is non-argument too, considering Earth-whalesquads did absolutely nothing hostile and so far everythin points to them simply have a deffensive mechanism of their community.

Have you seen their teeth? Besides we don't know if the squids are harmless. Sure Bellows said that, but we also know that everyone else fears them and Pinion's brother was killed by one. If assuming that they are harmful is wrong, so is assuming that they are harmless. Bellows could be wrong. That the fleet had to dampen power above them indicates that there is a danger from them.

Fai said:
And morally the pirates are criminals, that does NOT make them not deserving human rights. They have to answer for their crimes and they can be hurt when you defend against them, but genocide is not an answer.

Never knew that there was a pirate genome. Due process is a luxury, you only have to go back to the "wild west" to see that.

Fai said:
Yes its over for him. Its not psychologically over for him, but its quite obvious there was no war anyway, just a genocide of sentient species.

Again we don't know that. I have a strong feeling they are going to find the means for Ledo to return. Whether he does or not will be the climax of this series.

You know I never said that the Alliance was right, in fact I was the first person who created a thread where I theorized they were wrong. I firmly believe that this will be shown in this show. However, my argument was against saying that they were automatically in the wrong. Given the right set of facts the Alliance would be justified. We haven't seen whether or not this is the case yet, but that doesn't mean that such a possibility doesn't exist. Granted that fact pattern would have to be pretty damn extreme, but the true test of morality is at the extremes, not when choices are easy.
May 28, 2013 9:49 AM
Apr 2013
Great episode; more melancholic than sad, really. I like how Ridget became a fleshed-out character in the space of a second. I hardly even noticed her before this episode, but now she's become interesting. The moment in her quarters where she glances at the hanging mourning dress and looks away sums it up nicely.

Interesting how Ledo's reason for going after the Hideauze isn't just "duty" anymore. This time, he isn't fighting because he was made/taught/told to do so, but because he actually wants to protect something. He's come a long way.
May 28, 2013 11:02 AM

Oct 2011
This was a sad episode The atmosphere and OST was beautiful. It really fitted the mood of this episodes. With the commander dead. People on Gargantia are leaving. Ridget with the most character development in this episode. She decides to lead everyone as the new Fleet Commander. Amy has conflicting feelings with Ledo. He leaves with Pinon and others to face Hideazu.
May 28, 2013 11:22 AM
Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Fai said:

Uhm, you should read the context of the setting I made my point. You can only have human morals if humans/human civilization survives. Morality to a great degree has always been contextual. While I do believe there are certain universal truths, you have to survive in order to help promote them.

Fai said:
Should i remind you that your beloved Sparta, while it did beat back Persians, was also responsible for thousands of deaths of their own children. Justify that as good, please I can't wait to see you try.

Without the Spartan victory, Athens would have been destroyed. No Plato, no universal morality that you value so greatly. Just the Orwelllan "foot in the face of humanity for all time." I find it humorous that you seek to condemn when you are basking in the security that their means achieved. It is sort of like attacking the police for guarding you.
Does this mean that I want a Sparta to exist today? Of course not, but am I happy that a Sparta once existed and because of them we don't have to have a Sparta today? Absolutely.

Fai said:

Have you seen their teeth? Besides we don't know if the squids are harmless. Sure Bellows said that, but we also know that everyone else fears them and Pinion's brother was killed by one. If assuming that they are harmful is wrong, so is assuming that they are harmless. Bellows could be wrong. That the fleet had to dampen power above them indicates that there is a danger from them.

Fai said:

Never knew that there was a pirate genome. Due process is a luxury, you only have to go back to the "wild west" to see that.

Fai said:

Again we don't know that. I have a strong feeling they are going to find the means for Ledo to return. Whether he does or not will be the climax of this series.

You know I never said that the Alliance was right, in fact I was the first person who created a thread where I theorized they were wrong. I firmly believe that this will be shown in this show. However, my argument was against saying that they were automatically in the wrong. Given the right set of facts the Alliance would be justified. We haven't seen whether or not this is the case yet, but that doesn't mean that such a possibility doesn't exist. Granted that fact pattern would have to be pretty damn extreme, but the true test of morality is at the extremes, not when choices are easy.

Hmm... I see we're back at the whole 'morals & ethics' thing. As I've pointed out earlier, morals and ethics are relative. At least, the notion of what is 'good' or 'wrong' is. History proves that ample. The problem is, we look at the past with our CURRENT values, and ordain something as good or bad with that...but that doesn't make much sense in an objective way, of course, and it certainly doesn't strengthen the case that morality isn't relative and dependent on one's own culture and time one lives in (on the contrary).

As far as the society of Ledo is concerned, I doubt they themselves think what they are doing is wrong. In fact, it's difficult to argument, from their stance - namely the hidauze are bend on the extermination of the human race - that they are, in effect, wrong. Using the premise that it's better to be 'good' at efficiently killing the hidauze and staying alive than to be all dead and your race being wiped out, I would actually agree that what they do is good (in the sense of survival).

With our own morals (and those of Gargantia) we have the tendency to think: "oh, noeees! They kill off the weaker." But frankly, that's a problem of luxury when the whole race is at stake and you have very limited resources. Necessity prevails morals. One can see that with the Eskimos as well; where it's generally seen (in the West) as morally wrong to leave/abandon your parents when they are getting needy, in fact the Inuit do just that, when the going gets tough, their is little food to support the core family (aka, the youngsters, next generation): they leave their old parents behind. This might seem cruel to us, but it's that, or two mouths extra to feed and risking starvation of the entire family/clan.

In the old days, no-one there thought it wrong. They still didn't like it, for sure, but those grandparents (as well as their kids who abandoned them) ultimately accepted it as being a necessary sacrifice. NOT doing it would have been seen as 'wrong'. Of course, nowadays, it happens far less (you can find food everywhere these days, even if working in a factory), but it also means they have to let go of their way of living. In any case, point being: necessity plays a big role in determining what is considered to be 'good' in a society. Ledo's culture isn't an exception.

Therefore I would agree with you: survival comes first, then morals. "Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral"
May 28, 2013 11:24 AM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho I`ve started to understand your point. In fact human`s will to survive is always upper then morality issues. We can see a lot of examples in our life, when people put in danger will goes for their lifes instead help eachother (of course there are exeptions of this rule). Conditions, under which is Avalon, are rather harsh for human being to exist and I`m not talkin about its law but about surroundings. The outerspace isn`t beneficial place for our race, people who live there, need a source of oxygene (maybe there isn`t that much) food and water, plus they need a space to live. For civilization, which is in the state of war, biggest priority will be to survive and this also included disposal of ill individuals (there is no need to keep someone who won`t be any of use, plus it would be waste of resources and space, when there is limited number of it. Also there is no need for weak unit to exist while his/hers chances of survive are rather low from the start). I think in the situation like human race will chose to be pragmatic over the morality issues; stronger will be alive. Its not that I agree with this, its seems wrong on many levels, but in the end nothing is black or white, although this anime probably would lead us to the point that probably is.
Takuan_Soho said:

Did u see shark`s teeth? There were cases when it killed human, yet there are also cases when they didn`t attacked when it wasn`t provoked, or man didn`t move or slowly retreat. So should we killed sharks, because its kill human, or it could be a treat for us? I assume that percent of people, who are killed by whalesquids are less than any other cause of dead, while humans knows how to deal with them.
May 28, 2013 12:04 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

The problem here is that you aren't incorrect, but you're looking at things way to simplistically. It is true that the American government was a true revolution in the sense of protecting/respecting human rights. However, you've neglected the degree to which things differed in the past. The Magna Carta was an example of protection of human rights. The Roman Constitution. The fact is that there was a difference between Sparta and Athens, and for the modern man, though living in both would be a horror by our standards, living in Athens would be far preferable. Even in the past, there were governments and states where a pure utilitarian/military philosophy wasn't embraced and those governments almost universally lasted longer and were better than the alternative. Further, we aren't discussing times long past, we are discussing times in the relative future for both societies. The past is not as applicable as the modern age, and in the modern age those governments that embraced utilitarianism have been horror states and universally were less powerful than their more democratic neighbors.

It is a very flawed idea that militarism and utilitarianism serves a society better in the case of danger. The American and British empires prove this idea to be incorrect. Both were more powerful than any other empire before them, both being freer and more humane than any other empire.

Many creatures will eat humans. None of them engage in genocidal wars against mankind.

And yet there doesn't seem to be a wide history of them attacking or consuming humans. Further, they don't show overt hostility. Consuming humans is one thing: committing war upon them is something else entirely. Ledo seems to be under the impression that the Hideauze want to destroy mankind utterly. Unless the squid were sentient, this would not make sense; creatures do not do such things. If they are sentient, than it would make no sense that they show no hostility to the primitive humans on Gargantia.

Famines are largely man-made in the modern age. In fact, did you know that no famine has ever occurred in a modern democracy, or in a country with a free-press? There is no reason to believe that the Alliance lives in a state of horrible scarcity, despite what their propaganda may suggest. There is no evidence either way, really, except for the fact that the Alliance is surely not a democracy, surely doesn't have a free-press, and surely does possess every attribute of a brutal, totalitarian state. Those point to a war started by them and maintained by them, rather than the opposite.

Amy most definitely doesn't have that attitude or viewpoint. She has never said that killing anyone is always wrong. And there argument about why not to wipe out the pirates was largely political, not an exercise in pacifism. They actually did fight and kill pirates. They just didn't want to start a war. And yes, they did not like that Ledo indiscriminately annihilated pirates... but in the modern age we (the general public) hold similar views. We don't wipe out entire nations in war; we don't kill people unless there is no other way to avoid the death. If a show of force suffices, we use it rather than nuking them all into oblivion. The closest the show has gotten to making a pacifist point is that it suggests taking a human life should never be done lightly... something that, again, most people in a modern society would agree with.

The war isn't over yet, that's the point of the show. His place in the war is ending. I suspect that the end of the show will be the end of his war. It could very well be, and is likely, that the war itself is not being conducted for any other purpose but to advance the Alliance's sociopolitical agenda. That is the point, his war isn't going to continue for very long. Whether he knows it or not, whether he likes it or not, he is no longer a soldier of the Alliance. His acceptance of Gargantia has destroyed that.

Your first point was very good, however your second point isn't. If the Alliance was irrelevant then they could have made it clear in episode 2 or 3 that he couldn't return home. Waiting until episode 8 is a pretty clear indication that the Alliance is very relevant, otherwise the writer created a huge anti-climatic scene which would only cause the audience disappointment. That is bad writing. Your third point is generally true, however when you are talking about pretty important parts of the plot forced exposition sure beats nothing. Also, it would help if the writer didn't throw out things you think are going to be important, and then never mention them again.

The Alliance is only relevant in the way that they deal with Ledo. They are not relevant on their own, they hold no actual importance other than how they pertain to Ledo's mental/moral state. They are, essentially, a set-piece. The reveal for Ledo was important, the reveal for the sake of the Alliance was not. Even if the Alliance has an important part to play later in the story, there would still be no use for back-story on them because they do not matter in any way other than their relationship with Ledo. The story is about Ledo, it is not about the Alliance. It is not about the war. It is about Ledo. I can't repeat this enough: This is a character story. It is not an event story.
Let's go bowling.
May 28, 2013 12:09 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Without the Spartan victory, Athens would have been destroyed.

Never heard of the Athenian Navy, huh?
Let's go bowling.
May 28, 2013 12:30 PM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
Takuan_Soho said:

While history has overshadowed it, even after Salamis the Persian army still vastly outnumbered the Greeks and were still invading the Greeks until completely destroyed at the:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plataea

And then the war was effectively ended at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mycale

Both battles were led by the Spartans.

Part of the reason why Plataea and Mycale didn't get that much credit is that the Athenians generally wrote the histories and of course stressed their own contributions at Marathon and Salamis.
The Spartans paid for their laconic wit in history.
May 28, 2013 1:04 PM
Feb 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:

It is a very flawed idea that militarism and utilitarianism serves a society better in the case of danger. The American and British empires prove this idea to be incorrect. Both were more powerful than any other empire before them, both being freer and more humane than any other empire.

Actually, during their heydays, they WERE pretty militaristic and utilitarian. The British Empire became an empire by conquering other countries and lands. In fact, almost any Empire does. You need to have a strong military presence for that, and a mindset that doesn't really care to much about those you conquer. I'm also not sure of your definition of 'freer' and 'humane': the only people being free as we would now define it, were the British themselves, and especially the 'high class' of those. Many people they conquered - some of those far more peaceful than the British Empire - were NOT free at all, instead, saw a drastic decline in their freedom and were turned into de facto serfs. In fact, the British Empire has massacred and wiped out (yes, we would call it genocide now) complete tribes in Africa.

No, they weren't all that humane, free, peaceful, non-militaristic, etc. at all, certainly not to others.

But, they were successful in conquering other nations. And it certainly served them well during that time: they were at the height of their might, controlled vast expanses of the world, had enormous riches (forced) to flow to the homeland, etc. Had they been, however, a peace-loving, non-militaristic, non-utilatarian country, they would never have established such an empire.

That they were more 'humane' compared to other empires before them, is just a result of the fact that they are more recent empires compared, say, to the Roman empire, and thus the(ir) time(s) are closer to that of ours, and thus also their mores. But be assured nevertheless: all that opposed and became a threat to the British Empire were merciless disposed of.

That they were 'more powerful' than any before them, is also mistakenly attributed to being more 'humane' and as proof that militarism doesn't make he best response to a threat or conquest. But it does not. The only thing this indicates, is that the technology was already growing enough that it made it possible to conquer more countries and lands in a shorter amount of time, than in any time before. It's an issue of science and technology, thus, not morality or a lack of militarism. THAT is why the British Empire had become so large so quick: superior (military and other) technology.

BTW, the mongol Mongol Empire was almost as large as the British - even larger when you compare the % of the population of back then to what it was during the British Empire -, and that WITHOUT all the modern technology. A feat far more impressive, thus. Idem with the Umayyad Caliphate, the Mauryan Empire, the Qing Dynasty, and many others: compared to the world known back then, and the relative populace, there have been empires that exceeded the British one, so saying they were 'more powerful' in a comparative way, is doubtful. And concerning how long they lasted, the British and American empires certainly aren't the best examples. And almost all those empires had a high degree of militaristic tendencies, and most other countries who didn't, were conquered or had to pay tribute.

In short, I think the facts do not support your claim at all.
AnimageNebyMay 28, 2013 1:18 PM
May 28, 2013 1:10 PM
Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
Takuan_Soho said:

While history has overshadowed it, even after Salamis the Persian army still vastly outnumbered the Greeks and were still invading the Greeks until completely destroyed at the:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plataea

And then the war was effectively ended at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mycale

Both battles were led by the Spartans.

Part of the reason why Plataea and Mycale didn't get that much credit is that the Athenians generally wrote the histories and of course stressed their own contributions at Marathon and Salamis.
The Spartans paid for their laconic wit in history.

True. Moreover, they already had landed too, and if the Spartans hadn't stopped them, there is little doubt they would have conquered the other city-states going land-inwards. And, as you correctly point out, the Persians had a vast fleet too.

Yes, without the Spartans, I think our history would have turned out to be something completely else, in the most fundamental of ways. Whether that makes the Spartans 'good', with our current morals, is something else, but we sure should have some gratitude towards them. (Well, as long as you consider the Old Greece the birthplace of Western civilisation, of course. Because it must be noted that the Persian empire was pretty well advanced in its own right and had a high culture).
May 28, 2013 5:56 PM

Sep 2010
Damn you Ledo, making Amy cry. And I cried when Ridget did. T_T
May 28, 2013 8:49 PM
Oct 2010
RyanSaotome said:

Gargantia needs to get back to what they were doing during Episodes 5 and 6. Last two episodes have been terrible.

Throw heavy amounts of fanservice you mean?
May 28, 2013 9:10 PM

Dec 2009
I was the one who started the political debate, and I must say I feel sorry for doing so.

StopDropAndBowl, from what I've seen, you've been inside Wall Maria for too long. Physically of course, but also intellectually and psychologically.

The Hideauze ARE CAPABLE of destroying human settlements unprovoked. I'll give a couple of points of inconclusive proof to consider:

1. Pictures of swarms of Hideauze overrunning portions of Avalon.

I know you think this is propaganda, but perhaps it might be equally objective to consider that maybe it's not? Why have the Hideauze reached so far into human territory in the first place? Is it not because they first attacked and humans had to defend? In episode one we see them conducting war after entering the Hideauze's nest, only to be mercilessly wiped out. Is it not logical to want to find the source when you are confronted with waves of intruders, sentient or not? Why can you not accept the idea that the Hideauze may actually be endangering human existence? When anything reeks of brainwashing military regime, you just automatically assume that it is? It's because we humans haven't been endangered in so long that we're not even considering the possibility that we might be vulnerable. Now do you see where I'm going with the comparison to SnK?

2. The Hideauze are willing to leave their nest in pursuit of the Alliance.

Kugel stayed behind to stop the Hideauze because he was afraid they would follow them into the wormhole before Lamorak took off. It may be hard to say if they're "hellbent" on destroying the human race, but they are in fact preying on humans. They continued giving chase in swarms even after the Alliance was in full retreat.

3. The Hideauze are after energy, intelligently coordinated or not.

Some of the Hideauze consumed their units whole, and on two instances were said to be attempting to devour them for energy. You could say the entire battle was a sort of feeding time for the Hideauze. They were stung a little in the beginning, but eventually succeeded in disarming their prey and digesting the dispersed remains. The Hideauze are the predators because human establishments contain energy, which is something they are after, whereas humans have no apparent reason to kill the Hideauze (and waste a lot of energy in the process) other than to protect themselves from the threat of annihilation. Space is vast, if the humans could have just ignored them, they would have simply moved somewhere else. In other words, it IS kill or be killed.

4. The Earth Hideauze pose a potential threat to the Gargantians.

Ledo has already given us a plausible reason for why he continues to fight. The whalesquids are leaving the Gargantians alone because they don't have anything the whalesquids want, or if they do it's not enough to attract their attention. It makes perfect sense, and I'm sure whatever dialogue actually appears in the show holds a lot more importance than our conjectures. Plus, I don't know if you remember that scene where Ledo killed the whalesquid; it latched onto Bellows' machine even though Bellows did nothing to it.
tealcactusMay 29, 2013 12:41 AM
May 28, 2013 9:46 PM
May 2012
2easy4AgEnT said:
A heartwarming and good buildup eps towards the oncoming clash.. At the next eps preview, looks like Ledo and Pinion got surprised by an explosion..

Well, talk about a 'calm before a storm' before all things turn into all-out war in 5 penultimate episodes. I guess I was wrong back then. Probably some WTF moments will be occur..
May 28, 2013 11:55 PM

May 2012
skudoops said:

Two pointless fan-service episodes was enough.

The last two episodes have slightly improved things and it needs to continue in this direction with more action.
May 29, 2013 12:06 AM

Jul 2012
TheGreat1s said:
skudoops said:

Two pointless fan-service episodes was enough.

The last two episodes have slightly improved things and it needs to continue in this direction with more action.

Agreed.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 29, 2013 1:06 AM

Mar 2012
I'm not saying that the Hideauze are harmless, I'm saying that the explanation given by the Alliance and Ledo is not sufficient. Further, that we have good reason to doubt the Alliance given the nature of their society and the nature of the Hideauze on Earth. Perhaps the Alliance is being truthful (though one wonders why they would need to hide things from their own soldiers if they were), but it is likely that they are not.

Besides, this is all somewhat irrelevant in it's own way. I will say this: if one does not agree with the argument put forward by a story, one is much more likely to not like the story itself. The argument of this particular show seems to be more anti-utilitarian. It seems to be showing this through the way Ledo is so completely effed up by modern standards before he comes to Gargantia. I don't think people noticed, but Ledo was basically a robot before he came. He didn't react at all when his comrade was killed, had no compunctions about annihilating people en masse, and openly told Bevel that he was a waste of resources. If you happen to be of the political/moral belief that this is all perfectly acceptable, then you will most likely not like the show, as it's point is that it isn't perfectly acceptable. It's point is that Ledo is messed up and is going through a process of healing by coming to Gargantia and learning a different way of life.

The Gargantians live with scarcity, they live under serious threats, but they do not engage in the kind of actions that the Alliance does. If you find that to be unrealistic due to whatever political persuasion or moral beliefs that you hold, than the show will necessarily seem unrealistic to you. The non-religious will not generally not appreciate C.S. Lewis' Cosmic Trilogy as much as the religious. The communist will generally not appreciate Darkness at Noon as much as the anti-communist. Such is the nature of fiction. When one puts in no argument, one's fiction is stale and boring. When one puts in an argument, one alienates most of those who disagree. I find Gargantia to be an excellent show, primarily because I agree and sympathize with the arguments it has put forward and the themes it seems to be portraying.

On a purely technical level, the show has been near perfect. The pacing has been good, not too rushed, but not too slow. The dialogue is believable, the story intriguing and logical, and the direction has been very good. People may complain about the middle episodes, but those are largely misinterpretations of the show itself. They expected an action-mecha, therefore they see those episodes as "filler". If one expects a character drama, and then realizes the character we have: a soldier who knows nothing of peace or self-fulfillment, than the episodes become an interesting and fun exploration into the character. They are, arguably, more pertinent and relevant than the battle in the first episode.

Obviously there were some misconceptions about what the show is, and then there is regret at it not fulfilling the role it is perceived to have been attempting to fulfill. Personally, I am more interested in a character story about a child-soldier given another chance at life than I am yet another action story with giant robots.
Let's go bowling.
May 29, 2013 2:42 AM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
I'm not saying that the Hideauze are harmless, I'm saying that the explanation given by the Alliance and Ledo is not sufficient. Further, that we have good reason to doubt the Alliance given the nature of their society and the nature of the Hideauze on Earth. Perhaps the Alliance is being truthful (though one wonders why they would need to hide things from their own soldiers if they were), but it is likely that they are not.

Besides, this is all somewhat irrelevant in it's own way. I will say this: if one does not agree with the argument put forward by a story, one is much more likely to not like the story itself. The argument of this particular show seems to be more anti-utilitarian. It seems to be showing this through the way Ledo is so completely effed up by modern standards before he comes to Gargantia. I don't think people noticed, but Ledo was basically a robot before he came. He didn't react at all when his comrade was killed, had no compunctions about annihilating people en masse, and openly told Bevel that he was a waste of resources. If you happen to be of the political/moral belief that this is all perfectly acceptable, then you will most likely not like the show, as it's point is that it isn't perfectly acceptable. It's point is that Ledo is messed up and is going through a process of healing by coming to Gargantia and learning a different way of life.

The Gargantians live with scarcity, they live under serious threats, but they do not engage in the kind of actions that the Alliance does. If you find that to be unrealistic due to whatever political persuasion or moral beliefs that you hold, than the show will necessarily seem unrealistic to you. The non-religious will not generally not appreciate C.S. Lewis' Cosmic Trilogy as much as the religious. The communist will generally not appreciate Darkness at Noon as much as the anti-communist. Such is the nature of fiction. When one puts in no argument, one's fiction is stale and boring. When one puts in an argument, one alienates most of those who disagree. I find Gargantia to be an excellent show, primarily because I agree and sympathize with the arguments it has put forward and the themes it seems to be portraying.

On a purely technical level, the show has been near perfect. The pacing has been good, not too rushed, but not too slow. The dialogue is believable, the story intriguing and logical, and the direction has been very good. People may complain about the middle episodes, but those are largely misinterpretations of the show itself. They expected an action-mecha, therefore they see those episodes as "filler". If one expects a character drama, and then realizes the character we have: a soldier who knows nothing of peace or self-fulfillment, than the episodes become an interesting and fun exploration into the character. They are, arguably, more pertinent and relevant than the battle in the first episode.

Obviously there were some misconceptions about what the show is, and then there is regret at it not fulfilling the role it is perceived to have been attempting to fulfill. Personally, I am more interested in a character story about a child-soldier given another chance at life than I am yet another action story with giant robots.

Fullmetal Panic does a better job at the child soldier theme >_> It also does romance leagues better than this failure.
Darklight0303May 29, 2013 8:25 AM
May 29, 2013 4:11 AM
Sep 2009
ruined show
May 29, 2013 8:37 AM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
I'm saying that the explanation given by the Alliance and Ledo is not sufficient. Further, that we have good reason to doubt the Alliance given the nature of their society and the nature of the Hideauze on Earth.

That is not true. On Earth humanity can live without technology, it would be difficult but possible. You cannot live in space without technology, you really can't "power down" as Gargantia did last episode without freezing too death. So actually, given what we have been shown, the Alliance's statement could very well be factually true. If Humans have the right to space, then the Hideauze as they have been shown on Earth, would have to be dealt with in space.

StopDropAndBowl said:
I don't think people noticed, but Ledo was basically a robot before he came.

No we noticed, however remember that people who "do their tour of duty" and allowed to live in Avalon. Children on earth have their choices severely restricted as well, in short they are somewhat like robots expected to do what they are told until they become adults. The Alliance is a more extreme example, but not a totally alien example.

StopDropAndBowl said:
If you happen to be of the political/moral belief that this is all perfectly acceptable,

You really need to stop personalizing your argument. No one here is saying that this mode of life is morally superior, we are merely pointing out that if what the Alliance is saying is true, then their mode of existence may be justified. Not Good, but justified. You really need to distinguish between the two.

StopDropAndBowl said:
The Gargantians live with scarcity, they live under serious threats, but they do not engage in the kind of actions that the Alliance does. If you find that to be unrealistic due to whatever political persuasion or moral beliefs

Again, stop making it personal. When I complain that this show is unrealistic, it is not based on any a priori belief, but rather based on the evidence the show itself has provided. THAT is what makes it unrealistic. In a place with ample rain and food, no external threads, and good leadership, I can easily believe a place like Gargantia could exist. HOWEVER that is NOT what we have been shown. If Gargantia could have fought the Pirates equally, I would be able to accept a balance of power, but the battle clearly showed that the Pirates were VASTLY superior to Gargantia (triple the ships, better training (they said so in the show), able to withstand a surprise attack and Ledo's assistance to destroy the fleet's battleships in under 30 minutes (despite also being at a tactical disadvantage "their T crossed"), and vastly better Mechas). And this is merely one example of many (last episode had political splits in the leadership, showing that this essential aspect to life is not stable). You cannot fault us for taking the information the show gives us, noting these issues that the writer brings up, and then doubting that this society is realistic. Don't blame us for bad writing.

StopDropAndBowl said:
On a purely technical level, the show has been near perfect. The pacing has been good, not too rushed, but not too slow. The dialogue is believable, the story intriguing and logical, and the direction has been very good. People may complain about the middle episodes, but those are largely misinterpretations of the show itself.

This show started off with 3 action episodes, so no, there were no misinterpretations. Again don't blame bad writing on the viewers (its like saying the Phantom Menace was really a classic and not the fault of Lucas' boring script) . Pacing in this show has been horrific: 3 fast episodes, 5 slow episodes is not pacing. The dialogue has been fine, and is probably the best part of the show, however it has not been special, and has lots of wasted moments to it, including some misleading parts (why talk about how killing Hideauze is the "ulitmate taboo" for the ship, and worrying about a riot caused by it, and then never bring it up again? All she needed to say was "I hope the Hideauze don't retaliate" which would have explained the situation and been more faithful for what is later shown). Again, don't blame the viewer for paying attention to what the writer is talking about.

StopDropAndBowl said:
If one expects a character drama, and then realizes the character we have: a soldier who knows nothing of peace or self-fulfillment, than the episodes become an interesting and fun exploration into the character. They are, arguably, more pertinent and relevant than the battle in the first episode.

But that hasn't happened either. 8th episode, and according to your theory Ledo has not advanced. He hasn't learned anything. Amy is exactly the same way she was in the first episode. Bellows hasn't changed. Pinion hasn't changed. Regdit hasn't changed. We have seen that a 10,000 person ship collection can support an entire floor of trannies, that the big enjoyment of people who live and work in the sun all day, every day of their lives is to sunbathe and then watch young girls belly dance at night, and have learned "killing is bad, whoops hold on we have to go fight for our lives against an approaching pirate horde". We have learned really nothing about the society. How exactly it is this society structured, whether they grow some food, how many other ship collections out there (outside of a brief mention of one ship joining), more depth about Amy's/Bellow's/Regdit's life, etc. Had character/society development actually occurred then your argument may have some weight, but there has been NO character or society development, what we have been shown has had no impact, those episodes were by definition fillers.
Takuan_SohoMay 29, 2013 8:50 AM
May 29, 2013 10:54 AM
Oct 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:

The Alliance and how it's society is composed might be due to the fact that they are fighting for survival. A threat like the Hideazu would make any kind of non completly militaristic society absolutely unviable as it wouldn't be fit to deal with said threat.
Just take Allies and Axis for example. Even in an inter human war the Allies had for the largest part to completly dedicate their efforts to defeating the Axis militarizing most of it's economy and society.

This show is for all purposes pretty simplistic anyway. One has to take into account what could possible warp a society to the point the Alliance is currently at. What could possible force them to become like that and the answer is plain and simple a massive threat that would annihilate any kind of other society.

The Gargantian life style wouldn't be feasible on the long run. They are effectively living as scavengers on old technology and could be wiped out by the Hideazu at any given time.
Eventually there will be nothing left to scavenge, they can't bring up productions themselves and couldn't sustain their survival anymore. We both know this to be true so don't try to deny it.
The Gargantia fleet is for all purposes in decay already, with large parts being full of rust, whole walk ways and ladders missing or broken down and so on and on and on.

That being said, they are also at danger from diseases or natural disasters.

Actually, the story if it is aiming towards the "low technology, stay close to nature, just coexist" part has some serious flaws. The Gargantian lifestyle isn't sustainable, living like them would only mean that humanity would eventually and inevitably die out at some point in the not so far future.
It would be about cowering before a threat that endangers you, has little qualms about attacking and murdering you and hoping it will leave you alone. A threat that invaded your very home, because that is what earth is, the craddle of mankind our ancestral home.
May 29, 2013 12:27 PM

Dec 2010
This is one of the best episodes yet, the backgrounds continue to be beautiful, and Ridget got some character development. It should be a given since she's now the fleet commander and all... But the funeral was still really sad...

I like the world building that this show does, and I wish it could be longer so that we could have more of it. Where the story goes from here though, it's really any bodies guess.
May 29, 2013 1:40 PM
Jul 2012
Deleth said:

The Alliance and how it's society is composed might be due to the fact that they are fighting for survival. A threat like the Hideazu would make any kind of non completly militaristic society absolutely unviable as it wouldn't be fit to deal with said threat.
Just take Allies and Axis for example. Even in an inter human war the Allies had for the largest part to completly dedicate their efforts to defeating the Axis militarizing most of it's economy and society.

The Allies were also extremely pragmatic, ignoring the common discrimination against jews (physicists), gays (turing's codebreaking), and dirty commies, as well as putting women to work (today is the 70th anniversary of Norman Rockell's Rosie the Riveter). Unless the Alliance has an extremely sophisticated and rigorous against bias system to accurately determine someone's value, they're effectively shooting themselves in the foot, like the Axis. Do the Alliance seem like the type to allow some nobody from Louisiana to play a critical role in a major operation, simply because his technology performed better? (The Higgins Boat role in the D Day landing)

The Gargantian life style wouldn't be feasible on the long run. They are effectively living as scavengers on old technology and could be wiped out by the Hideazu at any given time.
Eventually there will be nothing left to scavenge, they can't bring up productions themselves and couldn't sustain their survival anymore. We both know this to be true so don't try to deny it.
The Gargantia fleet is for all purposes in decay already, with large parts being full of rust, whole walk ways and ladders missing or broken down and so on and on and on.

The outsides of the ships are rusty, because that's what happens in a marine environment using alloys not rated for it, the insides aren't. As for scavenging, three points: Depending on the total population of Gargantia like fleets, they'll be able to scavenge for quite a long time, they have the technology for ironworking and therefore recycling the rust (ep5 the old hag Ledo got BBQ sauce from), and resources don't quite "run out" - like oil will simply get more expensive and we'll switch to Fischer-Tropsch or biodiesel (because it will make sense *at that time*, along with a general rise in energy prices) - the Gargantians have to adapt to not having a convenient source of materials. (They didn't repair the circular stairs because they have those gliders, as well.)

Also, assuming an average of 2kCal/day ~200kWh/year, world energy consumption varies from ~10X this (Eritrea) to ~1000X (Iceland), so it's not like they're automatically starving because they don't have consumerist culture of much of *our* world.

It would be about cowering before a threat that endangers you, has little qualms about attacking and murdering you and hoping it will leave you alone. A threat that invaded your very home, because that is what earth is, the craddle of mankind our ancestral home.

The Gargantians don't have to hope the Earth-Hideauze don't attack them, because they didn't - they ARE dangerous, but only when provoked.
CallMeIshmaelMay 29, 2013 2:15 PM
May 29, 2013 1:42 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

That is not true. On Earth humanity can live without technology, it would be difficult but possible. You cannot live in space without technology, you really can't "power down" as Gargantia did last episode without freezing too death. So actually, given what we have been shown, the Alliance's statement could very well be factually true. If Humans have the right to space, then the Hideauze as they have been shown on Earth, would have to be dealt with in space.

I said before, it could very well be that the Alliance are being truthful. I highly doubt it. Gargantia powered down AFTER one of the Hideauze was attacked and killed. If a citizen of your country was attacked and killed, would you want your government to sit around and do nothing? The Hideauze on Earth showed no signs of aggression BEFORE they were attacked. We can reasonably assume that the Hideauze in space are similar. Perhaps not, but probably so.

No we noticed, however remember that people who "do their tour of duty" and allowed to live in Avalon. Children on earth have their choices severely restricted as well, in short they are somewhat like robots expected to do what they are told until they become adults. The Alliance is a more extreme example, but not a totally alien example.

I would argue there is an extreme difference. So different that they aren't even close to being comparable.

You really need to stop personalizing your argument. No one here is saying that this mode of life is morally superior, we are merely pointing out that if what the Alliance is saying is true, then their mode of existence may be justified. Not Good, but justified. You really need to distinguish between the two.

Your argument is that it would be justified. That is a political/moral argument. I would argue that it is unjustified, no matter the circumstances. The argument is necessarily personal.

In a place with ample rain and food, no external threads, and good leadership, I can easily believe a place like Gargantia could exist.
Which is exactly what I said. You don't see that as being realistic precisely because of the other beliefs you hold...

This show started off with 3 action episodes
It's a story about a child-soldier...

Pacing in this show has been horrific: 3 fast episodes, 5 slow episodes is not pacing.

Huh? Fast start -> slow down -> speed back up is a classic part of storytelling... Some of the best works of fiction have this kind of pacing...

But that hasn't happened either. 8th episode, and according to your theory Ledo has not advanced. He hasn't learned anything.

1. He wants to protect Amy (in the beginning he could have cared less)
2. He wants to prevent Gargantia from becoming like the Alliance. (in the beginning he wanted the exact opposite)
3. He doesn't see Bevel as a waste of resources.

He has undergone changes. Just because you've ignored them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Amy is exactly the same way she was in the first episode. Bellows hasn't changed. Pinion hasn't changed. Regdit hasn't changed.

They are not the main characters or the focus of the show. However, I think there have been some subtle developments.

We have seen that a 10,000 person ship collection can support an entire floor of trannies

Do we know there is only 10,000 people? And surprise surprise, prostitutes exist even in small societies... still, you people are focusing on that A LOT.

that the big enjoyment of people who live and work in the sun all day, every day of their lives is to sunbathe and then watch young girls belly dance at night,

Never been to Hawaii, huh?
Let's go bowling.
May 29, 2013 2:05 PM

Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Fullmetal Panic does a better job at the child soldier theme >_> It also does romance leagues better than this failure.

In a way it does, but then again, it is a completely different situation. Sosuke is not the child of a utilitarian, hyper-militaristic, totalitarian regime. He is not put alone in a completely foreign world (as in, he still has the support system of his old world and is still in the same world he lived in). Ledo's situation is entirely different. Besides, FMP is a classic. Saying that it does it better in some ways isn't saying much.

I would say that the romance in FMP is better, but only because the characters are older and it is more comedic. Also, FMP has way more episodes and thus time to develop. Further, the romance is pretty standard in FMP. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.

Seriously though, A LOT of the problems people have with this series... SnK has way worse.
StopDropAndBowlMay 29, 2013 2:10 PM
Let's go bowling.
May 29, 2013 2:30 PM
Feb 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
Your argument is that it would be justified. That is a political/moral argument. I would argue that it is unjustified, no matter the circumstances. The argument is necessarily personal.

While I agree with you it's far from certain if Ledo's society is actually telling the truth, if one uses the premise that it does, and it's a matter of pure survival, than your argument seems to falter a bit.

Logically speaking, morality comes after survival. In fact, you can't have morals if everyone is dead, and you can't have an ethical system, if your society is wiped out. As the german saying goes: "Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral."

Survival comes BEFORE a morality, certainly one that is lenient. All those who disagreed, died more quickly, and are at a biological/Darwinistic disadvantage.

So, as I said, it depends on the premise used: if one thinks survival of ones' race is the most important, than the action of Ledo's societies could well be justified. If you don't, then it might be considered unjustified, but ones' chances of destruction would be similarly augmented too.

I, for one - as would most, I presume - prefer the survival of the human race above having a socialist-hippie-Lion'king mentality and die out. (Which would be the case, if Ledo's society tells the truth about the Hidauze).
May 29, 2013 2:33 PM

Apr 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
Darklight0303 said:

In a way it does, but then again, it is a completely different situation. Sosuke is not the child of a utilitarian, hyper-militaristic, totalitarian regime. He is not put alone in a completely foreign world (as in, he still has the support system of his old world and is still in the same world he lived in). Ledo's situation is entirely different. Besides, FMP is a classic. Saying that it does it better in some ways isn't saying much.

I would say that the romance in FMP is better, but only because the characters are older and it is more comedic. Also, FMP has way more episodes and thus time to develop. Further, the romance is pretty standard in FMP. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.

Seriously though, A LOT of the problems people have with this series... SnK has way worse.

No it doesn't. It has the luxury of time required to build things up once Trost battle is over. Meanwhile Suisei squandered its precious time on boosting sales with overload of fanservice. Difference here is SnK didn't have to do such a pandering act. It's already selling like hot cakes. That proves that even the creators didn't have faith in Suisei if they had to resort to such a cheap method to boost the potential sales. Your rationalizing of this fact doesn't change its validity in the least.
Darklight0303May 29, 2013 2:37 PM
May 29, 2013 2:48 PM

Mar 2012
If one thinks that survival comes before morality, and that this is supported by Darwinism, one has to wonder why the modern world has so thoroughly stamped out utilitarianism as the basis for society? Why did the utilitarian Nazi Germany suffer defeat at the hands of the less utilitarian Allies? Why did the utilitarian Sparta fall to the wayside while the less utilitarian Rome lasted far longer? The idea of a morality beyond that of survival has survived better, and longer, than it's opposite. Ironically, Darwinism has effectively weeded out social Darwinism in the modern, advanced world.
Let's go bowling.
May 29, 2013 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:

No it doesn't. It has the luxury of time required to build things up once Trost battle is over. Meanwhile Suisei squandered its precious time on boosting sales with overload of fanservice. Difference here is SnK didn't have to do such a pandering act. It's already selling like hot cakes. That proves that even the creators didn't have faith in Suisei if they had to resort to such a cheap method to boost the potential sales. Your rationalizing of this fact doesn't change its validity in the least.

I was speaking more on the technical level. The characterization has been flat, the dialogue entirely forgettable, the pacing questionable, the world-building almost entirely empty, the exposition forced, and the logic largely inconsistent or nonexistent. It has largely been a string of "and then's" with almost no "buts and therefore's". Most importantly, there seems to be no real themes being explored in SnK. Perhaps "Fight or die", but that isn't a very inspired theme and really hasn't been explored all that much except for in one episode. In SnG, disagree with the themes or not, at least they are present.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on the reasoning behind the middle episodes. I see them as serving a definite, important purpose in the context of the story, with the fan-service being secondary and somewhat unavoidable. You see it as purely for the purpose of selling more DVDs. I've given the reasoning, most of which has been ignored, so as of now, there really isn't anywhere else to go.
Let's go bowling.
May 29, 2013 4:20 PM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
If one thinks that survival comes before morality, and that this is supported by Darwinism, one has to wonder why the modern world has so thoroughly stamped out utilitarianism as the basis for society? Why did the utilitarian Nazi Germany suffer defeat at the hands of the less utilitarian Allies? Why did the utilitarian Sparta fall to the wayside while the less utilitarian Rome lasted far longer? The idea of a morality beyond that of survival has survived better, and longer, than it's opposite. Ironically, Darwinism has effectively weeded out social Darwinism in the modern, advanced world.

First, because Germany wasn't utilitarian. Hitler was the furthest thing from being pragmatic. Hitler was an idealist (it's just that his ideas sucked) (Hitler wanted to change everything, he was no traditionalist). Progress is not always "good". Don't forget that it was the 20th scientific progressives (as opposed to the 19th century religious progressives) that supported eugenics.
Second, Albert Speer pointed out that the US managed to get far closer to a total "war economy" than Germany ever could.
Third, Sparta as a state lasted longer than Athens as a state. Rome, even during the Republic, was extremely militaristic and utilitarian, far more that Sparta was by the time they fought one another.
Fourth, morality requires survival. That is a simple axiom not subject to debate. You can't be moral if you are dead. Now while I would agree that in the vast majority of cases superior morality can improve your chances of survival (Mutual Aid over Survival of the Fittest to use the 19th century classifications), and while this is particularly true as technology advances, this is however far from being an absolute. Just as the external threat the Axis presented to the US justified certain restrictions on Civil Liberties, a great enough external threat could conceivably justify fairly stark restrictions on human rights.

I think the problem is that you don't believe that to be the case in this story, and I agree with you that it is probably not the case. However, that doesn't justify your statements that it could NEVER be true. That is what I am arguing against.

As a fun morality question. One could say that all things being equal humans have no greater "right" to survive than the Hideauze, and that is an excellent point, or even maybe certain human rights are more important than species survival. I might even agree with you on that. But what if allowing the other race to win will reasonable assure that OTHER species will die? Would that still be the case?

Its one thing to be willing to die than to resort to violence, but it is something very different to stand by and let an innocent person/creature die when you had the means to stop it. Gotta love morality.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.