Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Worth watching, or not worth watching...??
May 24, 2013 12:50 AM

May 2013
Pick your choices and votes... i choose neutral

" People are like dice. You choose what path you throw yourself into "

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 2013 1:16 AM

Mar 2012
Worth.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 24, 2013 3:18 AM

Jun 2012
It may be cliché, but the harem is good. There is concurrence between the girls, and you can fall in love for, at least, one of them.

The characters are somewhat interesting I'd say, especially Yoshino or Kurumi (imo). The animation is really good, the voice acting too. The musics aren't that awkward.

You can have some fun to watch it.
May 24, 2013 9:12 AM

Jun 2010
Definitely worth my time, I like mix of action and harem romance in it.
Definitely a must watch for me.
Nice op and intro each episode is great xD
May 24, 2013 10:12 AM

May 2013
at first i did want to watch then only the harem got good, im hoping that kurumi can fall for shido, cuz im rooting for her, even if it seems clear that he's gonna end up with tohka.... well this anime is just too predictable...

May 24, 2013 3:32 PM

Sep 2011
Need an option of "Meh series overall, but still watch it for the hell of it."
May 24, 2013 3:34 PM

Jan 2008
Honestly, I'd say wait for the BD/DVD if you don't mind waiting since the Director's Cut version appears too have more content which isn't in the anime... and it's uncensored.

I'm enjoying the anime, which can be quite obvious.
May 24, 2013 3:45 PM

Feb 2013
Totally worth it. You would never get bored.

May 24, 2013 8:06 PM

May 2012
It's another badly executed harem with a stupid plot. If you like such anime, then you can consider this anime worth watching. I think it's garbage though and I only watch it to laugh at how bad this show is.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
May 24, 2013 9:01 PM

Apr 2013
I'm saying Neutral because..

1. The beginning sucked but it actually improved in the last few episodes..

2. Maybe the remaining episodes will be amazing.
May 24, 2013 9:05 PM

Sep 2012
The show as a whole is alright, but if you're bored and like harems, it'll entertain you.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
May 24, 2013 11:06 PM

Jun 2012
Well obviously everyone has different taste. What works for one person might not work for another, especially if their anime compatibility level isn't very high.

That being said, I highly recommend this show and every week has been an amazing and fun experience so far. Date A Live is a very enjoyable show with likeable characters, an interesting premise, and gorgeous art.

The real question is what are you waiting for. If you like the first couple of episodes, then you should enjoy the others.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
May 24, 2013 11:41 PM

Mar 2013
Not that bad compared to that Devil Survivor shit
May 25, 2013 12:09 AM

Jan 2013
Devil survivor is on another level of shit ..
May 25, 2013 12:45 AM

May 2013
Hase0 said:
Devil survivor is on another level of shit ..

you mean that it is currently the most shitty anime ever........

" People are like dice, you choose the path you throw yourself into. "
WARNING: THIS USER'S POSTS ARE HIS OPINION. YOU DON'T HAVE TO (DIS)AGREE WITH THEM. IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THIS OPINION, DO THAT WITH VALID ARGUMENTS (NO SPELLING/GRAMMARCHECKS, DON'T POINT OUT YOUR SUPPOSED SUPERIORITY). ACTING UPON THIS OPINION IS AT OWN RISK.
May 25, 2013 12:49 AM

Mar 2012
^You need to put that in your sig so you don't need to type it again everytime.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 27, 2013 2:20 PM

Nov 2012
I put neutral.
The female characters are the only reason I keep watching it.
On the other hand, I keep getting angry everytime I see Shido. I Don't like his character at all.
May 27, 2013 2:57 PM

Oct 2012
The last few episodes have been great, and it's quite an enjoyable series. I'd say yes
May 27, 2013 5:18 PM

Mar 2009
Too early to say, in my opinion.
If forced, however, I'd say that the series seems aimed just a bit above mediocrity. Right now, I see it as no more than an amusing diversion.

The concept is ridiculous. Whether or not its idiocy manages to also be hilarious is probably a matter of taste. Unfortunately, the series takes itself way too seriously way too frequently to make particularly good use of its inherent idiocy. Instead, it just comes across as a weak excuse to build a supernatural harem.

The overall story has been very formulaic and is thus rather predictable for experienced anime viewers, despite a few minor twists. This could change in the coming episodes, mostly depending on a particular character, but I'm reasonably certain that it won't. The history of the world - the backstory - however, is intriguing. As in, I'd really like to figure out exactly how the events in the series came to pass. There is sufficient mystery for me to remain marginally interested in the show.

The characters are, for the most part, paper-thin (the male lead being the worst offender), and there are roughly no interesting dynamics between them; these are typically very bad things in a series that isn't focused purely on comedy or that isn't stuffed to the brim with hair-raising action. Despite this, the cast manages to somehow be vaguely amusing. Furthermore, most of the characters aren't flat-out stupid, which is a plus, and the characters have some mild amount of grit and determination: another plus.

Regarding the series' more technical aspects, the animation and action sequence choreography are decent, but not great. However, the art is sharp; the animation direction is a little more adventurous than average; and, for what it's worth, the girls are moderately cute. The music is okay, and the opening theme is excellent. Not that it's worth watching something solely for the opening theme.

I dunno; it just doesn't seem like all that special of a show in the grand scheme of anime. That said, though, I find myself looking forward to it each week.
ZetaAspectMay 27, 2013 5:28 PM
Graph provided to verify that I am a CERTIFIED pretentious jerk.
Jun 5, 2013 5:58 PM
May 2013
I say fuck it, and watch it. Its good but rushed.... that's the one thing I hate.

WARNING!
THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO EMPLOY THE KNOWLEDGE OF IDIOT.
READ/INTERPRET/LIKE/AGREE/KILL/SHOOT/SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Jun 6, 2013 1:30 AM
Feb 2012
At first I was contemplating whether to keep watching it or not (for the record, I wasn't too fond of the first episode) but luckily I did continue and I don't regret it for a single bit. Give it a try. Who knows, it might turn into one of your favourite series.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 6, 2013 1:38 AM

May 2013
I was pretty skeptical about the series at the start reading the series overview. I mean "making people fall in love with you to save them? Lol?" but actually its a pretty good anime with some action, romance, and comedy. Sure the plot may not be Academy Award winning material but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. So my advice would be to watch it and see for yourself, you just might enjoy it.
Jun 6, 2013 6:21 AM

Dec 2012
After watched eps 1-2 I've dropped this anime, I have no idea what happen coz everything just went very fast, WAY too fast in fact.. (I don't read the LN)
But when eps 3-8 out, I've free time and tried to give it a shot for 2nd time, and I actually enjoying this. I was like 'what the hell?' when I understand the plot, but well, at least the comedy and action still amuse me.
And now after 10 eps has out, I begin to realize this anime could be multiple times better than it is now if they handles it better... the makers it is.
Jun 6, 2013 12:44 PM

Apr 2010
If you like pointless harem comedies, sure. If not, no.
Jun 9, 2013 4:16 AM

May 2013
Well, let say this anime lost its much potential. It could be way better than this one
Jun 9, 2013 4:21 AM

Nov 2012
for me yes it is worth. It has something unique...(plot,characters you know)
Jun 10, 2013 1:21 AM

Sep 2012
Worth reading, not watching.
Jun 10, 2013 1:58 AM

Sep 2012
Watching can enhance your experience of reading. That's what it really counts.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 10, 2013 1:59 AM

Jan 2013
Even if the show is dumb, I'm still going to watch it for the extremely high chance of unintentional comedy.

Sometimes laughing at a show is better than laughing at its jokes.
Jun 10, 2013 2:00 AM

Sep 2012
Solvite said:
Even if the show is dumb, I'm still going to watch it for the extremely high chance of unintentional comedy.
Some of them may in fact be intentional, you'd never know.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 10, 2013 2:03 AM

Jan 2013
symbv said:
Solvite said:
Some of them may in fact be intentional, you'd never know.

That's the best kind of unintentional comedy.

If i had to pick a reason not to watch this show, it would be that they cant decide between moe or ecchi.

The girls are all seemingly 3 feet tall in the pics ive seen, like your standard deformed moeblobs, yet they have giant manbody crushing superthighs like most ecchi characters.
Jun 10, 2013 2:11 AM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
Watching can enhance your experience of reading. That's what it really counts.

This.

The anime made me plan on reading the light novels now.
Jun 10, 2013 2:12 AM

Jan 2013
I love it, just watch it.
'If people refuse to accept you, then I'll just accept you even more.'
Jun 10, 2013 2:30 AM

Sep 2012
Solvite said:
That's the best kind of unintentional comedy.
If you have to think it is unintentional to make you more it for you, I guess that's fine.
Solvite said:
If i had to pick a reason not to watch this show, it would be that they cant decide between moe or ecchi.
Well, it is nothing new for anime blurring the line between moe and ecchi (whatever the two words mean as they clearly can mean different thing to different people).

Jun 15, 2013 3:36 AM

May 2013
Worth it. Love the right mix of comedy, harem and action
Tch.
Jun 15, 2013 4:30 AM
Jun 2013
It ain't great. But it's still pretty entertaining, decent harem IMHO.
I love dem Astral dresses XD
Jun 19, 2013 7:38 AM

Oct 2012
Neutral & a bit worth
I like Origami & her VA and that what makes me watching this :)
Also additional Yandere is plus point too

But maybe if you like this kind of genre.. maybe TWGOK is better?
Well my opinion :)
"Signature removed"
Jun 19, 2013 7:46 AM

Jul 2012
Here's one small reason why you should watch it.

Jun 27, 2013 5:19 AM

Sep 2011
Worth.

It was a bit rushed, but at least there's a second season.

Don't even bother reading any of the reviews. All they say is "omg fanservice and cliches - so it must be bad!" In fact, that's what bandwagoning posters on every anime review page (which ironically, makes their reviews somewhat cliche themselves).

Proof? It is strange how they never bash on the light novels - even though the anime copies much of the novels scene-for-scene. Many people actually enjoyed the light novel - but apparently, there is always something to critique about when an anime is based off of it. I've lost my faith in the reviews, as they're just glorified posts that claim that an anime can't be enjoyable if it has fanservice or cliches (god knows why they sat through all 12 episodes if they hated it - or why they're even reviewing it if they haven't even finished it). Apparently, their 'tastes' in anime are just too 'refined' to be entertained by these kinds of shows. It disgusts me.
Jun 27, 2013 5:22 AM

Oct 2011
redcobrawr said:

I assume that this was supposed to be an image of Kurumi (or any of the other girls) in lingerie?
Jun 27, 2013 5:28 AM

May 2012
IMO Date A Live was a pretty hopeless show with almost zero redeeming factors.

If you like fanservice and a handful of otaku references then go ahead, but don't expect anything more than that. It's incredibly superficial and has no substance.
Jun 27, 2013 6:44 AM

Sep 2011
1-6 = meh BUT not regrettable
7-10 = good (super worth it!)
11-12 = better than 1-6
Jun 27, 2013 8:36 PM

Oct 2008
Polychrome said:
redcobrawr said:

I assume that this was supposed to be an image of Kurumi (or any of the other girls) in lingerie?

I think he got the wrong picture there.
That's definitely not Kurumi.
Jun 30, 2013 9:03 PM

Sep 2011
Perisher said:

If you like fanservice and a handful of otaku references then go ahead, but don't expect anything more than that. It's incredibly superficial and has no substance.

Your statement itself is highly superficial. You basically just described K-On! to the 'T', and yet you gave that series a 9. A series with 'no substance' would not merit a multi-volume Light Novel, a 2-season Anime, and a Video Game.
Jul 2, 2013 4:00 AM

May 2012
edmond321 said:
Perisher said:

Your statement itself is highly superficial. You basically just described K-On! to the 'T', and yet you gave that series a 9. A series with 'no substance' would not merit a multi-volume Light Novel, a 2-season Anime, and a Video Game.

Are you serious?

K-on! had character development, excellent music, comedy, and a unique presentation. Date A Live has none of this. It has fanservice, a weak script and basically nothing else.

I'm very aware that Date a Live has a bunch of LN's, a game and another season coming up. You'd have to be a complete fool to think that this means it's good though. Just because something makes money does not mean it is good.
Jan 21, 2014 11:24 PM

Dec 2010
Definitely worth it. It's my favorite anime of 2013.
Feb 23, 2014 9:17 AM

Jun 2013
Worth.
Mar 3, 2014 6:41 AM
May 2012
I think it was worth to watch.
Jul 27, 2014 3:18 PM

Nov 2012
I don't think Action + Romance + Harem is bad. But after watching 3 episodes I am starting to get sick of it. Should I really watch it to the end? I mean the story is so fucked up. And then I thought what a waste, such a good art. Should I really really continue to watch this? The char development have an absurdly sharp turning. Haiz, and the dialogue... You can say it's not amusing.
Jul 27, 2014 3:33 PM

Nov 2010
Not worth it, epecially the sequel.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

190 by Hououin_Kyouma32 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Female (only) anime viewers Reviews on Tokisaki Kurumi.

Zark_42 - Apr 20

3 by IceCreamScene »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

284 by lordben69 »»
Apr 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2013

150 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 11, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

272 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 11, 4:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.