Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 23, 2013 2:02 PM
Apr 2012
It sounds like "Damn it feels good to be a gangster", at least the start of it
May 24, 2013 8:39 PM
Aug 2012
^ this
The name of the song is Tsuki no Hana by nano. ripe

I'm messaging here to tell you your not alone, because i'm having eargasm hearing it over and over
Jun 23, 2013 11:26 PM

Sep 2009
I saw something in tumnblr, and I want to post it here so badly .. especially about the ED..
>> this is the link<<

This is what he posted:
ED reveals depressing truth behind Devil is a Part-Timer!

Episode 06 of The Devil is a Part-Timer debuted a new ending filled with disturbing imagery that I believe reveals the true nature of the show. Throughout the ending, there are several motifs that stand out.

The first obvious theme is Chiho’s multiple outfits. She’s shown dressed up in one outfit after another, as if she can play many different roles.

The second motif is the clock theme. The clock shows up in nearly every scene (although it’s harder to find in some of them), but it’s a very blatant symbol, as the hand keeps ticking down time in each of the sequences.

The third motif is Chiho’s utter alone-ness. No matter the situation, she is always alone - often accented by empty theaters or wide, open spaces.

Chiho as an astronaut, all alone, with a large clock in the background.

The ending showcases Chiho going on several adventures - safaris, dancing, even into outer space. And yet tucked away between all these exciting adventures of her looking happy is one moment of tears. As if she knows something we don’t. What could it be?

The final scene in the ED gives us the big reveal. Chiho stands in front of a display case showing all of her friends as mannequins - implying that none of them are real. The wild adventures Chiho has been having in this ending sequence are all products of her imagination, and this story is just another imaginary tale that she’s dreamt up. It explains why she took such a liking to Mao in such a short time - she created him to be her ideal man. The fact that his behavior is suddenly empathetic (despite him being a human-slaying demon in the other world) is testament to this. “Beauty tames the beast” is a very popular romance trope. Everything about the story works in her favor. All the other girls who show up carefully avoid being romantic rivals. Chiho understands the language of Ente Isla - supposedly due to second hand exposure to magic (coincidence?). She finds herself at the center of every conflict, but winds up largely unhurt. Conflicts even resolve themselves in a fairly quick and painless manner (Mao lets Lucifer move in, even after the murder attempt? That’s pretty swell of him!) Despite Chiho being an absolutely “normal” person, the world and conflicts still find a way to revolve around her. The truth is that Chiho is utterly alone, and this story is a fantasy she’s built in her mind so that she can have the companionship she longs for.

Okay, so what’s the deal with the ticking clock? A ticking clock almost always represents running out of time. In Chiho’s case, she’s probably dying, which is why she’s currently alone. She’s lying in a hospital be somewhere, and going all adventures in her mind in her last moments. Think that’s a stretch? Let’s go back to the first image from the ED.

What’s that on her head? Headphones, you say? What about those weird bumps on the top? Could it potentially be something monitoring her brainwave activity? IN THE HOSPITAL?

The Devil is a Part-Timer may be a fun series on the surface, but the ending sequence reveals the truth is much darker.
Jun 24, 2013 1:56 PM

Mar 2012
Zel_Ezl said:

It's the puppet theory all over again.
The headphone thing is a stretch, but I actually like this one.
Jun 25, 2013 9:04 AM

Sep 2009
ataraxial said:
Zel_Ezl said:

It's the puppet theory all over again.
The headphone thing is a stretch, but I actually like this one.

Lol, okay :D
But, what's with the link that you shared? hehe :)
Umm, I don't watch Yuyushiki anymore though because I hate it and I don't know why XD
Jun 25, 2013 9:10 AM

Sep 2009
@ataraxial -- Lol. I just read it and wtf! It feels like I want to watch this series again XD
Jun 25, 2013 12:06 PM

Jul 2012
its like capitain tsubasa all over again D:
Jun 29, 2013 11:40 AM
Mar 2013
Zel_Ezl said:
I saw something in tumnblr, and I want to post it here so badly .. especially about the ED..
>> this is the link<<

This is what he posted:

Episode 06 of The Devil is a Part-Timer debuted a new ending filled with disturbing imagery that I believe reveals the true nature of the show. Throughout the ending, there are several motifs that stand out.

The first obvious theme is Chiho’s multiple outfits. She’s shown dressed up in one outfit after another, as if she can play many different roles.

The second motif is the clock theme. The clock shows up in nearly every scene (although it’s harder to find in some of them), but it’s a very blatant symbol, as the hand keeps ticking down time in each of the sequences.

The third motif is Chiho’s utter alone-ness. No matter the situation, she is always alone - often accented by empty theaters or wide, open spaces.

The ending showcases Chiho going on several adventures - safaris, dancing, even into outer space. And yet tucked away between all these exciting adventures of her looking happy is one moment of tears. As if she knows something we don’t. What could it be?

The final scene in the ED gives us the big reveal. Chiho stands in front of a display case showing all of her friends as mannequins - implying that none of them are real. The wild adventures Chiho has been having in this ending sequence are all products of her imagination, and this story is just another imaginary tale that she’s dreamt up. It explains why she took such a liking to Mao in such a short time - she created him to be her ideal man. The fact that his behavior is suddenly empathetic (despite him being a human-slaying demon in the other world) is testament to this. “Beauty tames the beast” is a very popular romance trope. Everything about the story works in her favor. All the other girls who show up carefully avoid being romantic rivals. Chiho understands the language of Ente Isla - supposedly due to second hand exposure to magic (coincidence?). She finds herself at the center of every conflict, but winds up largely unhurt. Conflicts even resolve themselves in a fairly quick and painless manner (Mao lets Lucifer move in, even after the murder attempt? That’s pretty swell of him!) Despite Chiho being an absolutely “normal” person, the world and conflicts still find a way to revolve around her. The truth is that Chiho is utterly alone, and this story is a fantasy she’s built in her mind so that she can have the companionship she longs for.

Okay, so what’s the deal with the ticking clock? A ticking clock almost always represents running out of time. In Chiho’s case, she’s probably dying, which is why she’s currently alone. She’s lying in a hospital be somewhere, and going all adventures in her mind in her last moments. Think that’s a stretch? Let’s go back to the first image from the ED.

What’s that on her head? Headphones, you say? What about those weird bumps on the top? Could it potentially be something monitoring her brainwave activity? IN THE HOSPITAL?

The Devil is a Part-Timer may be a fun series on the surface, but the ending sequence reveals the truth is much darker.

vgh
Jun 29, 2013 12:15 PM

May 2012
i like the thoughts and its somewhat sad ..
but my interpretation of it is opposite, shes all alone till she meets 'them'..

Jun 30, 2013 3:03 AM
Nov 2011
Zel_Ezl said:
>> this is the link<<

This is what he posted:

mindblown @____@
and somehow sad
Jun 30, 2013 3:30 AM

Sep 2012
Somehow "this is all imagination" theory is very popular in MAL for this season's anime. This is the third anime where someone raised such theory in this forum...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 30, 2013 7:23 AM
Jun 2013
what are the two other animes with theories?
Jun 30, 2013 7:51 PM

Mar 2012
XDurandal said:
what are the two other animes with theories?

Yuyushiki is one, but @symbv, do tell us the third.
Oct 28, 2013 9:39 PM

Oct 2013
omg that is so well though out
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Oct 28, 2013 9:41 PM
May 2012
Dat necro, but thanks for it.

That interpretation is amazing...
May 3, 2014 4:11 PM

Oct 2013
Holy crap. Even though this is a comedy series, I would not be disappointed if this is how a season 2 ended. Just the imagination put into this is brilliant. Plus I like huge plot twists.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

621 by bakakisima »»
Apr 4, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

345 by foofooplay »»
Mar 21, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2013

328 by NutsTheBerker »»
Mar 16, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 2, 2013

374 by Ailastara »»
Feb 26, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2013

483 by 0ssi »»
Jan 24, 4:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.