Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 2013 11:30 AM

Sep 2008
What do you think about Vampire Knight?
May 23, 2013 7:20 PM

Dec 2008
Started out very interesting. Went down to decent. Went down to god awful.
May 23, 2013 8:01 PM
Feb 2013
Another Shit Tier vampire series. I give it a 1. Yuki is a terrible slut of a heroine. Kaname was a pathetic villain wannabe hero. And Zero was awesome until he became a doormat in the last few chapters.

Fuck this shit.
May 23, 2013 9:05 PM

Mar 2012
Don't waste your time.
May 23, 2013 9:27 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Kurokolist said:
Another Shit Tier vampire series. I give it a 1. Yuki is a terrible slut of a heroine. Kaname was a pathetic villain wannabe hero. And Zero was awesome until he became a doormat in the last few chapters.

Fuck this shit.

I love your post. I think I read like 50 something chapters and dropped it because Yuki started to annoy me...couldn't take it. The only character I ever cared for in the manga was Zero, but even he couldn't make me continue to read the manga because my hatred for Yuki and Kaname was too much. Plus I heard that it sucks. I honestly did like it in the beginning but after Yuki went vampire mode I was like no.
May 24, 2013 4:05 AM

Aug 2010
sarroush said:

+1
May 24, 2013 5:01 AM

Nov 2007
It was perfectly interesting in the beginning, but it was painful when 2nd arc began... Keep changing the pairing and stuff.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 24, 2013 10:36 PM
May 2013
volatile said:
Don't waste your time.

totally agree. i wish i could erase all about VK out of my head.

the first half is quite interesting, the other half is too boring and awful

i feel like Hino sensei dont know what to do with her mess up.
May 25, 2013 8:07 AM

Apr 2011
Barion-Zara said:
sarroush said:

+1

+1
May 25, 2013 11:57 AM

May 2013
1 out of 5.

I give it 1 point for introducing Zero to me.
May 25, 2013 11:58 AM
Jul 2012
Twilight shit.
Not watching it.
1/5
May 25, 2013 5:35 PM

Nov 2007
SayNOtoIncest said:

May I ask you why?
May 26, 2013 3:20 AM

Sep 2009
CrescentYozora25 said:
Barion-Zara said:
sarroush said:

+1

+1

+1
May 28, 2013 2:27 PM

May 2013
tsubasalover said:
SayNOtoIncest said:

May I ask you why?

Because Zero is the only interesting thing to appear in this manga. He's strong, endures so much anguish, risks his life for others and avoids ever saying mushy, sappy things. He should have just wrapped his bloodsucking vines around every character, except Kaito, Yori and Yagari, and killed them off.
May 28, 2013 2:40 PM

Jan 2013
SayNOtoIncest said:
1 out of 5.

Yes! I love Zero! However, to answer the question how I feel about this manga I'll just ask you, Which Zero?
May 28, 2013 9:01 PM
Jan 2011
In the beginning I liked it. In the first 2 arcs it was good. First half of the third arc held potential, but beyond that it went down hill. I am just stubborn and felt a need to finish it.
May 29, 2013 12:36 PM

Mar 2010
I can't say I hate it because it was really amazing pre- first time skip. The character dynamic and characters themselves were done very well. But then... I guess money happened and Hino decided to milk the hell out of it. It felt forced. Everything did. The characters, the plot, the relationships. I think she either wanted to finish it before the first time skip or to end it few chapters after. Because so many mini plots felt so extremely pointless. Not to mention that it felt as if romance was the main thing in the story. I can handle a bit romance here and there... even more than a bit but every chapter had something to do with either Yume or Zeki. >_> Considering how it relied on plot in the first few arcs and how the romance was just a side effect to the characters and plot, this was a huge disappointment. My issues with the ending are already explained in the chapter discussion. All in all, I never hated this, so I would rate it 2/5. BUT honestly, despite how much I liked Kaname as a character and the first few arcs for... well, everything (aside for Zero) I just CAN'T rate this any higher than 1/5.
May 29, 2013 12:40 PM

Sep 2011
had potential but threw that all away and made a inconsistent mess with some of the most downright unlikable characters and biggest clusterfucks of a overarching plot.

Vampire knight makes guilty crown look like shakespeare

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 29, 2013 9:12 PM

Jun 2009
Can't say I would ever recommend it to anyone due to the messy plot and ridiculous love triangle but I still don't feel like it was a waste of my time because the art was gorgeous and I liked/loved many of the characters. Basically I will most likely read Hino's next work but I will be prepared for her trolling ways...
May 30, 2013 8:17 AM

Nov 2007
SayNOtoIncest said:
tsubasalover said:
SayNOtoIncest said:

May I ask you why?

Because Zero is the only interesting thing to appear in this manga. He's strong, endures so much anguish, risks his life for others and avoids ever saying mushy, sappy things. He should have just wrapped his bloodsucking vines around every character, except Kaito, Yori and Yagari, and killed them off.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood you then. From that sentence I thought you disliked Zero but then you have Zero icon on you (contradicting);
Jun 2, 2013 3:40 AM

Dec 2009
Amazing premise. Sh*tfaced conclusion.
Jun 2, 2013 4:18 AM

Apr 2011
Everything was quite bad.
Jun 5, 2013 6:12 PM
Apr 2013
This manga is a victim of its own success, unfortunately. On the grand scale of bad mangas I've read, this one isn't nearly as stupid as a smut shoujo, for example. However, what works against Vampire Knight is that it started off good, and then got SO BAD. If it had been shit to begin with and then maintained that quality, no one would be complaining because you knew what you were getting into going in. The problem with this manga was that we didn't know. We thought it was something better than what the author was actually capable of.

As a manga, Vampire Knight had so much (utterly wasted) potential.

There were so many interesting themes the manga could have developed. But rather than doing anything with them, the manga pandered to the lowest common denominator and spammed the love triangle. And did the love triangle poorly! Which was the biggest joke of all.

VK wasted everything but the romance, but delivered a romance that going by the comments, none of the shippers were very happy with. Whether your ship sailed (Zero x Yuuki), or sank (Kaname x Yuuki), you didn't get an ending you could be completely happy with. Kaname didn't get the girl, but people who liked his pairing could be sort of OK with Yuuki using her dying breath to do something nice for him. Zero didn't get many doki doki moments in the last few chapters with Yuuki, but people who liked his pairing could be sort of OK that he did get endgame.

But did any of us stick with this manga for years just for "sort of OK"? Even if you were like me and didn't ship, this kind of wishy-washy ending was a disappointment because it wasn't a good conclusion to this story. Personally, I wanted to feel like the ending made sense, like everything in the manga was leading to a certain point. Even if I didn't like the way things had ended up, I still could have respected the author for having a plan and sticking to it. What VK proved in the end was that the plan was ditched long ago and all we were left with was fanservice, which was all the ending was. A sad attempt to make everyone happy.

But who can be happy with this mess of a manga?

The major co-existence subplot was a joke. Of all the failures in the manga, this was my biggest disappointment. Co-existence was Kaname's major part of the storyline (since that was supposedly part why he did what he did), but Hino's development and explanation for it was a failure. Part of Kaname's problem in the manga SHOULD have been the fact that he was a relic of the past (pre-vampire council) and thought like a relic of the past, which is why it was OK with him to start a war and make himself king of vampire society. That was what people did back then. But the manga never made it explicit that the world had moved on from Kaname's way of thinking. Challenging him on this and showing why he was wrong, that there was a better way of making the world safe (other than killing Purebloods) would have helped A LOT for co-existence. Instead we got a half-assed "cure" for being a vampire. According to Hino's own canon, vampires were caused by a GENETIC MUTATION. There's no "cure" for that! They were an entirely other being.

Besides co-existence, there was so much other interesting stuff the manga brought up but never did anything with. There was some incredibly shitty parenting that went on in this manga that Hino never addressed. (Zero & Ichiru being trained as vampire hunters when they were barely school age, Cross pretty much ignoring Yuuki and Zero for most of the manga, Yuuki being allowed to become Kaname's fiance and go LIVE with him when she was just 16--when Cross knew the dude was 10,00 years old, Yuuki killing herself in front of her kids--I'm sure Zero would have had a lot to say about why that was a messed up thing to do. I could say so much more about this topic.)

And what about the class system in vampire society that was so rigid that Purebloods had to marry their own siblings and it was a crime for Shizuka to love an ex-human?

And that's just scratching the surface. So many characters I liked that never became more than plot fodder. So many mysteries that never got solved. (What happened to Rido? Did he spend that 1,000 years Kaname was frozen hanging around his body? And what about "the cure"? How many vampires took it, and what happened to the ones who refused?) If we were to start talking about it, we'd get pages of comments about all the themes, characters, and story developments that Hino never did anything with.

In summary, I'm glad the manga is over and it's time to move on to something I like better. And no, I won't be reading anything by Hino Matsuri ever again. VK was a big enough of a fuck up that she doesn't deserve a second chance. Even a semi-competent mangaka wouldn't have ruined her characters (especially her main character) and her plot the way Hino did. Looking at VK, I would say it's going to be a long, long time before she ever reaches the level of a "semi-competent mangaka."
Jul 30, 2013 9:30 AM

Jul 2013
Ana93 said:
This manga is a victim of its own success, unfortunately. On the grand scale of bad mangas I've read, this one isn't nearly as stupid as a smut shoujo, for example. However, what works against Vampire Knight is that it started off good, and then got SO BAD. If it had been shit to begin with and then maintained that quality, no one would be complaining because you knew what you were getting into going in. The problem with this manga was that we didn't know. We thought it was something better than what the author was actually capable of.

There were so many interesting themes the manga could have developed. But rather than doing anything with them, the manga pandered to the lowest common denominator and spammed the love triangle. And did the love triangle poorly! Which was the biggest joke of all.

VK wasted everything but the romance, but delivered a romance that going by the comments, none of the shippers were very happy with. Whether your ship sailed (Zero x Yuuki), or sank (Kaname x Yuuki), you didn't get an ending you could be completely happy with. Kaname didn't get the girl, but people who liked his pairing could be sort of OK with Yuuki using her dying breath to do something nice for him. Zero didn't get many doki doki moments in the last few chapters with Yuuki, but people who liked his pairing could be sort of OK that he did get endgame.

But did any of us stick with this manga for years just for "sort of OK"? Even if you were like me and didn't ship, this kind of wishy-washy ending was a disappointment because it wasn't a good conclusion to this story. Personally, I wanted to feel like the ending made sense, like everything in the manga was leading to a certain point. Even if I didn't like the way things had ended up, I still could have respected the author for having a plan and sticking to it. What VK proved in the end was that the plan was ditched long ago and all we were left with was fanservice, which was all the ending was. A sad attempt to make everyone happy.

But who can be happy with this mess of a manga?

The major co-existence subplot was a joke. Of all the failures in the manga, this was my biggest disappointment. Co-existence was Kaname's major part of the storyline (since that was supposedly part why he did what he did), but Hino's development and explanation for it was a failure. Part of Kaname's problem in the manga SHOULD have been the fact that he was a relic of the past (pre-vampire council) and thought like a relic of the past, which is why it was OK with him to start a war and make himself king of vampire society. That was what people did back then. But the manga never made it explicit that the world had moved on from Kaname's way of thinking. Challenging him on this and showing why he was wrong, that there was a better way of making the world safe (other than killing Purebloods) would have helped A LOT for co-existence. Instead we got a half-assed "cure" for being a vampire. According to Hino's own canon, vampires were caused by a GENETIC MUTATION. There's no "cure" for that! They were an entirely other being.

Besides co-existence, there was so much other interesting stuff the manga brought up but never did anything with. There was some incredibly shitty parenting that went on in this manga that Hino never addressed. (Zero & Ichiru being trained as vampire hunters when they were barely school age, Cross pretty much ignoring Yuuki and Zero for most of the manga, Yuuki being allowed to become Kaname's fiance and go LIVE with him when she was just 16--when Cross knew the dude was 10,00 years old, Yuuki killing herself in front of her kids--I'm sure Zero would have had a lot to say about why that was a messed up thing to do. I could say so much more about this topic.)

And what about the class system in vampire society that was so rigid that Purebloods had to marry their own siblings and it was a crime for Shizuka to love an ex-human?

And that's just scratching the surface. So many characters I liked that never became more than plot fodder. So many mysteries that never got solved. (What happened to Rido? Did he spend that 1,000 years Kaname was frozen hanging around his body? And what about "the cure"? How many vampires took it, and what happened to the ones who refused?) If we were to start talking about it, we'd get pages of comments about all the themes, characters, and story developments that Hino never did anything with.

In summary, I'm glad the manga is over and it's time to move on to something I like better. And no, I won't be reading anything by Hino Matsuri ever again. VK was a big enough of a fuck up that she doesn't deserve a second chance. Even a semi-competent mangaka wouldn't have ruined her characters (especially her main character) and her plot the way Hino did. Looking at VK, I would say it's going to be a long, long time before she ever reaches the level of a "semi-competent mangaka."

This was so well-written and I agree 100% on it.

I never HATED the manga persay. I was actually liking it until Hino added on the nonsense and wrote the epic fail ending that she could have done a lot of a better job on. I planned to purchase some of the volumes when the manga ended, but changed my mind deeply since everytime that I think of Vampire Knight, the thought of it would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd rather an author write something and sticking to HER/HIS own ideas than trying to please the fans and write them what they want. I'm just glad that the majority of people who've read this manga think the same about the plot.
Jul 30, 2013 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
Well I think it was okay.Sure I hated the direction it took near the end,but I did like a lot of parts in it in the beginning and the middle of it too.So it had it's good and bad parts.
Anyone thinking of reading it well have to be ready for a major disappointment though,as the ending is really bad (imo),you'll feel as if the manga's whole purpose is to please the shippers by the end.

Well at least the ending did give the most/only interesting character -Kaname the ending he deserves,or close to it.As he actually,unlike the other main characters,has made great achievements.
SalxerJul 30, 2013 11:37 AM
Aug 17, 2013 8:28 PM

Nov 2009
I have to agree with pretty much everyone else as well. It seemed to have a pretty strong beginning, despite the fact that I didn't truly car for Yuuki and was much more interested in Zero instead. However, later on the manga seemed to drive far away from the force it used to have and then it pretty much went downhill from there. But, overall the series was okay and pretty average to me. Didn't completely hate it, but most certainly didn't love i either.
May 27, 2016 5:07 PM
Mar 2016
glad i didn't waste my time reading the manga because after seeing so many readers upset....yikes. it was like a mexican novela, reminded me of "lo que la vida me robo". if you want a love story + vampires then i suggest reading owari no seraph.
May 30, 2016 3:07 PM
Mar 2015
Not the usual cliched shit you find in shoujo Ending was unique
Nov 17, 2016 6:34 AM

Nov 2016
At the first I liked so much that i bought a physical manga in my language.

But the history went to a strange way losting its focus
There's no heart without you!

Dec 12, 2016 11:40 AM

Feb 2015
I didn't find beginning of the manga interesting at all. It's only that I liked Yuki more when she was human. Later, when she 'became' a vampire again, she was just 'meh' to me.
Not a bad shoujo manga though. It's much better than anime adaptation, in my opinion.
Victorian-DollSep 30, 2017 11:41 AM

Dec 12, 2016 5:05 PM

Nov 2014
it was ok at first, but then it got super weird.

Mar 29, 2017 4:14 AM

Oct 2016
SayNOtoIncest said:
tsubasalover said:

May I ask you why?

I was excited about this when I first saw it and totally fell deeply in love with Zero. The story was ok but most of the things makes me want to kill Yuki and Kaname with all my might for all the sufferings they have brought upon Zero.

I'm just thankful to Matsuri-sensei from introducing Zero. The guy who deserves all the love he could get. Not the half-assed attention Yuki gives him.

I'm still in the process of reading it and I'm on the 11th volume but really I want to throw all my manga away. If only not for Zero, I've already did that one (same sentiments I had when I read Twilight but with that one I hated everything by the 2nd book).
May 25, 2017 8:28 PM

Sep 2013
The original Twilight, might even be the inspiration for it.
May 25, 2017 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
ichii_1 said:
The original Twilight, might even be the inspiration for it.

You sir, have earned all my respect. I congratulate you.
Sep 22, 2017 9:33 AM

Mar 2014
that necro though

I love the mango and I am not ashamed to admit it, I understand why other people dislike it though. I mostly loved the melancholy atmosphere and the gorgeous art. Regardless, that ending fucked me over worse than Hirunaka no Ryuusei
Sep 22, 2017 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
I was a huge fan of this anime & manga when I was 12-14 and now I realize that it was basically Twilight the animu series
*hack hack wheeze*
Apr 1, 2020 11:33 AM
Apr 2018
the game of thrones like ending ruined it for me: yeah just kill off everyone I'M SURE THAT WILL WORK
Apr 20, 2020 3:33 PM
Sep 2013
i watched vampire knight in my younger years a few times and loved it. this quarantine i decided to read the manga for nostalgia and to finally finish the story (since the anime only covers the first(?) arc). i agree with the popular opinion that the story got a little messy, but imo the overall story and characters were/are unforgettable. i am particular with endings, though i thought Matsuri's bittersweet ending fit most beautifully. its been a day since ive finished my first read through but my mind is still stuck on the last pages, unwilling to let go. i rarely post, it just hurt a little reading all the negative reviews. if you havent yet, i hope you give Vampire Knight a try.
Feb 13, 2021 1:11 PM
Jun 2020
The heroine is a slutty shallow disappointment. She gave up everything she had to be with a shit tier wannabe anti hero than came back to zero with her new kid only to make a new one with the guy she abandoned. Yea she was depressed for a like a chapter but she’s just an awful person and a terribly written character
May 7, 2021 6:35 AM
May 2021
It was the biggest waste of my time. Honestly speaking there was tooooo many times where I couldn't help but cringe at the 'comedy' and that sorry excuse of a main heroine (which btw she was weaker than Sakura, Hinata and Orihime combined) The "romance" was disgusting all together with that dumpster fire of a story and plot. The English and Japanese voice actors clearly didn't read over the script before voicing the characters. Till this day, I wonder....how this graced our screens for 2 SEASONS! Also keep in mind that this thing went through producers, critics, directors, editors! How did this pass them like a breeze?!!! If the anime series and manga had a star rating from -10 to 10, I would give it a HARD -10
Honestly game...STAY.AWAY.FROM.VAMPIREFUCKINKNIGHT! I have warned you!
May 7, 2021 6:44 AM
May 2021
ASS! EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE FROM THE CHARACTERS DEVELOPMENT TO THE SLUT OF A PROTAGONIST! I WONT LET THE DUMPSTER FIRE OF A SHOW HURT YOU IF YOU DONT WATCH IT!
STAY FAAAARRRRRRRRR AWAY FROM THIS! EVEN THE FANFICS ABOUT THIS SHITFEST OF A SHOW HAS OUTDID THE CREATOR OF THE SHOW AND DONE BETTER JOBS AT WHAT THE CREATOR OF THE SHOW WANTED TO SHOW US, INSTEAD WATCHING THE SHOW WAS LIKE FINDING AN ANSWER TO A RIDDLE AND REALISING THAT THE ANSWER WAS A QUESTION!🤦
Oct 15, 2021 6:16 PM
Dec 2017
wish a reboot came already

Nov 7, 2021 4:24 PM
May 2018
i literally don't understand why people hate on it so much. it has enjoyable story and the characters are not even so bad people say they are. everyone have some sort of dramatic past, it has this double romance tension, the world and the story are easy to attach to. also it's not something heavy to read (or/and watch) and like i said it's very enjoyable and it has pretty good story telling. i'm saying my opinion like a regular spectator - not every anime or manga have to be some sort of a masterpiece, it's not that serious!
Dec 4, 2022 3:19 PM
Dec 2022
Ana93 said:

This comment is nearly a decade old but I could not agree more with it. Damn.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 68 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jan 22, 2011

26 by Ayano-Kinoshita »»
Apr 17, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 66 Discussion

tsubasalover - Oct 23, 2010

16 by Ayano-Kinoshita »»
Apr 16, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 93 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Lalalandzz - May 22, 2013

271 by weaboo_lord »»
Feb 4, 8:37 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 1 Discussion

VARIAchan - Nov 4, 2009

7 by miaeiner »»
Oct 17, 2023 5:14 PM

Poll: » Vampire Knight Chapter 58 Discussion

tsubasalover - Feb 19, 2010

30 by LaurenStark »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.