Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 25, 2013 9:33 AM

Nov 2011
Image breaks the page.
May 25, 2013 9:58 AM

Oct 2007
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Nope he just explained how much ridiculous were the stunts he pulled. Why was he so excited in episode 3? Because his predictions/visions went wrong. Time travel can affect/change events as ridiculous as it may sound like.

If you say those stunts were perfectly calculated, then i am calling them bs. The are too much illogical way over the limit. Oh nobody answered my simple question either..............just think about how many variables were there. Well who cares anyway?
First, before L-Elf can see future but now he can Time Travel? So how many times did L-Elf times travel during these 7 episodes?

Second, because L-Elf can time travel therefore he can pull impossible now, like bombing 20 story building in 15 minutes. I guess we can use time travel to explain this logic. Oh wait what is he doing time travel here? If his first intention was to come to this school and steal Red Valvrave and then took off, then why didn't he time travel to redo his mission when he failed?

Third, in your logic, it is possible for L-Elf to use time travel to kill 5000 armies but fail to steal Valvrave from a student.

Lastly, if you call this "ALMOST perfect calculation" BS then what do you call a man who can kill 5000 armies unscratched?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 25, 2013 10:15 AM
Aug 2012
Siva said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Nope he just explained how much ridiculous were the stunts he pulled. Why was he so excited in episode 3? Because his predictions/visions went wrong. Time travel can affect/change events as ridiculous as it may sound like.

If you say those stunts were perfectly calculated, then i am calling them bs. The are too much illogical way over the limit. Oh nobody answered my simple question either..............just think about how many variables were there. Well who cares anyway?
First, before L-Elf can see future but now he can Time Travel? So how many times did L-Elf times travel during these 7 episodes?

Second, because L-Elf can time travel therefore he can pull impossible now, like bombing 20 story building in 15 minutes. I guess we can use time travel to explain this logic. Oh wait what is he doing time travel here? If his first intention was to come to this school and steal Red Valvrave and then took off, then why didn't he time travel to redo his mission when he failed?

Third, in your logic, it is possible for L-Elf to use time travel to kill 5000 armies but fail to steal Valvrave from a student.

Lastly, if you call this "ALMOST perfect calculation" BS then what do you call a man who can kill 5000 armies unscratched?

- I was saying either he can see the future/ he came back from the future. Time travel isn't exactly wrong. But i guess it sounded wrong. But i didn't say he time traveled during all those time. Don't complicate stuff.
- You want to know what i would like to call him. A genuine monster without common sense, a freak of nature! Happy?
- Sorry to me his 5000 kill crap is every bit as ridiculous as the stunts in episode 3. I stopped caring about what he crap he pulls after that episode.
- You still haven't answered my question genius. Don't say something like he did it because he is the so cool L-elf!!!
- Let's add another one. He escaped from lasers and close range gunshot from fighter plane/mechas without a single scratch!!! There is something called force of impact but he is always uninjured. What is he........terminator??? Even he gets damaged.
- He doesn't want to take the risk without being sure (or he is just afraid to take a risk). But i don't like his fucked up mentality of turning the kids into soldiers or guinea pigs. Neither do i like Shouko's idea so i am just waiting for a third option to appear.

Sorry i don't find anything so cool about him. Maybe there is a reason he is like that. I will wait until they show that reason but until then i don't find any reason to like him!!!

May 25, 2013 10:31 AM

Mar 2012
KingForaDay said:
bastek66 said:
The surprise was Saki in 200 flash forward.

This^

I wonder if they'll do a 200 year time skip for the second season.
May 25, 2013 11:29 AM
Feb 2013
bastek66 said:
That was just overload of deathflags

Oh that poor girl, boy I hope that pinche L-elf dies.
May 25, 2013 12:18 PM

Oct 2007
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
- I was saying either he can see the future/ he came back from the future. Time travel isn't exactly wrong. But i guess it sounded wrong. But i didn't say he time traveled during all those time. Don't complicate stuff.
- You want to know what i would like to call him. A genuine monster without common sense, a freak of nature! Happy?
- Sorry to me his 5000 kill crap is every bit as ridiculous as the stunts in episode 3. I stopped caring about what he crap he pulls after that episode.
- You still haven't answered my question genius. Don't say something like he did it because he is the so cool L-elf!!!
- Let's add another one. He escaped from lasers and close range gunshot from fighter plane/mechas without a single scratch!!! There is something called force of impact but he is always uninjured. What is he........terminator??? Even he gets damaged.
- He doesn't want to take the risk without being sure (or he is just afraid to take a risk). But i don't like his fucked up mentality of turning the kids into soldiers or guinea pigs. Neither do i like Shouko's idea so i am just waiting for a third option to appear.

Sorry i don't find anything so cool about him. Maybe there is a reason he is like that. I will wait until they show that reason but until then i don't find any reason to like him!!!
I never forced you to believe me.

I never said I like L-Elf.

The reason I was making those statements and points was that to show that your wild guess was unreasonable.

To top it off, just because L-Elf was doing impossible things you refuse to believe it even though you knew it very clear that this is a fiction story where even god can exists.

Honestly, I have no idea what were you trying to make a point for. But its ok I am done but don't take it as I am mad.

May 25, 2013 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
bastek66 said:

im sure everyone saw that one coming
maybe she gets stuffed into one of the valvrave as an experiment by lelf to see if it revives dead people
taht time skip at the beggining, i guess whoever is the pilot of the valvrave will be living for at least 200 years or the very least become legends
the old man mentioned 7, golden 7 that means valrave II and valvarave vii exist or is in production?
thunder better get a vvv or im dropping this
(god/king) haruto goes tyrant in the future with lelf controling him taking over Dorssia?
sad theres no more boku ja nai
letswrokMay 25, 2013 12:56 PM
May 25, 2013 2:10 PM

Nov 2009
Cool episode!!!

This was a very well balanced episode with some good action parts towards the end. Seems like L-elf is moving forward with his plans and Haruto once again uses his abilities to take over him and save everyone. The cooking scene was pretty funny and I guess you shouldn't take things by their appearance. I didn't expect Sakurai, Aina to die in the battle and this has really shocked Takumi.
Also it seems like L-elf knows that girl in the picture and despite Haruto possessing his body, he feels emotions and feelings from it. There was also a slight change in the OP and a new ED was shown this time. That opening scene was very interesting and was that Rukino or a different person but it seems like a time skip!?

Looking forward to the next episode!!

5/5

May 25, 2013 4:33 PM

Jul 2007
Well this is officially the most hilarious trainwreck Everrrrr.

The flashforward was WTF. The only saving grace of the show so far and the reason why despite the last two episodes and L-Elf's and Shoko's mary sueness and Aquarion Evol vibe of love triangle, I am going to keep watching.

I don't know what to make of this show tbh. In moments like this episode or the premiere, the show really shines and shows what it can do. And then you have episodes like EP5 christmas caroling and songs and stuff like L-Elf bullshit and you can't help but facepalm.

ITs like this show is written by two writers - one competent and sober, the other drunk and stoned as hell, tripping butterflies and power rangers with ice cream on top.

Saki for the main character role? Let's just kill Wimpruto and have her as lead please?
AhenshihaelMay 25, 2013 4:38 PM
May 25, 2013 5:02 PM

Mar 2009
I am enjoying this show. I had a feeling things would take a turn for the dark very soon. From the beginning I always thought of it as a dark comedy. Now it's a little less comedic and a lot darker-- with more to come. Still, I was surprised (and a little sad) to see Aina die. At the same time I'm not sure why, halfway through the episode I had a strong feeling she might die. Poor girl, she did not deserve to go in such a gruesome manner. Q-Vier and his blood-lust seem like a bad combination for a soldier. I'd be shocked if he lived through the entire series. :P

Seven Valvrave pilots and their fight continues hundreds of years into the future? That scene gave me so many Gundam vibes. (For the few Gundam series I've seen, anyway.) Wow, the beginning of the episode was just one big mind screw. It's nice to see Saki's not going anywhere though. And who was that promise to? A friend? A lover?

I got some moments of my weird weekly fix from this show:

- I really enjoyed how L-Elf strolled into the kitchen like a boss, helped himself to Shoko's stew and then forcefully took over the school after she rejected his written outline for the colony.

-Drafted into the military? That blows. I guess Neverland is no more.

-Let's see, Haruto and Shoko still make an excellent pair, mainly because they complement each other so well. Though it seems like Haruto's fanbase is growing. Takahi has developed a taste for his... Pocky. Satomi just can't measure up to Haruto's suave nature, at least when he's body-jacked by Saki!

-Part of me really wants to see L-Elf pilot a Valvrave of his own. After this episode, I'm now convinced he'd be a tad too powerful. In his world there is no kill like overkill. That said, I like how he's as good at tactics like Lelouch from Code Geass but doesn't have an ounce of melodramatic flair. Thumbs up for the cool and pragmatic types.

Anyway, things look a tad depressing next week. I can't imagine anyone taking Aina's death well. I hope their new overlord, L-Elf, will at least give the group time to mourn.
May 25, 2013 5:15 PM

May 2009
RazorRamona200 said:
bastek66 said:

Oh that poor girl, boy I hope that pinche L-elf dies.

You mean Queer
May 25, 2013 5:20 PM

Jun 2011
L-Elf is honestly starting to get on my nerves at this point. What he does is cool, sure, but everything is just much too over-the-top. I can understand why someone would like him, but the way he so easily predicts everything just kind of ruins fight sequences for me. Admittedly, I did enjoy him using Haruto as a meat shield. :)

216-year old Saki is rather attractive. I really like her, so I'm glad that she's not going to die anytime soon. I think the person she's talking about keeping a promise to is Shoko.

I forgot that orange-haired bully guy's name, but I really like him. Looking forward to him the future episodes.

It's very easy to see Audrey's true intentions if you interpret him wanting L-Elf to become his "right hand" in the literal sense. winkwink

Oh dear, Aina.
[An incredibly creative signature]
May 25, 2013 5:26 PM

Jul 2007
Pseumincti said:
I think the person she's talking about keeping a promise to is Shoko.

Oh gods I hope so. Kill Shoko faster, get rid of that "thing". Make her into the embodiment for what they fight for yada yada har har har blah blah blah, just get her dead already.

She's half of this how's biiig list of problems.
May 25, 2013 5:27 PM

Feb 2012
That booty shot that was shown when they were tied up (^_^)/

Damn Aina's dead floating body
May 25, 2013 5:48 PM

Dec 2009
This show is so hilariously good. I so hope the second half takes place 200 years later.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 25, 2013 6:10 PM

Jul 2008
Fai said:

Yes. THIS SHOW.
Best comedy 2013.
May 25, 2013 6:15 PM

Jul 2007
Scheherazade1007 said:
Fai said:

Yes. THIS SHOW.
Best comedy 2013.

Watch them put the parts of glasses girl into another valvrave reviving her.

Then the lead will slit his wrists over how monstaaaaaaaar that is needless to say its not very effective, while Saki will have multiple orgasms over how awesome this is.

I thinhk...I think this just topped Guilty Crown
May 25, 2013 6:28 PM

Jul 2008
Fai said:
Scheherazade1007 said:
Fai said:

Yes. THIS SHOW.
Best comedy 2013.

Watch them put the parts of glasses girl into another valvrave reviving her.

Then the lead will slit his wrists over how monstaaaaaaaar that is needless to say its not very effective, while Saki will have multiple orgasms over how awesome this is.

I thinhk...I think this just topped Guilty Crown

This have topped Guilty Crown since the moment they started their own retarded country.

I'd seriously like to see some tsukkomi on this show's storyboard.
May 25, 2013 6:35 PM

Jun 2012
This anime is a parody.
May 25, 2013 10:01 PM

Jan 2008
Honestly, this is just a matter of opinion in the end. Different people can think of the show however they want.

I'll say this: It's not great, but there is a set of pretty self-mocking comedic elements in almost every episode, despite the seriousness of certain topics, which isn't hard to notice at all. In fact, they're even pointed out during specific scenes, so their presence is not accidental.

In other words, the show knows this sort of bizarre stuff is funny. Which is where the comparisons to Guilty Crown fall flat. That show, while it did have a little bit of humor (like, say, with the Dan character), was mostly incredibly dark and serious in terms of atmosphere, tone and subject matter.

Valvrave has individual scenes which might be called dark and serious, but rarely is an entire episode ever like that. The insanity or absurdity of certain situations is played for laughs in a rather twisted way, like having L-Elf show up at the kitchen to conduct his "negotiations" with Shoko and taking control of the school in an exaggerated yet also rather funny manner. Does that make the show good? Not exactly, but also not the worst thing ever either.
GolbeztheGreatMay 25, 2013 11:52 PM
May 26, 2013 5:46 AM
Jan 2010
sakiXshokoshoko confirmed
May 26, 2013 6:47 AM
May 2012
neontaster said:
Image breaks the page.

Yeah, I really didn't see that coming. How am I supposed to know about this anyway? Oh well.
May 26, 2013 8:00 AM
Aug 2012
wailofthebanshee said:
sakiXshokoshoko confirmed

Really? When? Where? Or just two guys/girls being friendly/nice to each other is considered as Yaoi/Yuri couples?

May 26, 2013 10:20 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Fai said:

I don't know what to make of this show tbh. In moments like this episode or the premiere, the show really shines and shows what it can do. And then you have episodes like EP5 christmas caroling and songs and stuff like L-Elf bullshit and you can't help but facepalm.

ITs like this show is written by two writers - one competent and sober, the other drunk and stoned as hell, tripping butterflies and power rangers with ice cream on top.

Or the same writer with a split personality disorder.

This is the most paradoxical series of the season. It's so ridiculous yet it's so entertaining.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 26, 2013 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
Wow... just wow. This L-Elf character is nothing more than a badly written scapegoat for a writer who can't create a cohesive plot.
May 27, 2013 9:07 AM

Oct 2007
I find it funny how many other forums have sort of given up on the whole "hurf durf this is a nonsensical poorly written trainwreck show" narrative recently and decided to have real discussions about the content and roll with the punches (example: people discussing the crest worn by the soldier Saki is fighting in the prologue sequence to this episode and speculating on which country it comes from) while MAL remains pretty much the only one that still clings steadfastly too it. My theory is MAL just has the worst community of anime fans on the internet. I mean christ I even find more interesting posting about this show on 4chan of all places now.

Possibly done taking these threads even remotely seriously as of this week since they're so useless at this point...I mean wow it's like everyone here after the first few days after the episode airs is on a totally different train of thought that forces the show to be held up as a one note flawed piece of crap with nothing to talk about besides how apparently crappy it is. It's like nobody here has ever seen an over the top mecha/action franchise or something. It really must be a vocal minority that speaks up in most of the threads though cause I look at the poll and then look at the thread and the comments don't seem to match up much.

Though my theory remains this, and this is a bit of a complex thought so bear with. MALers seem to me to be the type that react to, criticize and rate series not based on what they actually do or how they do it, but based simply on what they represent to them in their own minds eye and on the absolute surface. For those that are big into saving face by only claiming to appreciate the "right" shows it's kind of no wonder Valvrave suffers from some of the nonsensical criticisms I see in these threads as on the absolute surface and broken down into the absolute most simple and abstract of it's core concepts it is a silly show.

The other funny thing is few people are ever even going to read this post or have anything to think or say about it cause people on MAL are so typically caught up in their own bullshit that they don't even pay attention to any sort of detail or seek out any sort of alternative opinion. The few that do though I am genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say hilariously over the top or well thought out.

TL;DR: I really though the style and leanings of the shows writing and direction style had already been long established like a month ago. If you are one of the people who are still discussing this sub-topic then I'm sorry to say but goddamn are you kind of slow as most forums have LONG since moved on to discussing actual in show content.....
PeacingOutMay 27, 2013 9:22 AM
May 27, 2013 9:25 AM

Sep 2012
@Kaioshin_Sama

> My theory is MAL just has the worst community of anime fans on the internet.

Seriously? Well, I did not check other western anime forum sites so I cannot really tell (though I always have the impression that other sites are no less prickly or frivolous when it comes to discussing anime, and there is always its share of elitist or hipster people around). A very brief scan of this thread seems to me that the real haters are not that many, and quite a few just go for one liners (which at least spare us the torture of superficial and simplistic criticism like you said). There are more who are not too excited or think it is ok, and quite a number posted to talk about details in the anime too.

Yeah, I know, reading that you seem to enjoy 4chan even more is some shock to me ;-)
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 27, 2013 11:00 AM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I find it funny how many other forums have sort of given up on the whole "hurf durf this is a nonsensical poorly written trainwreck show" narrative recently and decided to have real discussions about the content and roll with the punches (example: people discussing the crest worn by the soldier Saki is fighting in the prologue sequence to this episode and speculating on which country it comes from) while MAL remains pretty much the only one that still clings steadfastly too it. My theory is MAL just has the worst community of anime fans on the internet. I mean christ I even find more interesting posting about this show on 4chan of all places now.

Possibly done taking these threads even remotely seriously as of this week since they're so useless at this point...I mean wow it's like everyone here after the first few days after the episode airs is on a totally different train of thought that forces the show to be held up as a one note flawed piece of crap with nothing to talk about besides how apparently crappy it is. It's like nobody here has ever seen an over the top mecha/action franchise or something. It really must be a vocal minority that speaks up in most of the threads though cause I look at the poll and then look at the thread and the comments don't seem to match up much.

Though my theory remains this, and this is a bit of a complex thought so bear with. MALers seem to me to be the type that react to, criticize and rate series not based on what they actually do or how they do it, but based simply on what they represent to them in their own minds eye and on the absolute surface. For those that are big into saving face by only claiming to appreciate the "right" shows it's kind of no wonder Valvrave suffers from some of the nonsensical criticisms I see in these threads as on the absolute surface and broken down into the absolute most simple and abstract of it's core concepts it is a silly show.

The other funny thing is few people are ever even going to read this post or have anything to think or say about it cause people on MAL are so typically caught up in their own bullshit that they don't even pay attention to any sort of detail or seek out any sort of alternative opinion. The few that do though I am genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say hilariously over the top or well thought out.

TL;DR: I really though the style and leanings of the shows writing and direction style had already been long established like a month ago. If you are one of the people who are still discussing this sub-topic then I'm sorry to say but goddamn are you kind of slow as most forums have LONG since moved on to discussing actual in show content.....

I tried to discuss the future mecha symbol (even cleaned it up and screecapped for this thread) but you're right - people would rather discuss why they think a show about immortal vampire idols piloting mecha and space Nazis who can see the future isn't serious enough for their liking.

Is it the "worst" community of anime fans on the internet? Since I don't know any others really I can't say, but there is certainly an obsessive desire by many people on MAL to write 1,500 word posts about every episode of a show they don't even like. Just fucking move on with your life. Nobody in this thread cares that you hate this show. I hate many shows too, but you know what? I don't feel the urge to talk about them.
May 27, 2013 11:07 AM

Sep 2012
neontaster said:
but there is certainly an obsessive desire by many people on MAL to write 1,500 word posts about every episode of a show they don't even like.
This is the MAIN PROBLEM I find in many a western anime forums including MAL (and even more blogs too). It is something I rarely see in Japanese forums or blog sites. Those who don't like the show just drop it and move on. Even if some want to write bad things about it, they don't delve on it writing long polemic trashing it. The problem for those long polemic is that often it only reflects the person's lack of knowledge or understanding about the work while highlights the person's arrogance in assuming his standard is the only viable or desirable way to judge an anime. This is what really irks and jars people, and what makes those comments so unpalatable - yes I treat them as even worse than those one line comments that criticize a show.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 27, 2013 11:59 AM

Feb 2010
Well, regardless of what anyone does say, I really love this show. Didn't know Katsura Hoshino done character designs. Sweet.
May 27, 2013 12:05 PM

Jul 2007
neontaster said:

I tried to discuss the future mecha symbol (even cleaned it up and screecapped for this thread) but you're right - people would rather discuss why they think a show about immortal vampire idols piloting mecha and space Nazis who can see the future isn't serious enough for their liking.

Because that part was obvious.

Its a new superstate who has conquered Dorssia (most likely the result of this new country in the future turning against valvrave pilots)

The problem with MAL in terms of speculation is that if you start, there will ALWAYS be someone who will go "lolstop this fanfic, it did not happen yet" on you(or the odl "loljustwatchtheshow wutudoin" bs), to the point that you find it incredibly bothersome to even try to predict anything or talk about anything.

However that's not the problem with valvrave.

With Valvrave on other hand the problem is in that its completely batshit insane - YOU CAN"T predict it and it will always throw off all predictions to surprise you, for better or for worse. For now there are far too many unknown factors to predict ANYTHING at all.
The whole EP4 is a meta for show viewer speculations and valvrave plot - you can predict every little detail and think you know the outcome, but some random character will come and do something you would never thought would be possible, nor would make sense to sane person.
It might be clearer by the end of first half of the show, but even then I am sure Valvrave will throw something batshit insane and surprising at the viewers that no one could have accounted for.

Now meta is something valvrave excels at and its actually sad 99% of the viewers miss how self-referential this show is, nor explore its self-awareness
May 27, 2013 12:26 PM

Nov 2011
Fai said:

Its a new superstate who has conquered Dorssia (most likely the result of this new country in the future turning against valvrave pilots)

1. It's certainly not obvious - while the mecha certainly has similar features to the older Dorssian mecha from the year 71, the coat of arms has many British elements in it like the Lion and the Unicorn (British Royal Family coat of arms) and the Fleur de lis, which do not appear in any Dorssian symbology. Britain is part of ARUS in 71, so it could be a completely new balance of power in that time period.

2. See? We already discussed it 100% more than when I first brought it up in this thread.

3. In general I think this show has lots of cool symbology like flags and logos. I've been paying close attention to all those and even making versions of my own like the Sakimori Academy symbol:

The problem with MAL in terms of speculation is that if you start, there will ALWAYS be someone who will go "lolstop this fanfic, it did not happen yet" on you(or the odl "loljustwatchtheshow wutudoin" bs), to the point that you find it incredibly bothersome to even try to predict anything or talk about anything.

However that's not the problem with valvrave.

With Valvrave on other hand the problem is in that its completely batshit insane - YOU CAN"T predict it and it will always throw off all predictions to surprise you, for better or for worse. For now there are far too many unknown factors to predict ANYTHING at all.
The whole EP4 is a meta for show viewer speculations and valvrave plot - you can predict every little detail and think you know the outcome, but some random character will come and do something you would never thought would be possible, nor would make sense to sane person.
It might be clearer by the end of first half of the show, but even then I am sure Valvrave will throw something batshit insane and surprising at the viewers that no one could have accounted for.

Now meta is something valvrave excels at and its actually sad 99% of the viewers miss how self-referential this show is, nor explore its self-awareness

I agree that a show this meta that plays into so many tropes is silly to nitpick like you would a show like Monster. If Valvrave bothers you on that level where the internal logic is tenuous and crazy shit happens all the time - this show is probably not for you.

But then again, last season I watched people dissect the logic of fucking Vividred Operation so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.
neontasterMay 27, 2013 12:33 PM
May 27, 2013 12:49 PM

Jul 2010
That's the end for Aina. :(

May 27, 2013 12:59 PM

Jul 2007
neontaster said:
Fai said:

1. It's certainly not obvious - while the mecha certainly has similar features to the older Dorssian mecha from the year 71, the coat of arms has many British elements in it like the Lion and the Unicorn (British Royal Family coat of arms) and the Fleur de lis, which do not appear in any Dorssian symbology. Britain is part of ARUS in 71, so it could be a completely new balance of power in that time period.

2. See? We already discussed it 100% more than when I first brought it up in this thread.

3. In general I think this show has lots of cool symbology like flags and logos. I've been paying close attention to all those and even making versions of my own like the Sakimori Academy symbol:

1. Which is what I said, exactly. Dorssia got absorbed into a new super-power, possibly by this new country they just founded. I fully expect Shouko to die at some point(hence being the person Saki made promise to, with promise being to protect her ideals, I guess?), especially since her VA is only one of the lead VA's to be missing from S2 preview party and her country to turn against Valvrave pilots as Season 1 cliffhanger, leading to 200 year timeskip. I am still wondering on how Valvrave organisation plays into this, considering the ominous contract terms.

3. Yes. Especially the meaning behind the name Valvrave itself and its symbol
May 27, 2013 1:08 PM

Nov 2011
Fai said:
1. Which is what I said, exactly. Dorssia got absorbed into a new super-power, possibly by this new country they just founded. I fully expect Shouko to die at some point(hence being the person Saki made promise to, with promise being to protect her ideals, I guess?), especially since her VA is only one of the lead VA's to be missing from S2 preview party and her country to turn against Valvrave pilots as Season 1 cliffhanger, leading to 200 year timeskip. I am still wondering on how Valvrave organisation plays into this, considering the ominous contract terms.

Yeah I meant that the non-obvious thing is what exactly happened during the timeskip and why. And I am still holding out hope for Shoko. Bestest girl.

And yeah, the mystery surrounding the Valvraves themselves still hasn't been addressed, and also Licht (whom I assume is the older woman we saw during the Dorssian dictator's speech in episode 5 or 6), her connection to L-Elf, can L-Elf actually see the future, etc. I'm definitely way into this. Certainly more than Code Geass after 7 episodes.

Oh cool. Thanks for that.
May 27, 2013 1:17 PM

Sep 2012
In Japan, the bird is widely recognized as the "Yatagarasu" which is a black bird with three feet. In Japanese mythology the bird was sent by the gods in heaven to lead the way for the first Emperor of Japan, Jimmu, to Yamato, the promised land where Jimmu would later establish his empire.

You can see it in the flag outside the Kumano Shrine in the photo below

May 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Jul 2007
symbv said:
In Japan, the bird is widely recognized as the "Yatagarasu" which is a black bird with three feet. In Japanese mythology the bird was sent by the gods in heaven to lead the way for the first Emperor of Japan, Jimmu, to Yamato, the promised land where Jimmu would later establish his empire.

You can see it in the flag outside the Kumano Shrine in the photo below

Interesting. I did know of chinese ten three legged crows who were connected to immortality, sun and their "mother", goddess of the sun, but never knew japan has their own mythos associated with them, just assumed its the same stuff.

I guess valvrave is using all three meanings at once.
May 27, 2013 2:04 PM

Oct 2007
^
I guess they did have something to back up their concept and not just pure nonsense LOL.

May 27, 2013 2:27 PM
Jun 2011
So is gravity selective here, or am I missing something? When Haruto's pinned by the I-beam, there's stuff floating right next to his head, but L-elf can't move the bar.

I'll keep watching though, after that last little scene there.
May 27, 2013 2:29 PM

Nov 2011
ipwnallnubz said:
So is gravity selective here, or am I missing something? When Haruto's pinned by the I-beam, there's stuff floating right next to his head, but L-elf can't move the bar.

The beam could have bent on top of him but is still connected to other girders and is pinning him down. In fact, that's sorta what I thought happened.
May 27, 2013 3:14 PM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
@Kaioshin_Sama

> My theory is MAL just has the worst community of anime fans on the internet.

Seriously? Well, I did not check other western anime forum sites so I cannot really tell (though I always have the impression that other sites are no less prickly or frivolous when it comes to discussing anime, and there is always its share of elitist or hipster people around). A very brief scan of this thread seems to me that the real haters are not that many, and quite a few just go for one liners (which at least spare us the torture of superficial and simplistic criticism like you said). There are more who are not too excited or think it is ok, and quite a number posted to talk about details in the anime too.

Yeah, I know, reading that you seem to enjoy 4chan even more is some shock to me ;-)

Honestly some days I find it less terrible, not always though. Saying I enjoy reading it though is a stretch (I check it out maybe once a week), but I'd be lying if I said I don't feel I learn something or find something new and interesting to check out by reading it more often than I do reading threads here.

symbv said:
neontaster said:
but there is certainly an obsessive desire by many people on MAL to write 1,500 word posts about every episode of a show they don't even like.
This is the MAIN PROBLEM I find in many a western anime forums including MAL (and even more blogs too). It is something I rarely see in Japanese forums or blog sites. Those who don't like the show just drop it and move on. Even if some want to write bad things about it, they don't delve on it writing long polemic trashing it. The problem for those long polemic is that often it only reflects the person's lack of knowledge or understanding about the work while highlights the person's arrogance in assuming his standard is the only viable or desirable way to judge an anime. This is what really irks and jars people, and what makes those comments so unpalatable - yes I treat them as even worse than those one line comments that criticize a show.

I think this is where the whole "trainwreck" thing possibly comes in as a sort of way for them to try to justify what basically amounts to them threadshitting the episode threads, but I also think those people ought to ask the question of "who are you trying to convince you or me?" when it comes to their IMO desperate claims of it being so bad it's good and that they simply cannot look away and HAVE to keep watching and commenting/complaining.
PeacingOutMay 27, 2013 3:18 PM
May 27, 2013 4:17 PM

Feb 2012
neontaster said:

I agree that a show this meta that plays into so many tropes is silly to nitpick like you would a show like Monster. If Valvrave bothers you on that level where the internal logic is tenuous and crazy shit happens all the time - this show is probably not for you.

But then again, last season I watched people dissect the logic of fucking Vividred Operation so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

Personally I think the anime is enjoyable, but it's obvious that it's not very good writing wise. While I watch I just roll with it and enjoy it. It's just when people try to pretend it's actually a solid show in any other respect than just being enjoyable it triggers criticism.
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 27, 2013 4:19 PM
Oct 2010
Onyxthegreat said:
That's the end for Aina. :(

Well that would be a plain end seeing how this show is so much over the top :P Everyone saying she will die and this was obvious from some eps ago with her rising all the dead flags and stuff. Don`t you think the writer setting this up so he can troll us next ep :)

Also this picture of here while is not directly from the episode looks close to what damage she got from the explosion. Looking back at the scene in ep where she is shown floating there is debris in place of here arm which would indicate that it was cut like on the picture. She might be just in shock which would also explain the preview. Her boyfriend is mad at our MC that he let her be injured as he dose not quiet look like shes was dead.

DieBySwordMay 27, 2013 4:24 PM
May 27, 2013 5:51 PM

Feb 2013
ipwnallnubz said:

Haruto's leg was impaled by a smaller beam.

http://s23.postimg.org/4vs8my0l7/Kakumeiki_Valvrave_07_mp4_snapshot_17_55_2013.jpg
FiveOVERMay 27, 2013 6:30 PM
May 27, 2013 10:54 PM

Oct 2007
FiveOVER said:
ipwnallnubz said:

http://s23.postimg.org/4vs8my0l7/Kakumeiki_Valvrave_07_mp4_snapshot_17_55_2013.jpg

That puts that to rest
May 27, 2013 11:28 PM

Feb 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
FiveOVER said:
ipwnallnubz said:

That puts that to rest

I'm curious why you think so :)
May 28, 2013 3:30 AM

Jul 2008
FiveOVER said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
FiveOVER said:
ipwnallnubz said:

That puts that to rest

If there's stuff floating that means that there's no gravity.
Yet he is being impaled by something heavy that gain all it's strength because of gravity.
Basically either stuff should be floating and he'll be able to remove it easily or either he shouldn't be able to remove the beam but nothing should float at all. Not both at the same time.
May 28, 2013 5:41 AM

Nov 2011
Scheherazade1007 said:
FiveOVER said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
FiveOVER said:
ipwnallnubz said:

That puts that to rest

If there's stuff floating that means that there's no gravity.
Yet he is being impaled by something heavy that gain all it's strength because of gravity.
Basically either stuff should be floating and he'll be able to remove it easily or either he shouldn't be able to remove the beam but nothing should float at all. Not both at the same time.

Wrong. If the beam bent but is still connected to the wall then it wouldn't float. If something heavy crashed into the beam and caused it to bend at a 90 degree angle pinning Haruto's leg, but the beam was still connected to the superstructure, it wouldn't float. Jesus Christ. You don't have to bend over backwards to try and find things that are wrong. Give it up. Move on.
neontasterMay 28, 2013 5:50 AM
May 28, 2013 7:35 AM

Jul 2007
XartaX said:
neontaster said:

Personally I think the anime is enjoyable, but it's obvious that it's not very good writing wise. While I watch I just roll with it and enjoy it. It's just when people try to pretend it's actually a solid show in any other respect than just being enjoyable it triggers criticism.

Writing-wise it achieves what it wants to achieve.

There's difference between simply unintentional bad writing and self-aware bad writing.

Do you think writers of Shoot Em Up or The Expendables were not aware WHAT they are writing(Shoot Em Up especially, considering its an action movie adaptation of freaking Bugs Bunny)? No, its intentional.

Valvrave is aware of how it is being written, it relishes in it and I am quite sure that its intentionally written in such a way, as the whole show continues to point out the worst parts of mecha franchises and reference other shows (the OP visuals are 1:1 from Gundam Seed, for gods sake, how is that not intentional), at the same time throwing in some VERY crazy ideas into those tropes it lampshades. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it fails, but simple logic of "bad writing" or "good writing" does not apply to these kinds of things.
May 28, 2013 11:13 AM
Feb 2012
Oh look, there's this show's Suzaku and Euphie scene. First time I was actually pissed to see a character die since that girl was nice and normal compared to the rest of the rather fucked up cast. Rukino once again demonstrated how useless she actually is and would've died if not for Haruto; or rather L-Elf since he's the one pulling the strings. This anime has beautiful music and stunning visuals going for it. Even the plot seems to be solid as a whole. The only thing annoying me is the cast of characters. Majority of them suck and the good ones die.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

473 by Archean-Return »»
Feb 13, 7:02 AM

» is it good?

me_good - Mar 24, 2016

2 by RudeRedis »»
Jan 20, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

432 by neeJay »»
Mar 17, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2013

677 by Catalano »»
Nov 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 16, 2013

270 by Catalano »»
Oct 6, 2021 11:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.