Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2013 1:16 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm a bit surprised that no one has made any episode discussions about this series.

Anyways, I finally decided to see this, mostly for nostalgia sake.

I was a teen when I first saw the Yugioh (duel monsters) anime back in the early 2000s and back then I didn't even know it was anime.

I thought (since I was watching the dub) that it was another American cartoon.

I remember waking up on Saturday mornings just to watch it.

But I never watched "Season 0" before, even though I did read about it in the manga.

I gotta say, Megumi Ogata as "Yami" is perfect.

I love her voice so much, and I think it fits rather nicely in this show.

May 23, 2013 1:21 AM

Mar 2012
Well even thought that I was YGO fan I still haven't watching season 0.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 11, 2013 10:59 AM

Aug 2012
Same here, i never got to see Season 0, just some of the Duel Monsters and the first 55eps of GX.
Dec 4, 2013 5:55 AM

Oct 2013
Wow I've seen a fair number of the Yu-gi-oh episodes from when i was younger, but never did i realize there was a "season 0". Pretty impressed from the first episode, captured my interest.
Dec 25, 2014 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
JustALEX said:
[b]
I'm a bit surprised that no one has made any episode discussions about this series.

Anyways, I finally decided to see this, mostly for nostalgia sake.

I was a teen when I first saw the Yugioh (duel monsters) anime back in the early 2000s and back then I didn't even know it was anime.

I thought (since I was watching the dub) that it was another American cartoon.

I remember waking up on Saturday mornings just to watch it.

But I never watched "Season 0" before, even though I did read about it in the manga.

I gotta say, Megumi Ogata as "Yami" is perfect.

I love her voice so much, and I think it fits rather nicely in this show.

Pretty much the same, except for the manga part.
Ill probably slowly go through Yu-gi-oh, instead of a marathon, but this first episode wasnt even that bad actually.
Sep 13, 2015 7:48 PM

Mar 2011
"Season zero"? Bullshit, this is season one.

As expected of Toei but, aside the animation, the plot is quite interesting.
I'm gonna find out why Miho doesn't show up in Duel Monsters.
____

She was just a minor in the manga, almost a filler in the anime...
FrezlajSep 13, 2015 8:22 PM
Mar 19, 2016 11:26 AM

May 2012
Solid first episode, a bit on the slow side, but in general not too shabby!
May 14, 2017 3:49 PM

Jul 2016
I cannot believe it, I had expected Yugi's voice to sound childish but to this extent? His voice sounds adorable and he's so short! The difference between Anzu and Yugi is almost laughable at this point. When he reached into the Millenium Puzzle box without even giving a glance at the box, it got me to laugh x'D The Toei animation makes him look dumb. I honestly started tearing up when Jonouchi and Honda got beat up, yet again for the second time that day by the same guy. Can I just say that Yami sounds amazing? The Yami I'm used to hearing has a deep and bellowing voice, this version has him sounding playful as he asks him to participate in the Yami Games. Yugi has the shortest legs I have witnessed... That ending song is great!
Dec 22, 2018 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
It is considerably toned down compared to the manga, the game made no sense because of that. Also Miho is 100% filler and should not be in here. She only appeared in one chapter very briefly near the beginning. And sadly because of the changes, they did not do Ushio vs Yuugi justice.

Either way, will be interested to see where they take this show from here.
Sep 3, 2019 11:14 AM

Dec 2011
Yugi was always cute in DM but omg here he is adorable! Everyone is a giant compared to his tiny self, look at those short legs. I'm shocked no one commented or bullied him for his height. The loud voice tho lmao
I like how the hair physics look like hair this season- bangs actually blow and bend in the wind for once. Was not expecting Yami's voice to be Megumi Ogata!! Makes him sound even more mysterious; pleasant and lovely, but dangerous.
Aw, I guess Jonouchi really liked Yugi from the start. So this is how they became friends. Running from embarrassment is cute and leaving his shoe behind just like Cinderella haha

I don't know what I was expecting, but it feels good to get away from the card game focus for a while if it means gaining more character interaction.
Oct 14, 2019 10:47 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This episode was very interesting.
I don't really like the small yugi with his high pitched voice but the yugi from the puzzle was awesome, the game they played was really great, it reminds me so much of Kaiji.
Feb 1, 2020 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
The beginning of YGO season 0. Noticeably toned down compared to its manga source but still was enjoyable. Really like the voice acting and atmosphere of the series! The game itself was kinda lame compared to the manga however. Totally luck based and came off as bullshit.

So long Ushio... seeing him coward in fear at the end was kinda screwed up.
May 27, 2020 10:02 PM

Jan 2011
After hearing about this years ago, I've finally started it. I know it's toned down from the manga, but it's still really interesting to see how different this was before the card game took over.
Apr 20, 2021 10:16 PM

Apr 2020
Stopped on ep 97 of Duel Monsters for now to watch this and I'm amazed with this first ep; much better and enjoyable than Duel Monster's

This was also kinda darker that I had expected.

Yami yugi and Jonouchi are the ones I presume to have major developments in this series.
May 16, 2022 1:59 PM

Dec 2012
This is not "Season 0". It is Season/Series 1. It starts from Chapter 1 of the manga while Duel Monsters starts at Chapter 60. If you know math, then this shouldn't be hard to comprehend. Just because this anime didn't release in your country and a foreign company changed the name of Yugioh! Duel Monsters to just Yugioh!, thus lying to you like majority of dubs did back in the 90's and 2000's, doesn't mean you call this 0. While this anime didn't release in your country, the Yugioh manga titled Yugioh! released shortly after Duel Monsters (changed to Yugioh!).
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 19, 2022 4:30 PM
Aug 2022
melhor anime de todos os tempos
Sep 22, 2022 3:00 PM

Dec 2021
It's been more than a decade and a half since I've seen anything Yu-Gi-Oh, and what little I do know is from the version that got dubbed by 4Kids, most of which I don't remember, so I'm coming into this with effectively no prior knowledge.

First thoughts, I like the OP. The art style if VERY different from what I remember of the Studio Gallop version, though I kinda like it. It's got that indescribably funky look that all of Toei's (and every studio's) early digipaint anime had.

Writing wise, I like it so far. I'm a fan of horror-comedy anime, so this was actually a huge treat for me. Yami-Yugi really reminds me of Kitaro from Toei's Gegege no Kitaro when he's about to remind a villain that evil dudes get the bullet first. This anime is fucking evil, and I love it a ton. This was a fantastic first episode. This is already looking like a 10/10 anime.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Aug 16, 2023 11:20 AM
May 2020
yugi viste boksen sin fylt med puzzle deler fra en ruin i egypt så kom en bully og stjal en del så han ikke kan gjøre den ferdig. Vi lærte ogsåp at bosken kan gi deg en wish når du solver den
bullyen kastet delen i vannnet. Vennen hentet så da siste delen fra vannet og reddet yugi fra bullyen. Yami finishet puzzlen og ble stor og fikk yami powers. Så spurte han om at Yami game og spuilte et game hvor beggehang fra en byggening og gikk opp med verdien av korte. The floor od darkness. Yami shows your true character he got eaten by his own guilt. (rating 7- 7.5)
Nov 7, 2023 9:30 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Amazing the Yuugi transformation!!!!
kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Episode 8 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Apr 30, 2016

6 by astrogonza »»
Mar 17, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 11 Discussion

pokecenter - Oct 12, 2013

7 by Ranxomare »»
Feb 27, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 10 Discussion

9 by Ranxomare »»
Feb 20, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 9 Discussion

8 by Ranxomare »»
Feb 16, 6:02 AM

» Can i still watch this?

_txhsin__ - Jan 23

8 by Early_Morning »»
Jan 26, 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.