Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 28, 2013 9:35 AM

Apr 2012
Eckilsax said:
I recently watched Trainspotting for the first time due to my man-crush on Johnny Lee Miller. It was like Dazed & Confused had a bizzare love-child with Requiem For A Dream. It has the most horrifying, uncomfortable detox scene I've ever seen in a movie. Very funny moments, also some very disturbing ones, it's probably the best PSA against drug-abuse.

I had to watch that movie with subtitles those accents were so thick.
May 28, 2013 9:53 AM

Sep 2012
ForgoneReality said:
I didn't fill out my list with the best movies I know, but rather my own personal favourites. I was pleased to find Requiem for a Dream and 12 Angry Men on a few other people's lists. I don't generally encounter many people who have seen them.

Aside from those, though, I find much of my list is absent from any others here.
Oh yeah, you were the only one who mentioned. Dr. Horrible. That was the first Joss Whedon work I saw. Now I think I prefer Serenity and the related Firefly, but Dr. Horrible is still always a good watch.
May 28, 2013 10:00 AM

Apr 2011
doraemon1992 said:
Maybe i'm a little bit excessive, but i saw a lot of pulp fiction, fight club, space oddysey, godfather and so on..
somehow most of the list looks exactly like something you will find if you type "BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIMES" on google >:) *mocking evil laughter*

And this is different from any other medium, how? I'll bite and just name five anime, and it's bound to be someone's top favorites:

- Gineiden/LoGH
- GitS: SAC 2nd GIG
- Monster
- Cowboy Bebop
- Berserk

As for films, I would personally vouch for Le Samourai and Synecdoche, New York to appear more, but I'm more surprised at the lack of frequency of The Big Lebowski, considering how "accessible" and downright hilarious it is. And The Dude.
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
May 28, 2013 10:03 AM

Apr 2013
i know, i'm just joking around :D

Maybe because I was too young to appreciate those movies. I have watched most of the classic best movies out there and i like them, really.. but i can't bring myself to love them as part of my upbringing is infected by current generation, hence i prefer a younger movie like LOTR trilogy and ocean's trilogy

heck, i even prefer the second trilogy of star wars than the first one. Say the second trilogy is better to star wars hardcore fans, and everyone lose their mind
May 28, 2013 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
opernlied said:
doraemon1992 said:
Maybe i'm a little bit excessive, but i saw a lot of pulp fiction, fight club, space oddysey, godfather and so on..
somehow most of the list looks exactly like something you will find if you type "BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIMES" on google >:) *mocking evil laughter*

And this is different from any other medium, how? I'll bite and just name five anime, and it's bound to be someone's top favorites:

- Gineiden/LoGH
- GitS: SAC 2nd GIG
- Monster
- Cowboy Bebop
- Berserk

As for films, I would personally vouch for Le Samourai and Synecdoche, New York to appear more, but I'm more surprised at the lack of frequency of The Big Lebowski, considering how "accessible" and downright hilarious it is. And The Dude.

ahhh, the Big Lebowski, make a shot game where everyone take a shot everytime the word "fuck" mentioned, should be fun
May 28, 2013 10:36 AM

Oct 2012
ForgoneReality said:
I didn't fill out my list with the best movies I know, but rather my own personal favourites. I was pleased to find Requiem for a Dream and 12 Angry Men on a few other people's lists. I don't generally encounter many people who have seen them.

Aside from those, though, I find much of my list is absent from any others here.

I liked The Prestige and Groundhog Day if that means anything. I also memorized all the songs on Dr. Horrible, but just like Popka said, when it comes to Whedon, Firefly is the best.
May 28, 2013 1:24 PM

Dec 2011
ForgoneReality said:
Oh, I've seen Cube. I was actually just thinking about rewatching it recently. I've heard good things about Trainspotting as well, though I have a hard time seeing how it could beat Requiem for best anti-drug movie.

It actually kind of DOES beat it, because Requiem is dour from the getgo, whereas Trainspotting is all fun and games in the first act. That's more realistic to drug-abuse. Your life doesn't get ruined the first couple times you use. Requiem is more of a beatdown overall, but Trainspotting has a nastier turn to it. And yes, the accents are very thick (but very amusing).
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
May 28, 2013 1:30 PM

Jun 2011
Eckilsax said:
It actually kind of DOES beat it, because Requiem is dour from the getgo, whereas Trainspotting is all fun and games in the first act. That's more realistic to drug-abuse. Your life doesn't get ruined the first couple times you use. Requiem is more of a beatdown overall, but Trainspotting has a nastier turn to it. And yes, the accents are very thick (but very amusing).

But life was good in the first act of Requiem. The Summer period was full of money, parties, and a sense of rising up in the world. Then their addictions crippled them and led to all the downward spiraling.

I mean, I still need to see Trainspotting, so I can't completely engage in this, but still.
May 28, 2013 1:33 PM

Dec 2011
You are right. I guess I had the sense from the getgo that shit was going to hit the fan in Requiem. Maybe it was the directorial style, maybe it was the hype. But in Trainspotting, I didn't realize what I was getting into. I really didn't think it would go as far as it did. Let's just leave it at that. :P
Jun 1, 2013 6:22 PM
Jul 2012
Has anyone saw Forest Gump movie? It is a pretty good movie.
Jun 1, 2013 7:11 PM

Sep 2012
I thought Forrest Gump was good, though I've only seen it once and that was a while ago. I need to rewatch it.

Today I watched The Big Lebowski and There Will Be Blood. The former was extremely entertaining. There Will Be Blood kind of reminded me of Citizen Kane, and while I thought Kane was better, it's still a very good movie.
Jun 1, 2013 9:35 PM

Dec 2011
There Will Be Blood... Greatest final scene ever?

Jun 1, 2013 11:33 PM

Sep 2012
SHHHHHLLLP! I DRINK IT UP!

It's up there in terms of endings. I might place Blade Runner, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, and Se7en above it. Other than those though, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Jun 2, 2013 9:42 AM

Oct 2011
Eckilsax said:

Oh man, I nearly forgot about that scene. What a truly great way to cap off that movie, by giving everyone in the audience what they wanted from the start for that particular character.
Jun 6, 2013 7:36 PM

Apr 2012
lordzeru said:
Eckilsax said:

Oh man, I nearly forgot about that scene. What a truly great way to cap off that movie, by giving everyone in the audience what they wanted from the start for that particular character.

Remind me to watch this movie when I get home. I've knocked out just about ever major movie that's been sitting on my to do list, but There Will Be Blood has been sitting there forever.
Jun 7, 2013 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
How about TV series? any opinions?
Jun 7, 2013 8:59 AM
Jul 2012
doraemon1992 said:

A cartoon tv show I can think of is the old Cartoon Network shows around the 2000's era.
Jun 7, 2013 9:36 AM

Sep 2012
Firefly is good. I also like Breaking Bad. But my favorite show is probably Arrested Development.
Jun 7, 2013 10:02 AM

Apr 2013
I will try firefly later, though i heard the show was canceled long time ago?

personally, my favorite would be big bang theory
Jun 7, 2013 1:33 PM

Apr 2012
doraemon1992 said:

House of Cards, best show I've seen in years.
Jun 8, 2013 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
everyone needs to turn on the HBO channel and watch game of thrones, that or the wire
Jun 8, 2013 7:26 AM

Sep 2012
I've been watching Game of Thrones recently. I still have like two episodes left in the first season, but I like it. I haven't seen The Wire yet, and all my relatives tell me not to watch it because I go to school in Baltimore.

I've been told that driving through certain areas of Baltimore makes you think "Oh cool, this place was on The Wire...Oh no, this place was on The Wire"
Jun 8, 2013 11:28 AM

Jun 2011
As for Television, Breaking Bad is the best thing in many years.
I'm also highly anticipating the new Dexter start up, and look forward to marathoning S3 of GoT. Mad Men was a great show for a long time, but now this most recent season is dropping behind...
Jun 9, 2013 8:10 PM

Dec 2011
Man... I used to think the wait for Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones was tough to deal with. Now that I've finished season 1 of Orphan Black I am in agony. Literally do not know how I'm going to untie myself from this show for a whole year... Waiting for season 4 of Game of Thrones is going to be a cakewalk by comparison.
Jun 10, 2013 12:06 AM

Jun 2011
Eckilsax said:
Orphan Black
Huh, never heard of it. Might check it out sometime.

You know what I just remembered that got me all angry again, though? MISFITS. That show was so much fun, and then they just completely took a faceplant after season 2. That's all I got, 2 seasons and then they biffed it. A real shame...
Jun 10, 2013 4:05 AM

Dec 2011
Haven't watched Misfits but I've heard that exact same thing. Makes me very reticent to watch it since I try to avoid shows that go to shit after a season. You should watch Orphan Black. It's like a 22 episode show condensed into 10 episodes of pure gold. Canadians for the win.
Jun 10, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2012
I forgot that another western show I like is Avatar: The Last Airbender. The movie is...another story, but I think the show is good. Has anyone seen Legend of Korra, because I haven't seen any of that yet?
Jun 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Apr 2013
Many great films were listed, and many were american classics. So I'll try to stick with world cinema.

BUT

For those of you who listed Darren Arronofsky's films, I think is also worth mentioning "The Wrestler" (2008) and "Pi" (1998). The first one is my personal favorite of his films, and the second is his first feature film which, despite the low budget, is quite good.

And I also agree with ZeroRemorse and Matthew-san. Tree of Life is great! If you don't mind a non-linear film, then it's a must see! Btw, if you haven't seen "Days of Heaven" (1978), I urge you to do it!

What I find weird is that nobody mentioned japanese cinema (not considering the animations). I think there's quite a few great films being made or taking place there. Here's a list (the order is based on my taste, obviously):

1. Dare mo shiranai / Nobody Knows (2004)
2. Okuribito / Departures (2008)
3. Tokyo Sonata (2008)
4. Eureka (2000)
5. Audition (1999)
6. Cha no aju / The Taste of Tea (2004)
7. Air Doll (2009)
8. Survive Style +5 (2004)

- (taking place in japan) -

9. Lost in Translation
10. Enter the Void
11. Tokyo!

For some reason I can't recall the rest. But there's a chinese film I always recommend which is Raise the Red Lantern (1991)!

And for the more recent ones, I think Dans la maison (2012) is really good! And there's The Upstream Color (2012), the last film I saw. It's beautiful, but it's too experimental. If you don't mind that, then you should give it a try.

PS: The Will Be Blood is excellent!! And so is PTA's last film, The Master!! I feel bad now.. I knew I was forgetting something. lol
cielo_blueJun 10, 2013 10:03 PM
Jun 10, 2013 10:31 PM

Dec 2011
Speaking of Japanese cinema my 3 favourite films are Love Exposure, Oldboy, and Janghwa Hongryeon. I don't watch many japanese films but these will stay with me forever.
Jun 11, 2013 10:46 AM

Jun 2011
cielo_blue said:
There Will be Blood is excellent!!

I actually just watched that. Last night in fact.
It was quite good, and I enjoyed it for the most part. An unusual movie, that almost felt like a nod to Citizen Kane.
Jun 11, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2012
Has anyone seen Side Effects? Out of the movies I've seen that came out this year, I thought that was one of the better ones. But I haven't met anyone who's seen it. Even when I went to go see it, there was literally no one else in the theater.
Jun 11, 2013 11:14 AM

Apr 2012
I have. I thought it was pretty boring though. I saw it with a chick who is a "fan" of that one dude, whatshisface. I myself am a fan of Rooney Mara, so when

I walked out feeling my character won that day.
Jun 11, 2013 11:24 AM

Sep 2012
I liked it because it defied my expectations. I thought it was going to be a moralistic "drugs are bad" and "doctors who prescribe them are bad" movie, something I'd roll my eyes at. Instead I got a revenge thriller sort of movie, so I walked out more satisfied than I initially thought I would.
Jun 11, 2013 6:32 PM

Apr 2013
Eckilsax said:
Speaking of Japanese cinema my 3 favourite films are Love Exposure, Oldboy, and Janghwa Hongryeon. I don't watch many japanese films but these will stay with me forever.

I haven't seen Love Exposure. I'm gonna check it out later. Oldboy and A Tale of Two Sisters are from South Korea. lol
Jun 11, 2013 7:29 PM

May 2012
I happened to watch A Tale of Two Sisters late one night on SBS. Freaking awesome, I want to watch more Korean and Japanese films, it's actually the only Asian movie I've seen apart from Ring and Battle Royale.
Jun 11, 2013 7:32 PM

Jun 2011
I don't typically watch a lot of foreign films. A couple that I liked were 3-Iron, Celda 211, The Intouchables, and of course I absolutely adore The Illusionist.
Jun 11, 2013 9:15 PM

Dec 2011
cielo_blue said:
Eckilsax said:

I haven't seen Love Exposure. I'm gonna check it out later. Oldboy and A Tale of Two Sisters are from South Korea. lol

Love Exposure is easily as insane as Oldboy. It is 4 hours long though, so you might want to do it in 2 sittings.
Jun 12, 2013 9:48 AM

Apr 2013
ForgoneReality said:
I don't typically watch a lot of foreign films. A couple that I liked were 3-Iron, Celda 211, The Intouchables, and of course I absolutely adore The Illusionist.

3-iron is great. You should try Kim Ki-duk's other films, I think you're gonna like it:

Time
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
The Bow

RarityRoyale said:
I happened to watch A Tale of Two Sisters late one night on SBS. Freaking awesome, I want to watch more Korean and Japanese films, it's actually the only Asian movie I've seen apart from Ring and Battle Royale.

You might wanna try these:

The Chaser
Departures
Nobody knows
Audition
Confessions
Jun 16, 2013 4:09 AM

Jun 2009
Watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. The first film was pretty solid, though I didn't find myself totally engaged in it. But, Sunset....damn. Great stuff. The conversations felt really natural and the topics covered more interesting, with the emotional outbursts in the limo being a very well done scene. Great ending as well. Very good performances by Hawke and Delpy, particularly in Sunset.
Ston3_FreeN7Jun 16, 2013 4:20 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 16, 2013 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
cielo_blue said:
ForgoneReality said:

3-iron is great. You should try Kim Ki-duk's other films, I think you're gonna like it:

Time
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
The Bow

RarityRoyale said:

You might wanna try these:

The Chaser
Departures
Nobody knows
Audition
Confessions
Goddamn, Audition.. I once write a review of it for my final assignment with the theme "monster and its culture" and got straight A for it.. with the price of watched the film for fuckin 5 times.. Still a very good movie though, a subtle symbolism and depiction..

the live action of Beck is actually pretty good, you should try it
Jun 16, 2013 10:31 AM

Jun 2011
Yeah, Audition is a solid movie.
Jun 17, 2013 9:21 PM

Sep 2012
Holy crap...I watched Unforgiven today. I never thought much about the idea of deconstructions much outside of anime for some reason, but I think that qualifies. I haven't seen anything that made me feel so bad in such a good way since Se7en.
Jun 17, 2013 9:31 PM

Jun 2009
Popka said:
Holy crap...I watched Unforgiven today. I never thought much about the idea of deconstructions much outside of anime for some reason, but I think that qualifies. I haven't seen anything that made me feel so bad in such a good way since Se7en.

Probably my favorite Eastwood film. I kind of need to watch it again, as it's been a little while.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 18, 2013 7:57 AM

Dec 2011
Not a huge fan of westerns and I don't have much nostalgic affection for Clint Eastwood. I found that film coma-inducing. It's one of a handful of elite movies that I just can't enjoy or wrap my head around the hype and praise. The one and only emotion it evoked in me was pity for a couple of characters, and that wasn't nearly enough for me to enjoy 2+ hours.
Jun 18, 2013 12:12 PM

Nov 2011
Popka said:
I forgot that another western show I like is Avatar: The Last Airbender. The movie is...another story, but I think the show is good. Has anyone seen Legend of Korra, because I haven't seen any of that yet?

Not sure if this got answered but I've seen Korra.

It's alright but the pacing is awful. What Last Airbender did in 61 episodes Korra tried to do in 13 and it just did not work. Everything was really rushed and often forced and they took shortcuts instead of actually developing characters, which was too bad. I would still recommend it though if you love Avatar. It's still a pretty decent show, but it had some pretty big footsteps to follow in.

As for Western cartoons, I love me some Justice League. Or any DC animation, really- DC absolutely excells at animation, although their live action movies are questionable. Marvel is of course the opposite- Their animated works are sub-par but their movies are great. Although, Earth's Mightiest Heroes was a ton of fun and Wolverine and the X-men was pretty good, but I believe that's all thanks to Disney.
AmberlehJun 18, 2013 12:16 PM
Jun 18, 2013 1:05 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah, the pacing was pretty bad. Hell the whole show in general was a let down.

As for Western cartoons, there really aren't many that have held a spark over the years. I mean I still find things like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, or The Boondocks, but at the end of the day none of them really jump out like anime does.

I'm also surprised at you Amber. Well, half surprised. I kinda figured you'd do comic hero stuff. After all comics and manga go hand in hand a lot, but I'm surprised you'd like something as sexist as Justice League.
Jun 18, 2013 2:37 PM

Nov 2011
DrunkenBlowfish said:
Yeah, the pacing was pretty bad. Hell the whole show in general was a let down.

As for Western cartoons, there really aren't many that have held a spark over the years. I mean I still find things like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, or The Boondocks, but at the end of the day none of them really jump out like anime does.

I'm also surprised at you Amber. Well, half surprised. I kinda figured you'd do comic hero stuff. After all comics and manga go hand in hand a lot, but I'm surprised you'd like something as sexist as Justice League.

Justice League isn't nearly as sexist as anime, and it's sexism is different. In a lot of ways it's trying very very hard NOT to be sexist and for the most part it does a good job. Sometimes it comes off as sexist just because it's trying too hard NOT to be, so I forgive it. Young Justice also did a decent job of trying not to be sexist.

The way American comics are sexist is very different from the way Japanese comics are sexist. Generally, in American comics, the women really are strong emotionally and physically, the only real problem is usually that the women wear very little clothing. HOWEVER, on that note, all the guys wear tight spandex so the sexism can be said to go both ways. All the women are busty and attractive, but all the men are muscular and sexy and perfect as well.
AmberlehJun 18, 2013 2:40 PM
Jun 18, 2013 3:48 PM

Jun 2011
Amberleh said:
all the men are muscular and sexy and perfect as well.
And Punisher knows it.

Jun 18, 2013 9:52 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:

The way American comics are sexist is very different from the way Japanese comics are sexist. Generally, in American comics, the women really are strong emotionally and physically, the only real problem is usually that the women wear very little clothing. HOWEVER, on that note, all the guys wear tight spandex so the sexism can be said to go both ways. All the women are busty and attractive, but all the men are muscular and sexy and perfect as well.

Its not just the skanky shit they wear, but also how they are presented. Someone made a good point on this recently, not sure who or where, hell it might have been you, but their point was that other than Wonder Woman females in comics really are portrayed in a negative light, that most of them are counterparts to a stronger male or team like Batgirl, Supergirl, or Black Widow, and rarely stand alone, and that most of the ones that do are villains like Poison Ivy or Catwoman.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.