Forum Settings
Forums

Kanye West Thread: I just talked to Jesus, he said, "What up, Yeezus?"

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 21, 2013 5:51 PM

Feb 2012
Haven't got around to listening to it when I dl'ed all of Kanye's albums.
Jun 21, 2013 6:41 PM

Mar 2012
Definitely check it out next time you feel like some new Kanye/Jay-Z. It's full of upbeat, car blasting type songs.

And I just noticed the Yeezus sticker in your sig, haha. Nice.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 21, 2013 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
Didn't this guy name his kid "North"? As in North West?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2013 7:01 PM

Oct 2012
SharifEbeefE said:

I'd put good money up that when that kid writes an autobiography someday, they're gonna call it "North by North West."

Does anybody else think that his public persona is some elaborate act? Like something Andy Kaufman would have done?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jun 21, 2013 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
NickyCharisma said:
Does anybody else think that his public persona is some elaborate act? Like something Andy Kaufman would have done?
I agree that his "Yeezus" persona is at least somewhat separate from the "real" Kanye West, but I don't think that he is always "Yeezus" in public. Sometimes he seems really genuine and/or normal. But I'm no Kanye scholar, so google would probably be more helpful than I am. I know he's made lyrical references to this a bunch of times, which is kinda cool.
LoneWolf said:
Jun 21, 2013 7:26 PM

Oct 2012
Araby said:
NickyCharisma said:
I agree that his "Yeezus" persona is at least somewhat separate from the "real" Kanye West, but I don't think that he is always "Yeezus" in public. Sometimes he seems really genuine and/or normal. But I'm no Kanye scholar, so google would probably be more helpful than I am. I know he's made lyrical references to this a bunch of times, which is kinda cool.

Thanks for responding! It's not just his Yeezus personality. There were quotes from an interview where it was clear that he either had Borderline Personality Disorder or this is a carefully crafted character. Did you hear that he's supposedly an anime fan too? I never would have guessed it.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jun 21, 2013 7:47 PM

Mar 2012
He's definitely an interesting case and yeah, haha, I did hear that. I wonder if he just likes a few classics or if he actually watches anime on a semi-regular basis.
LoneWolf said:
Jun 23, 2013 10:43 PM

Apr 2013
SharifEbeefE said:

Blue Ivy got the stripper name and North West got the direction to the strip club.
Jun 26, 2013 2:52 AM
Dec 2012
Araby said:
He's definitely an interesting case and yeah, haha, I did hear that. I wonder if he just likes a few classics or if he actually watches anime on a semi-regular basis.

He likes love hina and golden boy. He's alright with me.
Join the "I like changing names in IRC" club! Especially if you like changing names in IRC! It's really neat!
Dare to be someone different, many, many times! Dare to dream!
Jun 26, 2013 2:22 PM

Jul 2012
Uh, they be balling in the D-League
Uh, I be speaking Swaghili
Jun 30, 2013 4:54 AM

Apr 2013
This album is brilliant.
Jun 30, 2013 5:23 AM

Apr 2013
Jun 30, 2013 2:47 PM

Oct 2009
Yeezus is good. Really good.
I can play it out.

Kanye West himself is a great rapper. One of the best in my opinion.
From The College Dropout to Yeezus.
NO.
Jun 30, 2013 7:53 PM
Jul 2012
Yeezus was trash. He jumped on the "noise-hop" and "industrial" hip-hop bandwagon and tried to copy other groups. You can't tell me he didn't get major influences from Clipping or Death Grips seeing how abrasive most of the music is.

Lots of people say he's pushing the genre's limits when many other overlooked groups have done it before and better than him. It's just because he's Kanye and his first album is considered a classic. Yeezus is by far Kanye's most lyrically-weak album.

He tried something different on 808 and it sounded good and cohesive. This album has a set theme too, but he comes off as trashy and is extremely hypocritical from one song to the next. I just can't get into this album like I could with all his past albums.

That being said, the beat on Blood on the Leaves is awesome. And Hold My Liquor is great.

EDIT: This is just my opinion by the way, most of you guys love this thing.
-GrayZOX
Jul 1, 2013 5:03 AM

Oct 2008
GrayZOX said:
Yeezus was trash. He jumped on the "noise-hop" and "industrial" hip-hop bandwagon and tried to copy other groups. You can't tell me he didn't get major influences from Clipping or Death Grips seeing how abrasive most of the music is.

Lots of people say he's pushing the genre's limits when many other overlooked groups have done it before and better than him. It's just because he's Kanye and his first album is considered a classic. Yeezus is by far Kanye's most lyrically-weak album.

He tried something different on 808 and it sounded good and cohesive. This album has a set theme too, but he comes off as trashy and is extremely hypocritical from one song to the next. I just can't get into this album like I could with all his past albums.

That being said, the beat on Blood on the Leaves is awesome. And Hold My Liquor is great.

i read some interviews and stuff and apparently everyone working on the album had never listened to death grips prior to this. and anyway only a third of the album could be labelled with the 'death grips influence'. what about the rest of it? sounds completely unique and innovative to me.
Jul 1, 2013 9:54 AM

Mar 2012
I've fallen out of love with Yeezus. It's more something that I see myself blasting in my car from time to time, as opposed to something I'm going to sit down and actually listen intently to, if that makes sense. Definitely no MBDTF or LR, for me.
LoneWolf said:
Jul 1, 2013 10:19 AM
Jul 2012
BigSimo said:
GrayZOX said:

i read some interviews and stuff and apparently everyone working on the album had never listened to death grips prior to this. and anyway only a third of the album could be labelled with the 'death grips influence'. what about the rest of it? sounds completely unique and innovative to me.

It's not just Death Grips, there were probably other influences. Most of the songs (mostly On Sight and I'm In It) have a somewhat glitchy feel to them. I have a feeling that Kanye knew what he was trying to do but didn't reach his full potential. The only 'innovative' song on here is probably Bound 2 because that sounds like vintage Kanye (by vintage I'm referring to his early work, mostly due to his use of soul samples and laid-back, less aggressive flow). And I guess you could slightly say Blood On The Leaves only because he used that Strange Fruit sample so damn well.

I just felt Kanye wasn't very creative on this album. He tried to push the boundaries but instead came off as unoriginal and trashy. Being egotistical can have its benefits in music, but Kanye's feeling himself way too much. It sort of suffers the same thing Kid Cudi had on Indicud.

Can I commend Kanye on trying something new with his mainstream persona? Yes I can, I'm all for artists trying something different. Can I say that I really feel that he executed it well? No, I think he's a bit too narcissistic, hypocritical and materialistic.

That's just all my opinion though. The album has already slam-dunked my recycling bin with the exception of Blood On The Leaves and Bound 2.

Now hurry up with my damn croissants.

MoeGalacticHero said:
I don't hear too much Clipping influence. They're a lot more abrasive.

They are too abrasive for the music on Yeezus, I'll agree with you on that. Bad example on my part.
-GrayZOX
Jul 1, 2013 10:37 AM

Oct 2009
Nothing beats his album
Araby said:
What do people think about Watch the Throne? I still think it's pretty dope and that the first three bonus tracks are better than half the album.

Watch The Throne is like............unicorn tears, dragon scales, blood from the virgin Mary..
NO.
Jul 1, 2013 10:44 AM

Apr 2012
Araby said:
I've fallen out of love with Yeezus. It's more something that I see myself blasting in my car from time to time, as opposed to something I'm going to sit down and actually listen intently to, if that makes sense. Definitely no MBDTF or LR, for me.

I was feeling the same way. About a week after listening to the album i just started to lose interest.
Jul 1, 2013 10:46 AM

Jun 2013
Helitenks said:
Araby said:

I was feeling the same way. About a week after listening to the album i just started to lose interest.

I am sad. This happened to me too.

Jul 27, 2022 8:42 AM

Feb 2018
He is a god after all.
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Dec 2, 2022 8:23 AM

Aug 2020
Even twitter and instagram can't stand such greatness.

Dec 5, 2022 4:26 AM

Jul 2014
Waiting on that inevitable Varg collab.
Take care of yourself

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7563 by juanlqr »»
24 minutes ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
3 hours ago

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - Apr 18

2 by batslimeman »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
11 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3381 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 10:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.