Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 80 Discussion


#1
May 18, 2013 7:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1583
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Gon, Killua, and Kite ready for battle


NUUUUU!!!!! HUNTING LIKE THIS IS NOT FUN
How the fuck is this airing at 11 AM on Sunday?

Before we talk about the second half I have to give props for the directing of Gyro's flashback, the atmosphere was spot on and I approve the black and white aesthetic. Can't wait to see more of Yunju, his disdain of Gyro when he was tidying up his new domain was creepy

I knew what was going to happen but god damn I was still depressed and horrified after seeing what happened to Pokkle's group especially Ponzu : (

Colt's character arc is being handled so well by Madhouse... seeing him remember more fragments of his previous life is such a delight

Time to construct a happy playlist in my Itunes to listen to after HxH

[Mod Edit I think was the red text for anime only highlighting? Actual post is intact]
Modified by HybridMBL, May 19, 2013 6:31 PM
 
#2
May 18, 2013 7:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 4810
Gyros flashback being moved sooner caught me by surprise, it was nicely done.
Hunting time!
 
#3
May 18, 2013 8:27 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 182
Well done with the black and white flashbacks.
Are other manga readers bracing themselves?
 
#4
May 18, 2013 9:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 10000
Damn, that flashback was really well done, coupled with an amazing soundtrack also. Though the music was unfitting for one scene where Pike was chomping down the others. Madhouse is messing with the order, hopefully they won't fuck it up in its entirety
Modified by Tachii, Jul 26, 2013 1:46 PM
 
#5
May 18, 2013 9:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 615
Brutal Hunter x Hunter is brutal. Surpassed Yorkshin in brutality by a mile.
 
#6
May 18, 2013 9:31 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 41
Ponzuuu! my favorite female side charcter T_T
I didn't want that to happen but still a great episode.
 
#7
May 18, 2013 9:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2038
Oh no, I was hoping Ponzu wouldn't die. So sad.
 
#8
May 18, 2013 9:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
akihikosama said:
Oh no, I was hoping Ponzu wouldn't die. So sad.

same. I was hoping shed meet with gon and become a protagonist/:
kill all the ants gon! for Ponzo !
 
#9
May 18, 2013 9:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 143
Non-filler episode with well-handled Gyro flashback and Pokkle/Ponzu's death?

YEAH. Great episode.
 
May 18, 2013 10:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 2494
PONZU! wth why so brutal ;_;.Fuck these Chimera Ants.Seriously.
Great episode tho, i can feel the tense atmosphere.Now how will Gon and Killua do...i mean, even the smallest and the less powerful Chimera ants are OP.Damn, can't wait to see whats next, but im really worried about all characters now.
 
May 18, 2013 10:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 263
Brutal episode, I felt so disturbed now, even if I knew what's going to happen. I like Madhouse moving the Gyro episode here.
The flashback of Gyro ties nicely thematically on what is it to be a human. On one spectrum we have someone like Colt, who has a deep need to protect, to reborn as an not-so-bad ant. Now we have someone like Gyro who is a malicious misanthrop being eaten...it's just rounding up the ant species with the dark side of human kind - the kind of evil illustrated in this episode with the ant that hunt Ponzu for fun and ate her for himself. At least the human being eaten by the queen became something for a purpose (nutrients, some get reborn). But poor Ponzu is just bring killed and eaten senselessly for nothing.
 
May 18, 2013 10:23 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 47083
xieghart said:
Non-filler episode with well-handled Gyro flashback and Pokkle/Ponzu's death?

YEAH. Great episode.


nice to know its not a filler episode and i feel bad for Ponzu
 
May 18, 2013 10:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1261
So Ponzu was eaten. I thought she was just shot when I read the manga.
 
May 18, 2013 10:41 PM
Lily Gardener

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2966
Oh shit! Wasn't expecting that. This episode was pretty damn brutal. Chimera Ants...scary.

 
May 18, 2013 10:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 305
Really happy with how the handled Gyro's flashback and fine that they moved it up since the only part missing will most likely be shown when the original Gyro flashback was in the manga time wise.
 
May 18, 2013 11:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 546
Jesus I didn't think it was possible to make Ponzu's death even more disturbing than it was but damn just damn.

Mod Edit: Removed spoilers.
Modified by Luna, May 19, 2013 12:40 PM
 
May 18, 2013 11:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Not my baby ponzu :(((((((((((

Damn, I don't remember her dying so early when I read the manga .

Shit is about to get real . Really real ....




Really really real
 
May 18, 2013 11:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 29
Honestly, I liked and disliked this episode. Been watching Shingeki no Kyojin so I'm kinda used to brutal, gory scenes now, but was soooo no expecting Hunter x Hunter to go in this direction. I was a little disturbed watching this episode because the show's been kinda kiddy (not in a bad way at all) since the beginning. I've been noticing that the show has slowly increased the violence/blood but this was a huge jump in my opinion. Think I would've been alright with it until I saw Ponzo's death. That was alot. She was my favorite female character and I just knew she was getting away :(

The flashback in the beginning was a nice touch, though. I was directed better than most movies. That being said, can't wait for the next episode lol. Just really hope it isn't as dark and depressing as this episode. Wasn't expecting this at all!!!
 
May 18, 2013 11:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1583
@Aakaido

Did you forget Yorknew or Genthru blowing up a bunch of players all at once? HxH always been deceitfully light on the surface but looking at it closer it's a cruel world. Even the Hunter exam had a bunch of people dying in some phases.

However I get what you're saying, this arc is definitely more gruesome/heavier than anything that's come before. I heard these are pretty much the same reactions when the arc was first being serialized in Jump 8 years ago
 
May 18, 2013 11:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 764
GucciBoy347 said:

Damn, I don't remember her dying so early when I read the manga .
l


same with me... i thought she was save



 
May 18, 2013 11:30 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1803
Censorship all over the place, still an excellent episode, I just want to see the fights already. I always found gyro's story meh, it could have been done better
And why does kaito ask them to accompagny him, and so far they are still not very close either
Modified by Shaduge, May 18, 2013 11:37 PM
 
May 18, 2013 11:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 5593
My reaction when I read Hunter Association

Just come already goddamit!

I thought the flashback isn't where it should've been, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Madhouse did a pretty good job on it, and it seems they won't cut out all the narrating in the 2nd half? Dunno how it'd be in anime form, since they're not flashbacks, but guess we'll see.

Still going slow, although this time no fillers. I didn't like this part in the manga much, but it was better and more enjoyable in here.
Modified by Candor, May 18, 2013 11:44 PM
 
May 18, 2013 11:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 214
Ponzu!!! ;_ ;
I knew she is going to died from the manga.
But not this brutally ><
Was so hard to watch that part
 
May 19, 2013 12:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15153
Great episode. The Gyro flashback was magnificent. "The universe doesn't give a damn about me". Powerful stuff, the narration was really well done. I had a feeling Ponzu and the others would be screwed, but damn. The ant shot her over and over. I like that none of this was explicitly shown, but was still very brutal anyway. You can definitely tell Madhouse knows exactly what they are doing.

I'm considering the idea that Gyro will be the basis for the king.

Modified by Ston3_FreeN7, May 19, 2013 12:11 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
May 19, 2013 12:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 263
egnaro315 said:
So Ponzu was eaten. I thought she was just shot when I read the manga.

in the manga its even more obvious, you see her guts and body parts flying when that ant munch on her
 
May 19, 2013 12:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 307
Damn not Ponzu even though she wasnt a big character that one hurt
 
May 19, 2013 1:19 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 111
One of the parts where one can see the other true:
Togashi doesn't give a damn about side-characters
 
May 19, 2013 1:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1904
WTF? They ruined Hunter x Hunter.. Ponzu brutally killed WTF?!!!

 
May 19, 2013 1:32 AM
:D

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1907
Noooooo! Ponzuuu! I thought she was gonna escape, then boom! :(
 
May 19, 2013 1:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 26
And how Toriko which airs 2 hours earlier has to be so child friendly is beyond me. The manga is one of the most violent in jump.
SHONEN ANIME FTW
 
May 19, 2013 1:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 5080
I need an adult ;_; someone take me to the border i want out of here!(no supporting characters are safe )

So how important is this Gyro guy i don't think they setup such a backstory just for him to die soon.
 
May 19, 2013 1:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 263
katsu044 said:
I need an adult ;_; someone take me to the border i want out of here!(no supporting characters are safe )

So how important is this Gyro guy i don't think they setup such a backstory just for him to die soon.


But haven't you notice colt has his former human life's memory? Some deaths might not be final after all...
 
May 19, 2013 1:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 5080
^ what Kite said at the end is starting to make sense now...oh boy.
 
May 19, 2013 1:53 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 318
Damn you Pokkle,. it's your fault that Ponzu died ..

Ponzuuuuuuu :(
 
May 19, 2013 2:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 273
This is probably the most depressing episode so far...
"The universe doesn't give a damn about me"
Then Ponzu is killed...
Shouldn't have watched this right after Attack on Titan :S

5/5 This episode shows once again that despite censorship an episode can be just as impactful. Can't wait for Zazan's mini-arc, if you know what I mean.
 
May 19, 2013 2:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 190
I really hated when Ponzu and the crew were killed in the maga, it was so brutal. This anime is one of the best adaptions out there, the soundtrack is so fitting.
 
May 19, 2013 2:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 17
aakaido said:
Honestly, I liked and disliked this episode. Been watching Shingeki no Kyojin so I'm kinda used to brutal, gory scenes now, but was soooo no expecting Hunter x Hunter to go in this direction. I was a little disturbed watching this episode because the show's been kinda kiddy (not in a bad way at all) since the beginning. I've been noticing that the show has slowly increased the violence/blood but this was a huge jump in my opinion. Think I would've been alright with it until I saw Ponzo's death. That was alot. She was my favorite female character and I just knew she was getting away :(

The flashback in the beginning was a nice touch, though. I was directed better than most movies. That being said, can't wait for the next episode lol. Just really hope it isn't as dark and depressing as this episode. Wasn't expecting this at all!!!


I know what you mean! Just when I was like "man this show is all happy happy, when are Hisoka and the Spiders gonna come back?"... then they pull this ish... I mean not like I liked Ponzu that much but damn... ;__;
Joudan janai wa yo~!
 
May 19, 2013 3:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 231
Yosh! As a fan who did not read the manga, I am checking the parallel chapters after watching, and I can say nice adaptation at Ponzu and Pokkle getting annihilated. Maybe Pokkle might run away? Not so possible I guess O_O
 
May 19, 2013 3:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 444
Wow, fuck that noise. Despite having not read the manga I'd already figured that Pokkle and Ponzu were going to die [and serve to wet the chimera ant's appetite for nen], but not by fucking chumps like those guys. I mean, really? She could've at least been killed by the mafia koala or the lizard-centaur.

Goddammit, I'm definitely going to have to murder a few spiders, salamanders, and whatever the fuck the prostitute looking one is to quell my rage.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
 
May 19, 2013 3:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 53
Ah, just as disturbing as the manga. I really like how HxH starts out as a seemingly innocent shounen adventure, and then it just keeps getting darker and darker.
 
May 19, 2013 4:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1948
This episode. Well done, Madhouse ;-;
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

 
May 19, 2013 4:12 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 53
kchorrex2012 said:
This is probably the most depressing episode so far...
"The universe doesn't give a damn about me"
Then Ponzu is killed...
Shouldn't have watched this right after Attack on Titan :S

5/5 This episode shows once again that despite censorship an episode can be just as impactful. Can't wait for Zazan's mini-arc, if you know what I mean.


I did the exact same thing, watched the most awesome episode of attack on titan i have seen so far and then HxH and was hit with more shocking scenes. How could they do that to Ponzu, After she didn't die during the hunter exam i thought we would be seeing her again, and then when she reappeared in this current arc i was happy, but now i wish she never appeared again. then she wouldn't have had to die like that.
 
May 19, 2013 5:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 7473
Evil x and x Terrible? with a title like that, something horrible HAD to go down, and that really means something for this arc.

but seriously, why did she have to die?

mfw Ponzu is kill:

she doesn't even get to be an ant....
Modified by gedata, Mar 5, 2015 5:35 PM
 
May 19, 2013 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 3697
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PONZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I know this is coming but.. Omg :( ;_;

Man, this is why Chimera Ant arc is amazing.
 
May 19, 2013 6:10 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 329
Ponzu died. Honestly she was kind of useless. Heck I barely remember her or Pokkle since they were both fairly minor in the Hunter Exam. The two are defanitly the weakest Hunters to date though since they both barely had any powers and went down without much of a fight, plus Pokkle was really dumb letting himself get caught off guard like that considering how well aware the other Hunters in the show have been. Plus Ponzu was so weak she got beaten by just a regular average Joe chimera ant, which was really pathetic. I really don't care that much, I'm sorry.
On a side no it is totally Killua's fault that Ponzu died. If he hadn't killed that old dude then Ponzu would have lost the tournament in the Hunter Exam since she has no fighting prowess, and that means she would never would have learned Nen and teamed up with Pokkle to go to NGL.

What I did enjoy thugh was the first half of the episode, Gyro's flashback was incredibly well done, if not incredibly pointless considering that the show implied that he is dead already. But who knows maybe he'll come back as the Chimera ant king or something like that.
Modified by edl01, May 19, 2013 6:13 AM
 
May 19, 2013 6:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 83
Man. . . Ponzu should have at least lived...

*sad face*
 
May 19, 2013 6:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 329
Man I don't believe the couple died first! This is such a massive plot twist!!!!
 
May 19, 2013 9:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 93
so Gyro got eaten by the ants or what ???
 
May 19, 2013 9:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3816
Great episode. I really liked Gyro's flashback and I hope he plays an important role later in the series. Looks like Gon, Killua and Kite have arrived. Looking forward to see how they deal with the chimera ants.

5/5
 
May 19, 2013 9:35 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 29
AdeizaSama said:
aakaido said:
Honestly, I liked and disliked this episode. Been watching Shingeki no Kyojin so I'm kinda used to brutal, gory scenes now, but was soooo no expecting Hunter x Hunter to go in this direction. I was a little disturbed watching this episode because the show's been kinda kiddy (not in a bad way at all) since the beginning. I've been noticing that the show has slowly increased the violence/blood but this was a huge jump in my opinion. Think I would've been alright with it until I saw Ponzo's death. That was alot. She was my favorite female character and I just knew she was getting away :(

The flashback in the beginning was a nice touch, though. I was directed better than most movies. That being said, can't wait for the next episode lol. Just really hope it isn't as dark and depressing as this episode. Wasn't expecting this at all!!!


I know what you mean! Just when I was like "man this show is all happy happy, when are Hisoka and the Spiders gonna come back?"... then they pull this ish... I mean not like I liked Ponzu that much but damn... ;__;


I know right! They did her bad. She didn't even get a chance to fight. I think that's what pissed me off the most. Unsuspecting head shot ended it all...

slasher000 said:
kchorrex2012 said:
This is probably the most depressing episode so far...
"The universe doesn't give a damn about me"
Then Ponzu is killed...
Shouldn't have watched this right after Attack on Titan :S

5/5 This episode shows once again that despite censorship an episode can be just as impactful. Can't wait for Zazan's mini-arc, if you know what I mean.


I did the exact same thing, watched the most awesome episode of attack on titan i have seen so far and then HxH and was hit with more shocking scenes. How could they do that to Ponzu, After she didn't die during the hunter exam i thought we would be seeing her again, and then when she reappeared in this current arc i was happy, but now i wish she never appeared again. then she wouldn't have had to die like that.


I think we all watched Attack on Titan before this episode. Made Hunter's episode much more horrific
 
Top
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store