Forum Settings
Forums

A good way to break the belief that marriage = religion is to stop getting married at churches.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 18, 2013 2:55 PM

Feb 2012
JustALEX said:
I'm not forcing my opinion or belief on anyone.

....for those that reject the bullshit that is religion
Ya, we believe you.
May 18, 2013 3:14 PM

Jan 2009
JustALEX said:
yhunata said:
Battlechili1 said:
What if I want it to be a religious ceremony?
Can't I get married in a church if I want to?

Better yet, can't we all just stop trying to force our opinions and beliefs on each other (in this case, JustALEX's belief that marriage =/= religious)? And this goes to atheists and theists. I mean, seriously, just let the people marry for whatever reason they want.

It's a suggestion....I'm not forcing my opinion or belief on anyone.

BTW, my opinion on marriage is that it's utterly useless and it's more than likely that it will NOT work out.

But I realize most humans are stuck on ancient rituals and thus they feel an overwhelming need to get "married"....for those that reject the bullshit that is religion, here is something you can do to stop the perpetuation that marriage is a religious concept.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate your love with someone else. Most people who who say marriage is utterly useless are too socially awkward to every get into the situation anyways (yeah you can say that you aren't this way, won't change my opinion).

As for the topic, who really cares about what it represents to people? I recently got engaged and I am going to have a grand ceremony with lots of people but my wedding won't be religious at all. However, the real question is does it matter? Who cares what others believe or do. Just do what you want to do and end it there.
May 18, 2013 3:20 PM

Jun 2008
burntlettuce said:
There is nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate your love with someone else.

Never said there was something wrong with it.

burntlettuce said:
Most people who who say marriage is utterly useless are too socially awkward to every get into the situation anyways (yeah you can say that you aren't this way, won't change my opinion).

I couldn't change your opinion if I tried.....but it's rather stupid to analyze an anonymous person online, for all you know I could be lying about everything I've said so far.
--ALEX--May 18, 2013 3:25 PM
May 18, 2013 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
MellowJello said:

Sorry for off-topic but...
that pic is just too good.

you are now my hero mellow
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."
"Anon is legitimately retarded so you shouldn't be too proud of yourself." -Enema
May 18, 2013 4:02 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
apatch3 said:
I mean let's be honest here the term "marriage" has as far as we know always been a straight thing

Because of discrimination. Not something that should perpetuated in the 21st century.

apatch3 said:
I see absolutely no discrimination in mere semantics, especially if one group i.e. the straight group thinks that they're being discriminated against when marriage is redefined for politically correct purposes.

What the "straight group" (maybe you meant to say "religious zealots") doesn't matter. Good thing equality doesn't work that way.
Also, marriage has already been redefined for "politically correct purposes" (e.g interracial marriage. Though the issue is that it needs to be redefined in the first place.
May 18, 2013 4:22 PM

Mar 2013
Yeah I get what you're saying and I could agree but !
My crush told me the other day she would like to get married in a church and in a big ass dress to do it just like in movies and I like this idea.

So nope, church is good.

And by the way :
Xybirk said:
Everyone should just get married at Disney World.

Yes.
May 18, 2013 4:37 PM

Jul 2012
Araby said:
People still get married at churches?

Yes. Had family members get married in a church not too long ago.
Well, at a church. It took place outside a church, and was a sort of religious ceremony.
May 18, 2013 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
yhunata said:
Better yet, can't we all just stop trying to force our opinions and beliefs on each other
No, we can't. I'm past trying to be PC. At the end of the day, some beliefs are worth more than others.

burntlettuce said:
In case you missed the memo, the topic is loosely tied to a legal issue. It is not a personal issue.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 18, 2013 6:54 PM

Dec 2012
What about Christmas and its ties with Christianity?
I'm an Atheist yet I still celebrate it.....
cuz I love surprises
May 18, 2013 6:58 PM

Jun 2008
Cigarette said:
cuz I love surprises

Meh....the christians stole christmas from the pagans.
May 18, 2013 6:59 PM

Dec 2012
JustALEX said:
Cigarette said:
cuz I love surprises

so dat means
im ok rite
May 18, 2013 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
On my wedding day, I want to dress up as a cat.
May 18, 2013 7:35 PM

Aug 2012
MellowJello said:
Neane1993 said:
dankickyou said:
But I like costumes.
May 18, 2013 7:40 PM

Oct 2012
Cigarette said:
JustALEX said:
Cigarette said:
cuz I love surprises

so dat means
im ok rite

you're an atheist, why shouldn't you do what you want (while within the borders of law) you don't believe in anything anyways....
May 18, 2013 7:42 PM

Jun 2008
Maor said:
Cigarette said:
JustALEX said:
Cigarette said:
cuz I love surprises

so dat means
im ok rite

you're an atheist, why shouldn't you do what you want (while within the borders of law) you don't believe in anything anyways....

lol....
May 18, 2013 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
katsucats said:

burntlettuce said:
In case you missed the memo, the topic is loosely tied to a legal issue. It is not a personal issue.

In case you missed what I quoted I was referencing to a comment that Alex made specifically.
May 18, 2013 7:43 PM

Feb 2012
Chakaara said:
My crush told me the other day she would like to get married in a church and in a big ass dress to do it just like in movies and I like this idea.

So nope, church is good.

You know you actually have to start dating her before you can marry her.
May 18, 2013 7:46 PM

Oct 2012
JustALEX said:
lol....

Deserved that but you get the point...
May 18, 2013 7:47 PM

Oct 2012
burntlettuce said:
In case you missed what I quoted I was referencing to a comment that Alex made specifically.

burntlettuce said:
JustALEX said:
But I realize most humans are stuck on ancient rituals and thus they feel an overwhelming need to get "married"....for those that reject the bullshit that is religion, here is something you can do to stop the perpetuation that marriage is a religious concept.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate your love with someone else. Most people who who say marriage is utterly useless are too socially awkward to every get into the situation anyways.

You are...?
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 18, 2013 7:49 PM

Jun 2008
burntlettuce said:
katsucats said:

burntlettuce said:

My comment didn't say it was wrong to want to celebrate anything.

I have my own personal beliefs in marriage which you then incorrectly (no don't worry I'm not trying to change your opinion) analyzed me into something I'm not....but I would never want to deny personal enjoyment from anyone.

My thread is a suggestion towards people who know that marriage is not a religious thing.

And yeah, Katsucats hit the nail....the topic is tied to legal issues, mostly gay marriage.
May 18, 2013 7:52 PM

Sep 2011
JustALEX said:

Thing is, some people feel it does has a religious dimension to it (in their own lives that is).

Also I don't think there's any reason for why we should just abandon these rituals.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 18, 2013 10:50 PM

Dec 2011
Yeah, you tell 'em OP, f*ck culture, and f*ck tradition! :D
May 19, 2013 4:46 AM

Nov 2009

Not sure if ignored my post because you realized "Oh shit! This whole thing was kind of ... already irrelevant" but let me just say this, your "solution" of making it so that marriage isn't so tied down by religion ... is already there, you can get married, nude, in your own home, by literally anyone if you damn well pleased (not sure why you would wanna be nude) ... This whole thread is quite literally a waste of time unless you are slanting it towards breaking away from religion for the sole purpose of allowing gay marriage (since civil union =/= marriage and therefore it is unfair towards homosexuals that a religious right is effecting homosexuals on a legal level) in which case you should have stated so in your OP ... If this isn't the case though, the OP is literally just a statement made off of not even knowing the current state of marriages within America, in which case I advise you do the most basic level of research BEFORE bitching about some kind of dilemma we "supposedly" suffer.

This pretty much sums up why your original complaint is ... well ... complaining about something you actually know very little about

If you are too lazy too read this post too, then know this, your idea that we shouldn't put so much stress on marriage being religious ... In today's modern world that is already the case, your idea is the present, this is literally just a statement of what has already come to pass, no solutions are coming forth within this forum that don't already exist, any sensible solutions states are quite literally already facts and therefore kind of ... worthless statements.
May 19, 2013 4:52 AM

Mar 2013
VictorVonDoom said:
Chakaara said:

So nope, church is good.

You know you actually have to start dating her before you can marry her.

I fucking knew something was wrong...
May 19, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 2011
Cigarette said:
JustALEX said:
Cigarette said:
cuz I love surprises

so dat means
im ok rite

Just call it Yule and you're fine. All of Scandinavia already does.

DarChronicle said:
Yeah, you tell 'em OP, f*ck culture, and f*ck tradition! :D

You mean like the Christians did when they stole the rights to it in the first place? Dirty thieves the lot of them.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
May 19, 2013 11:53 AM

Dec 2012
Vinter said:
Cigarette said:
JustALEX said:
Cigarette said:
cuz I love surprises

so dat means
im ok rite

Just call it Yule and you're fine. All of Scandinavia already does.

now that just makes scandinavia sound kewlios
scandinavia is like, the scandinavian version of the united states
May 19, 2013 12:40 PM

Oct 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
Not sure if ignored my post because you realized "Oh shit! This whole thing was kind of ... already irrelevant" but let me just say this, your "solution" of making it so that marriage isn't so tied down by religion ... is already there
My analogy to this post is like this:

JustALEX - I encourage people not to commit murder.

Pirating_Ninja - The option of not committing murder already exist, so your post is irrelevant.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Nov 2009
katsucats said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Not sure if ignored my post because you realized "Oh shit! This whole thing was kind of ... already irrelevant" but let me just say this, your "solution" of making it so that marriage isn't so tied down by religion ... is already there
My analogy to this post is like this:

JustALEX - I encourage people not to commit murder.

Pirating_Ninja - The option of not committing murder already exist, so your post is irrelevant.

0_0 funny analogy but basically works ... Though could also add that in this analogy JustAlex believes that the vast majority still choose to commit murder (not sure if he believes their is an option not to), where as I am also saying that The option does exist and that actually an increasing number of people are choosing not to commit murder each year, in fact it is pretty much the norm except the news only reports those who still do. (where the news = Sitcoms, since honestly the only place I consistently see this "tradition wedding" w/ religion that we must break away from is in movies and sitcoms, not real life =/)

The conclusion is still the same though, this thread is by definition as pointless as if someone said "Many people believe the Earth is flat, but we should break away from them and believe in logic, that the Earth is round" - No @#$%, this has already been established, just because you don't know it is already a fact doesn't mean it isn't a fact.
May 19, 2013 3:02 PM

Feb 2012
JustALEX said:
dankickyou said:
But I like costumes.

Fuck the costumes...hell, why can't we get married in shirts and Jeans?

I wan't to get married in torn jeans and a short sleeved metal band t-shirt!
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

May 19, 2013 3:05 PM

Nov 2009
bluedragon777 said:
JustALEX said:
dankickyou said:
But I like costumes.

Fuck the costumes...hell, why can't we get married in shirts and Jeans?

I wan't to get married in torn jeans and a short sleeved metal band t-shirt!
It's a good thing that in a free country, where there is absolutely no dress code no mandatory procedure as to how a marriage ceremony works, you can do this ...

Also forgot to bring this up in previous posts but the original idea to "break away from weddings in church"

Jews don't count? Christians are the only religion allowed to have a marriage that has religious ties?
May 19, 2013 3:13 PM

Apr 2013
Why do are you so upset about getting married at a church? I don't see a problem with it. Also i disagree about your definition of marriage, cause I don't think it should change.
-I've always wanted to go to japan one day... :/
(Help on how to get an animated gif on signature here would be nice. :)
May 19, 2013 7:26 PM

Feb 2010

I think this topic is on to something.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
16 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
18 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

20 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Today

26 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.