Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 20, 2013 10:36 AM

Apr 2013
Something like if the whole world was one big Hunger Game, nothing is more just than natural selection.
May 20, 2013 2:40 PM

Jan 2009
SlothNamakemono said:
Something like if the whole world was one big Hunger Game, nothing is more just than natural selection.

is Capitalism (winners takes all and losers takes nothing) not enough natural selection (or suvival of the fittest) for you? Capitalism economy is a prime example of Social Darwinism
May 20, 2013 3:43 PM

Nov 2011
Chusaki said:
A just society is a society where no people reside in. ♥

HAHA therefore there exists no just society.
To bicycle, or not to bicycle: that is not a question
May 20, 2013 4:28 PM

Jun 2012
j0x said:
SlothNamakemono said:

is Capitalism (winners takes all and losers takes nothing) not enough natural selection (or suvival of the fittest) for you? Capitalism economy is a prime example of Social Darwinism

I agree. There is nothing more just than a capitalistic society where those with the capabilities to survive will survive. A society which must give handicaps to weaker members of society (Government subsidies for example) is no longer just; after all, it's not "just" to give certain people handicaps is it?

This society, however, cannot exist. It is theoretically impossible to isolate the entire population and have them work together at the same time or even stagnate human development. In other words, you can't have a society which does not interact with its fellow members; this is a key measure which ensures an entirely just, no handicap, society.
May 20, 2013 5:37 PM

Mar 2013
My idea of justice? Why, a society where I can exact judgement upon the sinful by writing their names down in my magical notebook of death, of course!

Ahem. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I find it very interesting that a lot of people are of the opinion that a just society = an equal society where everybody starts off on the same footing. The thing with that is that some people do deserve to get more than others because they've worked harder, so a simple redistribution of resources wouldn't be very just in that sense.

As for capitalism being just, I'm no economics student but the way I see it, how can that system be just when power and resources are, for the most part, being redistributed to a small elite of people based mostly on which family they were lucky enough to be born from? A child from a poor village in Africa can work twice as much as the eldest son of an oil mogul, but he will always get less for his work. His resources just aren't up to par. I have tried to twist that so many ways in my head, but no matter how hard I try I just can't see it to be just. So I guess to start with, my idea of a just society would be one where similar types of labour are worth the same amount regardless of where a person is from. Of course there will be problems in determining what type of labour to group with what, and what forms of labour are worth more than others, and they would have to be worked out, but if all complexities were magically resolved then that would be a good start, in my opinion.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

May 20, 2013 8:18 PM
Oct 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
Anyways, I'd obviously say equality for all, but I would also want a justice system that is not based on punishment. I don't know how you would impliment this but this is all hypothetical anyway.

Probably, the problem is how human beings assimilate what is wrong. Some have an hard time to understand it; others, intentionally adopt a trespasser behavior; and others, accidentally break the law.Punishment was made to educate the second group. Justice is far from perfect right now, but the next step would be the end of the penalty of death, because it's irracional to commit a crime to punish another crime.

Godplayer said:
Society without religion.

According to a sociologist (Émile Durkheim), when society worships a god, it isn’t doing more than worshipping itself. So, probably the solution would be a single religion, in which Humankind would condensate everything good already existing in other religions plus every moral lessons that should be past through generations.

Confucius said:
People may need societies, but they don’t necessarily need nations.

It can be seen in the globalization. But there will always be those who try to “swim against the wave” (this expression sounds weird in English, but anyway…), trying to maintain certain aspects they consider essential for their identity. Some can adjust faster than others and that will keep happening. The solution is patience.

bluedragon777 said:
A world with equal opportunities,a world where the good outweighs the evil by a big margin and where there is no class war.
A world where everything is available to everyone.A world without hate.

My History teacher once said something similar to your first sentence ~ everyone should have equal opportunities. It's up to each one to make good use of it.
Free access to health care, education and the end of some restrain measures that keep people from producing food (like the set-aside existing in EU) could be some of the answers, just like the supply of agriculture materials to people who have the soil, but don't have the means to explore it.

One of the greatest problems of Humanity: “someone will do it for me”. I’m just like that. I might want things to change, but little I do turn that will into reality. =/
Anyway, a change of mentality is always a good start.

Tachii said:
I'm rather surprised someone wasn't baited into some wall of texts nobody cares about yet.

I shortened my text after seeing that comment. =S
zjxcvbnmMay 20, 2013 8:22 PM
May 20, 2013 8:54 PM

May 2012
JustALEX said:
dankickyou said:
Godplayer said:
Society without religion.

Communists?

Isn't Russia and Cuba very catholic?

There's so much wrong with your question.
May 20, 2013 9:10 PM

Dec 2012
MellowJello said:
TonyTin said:
There's no such thing as a just society.
Then make one.

My idea of a "just" society? Free food, free water, free housing, free higher education, and free public transportation for all. If the society can manage to make those (and probably a few others) free, then everything else should work itself out.

Who builds the houses? Who grows the food? Who provides the transportation? Sounds a little idealistic to me. You know "utopia" comes from a word that means "no place" in greek. The book "Utopia" is probably the best thing I've read on the topic. The narrarator's name means "dispenser of nonsense" and it's a satirical advocation of an idealistic society. It's just against human nature and a society like that could never exist.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 21, 2013 1:54 AM

Aug 2012
3nvy said:
MellowJello said:
TonyTin said:
Then make one.

My idea of a "just" society? Free food, free water, free housing, free higher education, and free public transportation for all. If the society can manage to make those (and probably a few others) free, then everything else should work itself out.

Who builds the houses? Who grows the food? Who provides the transportation? Sounds a little idealistic to me. You know "utopia" comes from a word that means "no place" in greek. The book "Utopia" is probably the best thing I've read on the topic. The narrarator's name means "dispenser of nonsense" and it's a satirical advocation of an idealistic society. It's just against human nature and a society like that could never exist.
Robots.
May 21, 2013 1:57 AM

Aug 2011
My idea of a just society is where people are actually equal
May 21, 2013 2:41 AM

Jan 2009
MellowJello said:
3nvy said:
MellowJello said:
TonyTin said:
Then make one.

Robots.

yep automation is the future, 3D printing in the near term and in the far future Replicators can achieve Utopia (but only if we have solve the overpopulation to not worsen scarcity)

May 21, 2013 6:30 AM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
3nvy said:
MellowJello said:
TonyTin said:
Then make one.

Robots.
But some asshole is going to create an organization similar to "PETA". Except it has to deal with robots. An obsessive fetishist will probably add emotion to robots and make it his robot girlfriend. Several members of society will think that adding personality to robots will be for the better, specifically, "RETA" members, robot fetishists, and children who desperately want playmates. Robots will begin to display emotions, scientists will continue to try and create the human emotion in robots because well, they're getting paid by the people who want it. As robots exhibit human emotions, they will also learn about our human history. History such as slavery, the end of slavery, human's will to laziness which creates robots. And well... We get a robot uprising. GG just society. Because it'll be just for the robots instead.

And yes, my name is Frankenstein. HUAWHEFODAWFDSAFWSFALHLHFLAD
May 21, 2013 6:33 AM

Sep 2011
One in which the state does not exist. One where all hierarchies are voluntary.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 21, 2013 6:44 AM

Apr 2011
Peaceful and
May 21, 2013 6:56 AM

May 2012
Naruto's still working on it.
May 21, 2013 7:47 AM

Oct 2012
Where there are tons more policemen and anti-social behaviour should be dealt with using extreme torture
"He's not dead, he's Katsura."
May 21, 2013 7:52 AM

Apr 2008
Do unto others as you would have done to yourself.

A just society would lack a central government or any large concentration of power, instead communities would be organized locally at a grassroots level. Workers would not be separated from the fruits of their labour and children would not grow up to be molded into capitalist robots.

Education would revert to humanization instead of its current role as a system of socialization. There would be a shared recognition that we are all humans and any attempt to dehumanize or vilify a whole group of people would be marred by humanist ideals.

People would be able to live the way they wanted to live, nobody would have to worry about starving, opportunities would exist for people of all walks of life, communities would act as one big family.
May 21, 2013 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Margaret Thatcher.
May 21, 2013 8:30 AM

Mar 2012
Hard to imagine, but I'll go with a society where people respect the earth and other species. /hippy

HiddenVoice said:
Where there are tons more policemen and anti-social behaviour should be dealt with using extreme torture
Oh God.

apatch3 said:
Do unto others as you would have done to yourself.
This, as well. On a superficial level.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 21, 2013 8:38 AM

Sep 2011
apatch3 said:
nobody would have to worry about starving

Some people deserve to starve though, no?
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
May 21, 2013 9:44 AM

Apr 2008
QueenJenny said:
apatch3 said:

Well, if they're able bodied and they refuse to do any sort of work, or contribute to society in any meaningful way, then yes, but they should always have the opportunity to save themselves from starvation and put their faculties to use.
May 21, 2013 10:54 AM

Sep 2011
A world with me as king. Now stfu and feed me grapes.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
May 21, 2013 11:01 AM

Jun 2012
A society where everyone can be Resurrected.
May 21, 2013 11:12 AM

Apr 2013
apatch3 said:
QueenJenny said:
apatch3 said:

Well, if they're able bodied and they refuse to do any sort of work, or contribute to society in any meaningful way, then yes, but they should always have the opportunity to save themselves from starvation and put their faculties to use.

You know, contributing to society really is overrated, besides from paying taxes you shouldn't have to feel like you are obligated to do anymore unless you want to. Society is really a big fishy eat small fishy thingy, that's why rich people avoid (not evade) paying one more cent of taxes than they can get away with. It's all really just a game to see who gets the most monopoly money before it ends, everyone just plays the game whilst breaking and bending the "rules" here and there, hence you have people who lie about disabilities to get their well deserved cheques.

In an ideal world with fairies (not talking about Boku no Pico fans) and rainbows where everyone actually cares or even semi-cares about their neighbour then we should start contributing.

Communism (it's relevant) failed because the baker does not sell bread to feed the hungry but sells it to feed himself.
May 21, 2013 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
SlothNamakemono said:
In an ideal world with fairies (not talking about Boku no Pico fans) and rainbows where everyone actually cares or even semi-cares about their neighbour then we should start contributing.
Contributing to what end? This is all very funny. Assume there is an utopia world where everyone is equal in every way, and everyone has a machine that tells them the exact state where it becomes equal. Does that then mean that everyone stops caring about their neighbors when equality is reached? If not, then it proves that equality cannot be the idealistic end goal.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 21, 2013 1:47 PM

May 2013
Hmm I don't think a truly just society could exist. It's a great idea but there are way too many people with prejudices against others and that's not going anywhere anytime soon.. Sure it's gotten a lot better but we still have a long way to go..

Of course we could have a society like in the movie Equilibrium but that didn't end so well... You'd need to brainwash people to make it happen because there are always going to be people favored over others as unfortunate as that is :/
May 21, 2013 1:58 PM

Mar 2013
Doesn't exist.
We can't make one.
Just open your eyes, if we could make a perfect society, it probably would've been made.
May 21, 2013 2:00 PM

Apr 2011
Chakaara said:
Doesn't exist.
We can't make one.
Just open your eyes, if we could make a perfect society, it probably would've been made.

This.

There will always be assholes, idiots and douches in this world, that's why I think something like that will never happen. Just the simple thing as a different oppinion makes it harder.
May 21, 2013 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
katsucats said:
SlothNamakemono said:
Contributing to what end? This is all very funny. Assume there is an utopia world where everyone is equal in every way, and everyone has a machine that tells them the exact state where it becomes equal. Does that then mean that everyone stops caring about their neighbors when equality is reached? If not, then it proves that equality cannot be the idealistic end goal.

Huh, that kinda reminds me of the human instrumentality project.

Contributing to an end huh.. beats me, I was just saying I would be more likely to contribute to society with some actual endeavour if I knew that the society I was part of would actually look after me in earnest, then I'd consider it.

And that's why I was saying since nobody in society actually gives a fuck neither should/will I.
May 21, 2013 11:44 PM

May 2013
Obviously,where everyone would be free to do what they want,would even have the freedom to get executed when they not like my dictature xD.No but now seriously this might be a very hard question cuz you know every human life is important but on other hand humans tend to be selfish creatures so idk rly the question but IMO all we need is just smart leaders and the will of the people to make everything the best as possible.Maybe we should consider asking Light Yagami and Lelouch :)
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
May 22, 2013 3:57 AM

May 2012
While equality would be good in many ways, I don't think it would be right when it comes to finances. Does that mean people who have worked for what they've earned lose it just because they're wealthier than others? Why should someone who's never worked a day in their life by choice have the same amount of money as someone who's worked for decades?

One thing that really bothers me about our current society is that people can become famous and receive lots of money for doing virtually nothing. Some examples, Kim Kardashian and the cast of Jersey Shore. One became known for a sex tape and the others for partying. Meanwhile, there's soldiers,doctors, lawyers, police and many others who provide a much more important service that get paid less than 5% of what these people get.

I think a society based on actual action would be more just. Those who work for it get rewarded and those who don't are encouraged to work. Those who do better than others move up in the world quicker and not because of their appearances or background.
gettogaaraMay 22, 2013 1:21 PM
May 22, 2013 4:17 AM

Dec 2012
DengekiHime said:

You need to define equality and explain how it would manifest itself.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 22, 2013 12:04 PM

Oct 2012
3nvy said:
DengekiHime said:

I asked this before, but out of curiosity again: If everyone becomes equal, then wouldn't it create unequality when I give someone a birthday present and they don't give one of equal value back?
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Apr 2013
katsucats said:
3nvy said:
DengekiHime said:

I asked this before, but out of curiosity again: If everyone becomes equal, then wouldn't it create unequality when I give someone a birthday present and they don't give one of equal value back?

No since it's the thought that counts.
May 22, 2013 1:00 PM

May 2013
I'm gonna be pessimistic and say that I don't really think it's possible for a just society to exist in reality. The only time there will ever be a just society is in an imaginary "perfect" world. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, I just don't think it exists.

That being said, my image of a perfect world is kind of like this: First thing is that money no longer exists. I think that money is the bane of today's society, so, logically, in my ideal world, I would eliminate it. Instead of money, I imagine that people would work together to meet their needs. Kind of like the barter system, but idealized? Like, you would produce what you can and then trade for what you need. People would take care of each other. Kind of like Communism, I guess, but idealized to the point where it actually works, I guess.

As for education, everyone would be given equal opportunities. Teachers would be held to a higher standard, as would the students, and everyone would have to meet that standard. College would also be an open option for everyone. No more of this BS where you go to college only to end up thousands of dollars in debt.

Also, no more war--obviously...

And as for crime, well, that's hard to say. Honestly, the way I would handle that is probably coming up with a proper amount of time served in prison for your crimes--and prisons wouldn't have the luxuries that modern prisons have. None of that BS like air conditioning, cable television and schooling for criminals. They'd get the bare minimum, and some crimes--like rape or murder--would be punishable by death, with none of the stupidity in today's justice system like appeals boards, etc.
May 22, 2013 1:02 PM

Oct 2012
SlothNamakemono said:
katsucats said:
3nvy said:
DengekiHime said:

But it offsets equality.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 22, 2013 2:01 PM

Apr 2013
katsucats said:
SlothNamakemono said:
katsucats said:
3nvy said:
DengekiHime said:

But it offsets equality.

Ya, I don't believe equality can or ever will exist, I don't even see a point in it besides it would be way boring everything being equal and all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

9 by fae »»
11 minutes ago

» Is it ok if your partner has a best friend (bestie) of the opposite sex?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 20

20 by fae »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

52 by fae »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 27 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.