Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 2013 9:51 PM

Feb 2010

A stealth dig on modern gaming being streamlined and hand-holding, perhaps in response to the push A button to be awesome philosophy in Dragon Age II.
May 17, 2013 5:27 AM

Aug 2012
this is actually interesting if you consider how it might affect kids growing up with these games. I assume the more challenging the games are the more the kid is encouraged to do more. of course that's typically only if they defeat those challenges. when one is constantly awarded for nothing trying becomes meaningless.
May 17, 2013 5:36 AM

Dec 2012
This seems to only be the case in non-competitive single player popular (too scared to say mainstream because that makes me a hipster) games, Assassins creed for example.

A lot of multi-player games are much harder than old schools games, such as: league of legends, EVE online, Tera.

However this rule isn't very strict with the likes of CoD being one of the major exception.

May 17, 2013 5:46 AM
Mar 2011
older RPGs have always been harder than newer ones both for console and Pc Style RPGS
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 17, 2013 6:49 AM
Jun 2012
good old times.
May 17, 2013 7:53 AM

Jan 2013
older games were harder in my opinion.
May 17, 2013 7:57 AM

Jul 2011
Masterkilla235 said:
older games were harder in my opinion.

Exactly, modern games are easy compared with the classics.
May 17, 2013 8:03 AM

Aug 2012
Difficulty hasn't changed much at all. Maybe you just turned into a noob bandwagonning leecher as you got older or something
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
May 17, 2013 8:08 AM
Mar 2011
Ghostony said:
Difficulty hasn't changed much at all. Maybe you just turned into a noob bandwagonning leecher as you got older or something

Fire emblem vs Awakening
for example
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 17, 2013 8:09 AM
May 2013
I'm not sure if old games were hard because I was just young or New games are just really easy because of all of my experienced that I have gain over the past years have made me OP
May 17, 2013 11:11 AM

Sep 2009
Ghostony said:
Nope, difficulty have changed quite significantly - the modern games are infinitely less challenging than the older ones (generally speaking, at least the big, commercial titles). Especially if you compare them with really oldschool stuff - I'm thinking about DOS times here (Commodore/Spectrum/Atari would be probably too ancient). :P

I still play my favorite old games from time to time, and their difficulty is still exactly as I remembered it. Sure, now I can beat some of the titles I couldn't finish when I was a kid, but even though I'm much better, they are still a challenge. In System Shock 2 you still have to treasure every single bullet, in Prince of Persia 1 & 2 the traps and failed jumps still kill you multiple times, in Space Hulk Tyranids still eat your terminators for breakfast and I still have absolutely no idea how to beat Gyron or Gyron Atrium (I wonder how many people will recognize those titles :P). Oh, and I still kinda fail at Touhou (though it's not necessarily old). ^^'
However, I don't remember the last time I actually had any problems while playing normal, non-indie modern games - they are all really trivial. I only play singleplayer games though, multi is obviously a different story - you are playing with other humans, so how hard it is depends mainly on your opponents and teammates, not just on the game itself.

What I said above is only about big, commercial modern games though (and mainly Western ones too). Fortunately there is a growing indie scene - those are the only recent games that I have found enjoyable (Legend of Grimrock, Binding of Isaac, FTL, Cortex Command, AI War - Fleet Command - to name just a few).

But well, ridiculously low difficulty is not the only reason why modern games suck (some indie games aside). Vast majority of them have only fancy graphics and special effects, but they lack everything else. No challenge, no story, no characters, nothing. Of course, there are some exceptions, but generally I prefer playing older stuff, even if it looks and sounds horrible. :P

Good old times. ^^
Mar 7, 2021 3:16 PM
Dec 2017
Xernogears would have been like the ff7 remake.

More topics from this board

» Error 404 on Windows 9!

French-Japanese - 49 minutes ago

0 by French-Japanese »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » if windows 12 become full adware will you switch to linux?

deg - Aug 23, 2023

48 by His0kaDevv »»
1 hour ago

» Your first game in your life ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

list713 - Dec 21, 2008

837 by French-Japanese »»
2 hours ago

» Recommending Buckshot Roulette

tsukareru - 2 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

22 by Luc36 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.