Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rouge Episode 1 Discussion

Nov 7, 2013 7:15 PM

It was a good movie. But I expected it to be better to tell the truth.
Animation great as always.
I don't like the doll/puppet thing in any anime.
Hisoka badass as always.
Illumi's clothes were disgusting.
anyway overall 7/10
Modified by Albi-kun, Nov 7, 2013 7:44 PM

Nov 23, 2013 6:56 PM

Wasn't a that good movie, but it still helped me to understand Killua in Chimera Ant arc somehow.
And what with those "spoilers" at the end? lol
I'm looκing for someone interesting to talk with, are you good enough?

Dec 27, 2013 5:35 PM

Jim_Heart said:
I don't like this movie, I do not want my loving Hunter X Hunter to be a shit shounen animes like Na*uto or One Pi*ce that make out a movie every year..
This story is full of inconsistency, it's not like HXH at all.. Made me don't want to watch the next movie(s) ...

The music of this movie is still good though.. And still there is some scene that could made me smile ...

Same here...

And I just saw the preview of the new movie and it feels like watching a regular nakama-powered shounen.

Dec 30, 2013 11:54 AM

It was great to see everyone together again. It was good to see Hisoka again!! I've been missing him like crazy during this Chimera Ant arc.

Sent with Mal Updater

May 14, 2014 9:52 PM

A mediocre movie from an objective point of view, but as a HxH fan, it was terrible.

Average plot. Fight scenes were sub-standard for HxH, which are more intense and usually involves a technical analysis of a stronger opponent. Main villain (already forgot his name) was mediocre. Hisoka and the Phantom Troupe appear and disappear like a deus ex machina. Half the script was pointless. Over-arching conflict was weak. Conflicts from the series, while interesting and useful to fuel the plot, did not have the same strength they have in the series... felt kinda insincere?

The animation and music was good. I liked seeing Kurapika's past animated, but did not include the entirety of his past. +1 for Pairo asking "was it fun?"

May 26, 2014 4:57 PM

I enjoyed it a lot, the animation wasn't as on point as it could've been, but I really enjoyed it.

May 31, 2014 12:21 AM

I did not like the movie much...

But I DID like that scene with Killua assassinating those guys in the beginning. Now that was Bad-Ass!

Jun 8, 2014 9:05 PM
Most anime movies based on anime series suck. This included. I even felt like the characters weren't their usual selves. Only liked that they brought Kurapika's backstory into it, the old spider member, Killua's fears and the usage of eyes and that's probably just because it makes it seem somewhat more connected to the series. It's harder to take some anime movies seriously since they're just like one big filler often with characters we'll never see in the anime.

Lol, it was cute but a bit weird how Gon was like "I love being with you" to Killua.

Kipcha said:

But I DID like that scene with Killua assassinating those guys in the beginning. Now that was Bad-Ass!

Yeah! I was gonna say that that was the best scene.
Modified by Ollyx2OxenFree, Jun 8, 2014 9:17 PM

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"

Jun 9, 2014 1:59 AM

Ollyx2OxenFree said:

Lol, it was cute but a bit weird how Gon was like "I love being with you" to Killua.

You mean pretty gay

Jun 27, 2014 8:15 AM

Kipcha said:

That scene was the reason why I decided to watch this movie... though it wasn't really worth it ^^" Didn't really like the movie...

And well at the end Killua looked like a maiden in love...

Jul 14, 2014 8:25 AM

I heard some not that good reviews and saw the movie has a kinda low rating here. So I was kinda hesitant to watch this. But to my surprise, it is still a good movie! Although the animation is not that great as the series but this show still is entertaining to watch. I especially like the more Illumi screentime, the Spiders and of course, Hisoka! Hehe.

Aug 19, 2014 11:00 PM

Actually, after having seen both movies (Phantom Rouge and The Last Mission), I really prefer this one a whole lot more. It had a lot more of my favorite characters and unlike Last Mission, most of them weren't boring as bricks. I enjoyed seeing Kurapika's past and what his clan was like. I really enjoyed the angst and turmoil of Killua, who is my favorite character. And I really loved seeing Illumi (both real and puppet) show up. We've actually haven't seen a lot of Illumi's unarmed combat and to get a taste of that here was pretty awesome. Hisoka actually did something in this movie (unlike The Last Mission), and it was cool to see the Phantom Troupe for however short time we get to see them. Even the ending was nice, seeing all the characters they will eventually be meeting along the way, like Biscuit, Kite, and of course that bastard, Ging.

I guess, unlike some others, I came into this with no expectations and came out really liking this movie.

Aug 30, 2014 2:42 PM

Mirorin said:
What the hell was that? What happened to Hunter x Hunter?

This was shit... since when does Hunter x Hunter do crap like frontal attacks...? (No strategies, lack of nen, emotional shounen crap...)

Utterly generic and cliché. I didn't even recognize the characters. Too OOC for me. Plus the spiders were damn weak...They need the whole damn group to defeat this one ex-member? Are you kidding me?

Usually I can still somewhat enjoy filler arcs/movies. But this was brutal. (If it's true this was the original manga plot, I'm SO glad he scrapped it.)

2/10. A waste of time. I really regret watching this. I feel like it's a miracle I didn't drop it. e.o

It took me like 2 hrs to watch this last night lol. I fell asleep a few times, but perhaps i shouldn't of watched it when i was tired. But in any case yeah i think 2/10 is kind of harsh but to each there own. This movie was pretty generic though with a very cliche straight forward story that would not even remotely be in the minds of Togashi. Like you said, even the action and the frontal assaults was very one sided with hardly any clever strategical battles that Hxh is just famous for.

The characters them selfs were like empty shells, i kept thinking to my self, "is this the way gon would react in this situation" clearly the writer didn't do enough studying to find out exactly how these characters should be properly portrayed" This was really a waste of time. I guess the only saving grace for me was that it had to do with family ties to the Kura clan. But all the characters were one dimensional, even hisoka and the pot had really no point to it.

To me this was bout a 5/10. It was less then average.

Modified by link9us, Aug 30, 2014 2:58 PM

Aug 30, 2014 3:03 PM

Ollyx2OxenFree said:
Most anime movies based on anime series suck. This included. I even felt like the characters weren't their usual selves. Only liked that they brought Kurapika's backstory into it, the old spider member, Killua's fears and the usage of eyes and that's probably just because it makes it seem somewhat more connected to the series. It's harder to take some anime movies seriously since they're just like one big filler often with characters we'll never see in the anime.

Kipcha said:

Yeah! I was gonna say that that was the best scene.

Yeah the initial premise is what definitely interested me. To bad it went all down hill after that.

Nov 24, 2014 4:11 AM

Omg, the music killed all the atmosphere! What's with that cheerful song while a girl is burning alive?! What about adventurous music in battle with puppets while it's supposed to be thrilling and intense? Mood killers.

Feelings of characters seemed rushed and shallow. Some scenes were just slide swows, they could do better for a movie. Apart from that, the story wasn't so bad as it covered Kurapika's past. Mixed with Killua's fears. Combined together, they got a story evolving around eyes, that was a little strange.

Still, it was enjoyable.

Dec 21, 2014 9:23 AM

Nope. It was not good at all. All the characters were just shells of their original selves.
The only part I enjoyed was the short flashback showing Kurapika's past and the Kurta clan. Could've been more of that...

Jan 12, 2015 8:44 AM
I'm a HxH fan and watching the characters together after i've finished the anime was really cool.

Feb 11, 2015 2:01 PM

GustavoRamos said:
I'm a HxH fan and watching the characters together after i've finished the anime was really cool.

This :)

More screentime with Hisoka is always good.

Feb 16, 2015 6:16 PM

To me, it was a bit of a letdown. I liked it, but it just lacked the feel that the TV series has.

I have to say though, the highlight of the movie was DEFINITELY this bit:

Feb 17, 2015 6:25 AM

It was horrible. They should stop making non-canon HxH movies.

May 1, 2015 5:04 AM

DalPuri said:
A mediocre movie from an objective point of view, but as a HxH fan, it was terrible.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Just as a shounen, I would have put it around a 6, but as part of the HxH franchise, it was a pretty big let down that I'd put at a 4, so just decided to average the two.

May 28, 2015 6:36 PM

The first half of the movie was so heartwarming.
Nothing as beautiful as the blue light at five in the morning.

Jun 10, 2015 11:17 PM

Thank God Togashi didn't use this in the series. As an hxh fan..it really felt lacking. I mean, it didn't hook me. I even got sleepy.

No strategies and nakama power was being shoved in our face! And Killua leaving Gon in the face of an enemy? Forget the fact that the doll looked like his brother. Killua ain't gonna leave Gon behind like that.

Though the train scene was more believable if he really betrayed Gon.

Ps. The thing that was the most catching was when they were in the balloon-plane and Killua staring. Xd
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 29, 2015 12:50 PM

GustavoRamos said:

YES!
That ending tho... That music... Kaito... So many feels ;-;
Movie was really cool. 8/10

Apr 23, 2016 6:34 PM

What the fuck was that shit!
This doesn't feel like Hunter x Hunter, even the main characters are just fuckin weird with no personalities.
Thank god Hunter x Hunter 2011 didn't have any fillers in it.

I'm the biggest HxH fan and i really wanted to like this, but dammit this was crap.
What a fuckin disgrace.

Jul 2, 2016 6:28 AM

Did I just watched Hunter X Hunter? Or just a 4 average shounen characters with drama like Naruto.

Too disappointed. 6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 13, 2017 2:18 AM

Far too much drama and friendship cringe for a 90 minute runtime, I expected more from a HxH movie. 3/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."

Feb 1, 2018 12:19 AM

The movie was better than I expected! We get a good amount of action, funny moments and the great friendship moments between those four + Retz
But damn this is not really sticking to the usual HxH vibe. I felt really sleepy during the final fight, basically, the whole movie is unusually weird. There're some good moments tho.

Now there is only the other movie left. After I watch that, I have watched every single HxH stuff...
Modified by ShadowkillZ_, Feb 1, 2018 12:23 AM

Apr 9, 2018 5:24 PM

Funny how I'm learning about Shakespeare in class and Omokage says, "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women are merely players."

Aug 25, 2018 10:53 PM

well that was a little fun ride…seeing a little bit of kurapika background… overall good focus and enjoyed it all

Feb 21, 4:33 AM

Solid movie but man does it lack the charm and flow of the show/manga
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy

May 8, 7:09 AM

Good movie. Reminded me of that hxh goodness.

Wish we saw more of phantom troupe though. Specifically Feitan :(.

Don't like how Killua was handled in this movie though. When he ran away during the mansion scene that felt so forced and unoriginal. But Gon didn't take it too badly and didn't have a second thought to forgive Killua.

Omokage's ability was OPed, but as a villain he did not impress much. He didn't even impress much by fighting, it was just standing in one place spamming the Spider's abilities. The best part of the action was Hisoka versus the Spider puppets imo.

7/10

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]