Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
May 12, 2013 9:50 PM

Sep 2011
So after re-watching Brotherhood, I had a new appreciation for the soundtrack. I love the orchestrated soundtracks that play in the background of the episodes, and I especially love the openings and endings chosen for the series. One can tell that a lot of effort was put into the music for the series.
That being said, the 2003 series also had amazing tracks of its own (for example Bratja, which describes the brothers perfectly, and I kind of wish they had put this in the very end of Brotherhood in the scene with the pictures instead of putting the 2nd opening, just as a small homage to the original.
Both series had an amazing soundtrack, but I am going to have to go with Brotherhood having the better music, but only by a small amount.

What are your opinions? Please discuss below
May 12, 2013 10:02 PM

May 2013
I'm seconding fullmetal alchemist brotherhood XDXDXDXDXD
Have nice art and great ost
May 12, 2013 10:22 PM

Oct 2012
The original had more variety and was overall better imo.

Some stand outs for me-

Jul 17, 2013 7:25 PM

Nov 2012
There were quite a few beautiful tracks from the 2003 anime, such as "Dancing" from that one scene with Edward and Rose, but my heart belongs to Brotherhood's music. "Crisis in the North" is one of my top 5 favourite songs of all time, and "March of the Moving Dolls", "Envy Revealed", and of course "Lapis Philosophorum" are all awesome tracks as well.
Jul 22, 2013 5:30 PM
Feb 2013
They both have great soundtracks, but I kinda liked FMA's a bit more than Brotherhood's.
Aug 22, 2013 8:38 AM

Feb 2012
The 2003's anime just seems to have more fitting songs, but that's me.
http://www.empowernetwork.com/siojin/blog/fullmetal-alchemist-vs-brotherhood/
Sep 6, 2013 6:19 PM

Sep 2013
The orginal series, no question.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLObod4CZ66yLGYj8bn2Kunngsu5r2Bu9T&feature=mh_lolz
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Sep 14, 2013 8:04 PM

Apr 2011
Sep 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Jun 2008
Definitely FMA 2003. Not that Brotherhood's soundtrack was bad though, but it just can't compete to something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv3aUOH635I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRN17SP37U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMSHcRtv7c

and this one from CoS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbvqFAebBOQ
Oct 12, 2013 11:26 PM

Jan 2013
I have no idea how Brotherhood is winning this poll... FMA's soundtrack is leagues ahead of Brotherhood's.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2013 11:32 PM

Nov 2010
Brotherhood easily, I can't even remember one song from the 2003 version and I watched it more recently.
Dec 10, 2013 11:59 AM

Jun 2013
The original FMA, but Brotherhood is still very good.
This is one of the most beautiful tracks I've heard in anime period, not just FMA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwzAEwzUI8k
But I'm Russian so I may be slightly biased. :P
Jan 23, 2014 10:26 AM

Nov 2012
Original FMA, easily.
Jan 23, 2014 10:28 AM

Sep 2011
they both have really great music, but the first series had more atmosphere to them so i got to give the point to that

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 23, 2014 3:47 PM
Jan 2014
BH had good standalone ost for CERTAIN tracks and the rest is generic battle drums or that fanfare-ish type of symphony, no real atmosphere compared to the original's. Still good and has some amazing tracks.
Feb 25, 2014 11:48 AM

Feb 2013
Valaskjalf said:
Original and here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQLrkW33f0

^
Mar 3, 2014 4:05 PM

Apr 2013
Valaskjalf said:
Original and here's why:

Can't really argue with this.
Mar 3, 2014 4:52 PM

Dec 2012
Valaskjalf said:
Original and here's why:

First of all, yes. This song, and it's English counterpart by Vic Mignogna, remains my favourite anime music of all time. It's still just as powerful and beautiful a song when I heard it in my first ever anime, as it is now, couple hundred anime later.

Brotherhood had a great OST, but better OP/EDs. Its tracks were more suited, as the story was, to the shounen-ish tone so they definitely weren't bad. In fact, I think some of the orchestra pieces (such as the main track 'The Alchemist' if I remember correctly) are glorious! However, it can't contend with the more impactful and poignant tracks of FMA2003, at least for me personally. As people already mentioned, it set an atmosphere almost unparalleled to any other anime (ah but that might be my bias).

EDIT:
Alfonse said:
That being said, the 2003 series also had amazing tracks of its own (for example Bratja, which describes the brothers perfectly, and I kind of wish they had put this in the very end of Brotherhood in the scene with the pictures instead of putting the 2nd opening, just as a small homage to the original.
When I was watching Brotherhood for the first time, I pretty much waited all the way until the end before realising they won't be using that track and being disappointed. However, in retrospect, it was the right decision because the feel of 'Bratja' was a tragic one, albeit hopeful, whereas Brotherhood needed an also hopeful but upbeat and happy tone, which 'Hologram' was perfect for. So I think 'Bratja' describes Ed and Al perfectly (heartbreakingly so) in FMA, yes, but in FMA:B it only describes them up to a certain point, not all the way until the end.
fullmetalbenderMar 3, 2014 5:00 PM
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Mar 3, 2014 4:57 PM

Nov 2013
original

this ost as an example because im sure everyone knows brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fimWQ5HRzyo
Mar 3, 2014 10:32 PM

Sep 2013
Brotherhood! some of the songs gave me goosebumps.

May 5, 2014 4:44 PM
Apr 2014
I'm calling BULLSHIT on this. Brotherhood fans will say just about everything is better in that version even when it's not. There isn't a single piece of music in Brotherhood that's worth downloading and listening to on your smartphone, iphone, MP3 player, or whatever you use.
May 5, 2014 4:47 PM

Nov 2010
Sendo-san said:
I'm calling BULLSHIT on this. Brotherhood fans will say just about everything is better in that version even when it's not. There isn't a single piece of music in Brotherhood that's worth downloading and listening to on your smartphone, iphone, MP3 player, or whatever you use.
According to you.
May 5, 2014 5:35 PM
Apr 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Sendo-san said:
According to you.

Yes, what I said was only a fact.

Don't tell me Brotherhood handled Hughes's funeral scene better. Because original was a more powerful scene and the music there, which was used again during Lust's death, upped the mood more than any of Brotherhood's death scenes.

Don't tell me FMA's more militaristic themes like Patriot were weaker than Brotherhood's music.
May 5, 2014 5:40 PM

Nov 2010
Sendo-san said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Sendo-san said:
According to you.

Yes, what I said was only a fact.

Don't tell me Brotherhood handled Hughes's funeral scene better. Because original was a more powerful scene and the music there, which was used again during Lust's death, upped the mood more than any of Brotherhood's death scenes.

Don't tell me FMA's more militaristic themes like Patriot were weaker than Brotherhood's music.
Well I just did
May 8, 2014 7:10 AM

Nov 2012
Sendo-san said:
There isn't a single piece of music in Brotherhood that's worth downloading and listening to on your smartphone, iphone, MP3 player, or whatever you use.

Trisha's Lullaby.
May 18, 2014 12:27 AM

Oct 2012
Well, the OP and ED of Brotherhood were better I guess (except maybe Rewrite), and many of the soundtrack pieces were excellent.
However, FMA (2003) used it's musical prowess SO well, it really touched. Especially Brothers is a masterpiece. So I'd say the 2003 version edges out on this front.
Sep 22, 2014 9:28 PM

Jan 2014
The original naturally. Nothing in Brotherhood compares to Brothers.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 23, 2014 1:05 PM

Feb 2013
Original. haven't heard Brohood's in a while but I wasn't that big into it's operatic score.
Sep 26, 2014 6:08 AM

Dec 2012
They both have great OST. But, I think FMA bit better than Brotherhood. I am enjoying listen to FMA OST even though I haven't watched the FMA series.

Sep 28, 2014 3:31 AM

Oct 2010
TOTALLY, very easily the original one.

Wouldn't say Brotherhood don't have their masterpieces as well, but it just... can't be compared to FMA.

OPs and EDs are another story though.
Dec 12, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2014
FMA 2003, absolutely no question about it. Very atmospheric and emotional, whereas Brotherhood's is just stock epic/sad music most of the time.
Mar 7, 2015 7:28 PM

Oct 2010
2003 series easily wins. Comparing scenes like Hughes's funeral scene, there's no context. The original was more emotional, more powerful, and more atmospheric and that's just one example. Brotherhood's take was simply saying 'he died', its tracks feel not much more than a series of musical cues when it should have been a grand attempt at storytelling just like the original series.

I find a great soundtrack adds a great deal amount of rewatchability to any show/movie, shows like Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED are great examples, something like Treize's resignation speech is worth playing over and over again before you can take it all in, there's bloody sites and rants dedicated to that speech alone. It was well-acted, the animation montage was well-edited, the context made it interesting, but had the music in that scene been just about anything else from Gundam Wing's library, there's no way it would have been as dramatic.

Death Note definitely has its epic scenes and the choice of music was definitely a huge factor in making them as epic as they were. L and Light's proclamations they gave in unison at the end of the 2nd episode would not nearly have been as grand had they opted to use a different track.

How about Dragon Ball Z? Bruce Faulconer's tracks turned one of the most boring anime by spicing up the music, or rather, lack thereof as far as the Japanese version goes. Goku threatening Supreme Kai was a major snore fest in Japanese, but the English version makes you not care why that scene was long, you just want to enjoy the music.

Honestly, I have a hard time watching Brotherhood a 2nd time. You can say it had a better story, it had better development, whatever. But original series, with all its supposed failings, was better executed. And I don't mean just in the music department.
May 8, 2015 9:24 AM

Feb 2015
MadHi said:
How about Dragon Ball Z? Bruce Faulconer's tracks turned one of the most boring anime by spicing up the music, or rather, lack thereof as far as the Japanese version goes. Goku threatening Supreme Kai was a major snore fest in Japanese, but the English version makes you not care why that scene was long, you just want to enjoy the music.

I disagree.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.