Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2013 9:50 PM

Mar 2009
Not the 3DS, the regular DS.

Anyway, since it's almost the DS's quitting time, and I don't yet have a 3DS because Pokemon isn't out yet, I'm scooping up some hidden gems for DS. Here's what I already have:

I'm pretty well up for anything but terrible mini games. Time vampires (those sorts of "just one more round" type of games) are always welcome. I do plan to get DQ IX and Mario & Luigi 3 at some point for sure. Also, I'd prefer system exclusives, I have Chrono Trigger on another platform after all.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Apr 29, 2013 9:57 PM

Jul 2012
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
http://www.solatorobo.com/
It's an awesome action RPG, from what I've seen. I bought it recently. Haven't played it yet since I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail, but it looks great and has been well received. A sequel to it might be in the works, too.
and
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon.
Which I can't find the official site for. But just know that its awesome. It's like a Harvest Moon game, but with fighting and a storyline added onto the already existing farming and meeting people thing.
Apr 29, 2013 9:59 PM

Feb 2010
Erm ... You have Infinite Space, Ghost Trick, 999 and Advance Wars etc. These are the definition of hidden gems. The 2 I'll recommend has a bigger cult following. Radiant Historia and The World Ends with You. The 3 castlevania games are good too.

TWEWY is incredibly cheesy and somewhat cliche in its story but to actually play a game that utilise what DS has to offer is rare. It also has great production value and well implemented game mechanics using the stylus.
Apr 29, 2013 10:11 PM

Jun 2011
The only things I can think of that haven't been mentioned are Trauma Center and Lost in Blue.

Trauma Center is a visual novel type game with touch screen surgery sections (that eventually get really challenging), and Lost in Blue is a survival/adventure game where you're stranded on a deserted island.
Apr 29, 2013 11:10 PM

Mar 2010
Korg DS 10

It's like a crazy synth emulator with tons of "analog" style customization features.
The quality of music you can get out of it if you know what your doing is pretty astounding, but it isn't really a game more of a tool.
Apr 30, 2013 12:22 AM

Mar 2009
live2win said:
Erm ... You have Infinite Space, Ghost Trick, 999 and Advance Wars etc. These are the definition of hidden gems.

Doesn't mean I have them all :P

As for suggestions so far:
Trauma Center- I had this back when the DS first came out, but didn't like it very much. Probably because the controls were picky as hell and it didn't like it when I tried to zoom in or out. Did future games improve this?

Lost in Blue-looks a bit like Sims, which isn't my thing.

Solatarobo-already on my plan to buy list

Run Factory-I was never a big fan of Harvest Moon, neither liked nor hated it, but an added story and fighting? That might just work. Also, there are multiple ones, do I need to start with 1? If not, which is the best in the series?

Radiant Historia-yeah, probably get this at some point too.

TWEWY- Not a big Tetsuya Nomura fan honestly. I just feel like I would've already gotten this by now if I cared.

Korg 10-interesting, that looks pretty cool, I want to check that out! I like playing with Garage Band on my computer some times. There's also a "plus" version though, which is better?

Oh, and are there any games like roller coaster tycoon on the DS? Not necessarily roller coasters, but in terms of quality of the first two RCT games, which I adore.
Apr 30, 2013 12:29 AM

Mar 2012
Do you like Yu-Gi-Oh!? There is World Championship 2010 and 2011.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 30, 2013 12:37 AM

Nov 2009
Damn need to upgrade bro ... why wait? There is the really cool new game out on it called Zelda: Ocarina of Time ... I feel like that game could have been one of the best games of it's time if it was a console game ... like maybe for the N64 or something ... XD, no but seriously the game is well worth re-playing on the 3DS, got the Ocarina of Time Edition of the 3DS and was AMAZED at how awesome it was (the fairies in the your town actually come at you ... bro XD) ...

As for the DS ... Can't help you too much, have some Advanced games but during the DS generation I kind of just favored the PSP .... Although is Samurai Warriors for the DS? Cause not sure if that was 3DS or DS but that was okay if you like Hack n Slash, not amazing but fun...
Apr 30, 2013 12:51 AM

Apr 2010
Well, since you've played the Ace Attorney series, have you tried Ace Attorney Investigations? Where Miles Edgeworth is the main character?
Apr 30, 2013 12:57 AM
Dec 2012
o.0...ragnarok maybe?
hey you..that middle finger is looking at you
Apr 30, 2013 1:04 AM

Apr 2010
Why don't you also try the Fire Emblem series? Though I've just started playing Shadow Dragons...
Apr 30, 2013 1:04 AM

Feb 2013
Professor Layton series.
In my opinion close to the Ace Attorney series for the best DS games ever!
The story is good, the puzzles are fun, the art is awesome!
I totally recommend that series, also because you liked Ace Attorney. Those games are kinda similar in some ways.

Battlechili1 said:
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

I second this.
It's an awesome RPG with amazing visuals for the DS.
The combat mechanics are pretty much spam ''a'' to pick shit up and then throw it at your enemies (or throw your enemies against your enemies).
You would think that would be annoying, but it's actually a ton of fun.
Also there are flying bits where you even have to dogfight or race in plane form and it works surprisingly well.
Apr 30, 2013 1:32 AM

Mar 2009
Stupidly enough, I do not have Miles Edgeworth's game. I basically only know the gameplay is different, but that's hardly a good reason.

I played the first Professor Layton game, the series never really grabbed me like it did everyone else.

I have Ocarina of Time on the Gamecube, and since it wasn't my first, and automatically favorite, Zelda, it's not high on my 3DS priority list (the 999 spiritual successor on the other hand is). I'll upgrade by the time Pokemon comes out, but I lack the funds to get a 3DS right now. Not to mention how I want a PS3. I kinda fell out of gaming for a good bit this past console gen (mostly went with the DS). I also want to see if a Pokemon 3DS comes out or something (which I'll only get if it's an XL, I must get an XL). I actually still have the old model DS, red one that came with Mario Kart. But it is getting old, every so often it has trouble reading games. If it quits sooner rather than later, that's when I'll update, but until then, I will continue to be a cheapskate. I want a red one, so it matches my SP, DS, and PSP, I just like the color (probably why I plan to get Pokemon Y)
Apr 30, 2013 1:48 AM

Nov 2012
I've always liked the Trauma Center games, "Under the Knife 2" being my favourite in the series... not many people even know they exist, but that might be because they were never released here.

I'd really recommend them.

Also, Wario Ware is incredible. I gave my copy away to my cousin many years ago and have never found one again. I kick myself all the time because of that...

Apr 30, 2013 1:49 AM

Apr 2013
Final fantasy 3 is a must.
Apr 30, 2013 2:30 AM

Mar 2009
togekissed said:

If I could only remember and list all the games I had owned or played at one point. I'm not a big FF fan and 3 didn't do much for me either (ok, I do like 9 a lot, and enjoyed Dawn of Souls for GBA). I am a DQ fan though (still need to get IX and Joker 2, I know)
Apr 30, 2013 2:36 AM

Sep 2012
Devil Survivor 1 & 2 - Great RPG's, with great gameplay and a catchy OST. Though the first one does have a lot of grinding.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - You should play if you've played the other KH games.
Luminous Arc 2 - Fun game with a good battle system and sexy characters.
Radiant Historia - Great OST, Gameplay and story.
Apr 30, 2013 6:56 AM

Jul 2012
FallnKnightFakir said:

Solatarobo-already on my plan to buy list

Run Factory-I was never a big fan of Harvest Moon, neither liked nor hated it, but an added story and fighting? That might just work. Also, there are multiple ones, do I need to start with 1? If not, which is the best in the series?

Glad to hear you're planning on getting Solatorobo.
As for Rune Factory...
I actually don't know. I've only played the first one, but I've heard that the sequels don't add a whole lot to the games. I'm not sure if they require you to have knowlege of the previous game either, and I suspect that sequels might have slightly more content.
Still, all I can say from game experience is that the original is great.
Apr 30, 2013 7:18 AM

Jun 2011
You should try Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey if you want something philosophical and mature.

There's also Golden Sun:Dark Dawn which is awesome, but I prefer GBA versions.
Apr 30, 2013 8:09 AM

Sep 2012
WHAT? You seriously haven't played The World Ends With You?
Apr 30, 2013 10:39 AM

Feb 2013
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Radiant Historia
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Yoshi's Island DS
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64 DS
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Theresia
Apr 30, 2013 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
This isn't a game but it's definitely a "hidden gem" so to speak

you can make cruddy animations with pictochat.. it's entertaining for a little bit

As for games, super scribblenauts and warioware diy
and bowsers inside story
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 30, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2009
Ghostony said:
This isn't a game but it's definitely a "hidden gem" so to speak

you can make cruddy animations with pictochat.. it's entertaining for a little bit

Oh god, you mean I'm not the only one who spent hours drawing an anime character on Pictochat?! Also, it was the best geeky way to communicate with others at an anime con.

Apr 30, 2013 10:15 PM

Feb 2013
Oh also there's Metroid Prime: Hunters, I didn't like it, but apparently a lot of people did.
Apr 30, 2013 10:27 PM

Mar 2013
I don't remember too many. Drawn To Life was kinda cool.

togekissed said:

Yes.
The DS remake was excellent.
May 1, 2013 7:49 AM

Sep 2012
deadjames said:
Oh also there's Metroid Prime: Hunters, I didn't like it, but apparently a lot of people did.

It's the worst game of the Metroid series. I really can't see why people liked it.
May 1, 2013 9:48 AM

May 2009
Megaman starforce series
Soma Bringer
The 4 heroes of light
Drawn to Life
Lock's quest
Costum Robo arena
Another Code
Wario Land: master of Disguise
Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded
May 1, 2013 12:10 PM

Feb 2012
There are quite a few games I have to recommend, but I'll focus all of the recommendation cache I have into one game.

Radiant Historia
May 1, 2013 12:14 PM
Mar 2011
avoied Tose made remakes

is my advise
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 1, 2013 12:56 PM

Feb 2013
Litrydow said:
deadjames said:

It's the worst game of the Metroid series. I really can't see why people liked it.
Me neither.
May 1, 2013 5:28 PM
Jul 2012
Litrydow said:

This.

And otherwise you have Bowsers Inside Story..., you might like some of the pokemon spinoff games, personally i had a fondness for the Ranger ones.

The Scribblenaut games look pretty charming to me but haven't gotten a chance to one yet.

Some Final Fantasies, albeit most of the spinoffs on there were pretty bad... the chocobo one managed to grab me a little though, it was fun.

The Castlevania games are pretty neat.

Aaaaaand that's about all i can recall. Have fun.
May 1, 2013 7:56 PM

May 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
There are quite a few games I have to recommend, but I'll focus all of the recommendation cache I have into one game.

Radiant Historia

Seriously, it's one of the best DS games.
May 2, 2013 9:48 AM

Jun 2010
deadjames said:
Theresia
Second this - the gameplay may be a little old-fashioned but the story was great.

Other than that? Haven't seen these mentioned:
- Etrian Odyssey Series
- Monster Tale
- Golden Sun 3
- A Witch's Tale
- Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
- the Atelier Series
- Knights in the Nightmare
May 6, 2013 1:19 AM
Mar 2013
There already is a limited edition Pikachu 3DS XL out, by the way

Golden Sun
Fire Emblem
Lunar Knights
Luminous Arc
Final Fantasy Tactics
The World Ends With You
Kingdom Hearts
Knights in the Nightmare
Pokemon spin-offs
Lost Magic
Sonic
May 6, 2013 11:54 AM
May 2013
I don't know if this is a hidden gem but I never hear anyone talk about this game :
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier. The battle system in the game is beast. The sequel never made it outside japan though. Oh well, I still have Project X Zone to look forward to on 3DS.
May 6, 2013 8:40 PM

Jan 2010
Litrydow said:

^ THIS

Also, Animal Crossing was a pretty good game to kill time
May 7, 2013 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
TEWEY is hardly a hidden gem. Its one of the best selling DS games.
May 7, 2013 10:21 PM

Jul 2007
Can't believe no one mentioned DQ IX

May 8, 2013 7:38 AM

Jan 2009
ArtemisX said:
Can't believe no one mentioned DQ IX

The OP mentioned getting DQ IX already so that could be why.
May 9, 2013 7:43 AM

Feb 2012
Chibistic said:
Tales of Innocence (translation patch available)

This is one of the worst games I've ever played. From the soundtrack, to the arrangement of the soundtrack, to the dungeon design (or rather lack thereof), to the enemy encounter system, to the enemy encounter rate, to the story, to the presentation of the story (the backstories of the avatars are woefully underused), to the characters, to the skits (which should add dimension to the characters, not tread over the same shallow aspects of those characters again and again), to the cheap DS-quality 3D graphics, to the lack of balance in boss fights, to the lack of balance in normal fights (evident in the final dungeon)...there's so little to redeem this game. With most well-received games I don't care for, I can at least see what others see in them, but with TOI I'm completely baffled as to how anyone can consider it a good game, or a "hidden gem" in the context of this thread.
May 9, 2013 4:13 PM
Mar 2011
Daisenrykyu DS
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
8 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
9 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
9 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.