Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion on EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Do you like EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime?

Apr 30, 2013 3:25 AM

In this genre, I either love the anime, or end up being a hater.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Apr 30, 2013 3:28 AM

Sometimes I am in the mood for them, usually after finishing some depressing anime, but most of the time they bore me and I find them uninteresting.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.

Apr 30, 2013 5:02 AM

Well, I'm enjoying Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! a lot. That is some Slice Of Life anime.

Apr 30, 2013 5:33 AM

TsukikageRan said:
Well, I'm enjoying Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! a lot. That is some Slice Of Life anime.

I liked it too. Loved it, actually. But then it became a cheesy romance. I knew it was coming (too damn obvious), but I had high hopes of it. Chuu2 didn't meet my high hopes. It's a good SoL, but for me, weak as a romance. I found it more comedic as a romance than their usual antics.

There's been some damn good SoLs over the past few years, OP. It doesn't seem as if you've watched it yet, so try Bakuman. You loved Death Note didn't you (enough to give it a 10, at least)? Bakuman is from the same duo that created Death Note.

As said above, Chuunibyou is a good SoL. Hell, you might even find the romance in it to be nice. Give it a try. There's this movie called Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki. Definitely give it a try as well. Usagi Drop? Another one to give a try if you want a good SoL. So after watching these, then you can decide for yourself whether SoLs are plotless or not.

Apr 30, 2013 5:38 AM

Good. Not everything has to have a plot, the plotless tv shows here in America like Ed Edd n' Eddy and Courage the Cowardly Dog have only episodic plots but are very popular. There's nothing wrong to have anime with episodic plots with no overall plot besides "Living the life"

Apr 30, 2013 5:42 AM
They're awesome, fuck what MAL's general consensus has to say about how "gay" and "stupid" it is.

Moreover, stay away from the church of Not_Biased and get some fucking individuality, filthy ungrateful nostalgia fanboy shounen dickriding bastards.

Apr 30, 2013 5:42 AM

Greatly depends on presentation and characters, so it varies from series to series.

Apr 30, 2013 6:04 AM

dont really care, if I happen to find it enjoyable ill watch it...

Apr 30, 2013 7:34 AM

Its one of my most favorites genres. I usually watch SoL anime to relax or enjoy a set of characters an their interactions. I really like Natsume Yuujinchou because it had a balance of different elements that made it stand out the most to me as a SoL anime.

Apr 30, 2013 7:37 AM

new to the forum...

and it shows -_-

please stop creating these topics RIGHT N... yesterday!
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

Apr 30, 2013 9:06 AM
i hate episodic anime, i rather go watch western cartoon

Apr 30, 2013 9:08 AM

Cowboy Bebop is episodic and it is awesome. Same with Darker than Black S1 (bi-episodic actually)
The Art of Eight

Apr 30, 2013 9:13 AM

dankickyou said:
Cowboy Bebop is episodic and it is awesome. Same with Darker than Black S1 (bi-episodic actually)

It had an overall plot though.

Apr 30, 2013 9:14 AM

Episodic =/= Slice of Life, many slice of life could technically be considered episodic but not all episodic anime are Slice of Life ...

Though when I hear episodic I think of anime like Mushishi, Kino no Tabi and King of Bandit Jing but yeah ... Cowboy Bebop (until the end) is pretty episodic and same with Darker Than Black ...

Apr 30, 2013 9:16 AM

tsudecimo said:
dankickyou said:

It had an overall plot though.

this guy really needs to get his thread titles right. :v
The Art of Eight

Apr 30, 2013 9:20 AM

dendistoleravage said:
it is fun to watch, but in the end you're like "ehh, ok, it's over".

If that's how you feel I think the anime has done it's job. Episodic Animes usually have a simple focus that wouldn't lend itself well to a full season eg. waiting for the phone to ring or buying a new guitar. Lending a full season to such a mundane task would get very boring unless you've got one hell of a writer and fleshing them out in an anime that's following a larger single goal would frustrate the viewers (fillers). One perfect example I can think of that doesn't come from anime is Breaking Bad, where it had one episode dedicated solely to catching a fly.

Apr 30, 2013 9:21 AM

His thread title was right him calling them plot-less was correct. But I guess he got scared by people taking it literally :V

Apr 30, 2013 9:24 AM

Ah, you changed the thread title. Well, my answer to this one would be that I don't really remember a lot of stuff from episodic anime (well, I do have a horrible memory). From what I can remember:

Darker Than Black : Brilliant stuff.
Usagi Drop : An absolute beauty of an anime.
GJ-bu : Very enjoyable.

Aaaaaand I can't remember anymore. Well overall, it's fine. Since I mostly watch non-episodic anime, they stay in my mind longer, but an episodic anime is nice every once-in-a-while.

Apr 30, 2013 10:03 AM
tsudecimo said:
His thread title was right him calling them plot-less was correct. But I guess he got scared by people taking it literally :V

This so much

Apr 30, 2013 10:06 AM

Yes I do like episodic anime, I don't see anything wrong with them. Like every genre or type of anime, there's a time for it. Some of my favorites are mostly episodic. Natsume Yuujinchou, Aria, Lupin III, Shirokuma Cafe, Golgo 13, Mushishi, Gintama, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, Gallery Fake. Most detective anime are, Detective Conan, Tantei Gakuen Q, Ayatsuri Sakon.

BTW You might not want to curse in the title and the plural of anime is still anime.

Apr 30, 2013 10:07 AM

I used to really dislike episodic anime, but after watching a few great ones I have done a full 180. It's all about taste really, there is nothing wrong with disliking episodic anime. However it is a very successful structure for many medium and I don't see why people go into an episodic anime hoping that it will be plot driven with fully conected episodes.

Apr 30, 2013 10:07 AM

I usually watch serialized anime, but an episodic anime doesn't have to be marathoned. In fact, if I put one on hold for a long time, I won't have to worry about re-watching the previous episodes. Cowboy Bebop is regarded as one of the best episodic anime out there.

Apr 30, 2013 10:15 AM

Uhh, I see you've changed the title but don't you think you're taking everybody here a little too seriously.

I don't mind episodic anime as long as it interests me enough to keep watching. Some of my favorites, like I said earlier, include Natsume Yuujinchou and others like Darker Than Black, Aria, Cowboy Bebop and Usagi Drop.

i liked k-on, yuriyuri, daily lives of high school boys and working!! if that helps...
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...

IntroverTurtle said:
Yes I do like episodic anime, I don't see anything wrong with them. Like every genre or type of anime, there's a time for it. Some of my favorites are mostly episodic. Natsume Yuujinchou, Aria, Lupin III, Shirokuma Cafe, Golgo 13, Mushishi, Gintama, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, Gallery Fake. Most detective anime are, Detective Conan, Tantei Gakuen Q, Ayatsuri Sakon.

BTW You might not want to curse in the title and the plural of anime is still anime.

haha, sorry about that, edited it

Apr 30, 2013 10:16 AM

I only like episodic series that are comedies, aren't all episodic either comedy or action anyway?

Apr 30, 2013 10:17 AM
Javera said:
Uhh, I see you've changed the title but don't you think you're taking everybody here a little too seriously.

I don't mind episodic anime as long as it interests me enough to keep watching. Some of my favorites, like I said earlier, include Natsume Yuujinchou and others like Darker Than Black, Aria, Cowboy Bebop and Usagi Drop.

Nah, it's pretty hard for me to take anything seriously on the internet. It's just that i got bashed so hard that i thought it was some kind of important shit..

Apr 30, 2013 10:21 AM

One doesn't need an overarching plot to be engaged or entertained by a show. Well, at least I don't. Two of the best anime I've seen are episodic.

Apr 30, 2013 12:05 PM

i've seen about 40 epidoses of Cheeky Angel and by and large, jack shit has happened. GAH!

added: the reason? in this case the almost the ENTIRE anime thus far is episodic and its fucking annoying. i loved the premise so i picked it up but jesus christ already u know? sadly i feel like i NEED to know what happens so i will finish it, but i was very unhappy with this show. seriously, episodic is ok if its short but this is ridiculous
Modified by Kewpie_doll, Apr 30, 2013 12:08 PM

Apr 30, 2013 12:30 PM

daintybiscuit said:
i've seen about 40 epidoses of Cheeky Angel and by and large, jack shit has happened. GAH!

added: the reason? in this case the almost the ENTIRE anime thus far is episodic and its fucking annoying. i loved the premise so i picked it up but jesus christ already u know? sadly i feel like i NEED to know what happens so i will finish it, but i was very unhappy with this show. seriously, episodic is ok if its short but this is ridiculous
Well that's just because Cheeky Angel itself is not that good of an anime.

Those episodic episodes skirt around the plot, always thinking you might get close to the answers but you don't. It's not a fault of being episodic, it's because of the story. Detective anime, and other episodic anime have a new story each episode and are not only enjoyable as a whole, but each episode is enjoyable.

Apr 30, 2013 12:40 PM

Every now and then I'll give one a watch.

Apr 30, 2013 12:50 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
daintybiscuit said:

Well that's just because Cheeky Angel itself is not that good of an anime.

Those episodic episodes skirt around the plot, always thinking you might get close to the answers but you don't. It's not a fault of being episodic, it's because of the story. Detective anime, and other episodic anime have a new story each episode and are not only enjoyable as a whole, but each episode is enjoyable.

good analysis lol. and yes, its not a good anime. i was very disappointed b/c as i said, it has a great concept. oh well.

Apr 30, 2013 1:12 PM

YuruYuri is episodic. Need I say more?
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.

Apr 30, 2013 2:53 PM

I don't like nearly anything episodic, but GITS: SAC is a major exception to the rule. Probably the best episodic series I've ever seen.

Apr 30, 2013 3:19 PM

It is very annoying but if the season overall is great then it can make up for that annoying fact,in my standards.I generally,for instance,in romance animes and super power,too,go with the flow and see if it makes me feel great or just annoy me most of romance animes fail that and there arent many super power ones I watch.
@MagnumBookworm: Only 2 more months and we shall enjoy killing again!
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me

Apr 30, 2013 3:22 PM

It really depends on the genre, but they can be good. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Hyouka (semi-episodic since the mysteries usually last 2-3 episodes) are some of my favorite episodic anime. I usually find the mystery and cop genres usually fair the best when it comes to episodic anime. Cowboy Bebop was another pretty good episodic series.

Apr 30, 2013 3:23 PM

Of course. I like that you can stop, take a long ass break (weeks, or even months), and return to an episodic series and still enjoy it because you don't have to remember much to watch the next episode.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

Mar 9, 2014 10:13 PM

some really good ones out there

Mar 9, 2014 10:24 PM

Someone got their hands on the dragon balls.

@ OP - episodic formats can have their appeal. Mushishi and Kino no Tabi have a fresh new adventure each time. My favorite kind of episodic is the style where there's a new story each episode, but character growth is shown in the long run. For example - Natsume Yuujinchou, Aria the Animation, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, and Tamayura.

Mar 9, 2014 10:51 PM
Depends.

Mar 10, 2014 12:13 AM

If the individual episodes are good, I'm fine with it.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 10, 2014 12:14 AM
Usually better than shows that end with a cliffhanger every episode.

Mar 10, 2014 12:28 AM
Heredity said:
Usually better than shows that end with a cliffhanger every episode.
And this is why I like watching anime all in one go. Cliffhangers drive me crazy!

And yeah, I do like watching episodic anime. It really depends on whether or not I like the characters and the style of the show.

Mar 10, 2014 2:35 AM

It depends a lot on if you like the characters and individual stories or not. I don't mind them as long as they keep me interested and have a supernatural/sci-fi factor. Slice of life is just boring.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Mar 10, 2014 2:45 AM

Aye sir!

I like the slice of life genre. It's got plenty of (imo) good anime like Aria the Origination and Nichijou. Needless to say there are also some SoL anime which I dislike like Crayon Shin-chan
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Mar 10, 2014 3:56 AM

dendistoleravage said:
So guys,
I finished watching GJ-bu a few weeks ago, and it has no plot whatsoever, just friends doing friends stuff and shit, until it ends. When i finished watching it, I just didn't know if i liked it or not, I mean, it is fun to watch, but in the end you're like "ehh, ok, it's over". So I just want to know what do YOU think about that type of anime, if you like them and why do you like them, or if you dont like them and why don't you like them (the why part is rather important).

As some people like to say: DISCUSS

there are episodic stuff that when it ends you're not like "ehh, ok, it's over"

also @your haruhi ratings; s2 was the most episodic plotless thing ever and you gave it 10 :|

Mar 10, 2014 4:51 AM

Variety is the spice of life anime.

Mar 10, 2014 6:29 AM

I am currently watching Cowboy Bebop and so far it's been really average. Hope it will get better soon...

Mar 10, 2014 7:13 AM
Those are the best ones to watch over a long period of time. Just take breaks and watch at a very slow pace.

I've never marathoned a purely episodic anime.

Mar 10, 2014 7:19 AM

episodic generally allows more variety and creative freedom since they dont rely on continuity. they can pretty much do anything.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »