Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion on EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Poll: Do you like EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime?


Mar 10, 2014 7:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 29142
If the anime's other aspects like theme, action/comedy, character, and style can peak my interest enough so that I can generate enough motivation to go from episode to episode on those aspects alone, then I don't mind it, but that's not usually the case.

A lot of the times I find it hard to go watch episodic animes because of the lack of plot driving me to watch the next episode, regardless of the fact that I may be really enjoying the episodes beforehand.

Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi being good examples of this. I've watched a few episodes of both and really enjoyed the shit out of the few episodes I've watched, but I feel no motivation to continue watching them over other things I'm wanting to watch.

Forever on-hold..
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
 
Mar 10, 2014 7:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 31959
Korrvo said:
If the anime's other aspects like theme, action/comedy, character, and style can peak my interest enough so that I can generate enough motivation to go from episode to episode on those aspects alone, then I don't mind it, but that's not usually the case.

A lot of the times I find it hard to go watch episodic animes because of the lack of plot driving me to watch the next episode, regardless of the fact that I may be really enjoying the episodes beforehand.

Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi being good examples of this. I've watched a few episodes of both and really enjoyed the shit out of the few episodes I've watched, but I feel no motivation to continue watching them over other things I'm wanting to watch.

Forever on-hold..
cowboy bebop has a actual plot, main antagonist, continuity between many episodes, and character development., if you piece together alot of episodes it really could had just been a straightforward story

it really shouldn't be classified as episodic

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
Mar 10, 2014 7:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 29142
JizzyHitler said:
cowboy bebop has a actual plot, main antagonist, continuity between many episodes, and character development., if you piece together alot of episodes it really could had just been a straightforward story

it really shouldn't be classified as episodic
SoL episodic

potato patato
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
 
Mar 10, 2014 7:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 3569
I BaSe EpIs0DiC sHoWs BAsEd oFf THE qUaLiTy oF tHe InDiViUaL ePIS0dES.
 
Mar 10, 2014 8:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 3713
I prefer episodic actually. Plots sort of lose their meaning in the long run and seriously speaking I could count the anime that I think had intriguing plots with one hand and that wouldn't even be cutting close. It is more about the art, aesthetic, characteristics, mood etc. I don't really find plots as a great source of stimuli. They're vapid things, relying on details and devices that exist solely to satisfy the plot itself and are easily forgotten, or in my case mostly ignored altogether even during watching. It is mostly just glue holding other stuff together and I believe it isn't even meant to be taken all too seriously in vast majority of anime. Endings are nice to have, though.
 
Mar 10, 2014 12:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 4459
Two of my top five anime are episodic/semi-episodic (Gintama and Cowboy Bebop) so I don't mind them at all if the individual stories are great. The one thing that a good episodic anime does really well is telling a whole story in 1 episode as opposed to the usual 13/26/etc episodes that anime with overarching storylines do. Not ideal to marathon but great to watch in short bursts, imo.

 
Mar 10, 2014 12:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 46856
Depends! I don't like episodic if they're trying to have an underlying main plot going on but at the same time, a lot of shows pull off episodic really well. Two of my top 5 are episodic (DC has a main plot but most episodes are irrelevant) and I like them.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆


watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!
 
Mar 10, 2014 1:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 593
Episodic anime can be very enjoyable, as long as the writers don't run out of good ideas for each episode. Then again, I like that feeling of impatience and of wanting to know what happens next when I watch a face-paced show, so I lean more towards the non-episodic anime.
 
Mar 11, 2014 12:20 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2780
The main advantage for episodic shows is that you can watch any episode and not worry about having missed something important. You may miss out on a few minor things (such as a running gag in a comedy), but generally speaking, it shouldn't hinder one's overall enjoyment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Mar 11, 2014 4:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 37
I liked Lucky Star because of its "plotlessness"
I made a 16-bit Sega Genesisr remix of Baccano's OP here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjdBo0z0k

Please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsej4tgCoXDgVH3J7M3NMgw
I do 8-bit remixes, 16-bit remixes, and orchestrations of video game and anime soundtracks. Please like, comment, and subscribe!

 
Mar 11, 2014 5:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 52
Sorry if I'm wrong, but are we talking about something on the lines of K-On!? Because I love K-On and how it is really chill, it seriously brings the little girl in me haha.
 
Mar 11, 2014 10:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1569
Mushishi, Kino, Natsume, Space Dandy, Aria, Tatami Galaxy (for the most part).... yeah episodic anime are always a nice change in pace.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Mar 11, 2014 10:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 826
This was the case for Jigoku Shoujo. I didn't like it very much because it felt like there wasn't enough information or explanation in and after each episode.
 
Mar 11, 2014 10:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 388
depends.i'm currently watching panty&stocking with garterbelt and it's amazing.
 
Mar 12, 2014 12:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1408
Because episodic anime introduce new characters all the time, they tend to develop whatever new characters they have pretty well before they're never seen again for whatever reason. I also like episodic shows because it shows how our main cast acts in a huge variety of different scenarios. This works best when the main cast is likeable, such as those of Bebop and Champloo.
 
Mar 12, 2014 7:03 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2996
Favorite genre: Slice of Life.

Yes, I love episodic series.
 
Mar 12, 2014 7:12 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 10978
 
Mar 12, 2014 9:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 2114
Episodic anime tends to be my favorite. It's not just a boring linear story telling deal, there is always something new or wacky happening to the main characters. I really dig that. Space Dandy is a good example of this as far as recent anime goes.
 
Mar 12, 2014 11:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 69
mecharobot said:
I prefer episodic actually. Plots sort of lose their meaning in the long run and seriously speaking I could count the anime that I think had intriguing plots with one hand and that wouldn't even be cutting close. It is more about the art, aesthetic, characteristics, mood etc. I don't really find plots as a great source of stimuli. They're vapid things, relying on details and devices that exist solely to satisfy the plot itself and are easily forgotten, or in my case mostly ignored altogether even during watching. It is mostly just glue holding other stuff together and I believe it isn't even meant to be taken all too seriously in vast majority of anime. Endings are nice to have, though.


I agree

I like the shorter plots found in episodic anime such as:

mushishi
kinos journey
abenobashi
excel saga
cromartie high

The focus on characters and sometimes the world they live in is much more enjoyable to watch than how something goes from point A to point B. Especially when you can't count on many anime' to finish the story before they stop production/dubbing or go on hiatus.
 
Mar 12, 2014 11:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 278
While I usually prefer anime with episodes that always coincide with the plot of the show, Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi are why episodic anime can be equally as amazing.
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]