Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion on EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Do you like EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime?

Apr 29, 2013 6:17 PM
So guys,
I finished watching GJ-bu a few weeks ago, and it has no plot whatsoever, just friends doing friends stuff and shit, until it ends. When i finished watching it, I just didn't know if i liked it or not, I mean, it is fun to watch, but in the end you're like "ehh, ok, it's over". So I just want to know what do YOU think about that type of anime, if you like them and why do you like them, or if you dont like them and why don't you like them (the why part is rather important).

As some people like to say: DISCUSS
Modified by dendistoleravage, Apr 30, 2013 10:16 AM

Apr 29, 2013 6:18 PM

Not_Biased, is that you?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Apr 29, 2013 6:20 PM
Tavor said:
Not_Biased, is that you?

wat, no... i'm new to the forum

Apr 29, 2013 6:22 PM

Lawl, there is no way he could be Not_Biased. He asked us for our opinions, after all.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 29, 2013 6:23 PM

Only slice of life anime I hate is the episodic-types, which are the plotless.

Apr 29, 2013 6:24 PM

What a loaded poll question.

Apr 29, 2013 6:25 PM

I like what I like and dislike what I dislike. My heart decide it to me.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book will be live this fall. Be sure to back it up guys."

Apr 29, 2013 6:26 PM

I liked Gj-bu, so yes. I like my plotless slice of life.

Tavor said:
Not_Biased, is that you?
At least he didn't vomit his opinion all over us.

Anyways,

Hi and welcome to MAL!
PLEASE DON'T START SHIT STORMS AND USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION NEXT TIME.
Please be civil and enjoy your stay~

Apr 29, 2013 6:27 PM
Sometimes, it has to be funny most of the time for me to like it. GJ-bu was aite.

Apr 29, 2013 6:29 PM
MellowJello said:
I liked Gj-bu, so yes. I like my plotless slice of life.

Tavor said:
Not_Biased, is that you?
At least he didn't vomit his opinion all over us.

Anyways,

Hi and welcome to MAL!
PLEASE DON'T START SHIT STORMS AND USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION NEXT TIME.
Please be civil and enjoy your stay~

wut? how is this even in the slightest way the beggining of a shitstorm? and why am i being compared to Not_Biased? and who the fuck is Not_Biased? and thanks

A relaxing slice of life anime isn't bad every now and then.

dendistoleravage said:
and who the fuck is Not_Biased?

He's nobody special. Just the bane of MAL's existence.

Holybaptiser said:
Lawl, there is no way he could be Not_Biased. He asked us for our opinions, after all.

Touche.

Well then. Personally, I find it rather silly to call the Slice of Life genre as the 'plotless' genre. If there wasn't a plot, nothing would be thrown on screen, it'd be simply blank. It seems to most that plot implies action-oriented with flashy fiights. Unless high school education has done me wrong, plot means simply a problem or dilemma a character or characters are facing; doesn't have to be overly executed, but something simple as a character not knowing where their TV remote went. As the episode goes on, there's comedy, there's interaction, etc until it meets a conclusion of finding that TV remote. So in general, I don't view SoL as "plotless"

Apr 29, 2013 6:30 PM

You don't need plot to burn time, which is the whole point of entertainment really...

Apr 29, 2013 6:30 PM

Plotless? You mean just anime with a plot that you don't like.

Apr 29, 2013 6:31 PM

Tavor said:
Holybaptiser said:

Touche.

Well then. Personally, I find it rather silly to call the Slice of Life genre as the 'plotless' genre. If there wasn't a plot, nothing would be thrown on screen, it'd be simply blank. It seems to most that plot implies action-oriented with flashy fiights. Unless high school education has done me wrong, plot means simply a problem or dilemma a character or characters are facing; doesn't have to be overly executed, but something simple as a character not knowing where their TV remote went. As the episode goes on, there's comedy, there's interaction, etc until it meets a conclusion of finding that TV remote. So in general, I don't view SoL as "plotless"
Even stranger, the anime he's referencing has a "plot" during the last episode: graduation. Technically, every episode has a plot, because every episode something happens. Whoops. Dun goof'd.

Apr 29, 2013 6:33 PM

POINTLESS PLOTLESS PIECE OF SHIT I'm not a fan.

Apr 29, 2013 6:34 PM

quote=dendistoleravage]
wut? how is this even in the slightest way the beggining of a shitstorm? and why am i being compared to Not_Biased? and who the fuck is Not_Biased? and thanks

It doesn't matter who Not_Biased is. It sounds like you're trying to cause a shitstorm because you used the word "plotless", which comes off as negative.

To answer your question, there was one instance in which I despised it, and two in which I didn't, so overall I guess my feelings are positive. I just tend not to watch this kind of anime.

MellowJello said:
Tavor said:
Holybaptiser said:

Touche.

Even stranger, the anime he's referencing has a "plot" during the last episode: graduation. Technically, every episode has a plot, because every episode something happens. Whoops. Dun goof'd.
Even Acchi Kocchi has a plot.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book will be live this fall. Be sure to back it up guys."

I really liked GJ-bu, and plot is not necessary for something to be entertaining.
Nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it state that Humpty is an egg.
"See you later, space cowboy." -moot 1/23/2015

I really like them sometimes!
They are fun to watch and often have really funny moments and cute, likable characters.

Apr 29, 2013 6:35 PM

Never really liked it that much
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote

Apr 29, 2013 6:38 PM
Eh. There are a few good ones (Azumanga Daioh's okay from what I've seen.), but most of them are just "Ani-meh".

Apr 29, 2013 6:39 PM
IntroverTurtle said:

Ehh, sorry to cause misunderstading. What I meant was that kind of anime that doesn't really develop a story throughout its chapters, that has no exposition, rising action, climax and resolution, that kind of stuff

Apr 29, 2013 6:40 PM

dendistoleravage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Ehh, sorry to cause misunderstading. What I meant was that kind of anime that doesn't really develop a story throughout its chapters, that has no exposition, rising action, climax and resolution, that kind of stuff
Brah, don't worry about it. Just go back to watching Monster.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 29, 2013 6:41 PM

I like character centric anime as much as I like story centric anime. Same thing that I like Index for it's story and Railgun for it's character.

Apr 29, 2013 6:45 PM
Holybaptiser said:
dendistoleravage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Brah, don't worry about it. Just go back to watching Monster.

lol, i guess i still have a couple of decades of lurking to do just not to look like a tard. Fun thread nonetheless

Apr 29, 2013 6:47 PM

I care more about the characters anyway, so it's whatever.

Apr 29, 2013 6:50 PM

In case you guys haven't noticed, anime plots are outright terrible so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Apr 29, 2013 6:50 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

I think you're watching slice of life anime for the wrong reason.

Apr 29, 2013 6:51 PM

I like them but they're generally not the type of anime I can marathon. Mostly stuff I watch during snacktime or if I take a break and might not be able to finish an episode. Probably my least favorite type of anime but it has it's place. Aria makes it work with great atmosphere and K-on! makes it work with, well, you know.

Apr 29, 2013 6:53 PM

I like them. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in an anime plot or story, that it is nice when I can just watch it, enjoy it, and let it end.

Apr 29, 2013 6:54 PM

After watching K-on, I thought to myself "why did I enjoy this?"

I saw it as something to not be taken serious, fun is all it is.

Apr 29, 2013 6:55 PM

Kazeshini said:

Apr 29, 2013 6:58 PM
Kazeshini said:

I think this pretty much sums it all up, it's all about having fun watching it, like when you dont want to think, just sit back and enjoy something.

Apr 29, 2013 6:59 PM

Tavor said:
Kazeshini said:

That is pretty much a good representation of K-on right there xD

Apr 29, 2013 7:23 PM

Take them for an entertainment value only and they're great ways to fill the voids in your mood.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 29, 2013 7:32 PM

I like Lucky Star and K-on! so anime with no plot can be just as enjoyable, as long as the characters are likeable you can be happy watching them do the most mundane stuff.

Apr 29, 2013 7:33 PM

Plotless....plotless....oh, you mean PLOT-LESS? Sorry, I got distracted by the word that isn't a word.

Besides that, I always thought the point of SoL was to forget about stupid things like plots and scripts and just go with the flow.

Like Azumanga. If you ever read the manga, you'd know it's based on a series of comic strips, much like Garfield and Dilbert here in the US. It's supposed to be plot-less.

I think that's why I watch stuff like Lucky Star, A-Channel, YY and SYD.

You know...to like....relax....and shit?
Modified by NTAD, Apr 29, 2013 7:36 PM

Apr 29, 2013 7:55 PM

The thing about slice of life anime is that most people (myself included) watch it for a different reason that they would watch something like, say, Monster, Gunslinger Girl, or Eden of the East.

You watch super plot heavy shows (like many mecha shows, etc.) because you want to follow the development of story and see how things will be resolved, etc. Oftentimes (at least in what I've seen), characters are given less of a priority and tend to be less relatable or believable in order to focus on making the plot as grand and epic as possible.

Of course that's not always the case, but it often has been in my experience.

With slice of life anime, the focus is on the characters and their interactions with one another (generally). You mentioned GJ-Bu in your opening post, which I have seen and enjoyed as mindless entertainment. Indeed, it was really fun to watch even though nothing really happened. It was entertaining because the character interactions with one another were enjoyable and, though sometimes unrealistic, were consistent and helped to develop them in the world they were presented in.

The same goes for shows like Hidamari Sketch (the best "plot-less" slice of life in my opinion) or Lucky Star. The fun comes from watching their interactions and the antics they find themselves in. Of course, this is done to varying levels of success as some can be a lot more or less interesting than others, but you have to realize that it's just a different type of style that appeals to a different type of taste.

This question is just as strange as asking "Your opinion on anime that are plot heavy?" or "Your opinion on anime that are too focused on romance?" Since they're simply genres and styles that appeal to different people. Is Toradora a bad anime simply because it's a romance show and you don't like romance? Or is Monster a bad show because it's very plot heavy and slowly unveils things over time and it's not to your tastes? So is GJ-Bu a bad show because it has little focus on plot and a huge focus on characters and it's not to your tastes?

See what I'm getting at? If you couldn't tell, slice of life is indeed my favorite genre and I never get tired of seeing what some may consider "the same thing." Besides, there are plenty of slice of life shows that do have a plot; contrary to what some think, slice of life is not synonymous with plot-less.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're actually listening to people's opinions and not pulling a Not_Biased (complaining about various aspects of the anime fandom and bitching at anyone who disagrees with him).

Apr 29, 2013 11:30 PM
The best genre

Apr 29, 2013 11:41 PM

vayuu said:
The best genre

Agreed. Well done Slice of Life are the best.

Usagi Drop, Clannad After Story, Natsume Yuujinchou, Aria, Kino's journey etc etc.

Just because the story is generally episodic like sitcom doesn't mean it's plotless. Every episode they try to do something.

Take a popular example. K-On.

Episode 1, Gather Member
Episode 2, Part-time job hunting to buy guitar
Episode 3, Practice Guitar
Episode 4, Summer camp
(I don't actually remember which episode is which, but I do know the above occur in chronological order).

etc etc etc

K-On season 1.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 30, 2013 12:00 AM

AndyRayy said:
The thing about slice of life anime is that most people (myself included) watch it for a different reason that they would watch something like, say, Monster, Gunslinger Girl, or Eden of the East.

You watch super plot heavy shows (like many mecha shows, etc.) because you want to follow the development of story and see how things will be resolved, etc. Oftentimes (at least in what I've seen), characters are given less of a priority and tend to be less relatable or believable in order to focus on making the plot as grand and epic as possible.

With slice of life anime, the focus is on the characters and their interactions with one another (generally). You mentioned GJ-Bu in your opening post, which I have seen and enjoyed as mindless entertainment. Indeed, it was really fun to watch even though nothing really happened. It was entertaining because the character interactions with one another were enjoyable and, though sometimes unrealistic, were consistent and helped to develop them in the world they were presented in.

The same goes for shows like Hidamari Sketch (the best "plot-less" slice of life in my opinion) or Lucky Star. The fun comes from watching their interactions and the antics they find themselves in. Of course, this is done to varying levels of success as some can be a lot more or less interesting than others, but you have to realize that it's just a different type of style that appeals to a different type of taste.

This question is just as strange as asking "Your opinion on anime that are plot heavy?" or "Your opinion on anime that are too focused on romance?" Since they're simply genres and styles that appeal to different people. Is Toradora a bad anime simply because it's a romance show and you don't like romance? Or is Monster a bad show because it's very plot heavy and slowly unveils things over time and it's not to your tastes? So is GJ-Bu a bad show because it has little focus on plot and a huge focus on characters and it's not to your tastes?

See what I'm getting at? If you couldn't tell, slice of life is indeed my favorite genre and I never get tired of seeing what some may consider "the same thing." Besides, there are plenty of slice of life shows that do have a plot; contrary to what some think, slice of life is not synonymous with plot-less.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're actually listening to people's opinions and not pulling a Not_Biased (complaining about various aspects of the anime fandom and bitching at anyone who disagrees with him).

We need a damn thumbs up feature, Xinil.

Apr 30, 2013 12:09 AM

i havent enjoyed any of th SOL anime that ive seen, the one im watching atm Hyouka is a snorefest so far... im not giving up on the genre just yet, heard some good things about Usagi Drop, just hope its not something like Clannad

Apr 30, 2013 1:20 AM
Ntad said:
Plotless....plotless....oh, you mean PLOT-LESS? Sorry, I got distracted by the word that isn't a word.

A whole new level of grammar nazism
AndyRayy said:

Thanks for the amazing input and thanks for not bashing at me for picking the word PLOT-LESS (which i have done due to a lack of better understanding of terms, wont happen again). You (and several other people on this thread) made me understand the genre and what it is about, so thanks again <3

Apr 30, 2013 2:28 AM

What is plot. Baby don't hurt me... What do you mean by plot when you call SoL 'plotless'?
Ii tenki desu ne...

Apr 30, 2013 2:34 AM

"Plotless" is a great qualifier for people who don't know what plot means. Also, the "story" is not the end-all of narrative.

GenuineAnime said:
Only slice of life anime I hate is the episodic-types, which are the plotless.

Slice of life is episodic for a reason. Presenting it that way allows for focus on an aesthetic of transience.

Apr 30, 2013 2:41 AM

There are really good slice of life anime and manga, you just haven't found them yet. I like variation in my anime and manga, so SoL is necessary, especially when I want to relax. I suggest you try reading/watching one when you suddenly feel tired of the action-, event-oriented manga. Try Yotsuba&!

Apr 30, 2013 2:48 AM

SoL is supposed to be a simulation of life. I don't think it's gonna be a very "effective" SoL if it is filled with all sorts of exciting activities, like in other genre-focused anime.

Apr 30, 2013 2:49 AM

Allot of slice of life animes has romance or psychology mixed in and that are my two favorite genres so I like them.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Apr 30, 2013 2:50 AM

If its entertaining I'll probs end up getting attached to the characters and enjoy it more~

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »