Forum Settings
Forums

Your opinion on EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime

New
Do you like EPISODIC (NOT PLOT-LESS, SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION) anime?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 10, 2014 7:21 AM

Sep 2012
If the anime's other aspects like theme, action/comedy, character, and style can peak my interest enough so that I can generate enough motivation to go from episode to episode on those aspects alone, then I don't mind it, but that's not usually the case.

A lot of the times I find it hard to go watch episodic animes because of the lack of plot driving me to watch the next episode, regardless of the fact that I may be really enjoying the episodes beforehand.

Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi being good examples of this. I've watched a few episodes of both and really enjoyed the shit out of the few episodes I've watched, but I feel no motivation to continue watching them over other things I'm wanting to watch.

Forever on-hold..
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 10, 2014 7:24 AM

Sep 2011
Korrvo said:
If the anime's other aspects like theme, action/comedy, character, and style can peak my interest enough so that I can generate enough motivation to go from episode to episode on those aspects alone, then I don't mind it, but that's not usually the case.

A lot of the times I find it hard to go watch episodic animes because of the lack of plot driving me to watch the next episode, regardless of the fact that I may be really enjoying the episodes beforehand.

Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi being good examples of this. I've watched a few episodes of both and really enjoyed the shit out of the few episodes I've watched, but I feel no motivation to continue watching them over other things I'm wanting to watch.

Forever on-hold..
cowboy bebop has a actual plot, main antagonist, continuity between many episodes, and character development., if you piece together alot of episodes it really could had just been a straightforward story

it really shouldn't be classified as episodic

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 10, 2014 7:28 AM

Sep 2012
JizzyHitler said:
cowboy bebop has a actual plot, main antagonist, continuity between many episodes, and character development., if you piece together alot of episodes it really could had just been a straightforward story

it really shouldn't be classified as episodic
SoL episodic

potato patato
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 10, 2014 7:33 AM
Jul 2013
I BaSe EpIs0DiC sHoWs BAsEd oFf THE qUaLiTy oF tHe InDiViUaL ePIS0dES.
Mar 10, 2014 8:34 AM

Feb 2012
I prefer episodic actually. Plots sort of lose their meaning in the long run and seriously speaking I could count the anime that I think had intriguing plots with one hand and that wouldn't even be cutting close. It is more about the art, aesthetic, characteristics, mood etc. I don't really find plots as a great source of stimuli. They're vapid things, relying on details and devices that exist solely to satisfy the plot itself and are easily forgotten, or in my case mostly ignored altogether even during watching. It is mostly just glue holding other stuff together and I believe it isn't even meant to be taken all too seriously in vast majority of anime. Endings are nice to have, though.
Mar 10, 2014 12:12 PM

Jun 2011
Two of my top five anime are episodic/semi-episodic (Gintama and Cowboy Bebop) so I don't mind them at all if the individual stories are great. The one thing that a good episodic anime does really well is telling a whole story in 1 episode as opposed to the usual 13/26/etc episodes that anime with overarching storylines do. Not ideal to marathon but great to watch in short bursts, imo.

Mar 10, 2014 12:51 PM

Jul 2012
Depends! I don't like episodic if they're trying to have an underlying main plot going on but at the same time, a lot of shows pull off episodic really well. Two of my top 5 are episodic (DC has a main plot but most episodes are irrelevant) and I like them.
Mar 11, 2014 12:20 AM

May 2009
The main advantage for episodic shows is that you can watch any episode and not worry about having missed something important. You may miss out on a few minor things (such as a running gag in a comedy), but generally speaking, it shouldn't hinder one's overall enjoyment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2014 4:41 PM
Feb 2014
I liked Lucky Star because of its "plotlessness"
I made a 16-bit Sega Genesisr remix of Baccano's OP here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjdBo0z0k

Please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsej4tgCoXDgVH3J7M3NMgw
I do 8-bit remixes, 16-bit remixes, and orchestrations of video game and anime soundtracks. Please like, comment, and subscribe!

Mar 11, 2014 5:44 PM

Jan 2014
Sorry if I'm wrong, but are we talking about something on the lines of K-On!? Because I love K-On and how it is really chill, it seriously brings the little girl in me haha.
Mar 11, 2014 10:23 PM

Jan 2013
Mushishi, Kino, Natsume, Space Dandy, Aria, Tatami Galaxy (for the most part).... yeah episodic anime are always a nice change in pace.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2014 10:28 PM

Apr 2007
This was the case for Jigoku Shoujo. I didn't like it very much because it felt like there wasn't enough information or explanation in and after each episode.
Mar 11, 2014 10:32 PM
Jul 2018
depends.i'm currently watching panty&stocking with garterbelt and it's amazing.
Mar 12, 2014 12:34 AM

Nov 2012
Because episodic anime introduce new characters all the time, they tend to develop whatever new characters they have pretty well before they're never seen again for whatever reason. I also like episodic shows because it shows how our main cast acts in a huge variety of different scenarios. This works best when the main cast is likeable, such as those of Bebop and Champloo.
Mar 12, 2014 7:03 AM
Jun 2012
Favorite genre: Slice of Life.

Yes, I love episodic series.
Mar 12, 2014 7:12 AM
Mar 12, 2014 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Episodic anime tends to be my favorite. It's not just a boring linear story telling deal, there is always something new or wacky happening to the main characters. I really dig that. Space Dandy is a good example of this as far as recent anime goes.
Mar 12, 2014 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
mecharobot said:
I prefer episodic actually. Plots sort of lose their meaning in the long run and seriously speaking I could count the anime that I think had intriguing plots with one hand and that wouldn't even be cutting close. It is more about the art, aesthetic, characteristics, mood etc. I don't really find plots as a great source of stimuli. They're vapid things, relying on details and devices that exist solely to satisfy the plot itself and are easily forgotten, or in my case mostly ignored altogether even during watching. It is mostly just glue holding other stuff together and I believe it isn't even meant to be taken all too seriously in vast majority of anime. Endings are nice to have, though.

I agree

I like the shorter plots found in episodic anime such as:

mushishi
kinos journey
abenobashi
excel saga
cromartie high

The focus on characters and sometimes the world they live in is much more enjoyable to watch than how something goes from point A to point B. Especially when you can't count on many anime' to finish the story before they stop production/dubbing or go on hiatus.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 12, 2014 11:58 PM

Jun 2013
While I usually prefer anime with episodes that always coincide with the plot of the show, Cowboy Bebop and Mushishi are why episodic anime can be equally as amazing.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

40 by Lhundrup »»
1 minute ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you update the rating of anime you've already finished before? Is it an upgrade or downgrade usually?

Rinrinka - Apr 14

33 by 8oomer »»
2 minutes ago

» Is this why he invented it?

SgtBateMan - Apr 13

23 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 5 hours ago

14 by Kushna »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.