Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 29, 2013 8:35 AM

Nov 2010
Well, here are my thoughts:

morrownight said:
I found myself like Chamber, unable to understand the course of Ledo's actions. Why is he putting so much effort into helping the Gargantians?

"Offer water to those who catch you fish". A simple trade: he helps them with their jobs, they give him food (and you can say "shelter").

morrownight said:
Why is he seemingly so willing to become one of them?

morrownight said:
And for someone who has known only war, he is catching on pretty fast to their way of thinking. We're not just talking about someone from another part of the planet, we're talking aliens here.

That remains to be seen. However, we saw from his reactions that he realized his life, being a trained (or maybe even bred) soldier with no other purpose but to fight, lacks "something". To me, it's very interesting to see clash of two different cultures and see reactions from both sides - Ledo started inheriting a little from Earth culture to try and supplement what his complete militarized culture lacks. Future episodes will be interesting :D

morrownight said:
Why are the Gargantians acting like they're the ones doing him a big favor?

To some extent, they are. Resources are limited already, not they have one more mouth they have to feed - Ledo is also a human, he cannot survive long without food and water.

morrownight said:
And what was Ridget talking about "exempting him from the freight charge of hauling this oversized cargo" ? Chamber isn't being hauled around, it's the one doing the hauling...

Chamber cannot stay in the air constantly, he also has a limit on his energy supply. At least Ledo said that in ep1. So, while he's inactive, Gargantia ships are hauling him.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Apr 29, 2013 8:48 AM

Mar 2010
Great emotional episode, loved it :).

Loved the elated rain collecting and Ledo's frozen face, struck by it.

That flute scene made me tear up as well. At first I thought Ledo was the small boy who was given the flute there by his mom (Hey, they do look androgynous enough to get that wrong! :D) but then it turned out I was an idiot there and it was probably Ledo giving it to his brother about to be killed or something. Or Ledo's brother giving it to Ledo about to go into stasis? Or clone? Or friend? Hmmm ... It seems he only remembered it for a heartbeat and then forgot it again though.

I was really impressed with the little boy and the spirit he showed when Ledo flat-out told him he would be mercilessly killed in his society. That kid has got more spunk than Ledo, in a way.

Ledo's society is really looking at reality through an awful lot of fearful narrow-minded tunnel vision, hrm.

Thus the thawing of Ledo is advancing ...

I liked that he is beginning to pick up bits of the language as well :).

I still wonder whether another bigger fleet/alliance of fleets will try to steal Chamber.

Please, no grim-dark Urobutchering. Please! :D
Apr 29, 2013 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
I knew the thing would turn out to be a flute. It kind of looks like an Ocarina.
Apr 29, 2013 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Stake calmer than usual, but no worse for that. Indeed are highlighted the different perspectives of thought among those who live on Garagantia and Ledo that comes from a different world, I could call it a clash of ideals or lifestyle! Then you start to see the background of the main character, even the good choice to include in their main characters a mecha! look over before judging what is seen and what is transmitted through the vision! Graphically it is fabulous, too!
Apr 29, 2013 10:17 AM
Jan 2010
Are Amy's friends the prostitutes of the fleet? No, really, are they?
Apr 29, 2013 10:28 AM

Apr 2009
5/5 just for it having an ocarina, even if it looks funny.

It was sad with the flashback about Ledo's (probably) brother. Though why wouldn't he have remembered it until now unless his memories were suppressed. Also, the weeding out of the weak reminds me of The Giver.

Apr 29, 2013 11:19 AM

Jun 2009
Ray_Light said:
Tears, tears everywhere T_T
I enjoyed it overall, can't wait until next week...

Also that MC is Ledo or Red?
I knew it's differential how to pronounce it...

They clearly spell "Ledo" in the show but I suppose "Red" would be romanized version or something.
Apr 29, 2013 11:42 AM
Sep 2012
Eventhough this series feels so slow I just enjoy watching it, it's even relaxing in a way. It just feels natural. The language barrier goes away gradually, Ledo(Red?) learns more about this world gradually, making it fascinating to the viewer who sees these everyday things as just natural part of life. Like rain, the concept of family or even food in the previous episodes. It's just incredibly gripping to follow. Wonderful world-building.
It even managed to tug on my heartstrings with just a brief glimpse to Ledo's past. Really good episode.
Apr 29, 2013 12:40 PM

Dec 2009
Like a really long movie.

I love this.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 29, 2013 12:53 PM

Jan 2011
This episode was decent, but it's still happy-happy-wonderland.
I don't really like Bevel, he's kind of annoying imo.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Apr 29, 2013 12:56 PM

Mar 2012
Kawaii7878 said:
Raikenzera said:
Alright, I think I know, after this episode, who's gonna get killed off first.

Omfg I will cry if they pull that shit.
Anyways, fantastic episode.

word.
キ チ リ * カ チ リ
Apr 29, 2013 2:27 PM

May 2012
reachupwards said:
Great emotional episode, loved it :).

Loved the elated rain collecting and Ledo's frozen face, struck by it.

That flute scene made me tear up as well. At first I thought Ledo was the small boy who was given the flute there by his mom (Hey, they do look androgynous enough to get that wrong! :D) but then it turned out I was an idiot there and it was probably Ledo giving it to his brother about to be killed or something.

I wouldn't give in to peer pressure just yet.

I will maintain that ledo was the little boy being sent off to become a soldier, never to see his family again. What would be more painful than for a mother (father maybe?) having to watch their son get taken away forever after having had the chance to raise them and watch them grow for as long as they got? Knowing that that child is going to become nothing more than a war machine.

Also, at the people talking about clones and whatever, we saw quite a lot of diversity in the space battle at the first episode, so I'm doubting that's it. And of course how they talked about how Ledo had earned his right to go to the civilian territory and take a mate to reproduce.

Also, after watching the scene again, no one gave the flute to the boy, the boy made it before being sent off. Him always trying to make those flutes could be a conditioned response to something he used to do before he was old enough to be sent off as a soldier.

Of course it could go the way everyone else is saying it is, but until it's confirmed either way I'm going with my gut feeling on this one.
Apr 29, 2013 5:04 PM
Apr 2013
Did anyone else notice the bikini scene in the credits?

I'm liking the plot and themes and subtext of the show and all but I'm kinda eager and excited to get to this episode if it exists, knowing Naruko Hanaharu's talent and all
Apr 29, 2013 5:37 PM

Nov 2012
AoiMizu said:
Spirai said:
AoiMizu said:
PoeticJustice said:
Nice ep.

Looks like Ledo is a clone.

wow..that will be DEEP......but its not impossible as most space people got sliver hair and purple eyes..

But if they just clone, then why in the first episode would Chamber suggest that Ledo go and reproduce a bunch during his four weeks (days?) of vacation?

Well this one confuse me right now...as you say, Ledo got vacation and he can reproduce in his colony. Does this 'reproduce' a.k.a having sex is a job or obliged to Ledo? Something they must done to produce more soldier to fight? Then, in this eps, Ledo do not know what is family or have feeling to be needed or need someone. In other word, Ledo doesn't have family,right?....hmmmm @,@

No, the concept of family definitely doesn't exist in Ledo's world- as we were shown in this episode how he didn't even care much for the concept let alone the term.

As for reproduction, I think Chamber suggested it in the first episode. I mean when Ledo was like, "I'm not really interested," Chamber did suggest that Ledo should at least try, so I'm guessing that they aren't 'forced' but that someone a level above Ledo would probably encourage it and Ledo would take that just like he would with an order. I wonder what the people on that land are like...wonder if we'll ever know.
Apr 29, 2013 5:46 PM

Feb 2013
I'm interested in Redo's past
Apr 29, 2013 7:06 PM
Apr 2013
My take on the little kid is that after every soldier,like Ledo, has had his "civilian" time reproducing, they manage to keep the kid, and essentially a family, for a while before sending them to training.

After that, they all have their minds erased somehow.

What Ledo saw was the memories of his son just before he shipped him to training.

I guess we will see him remembering his waifu too in the long run.
Apr 29, 2013 7:07 PM

Feb 2013
It's nice that ledo is learning their language and communicating with them
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Apr 29, 2013 8:11 PM
Jul 2011
This is the first Mecha anime that I've been enjoying.

And why is everyone calling this guy so many different names?
It says Led on MAL, and Ledo in the subs, Red in Amy's profile on MAL, and someone else just called him Redo......
Apr 29, 2013 9:13 PM

Apr 2013
Great episode, cool and relaxed vibe with great animation as usual.. really the best anime with SnK this season.

5/5
Apr 29, 2013 9:35 PM

May 2010
He cried. ; A ;
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Apr 29, 2013 10:03 PM
Jan 2012
Danny_Ketch said:
My take on the little kid is that after every soldier,like Ledo, has had his "civilian" time reproducing, they manage to keep the kid, and essentially a family, for a while before sending them to training.

After that, they all have their minds erased somehow.

What Ledo saw was the memories of his son just before he shipped him to training.

I guess we will see him remembering his waifu too in the long run.

Uh......, what?

What Red was remembering was his CHILDHOOD. O__o Did he seriously look like an adult outside that capsule? That wasn't Red in the capsule. That was either some kind of "sibling" or a friend.

I will agree with you on the memory-erasure theory part. Either memory-erasure, or memory suppression (outside or traumatic cause).

AnimeFtw1 said:
This is the first Mecha anime that I've been enjoying.

It says Led on MAL, and Ledo in the subs, Red in Amy's profile on MAL, and someone else just called him Redo......

I'm not sure how Production I.G. has his name spelt out in katakana, but, if the subs are naming him "Ledo", then it's spelled out as レッド (Reddo) in katakana which is "Red" in English. I call him "Red", because it makes me cringe to say it in Japanese borrowed English.
BokuranokisekiApr 29, 2013 10:07 PM
Apr 29, 2013 10:15 PM

Dec 2010
In my opinion this is the best episode yet. It is finally calm enough to actually build up the characters and the world a bit more, and I feel that was something it definitely needed to do. With this episode, I'm liking the series more than I did in some of the previous episodes! I look forward to more!
Apr 29, 2013 10:51 PM

Apr 2013
O////////////////////O Ledo's sooooo HOT in this episode I think I'll run out of blood from a nosebleed >.<
I mean... just look at how hawt and cute he is!!

fangirling aside... another really interesting episode or actually the best one yet with all the backstory and of course still in the process of Ledo learning humanity

those tears T_T I just wanna cry with him... interesting point though as of how he remembered it ONLY NOW... most probably his memories were erased or

can't wait to find out who that little kid is...

• MOST PROBABLY his otouto (and most probably one of those weak/sick people disposed of)
  • might be his son (still doubtful since he hasn't even taken vacation yet to reproduce as shown on episode 1 but you know...)

6/5 for me!!

just a little more and this will be overtaking my favorite anime of the season :D
...if you're going to say what you want to say, you're going to hear what you don't want to hear...
Apr 29, 2013 10:56 PM

Nov 2008
AnimeFtw1 said:

Because there's no official source that prints out the names in ISO Basic Latin script that would solidify a proper spelling for everyone's name, so everyone is just going with what they prefer.

Oh, and there's several groups subbing this, and not all of them use the same spelling. Ledo, is the one used by Crunchyroll.
Apr 30, 2013 3:12 AM

May 2009
There is already thread where someone asked about his name, the answer is still same
Ledo - レド
Red - レッド
Apr 30, 2013 3:23 AM
Jun 2009
Another wholesome episode, even if it was free from fighting scenes.
Apr 30, 2013 5:36 AM
Sep 2012
I liked it. It's calm and not much really happens but at the end it felt like a good episode.

I just don't see how this will end well with only 12-13 episodes at the rate the anime is going...... lol
follow me on tumblr (i follow back, unless your some bloody yugiohentai blog lol)
http://xoxotaku.tumblr.com

Apr 30, 2013 7:57 AM
Apr 2013
I registered finally, just to come share how thrilled I am by this show. Also, props to the person on The Escapist who posted a recent topic recommending Gargantia.

Though, when I initially heard it was a "clash of cultures"-story, I was a bit sceptical -- most anime go for the sentimental, idealized version of culture shock (Avatar, Macross Frontier, I'm looking at you two), where both cultures are 100% well-meaning in a way which forces them to commit genocide on the other (go figure), but in the end, love turns out to be the universal language through which they discover how similar they are. It's a bit daft, dismissing cultural differences as tragic 'misunderstandings' that could have easily been avoided by putting your pluckiest, most child-like character at the head of the First Contact committee.

I get the feeling the minds behind Gargantia don't like to take shortcuts, and not just regarding the language barrier. It's quite clear that Red's culture and upbringing manifests as an entirely different mental framework than that of the earthlings - he literally cannot enjoy and appreciate certain mundane things because he ties their intrinsic value to how useful they are at annihilating aliens (and most things in life aren't at all).

I also hope the Galactic Alliance won't be completely vilified; admittedly, a hard thing to do, seeing as they clone child-soldiers and kill any with defects. We can't pass judgement yet since we know so little, but I suppose the aliens had to be a serious threat if it forced humanity to go Klingon/Spartan/Dothraki/you-know-what-I-mean.
SnschlApr 30, 2013 8:01 AM
Apr 30, 2013 10:14 AM

Apr 2013
cephilis said:
So his future self played the song of time and gave his younger self the ocarina.

lmao this post made my day.
Apr 30, 2013 10:56 AM

May 2011
Well this was a pretty nice and peaceful episode.
Apr 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Feb 2012
Even with the lack of of fight this was still was a very good episode.

Also I loved how as Ledo was talking with Bellows the sky darkened and the art smoothly transitions to reflect this. For a second I thought my laptop got disconnected.
StardustCharismaApr 30, 2013 2:22 PM
Apr 30, 2013 3:38 PM
Apr 2013
Uh......, what?

What Red was remembering was his CHILDHOOD. O__o Did he seriously look like an adult outside that capsule? That wasn't Red in the capsule. That was either some kind of "sibling" or a friend.

I will agree with you on the memory-erasure theory part. Either memory-erasure, or memory suppression (outside or traumatic cause).

Actually Ledo was looking at his son/clone. We can clearly understand that from the point of view of the scene. He was seeing the kid going away, not the other way around.
Apr 30, 2013 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
I really like Ledo as a protagonist. He's a blank canvas waiting to be mucked around with at this point, but I am worried about which direction later episodes will take him in. Call me cynical, but I don't see this show ending at all as well as it started.

That said I'm still enjoying it more than anything else this season.
Apr 30, 2013 8:22 PM

Apr 2013
It's really interesting to see the different perspectives of life between the galaxy and gargantia people
I'm pretty amazed how this anime can exploit this into something refreshing and sometimes makes me think how should I answer simple yet difficult to answer question like Bevel and Amy asked to Ledo
Maybe this is my favorite Urobuchi anime so far
Ledo is a really fitting main protagonist for this show
Apr 30, 2013 9:31 PM

Aug 2010
I liked this episode. The slice of life element is nice even if the plot is kinda cliche with the cold technology vs kind primitives plot.

My favorite part was the rain scene, mostly because of the subtle sunny to dark transition they did where the colors slowly faded out before the rain started to fall. Very nice touch there.
May 1, 2013 12:05 AM
Feb 2013
This episode made it even more depressing that its a 12 ep anime, I would die for 20 more episodes like this.
May 1, 2013 6:21 AM

Apr 2009
Interesting. So, humanity from Ledo's side has already become completely militaristic and utilitarian, eh? Well, in the context of being constantly locked in a life-or-death struggle against alien lifeforms who only aim to destroy them, I can't say I blame them for becoming that way. A total war economy and society where efficiency is paramount to survival.

Hmm, so he apparently had a sick(?) brother(?)... who was probably "disposed of" in his utilitarian society. Or he was separated from, never to see again since the concept of family does not exist there. Chamber commenting that the military will eventually find Ledo instead of the other way around could be a glimpse of things to come. A step further towards the interstellar war eventually coming to Earth scenario...
May 1, 2013 7:27 AM

Dec 2012
i actually really like the pace of this anime. ledo slowly starts to learn how everything works on earth, but he still can't really understand it; he learns their language, but he's still just able to speak a few simple words/sentences (which is really well done because usually characters are suddenly able to speak the language after just a few days and i always disliked this); we also learn more and more about gargantia and about ledo's past.
May 1, 2013 12:04 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty heartwarming scene there. I guess next eps will be a cheerful one, I see some fanservice coming XD
Keep moving forward
May 1, 2013 12:55 PM

May 2012
He'll be speaking as fluently as Maou Satan soon.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 1, 2013 2:04 PM
Aug 2011
What a wonderful episode, slowly learning about Ledo and where he came from is really enjoyable to me.
I'm really loving this show.

I really do hope Urobutcher continues to heal us with this anime all the way to the end.
I would never forgive him if Ledo ends up dying. T__T
May 2, 2013 1:10 AM
Feb 2009
damee good episode cant wait for next weeks.
May 2, 2013 9:59 PM

Jun 2011
Hybridbloodszak said:
Seeing Ledo slowly finding the humanity within himself I find really fascinating. His way of life and thinking previously had been very clear cut so it's understandable to see how he thinks the Gargantia's way of life is odd.

I'm also enjoying the little details you can easily miss if you're not paying attention like Amy realizing her clothes were still out when Ledo came to visit Bebel

This
May 3, 2013 1:22 AM

May 2010
I'm guessing all those Alliance soldier including Ledo is a clone or something like that and maybe that is why they have a such strict personality but oh well I just have to wait and see
May 3, 2013 6:47 AM

Jan 2013
Why only 12 episodes :(

This could mean something big will happen in the next episode or two, the buildup to the climax should be starting. (unless this show focuses on the slice of life aspect)

I'm also wondering, how does chamber recharge?
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
May 3, 2013 7:09 AM

Apr 2012
Good break. MC is proven to be as he claims. A battle-trained soldier.
4/5 imo.

Calm and nd collective. Mc past seems to be really interesting.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
May 3, 2013 8:08 PM

Feb 2012
Nice ep~ Not much action but still.
May 3, 2013 8:22 PM
Sep 2011
Shirubaasouru said:
He'll be speaking as fluently as Maou Satan soon.

How dare you mock his natural gift for the tongues?

Anyways. I find it horrifying that the only reliable way to gain water is through rain.

Also.

Dem tears. Dat flute. Dat cutscene. Dat correlation between his adapting to a new language with his exposure to a new culture.

Finally.

Dat shipping.
May 4, 2013 6:37 AM

Aug 2011
It didn't occur to me that I haven't seen rain in the show yet. But when everyone banded together to collect the water, it was a sweet sight.
May 4, 2013 9:55 AM
Mar 2009
4/5
nice and peaceful episode, but I think it's time for action.
only 8 episodes left ):
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.