Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 28, 2013 12:33 PM
Sep 2011
Theorder14 said:
edl01 said:
I'm going to be brutally honest here. 2 episodes into the Chimera Ants arc and I'm really not all that impressed. I mean there is slow pacing, and then there is abysmal pacing, and then there is One Piece pacing, and this falls somewhere between the first two. Nothing of relevance has happened yet apart from them two kids dying. Speaking of the kids; I think the writers where making fun of us, I mean the only possible way they could have made their deaths more obvious is if they put a big flag on their heads! Granted it was a dark scene, but I saw it coming from a mile away.
Well it is two episodes in so I can't complain too much, but still this is the first arc that I haven't absolutely loved from episode 1.

Oh and Jesus guys, I don't seem to be able to go anywhere in the world without reading a huge manga spoilers about a certain characters death, I was just watching the new ending song on YouTube and right there tons of people mentioned it. It is the same with the opening! No not the opening to this arc! I mean the video for the third opening (the YorkShin one) is also filled with comments about this. I mean please, have some restraint for people who haven't read the manga, if you want to discuss manga spoilers then there are places to go!

haha, if u don't want to get spoiled then don't read the comments, just watch the video.i mean, there's always some1 who wants to spoil especially in youtube. It's better here since we can use spoiler tab.

I know. I was definity a bit on the ranty side here. I am just kind of annoyed that I got spoiled on a video about the YorkShin arc, I mean I'll live but still. But you do have a point mentioning that I should avoid Youtube for the rest of this arc.

The spoiler below is a prediction, but I am have a fair amount of confidence I am right so:
edl01Apr 28, 2013 12:38 PM
Apr 28, 2013 12:39 PM
Jul 2012
Obviously you won't be impressed, this arc is boring at the very beginning but then it's fights after fights
Apr 28, 2013 1:34 PM
Feb 2010
Remember this is the arc everyone hated in the beginning but loved in the end. So how about seeing it through the end or reading the manga.

^

Death Note sucks cuz L and Kira are constantly fighting each other. :')
Apr 28, 2013 1:44 PM

Oct 2011
So was this week's ending the actual ending 4 or was it changed to a different verse of the song for a particular reason?
Apr 28, 2013 1:47 PM

Jan 2012
they skipped something again
but good episode 4/5

Apr 28, 2013 1:47 PM

Apr 2013
fearthebeard85 said:

This is what I was wondering too. I like your avatar btw :-]
Apr 28, 2013 2:12 PM
Sep 2011
You know I'm getting real mixed messages from people here. I see a bunch of people saying "the arc starts out really slow and boring but ends up being amazing" and then right underneath it someone else says "OH MY GOD THEY LEFT OUT A SCENE FROM THE MANGA!!! ADAPTATION RUINED FOREVER!!!".
But if people think it started out too slow, wouldn't that make is a good thing that they are skipping over some less relevant manga chapters?

Also can I just ask, why are so many of the ants...well not ants in the slighest? I mean look at some of the chimera in the opening, one of them is a bloody cat girl! How on earth is that an ant? You know if someone messed up the meaning of Chimera then I would sort of understand but how on earth do you not know what an ant is?
Sorry, I'm in a really nitpicky mood right now.
Apr 28, 2013 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
edl01 said:
You know I'm getting real mixed messages from people here. I see a bunch of people saying "the arc starts out really slow and boring but ends up being amazing" and then right underneath it someone else says "OH MY GOD THEY LEFT OUT A SCENE FROM THE MANGA!!! ADAPTATION RUINED FOREVER!!!".
But if people think it started out too slow, wouldn't that make is a good thing that they are skipping over some less relevant manga chapters?

Also can I just ask, why are so many of the ants...well not ants in the slighest? I mean look at some of the chimera in the opening, one of them is a bloody cat girl! How on earth is that an ant? You know if someone messed up the meaning of Chimera then I would sort of understand but how on earth do you not know what an ant is?

All will be explained eventually :D
Apr 28, 2013 2:23 PM
Feb 2010
edl01 said:

That´s actually a really interesting point you make. And it is far from smth to criticize but rather to praise if you get the message.

There´s a manga panel where a certain character says something in the line of ´Would you spare the life of a cow that begged for his life.` With that the cruelty and feelings of superiority against other creatures and races is explicitly mentioned. Yet if there´s one species that we will never take seriously for obvious reasons it is the ant.
Togashi uses this by making the ant something more powerful than before with some awful correct human traits. It´s almost like Animal Farm-.
Apr 28, 2013 2:45 PM
Feb 2010
They got punished because their country does not accept incestuous weddings.
Apr 28, 2013 2:46 PM

Jan 2008
Surprised it wasn't anywhere as gruesome as compared to when Uvo bite that guys face off.
Apr 28, 2013 2:59 PM

Oct 2011
Poor Kurt and Reina T___T The most disturbing scene. The Chimera Queen needs humans/Animals/Ect in order for her to reproduce. Minions and eventually the "King" So "Kurt" is now a Chimera Ant. I wonder if that cat looking Chimera Ant is "Reina"
Apr 28, 2013 3:06 PM

Mar 2013
Dame said:
Watching ants animated makes me feel even more sick than reading the manga did lol. Still 5/5, it's so awesome seeing it animated. Can't wait for other characters to appear.

For manga readers:

what chap was that ?
Apr 28, 2013 3:52 PM

Oct 2008
edl01 said:

Can't you infer from this last episode how that is?

Anyways, I don't know what your expecting from the beginning of an arc, which needs proper buildup in exposition and atmosphere (which was appropriately foreboding). I found it pleasantly entertaining, and it gave a hell of a lot of needed info for what's going on, so I found the episode to be far from irrelevant. On the contrary, I think delving into the nature of the chimera ants is extremely relevant.
DangerrApr 29, 2013 11:51 AM
Apr 28, 2013 3:52 PM

Dec 2008
OMG! Those children! This Chimera Ant Arc seems like it's going to be a pretty interesting one.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 28, 2013 4:19 PM

Apr 2012
lightline said:
Dame said:
Watching ants animated makes me feel even more sick than reading the manga did lol. Still 5/5, it's so awesome seeing it animated. Can't wait for other characters to appear.

For manga readers:

what chap was that ?

It's chapter 315 at the very end of the chimera ant arc
Apr 28, 2013 4:26 PM

Jun 2009
edl01 said:

Er....wasn't that explained in this very episode? The queen eats stuff and that effects the appearance of her spawn. I was thinking the same thing before this episode, but the explanation definitely made enough sense to me.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 28, 2013 4:36 PM

May 2012
The name "Chimera" Ant should be enough of an explanation.

And how can people say there is nothing happening and compare it to the One Piece anime's pacing? In this episode alone we set up Gon and Killua objective for the arc while cementing Kite in the story. Detailed explanation on the Ants and how they operate. It was a very eventful episode.
Apr 28, 2013 4:38 PM

Apr 2013
bleachjoj said:
The name "Chimera" Ant should be enough of an explanation.

And how can people say there is nothing happening and compare it to the One Piece anime's pacing? In this episode alone we set up Gon and Killua objective for the arc while cementing Kite in the story. Detailed explanation on the Ants and how they operate. It was a very eventful episode.

Yeah. A lot actually did happen in this episode and I found it quite entertaining. I think some people are just referring to the lack of "action" in the episode.
Apr 28, 2013 5:16 PM

Nov 2012
Dame said:

For manga readers:

Apr 28, 2013 5:18 PM

Apr 2012
Alexx_ said:
Dame said:

For manga readers:

Apr 28, 2013 5:21 PM
Sep 2009
FrostToaster said:
Alexx_ said:
Dame said:

For manga readers:

"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."
Apr 28, 2013 5:45 PM

Oct 2012
the arc still have a long way... i will enjoyed this arc... XD

Apr 28, 2013 5:58 PM

Mar 2013
FrostToaster said:
Alexx_ said:
Dame said:

For manga readers:

Apr 28, 2013 6:44 PM

Feb 2013
anyone know which chapter of the manga we're on?
Apr 28, 2013 7:06 PM

Mar 2013
gedata said:

I'm pretty sure this episode spanned from 186 to the beginning of 188.
Apr 28, 2013 7:37 PM

Oct 2011
How are those camping tigers even holding those sticks, lol? It almost looks like they have sticks growing out of their heads... That being said, it was an enjoyable episode with some nice anime original add-ons, albeit a bit on the slow side.

Apr 28, 2013 7:43 PM
Feb 2012
GinkgoTree said:
Remember this is the arc everyone hated in the beginning but loved in the end. So how about seeing it through the end or reading the manga.
quote]

Speak for yourself.

I think the beginning of the Chimera Ant Arc (or hell the whole arc) is great.
I enjoyed seeing Gon and Killua hang out with Kite's Exploration Team.
I was disappointed to see Madhouse skipped the part with exploring different
species but at the very least we did see the gang all working together.

It's kinda sad how people act like the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc is slow...
It's really just one and half chapters before already two kids get eaten by monsters.

It's not slow. People are just too impatient.
Apr 28, 2013 7:44 PM
Feb 2012
Dashiawia said:
How are those camping tigers even holding those sticks, lol? It almost looks like they have sticks growing out of their heads... That being said, it was an enjoyable episode with some nice anime original add-ons, albeit a bit on the slow side.

I think they are growing out of their heads...like unicorn tigers.
Apr 29, 2013 4:57 AM

Apr 2013
Dashiawia said:

LOL I was wondering that too. And whenever they want to eat, they have to wait for lightning to strike the ground xD
Apr 29, 2013 5:02 AM
Mar 2009
a quick question, has the manga finished the Chimaera Ant Arc??
Apr 29, 2013 5:02 AM

Apr 2013
Arturya said:
a quick question, has the manga finished the Chimaera Ant Arc??

Yes it has :D
Apr 29, 2013 7:29 AM
Sep 2011
Dangerr said:
edl01 said:

Can't you infer from this last episode how that is?

Anyways, I don't know what your expecting from the beginning of an arc, which needs proper buildup in exposition and atmosphere (which was appropriately foreboding). I found it pleasantly entertaining, and it gave a hell of a lot of needed info for what's going on, so I found the episode to be far from relevant. On the contrary, I think delving into the nature of the chimera ants is extremely relevant.

I understood the explanation just fine. I was more inferring that since a lot of them aren't actually Ant-like in the slightest the name "Chimera Ant" didn't seem very fitting. Even then I was making a joke anyway. I do still stand by my thought that this is a slow start but I never actually stated that I disliked this arc so far either, on the contrary I find it to be insanely interesting which is why I want it to pick up the pace so much.
edl01Apr 29, 2013 7:33 AM
Apr 29, 2013 7:48 AM

Feb 2013
Caleua said:
gedata said:

I'm pretty sure this episode spanned from 186 to the beginning of 188.

Damn this was slow
Apr 29, 2013 8:52 AM

Feb 2013
the next episode, or the one after, had a moment that was etched in my memory, can't wait :)
Apr 29, 2013 8:55 AM

Apr 2013
gedata said:
the next episode, or the one after, had a moment that was etched in my memory, can't wait :)

I think I remember what you are talking about. NEED NEXT WEEKEND TO ARRIVE!
Apr 29, 2013 11:55 AM

Jun 2008
mrsticky005 said:
Bigbuffoon said:
HurricaneSweet said:
Wow his real art is very good
No. Just no. The left panel is his usual drawing... so no.

]

No it's not. Togashi's art style is usually more like the right side.
The left side is Togashi on a bad day (or year). In all likelihood
he was probably ill when he drew the pages but was trying to
meet his deadline.

Togashi obviously has the ability to draw well and to do
so on a consistent basis so to say his bad drawings
are his usual drawings is a bit dishonest.
It be like if Shaq got injured and had a bad season
and people said that's how Shaq usually plays.

Togashi has deadlines? Hahaha! What a nice joke.
Also no his usual has become the shitty one now. He draws like that for years now. Although is not like he made much chapters for years ether so.

"Togashi obviously has the ability to draw well and to do
so on a consistent basis"
-_- No, he doesn't. There is no consistent basis what so ever.
Apr 29, 2013 12:00 PM
Sep 2012
Doesn't matter, the volume releases prove that he can draw better than the rest of WSJ (don't know about artstyle outside WSJ) when he wants.

He's like a shonen main character, always the underdog, but when he wants, his power of will powers him up and lets him beat others. So he gets the last laugh at the end of each arc (set of volumes)
Apr 29, 2013 1:45 PM
May 2009
Wow 2 episodes into the new arc and already we get 2 children devoured. Proof that this arc is going to be far more dark than the previous ones.

Already the Chimera Ants freak me out. They remind me a lot of Cell from DBZ but they're way creepier then Cell ever could be. Cell would just consume things to integrate into himself and then show off how powerful he got. The Chimera Queen is consuming things to to steal their Genes and accelerate the Evolution and Growth of her army. For some reason that is far more intimidating then anything Cell did. Or maybe it's the fact that her first two human victims were two 6-8 year old children.
Apr 29, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
Marow said:
Good job, Madhouse. You're creating a great start o/

Loved the new (?) music.

JohnGalt89 said:

Also, I am glad that they didn't decide to match the quality of the art in this episode with the corresponding chapters. I remember these ones having some particularly ugly pages like the one below:

That's fixed in the released volumes, you know. Here's an example from a chapter covered in this episode:

oh wow thats nice to see! Ive been meaning on seeing some of the volume-updated artwork, as apparently the site I read my manga from doesnt update the HxH with the fixed volume versions of some of the shitty artwork chapters.

Anyways, I personally didnt like some of the changes they did with this episode. I hope MH dont continue on this path of many minor changes. theyve done well up til now.. For example: when Kurt repsonded to his sister about marrying him, in the manga he said " Silly Im your brother, I cant marry you. But I'll protect you until you find a boy worthy enough to protect you as good/better than I do now" wasnt expecting madhouse to add an incestious element.
..I actually notice some dont enjoy madhouse's changes either. glad Im not the only one. they were very faithful up til CA too.

Either ways, Im excited to see this arc blossom. Idk how the first generation ants have human characteristics before a human was eaten though.
the coloration on the ants looks good so far though.
Apr 29, 2013 1:56 PM

Jan 2013
Monad said:
mrsticky005 said:
Bigbuffoon said:
HurricaneSweet said:
Wow his real art is very good
No. Just no. The left panel is his usual drawing... so no.

]

No it's not. Togashi's art style is usually more like the right side.
The left side is Togashi on a bad day (or year). In all likelihood
he was probably ill when he drew the pages but was trying to
meet his deadline.

Togashi obviously has the ability to draw well and to do
so on a consistent basis so to say his bad drawings
are his usual drawings is a bit dishonest.
It be like if Shaq got injured and had a bad season
and people said that's how Shaq usually plays.

Togashi has deadlines? Hahaha! What a nice joke.
Also no his usual has become the shitty one now. He draws like that for years now. Although is not like he made much chapters for years ether so.

"Togashi obviously has the ability to draw well and to do
so on a consistent basis"
-_- No, he doesn't. There is no consistent basis what so ever.

why do you even bother watching anime or reading manga when all it does is upset you?
have you ever written multiple successful manga's? YYH didnt suffer near the extent this did, so Id say that was pretty consistent. Also pretty sure artwork was his good/normal artwork up until near the end of Greed Island, which is longer than some series entirety so Id have to classify that as pretty consistent as well. Dont mean to jump into this argument, but I just know dont understand why you do tihngs that make you so upset and complain all over the forum.
Apr 29, 2013 2:49 PM

Apr 2013
What does all this even matter if they just come out with fixes for the manga anyways...
Apr 29, 2013 5:04 PM

Apr 2013
Killua1102 said:
What does all this even matter if they just come out with fixes for the manga anyways...

Because people like to complain.
>.>
Apr 29, 2013 5:13 PM

Apr 2013
MissoPan said:
Killua1102 said:

Because people like to complain.

This is true...
Apr 30, 2013 4:50 AM

Sep 2012
Yeah, who really cares about a few rushed pages of art. And they're not terrible for what they are, rough drafts. I'd rather rough draft release then no release during a long hiatus period.

Liked this episode. It seems slow because we know what's going to happen and it's not getting there quick enough XD Just take each week as it comes...

Personally, most looking forward to
Apr 30, 2013 10:07 AM

Jan 2008
Manga readers, stop posting spoiler. Seriously.
Apr 30, 2013 10:53 AM

Feb 2013
TheUnknownX said:
Manga readers, stop posting spoiler. Seriously.

we need to start making separate episode threads for fellas who read the manga, but are having trouble keeping their lips tight. But most of us have hidden the spoilers, just some of us need to hide them or shut up.
Apr 30, 2013 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
Well surely the "eating" part feel a bit more tense than manga because of animation and sound. The explanation is loud and clear.. Not bad for now..
Keep moving forward
Apr 30, 2013 6:23 PM

Mar 2013
I had to go murder a few crabs in order to quell my rage over the kids' deaths.
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Apr 30, 2013 6:34 PM

Apr 2013
Pusswookie said:
I had to go murder a few crabs in order to quell my rage over the kids' deaths.

Haha Yes.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by Gator »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Apr 16, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Apr 16, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.