Forum Settings
Forums

KyoAni's Swimming Anime 'Free!' Due in July

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2013 11:06 AM

Jan 2011
Downgrade355 said:
VioLink said:

Girls with boyish(not manly) faces are usually cute.

Yeah, if you were to add female features aside from the face to like, half the male characters in anime they'd totally look like attractive girls.

Suruga Kanbaru is a good example.
[center]
Apr 26, 2013 11:07 AM

Feb 2012
Ejc said:
Downgrade355 said:
Ejc said:

Hm, then it may be possible for both to go above 10k at least. I still stand by my opinion that one will significantly outsell the other. It will possibly be KuroBas S2 due to already having an established fanbase.

KuroBas will certainly outsell this one, why?
Because as you've mentioned, it already has an established fanbase, the first season sold fairly high, and this swimming anime isn't getting any hype in japan, as opposed to western fans, it's funny because KuroBas never got this much hype over here. although KuroBas S2 will sell much less than than S1 because of the fact that the female fans are spending their pennies on UtaPri.

That is a good reason. It is also a major reason why the winter 2013 anime looks so dismal compared to spring 2013 anime. The otaku were saving their money for the major anime in spring 2013 (railgun, oreimo and utapri).

This will definitely have an effect on how effective the buying power is for the female demographic in the Summer season due to having KuroBas S2 in the exact same season.

Male otaku will also be pooling their resources on the upcoming Monogatari Second Season, which is realistically going to sell 50k minimum as the average I think.
KnB S2 is in Sep though, while this anime is in July.
Apr 26, 2013 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
Saw this awesome news on my twitter feed when I woke up like an hour ago. I have to say this is the best news to wake up to. I look forward to watching this this summer, if I'm not too busy looking for a place to live...
Apr 26, 2013 11:11 AM
Sep 2012
Yvese said:
KnB S2 is in Sep though, while this anime is in July.

September is summer. And I'm guessing the bluray/dvd will be out on october for both.
If not, the oooh boy Lantis/Kyoani has great PR managers or what.
Apr 26, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2008
In July already? Was expecting this to come out later.
But i'm glad ^^
Apr 26, 2013 11:17 AM

Dec 2008
I've never heard of this, but after watching the trailer...my body is ready!
Apr 26, 2013 11:18 AM

Jan 2012
Villetta_Nu said:
I've never heard of this, but after watching the trailer...my body is ready!

There are two trailers. Watch the Shingeki edited version.
My Twitter
My Tumblr - Anime Blogging on current airing season as I watch them.
My deviantArt - Anime FanArts.

Please leave replies on my profile page, as I am unlikely to see them otherwise. Thanks.
Apr 26, 2013 11:21 AM

Dec 2009
MY SOUL IS NOT HERE ANYMORE

EDIT: MIYANO MAMORU FUCKING MY EARS HARD YES IJDFJXMCXMSKDFNCZXSFLDSVM
LiinahApr 26, 2013 11:59 AM
Apr 26, 2013 11:22 AM

Jan 2011
BoaCC said:

You should really start an advertising agency, you have a lot of potential.
Apr 26, 2013 11:22 AM

Sep 2011
BoaCC said:

Yes the less awkward, more manly version. LOL
Apr 26, 2013 11:23 AM

Aug 2010
LOL laughing so hard...must be disappointing to those who thought it will be FMP...
Apr 26, 2013 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
I will watch. Ookiku Furikabutte is one of my fav anime, so I don't mind the homosexual undertone that this anime will have.

Will I finally like one anime from KyoAni?
Apr 26, 2013 11:29 AM

Feb 2012
YEAH! I knew it was this one. Great cast, but why is Mamo-chan voicing Pimp-kun...? Well, I'm sure he'll do a good job. + Yonaga Tsubasa and Tatsuhisa Suzuki, so YAY! Opening by OLDCODEX, cool.

Let's hope they manage to pull this out.
Apr 26, 2013 11:30 AM
Aug 2011
BLESS YOU KYOANI! AOTM- ANIME OF THE MILLENNIUM.
Take my money and my bank account take it all!!

Let them keep hating i'll be too busy bathing in all the glory of your fujoshit to hear any of that noise. <333
Apr 26, 2013 11:33 AM

Jul 2010
the most amazing thing about this is that this was probably all due to the amazing fan reaction that the PV had. fangirls went mental about these 30 seconds. so in a way it would be stupid if kyoani hadnt reacted. but i still find it weird they are gonna make this for real, as if fans shouldnt be allowed to have that big of an influence.

FUJOSHI POWAAAAS!

well not only fujoshis... i assume there is no female that DOESNT look forward to this at least a bit xD
Apr 26, 2013 11:36 AM

Aug 2008
flyingpardin said:
the most amazing thing about this is that this was probably all due to the amazing fan reaction that the PV had. fangirls went mental about these 30 seconds. so in a way it would be stupid if kyoani hadnt reacted. but i still find it weird they are gonna make this for real, as if fans shouldnt be allowed to have that big of an influence.

FUJOSHI POWAAAAS!

well not only fujoshis... i assume there is no female that DOESNT look forward to this at least a bit xD
That commercial had no influence on this announcement, by the way.
Apr 26, 2013 11:45 AM

Sep 2010
I'm so happy right now and its airing next season. This is the best announcement ever from KyoAni (unless they say oh hey more FMP! next year)

Watching not even going to think about it cause I've been waiting for this since I seen it all over my dashboard on tumblr.

At least we got names for the guys instead of everyone calling them Pimp, Tsun, Shota, and Senpai. xD

Oh and hey there is a megane DO WANT THIS ADAPTION NOW!
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 26, 2013 11:45 AM

Sep 2012
danilodsz said:
you know, the thing I most hate about hype and fujoshis, is that the anime didn't even started and already exist retarded people who are giving it a "10" score.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/18507/Free!/stats

What do you think of people who gave it a 1?
Apr 26, 2013 11:46 AM

Feb 2012
flyingpardin said:

FUJOSHI POWAAAAS!

Why do people think this had anything to do with it?

It's pure coincidence. This show is based on a LN that won an honorable mention from the KyoAni awards two years ago. TWO.

It was likely greenlit for an anime around that time.
Apr 26, 2013 11:46 AM

Jun 2008
Nine people have already added this to dropped >w<
Apr 26, 2013 11:48 AM
May 2012
BITCH, YES! FINALLY! OMG! O/////////O
Apr 26, 2013 11:48 AM

Dec 2009
danilodsz said:
you know, the thing I most hate about hype and fujoshis, is that the anime didn't even started and already exist retarded people who are giving it a "10" score.

As expected from MAL.
Apr 26, 2013 11:49 AM

Sep 2010
SetsukoHara said:
danilodsz said:

Trolls and Otaku who are pissed that they won't be able to fap to their precious female moe blobs this time around. xD

I'm glad that KyoAni is taking a risk in doing this I just hope that it sells well so that we can get more stuff out like this. Cause I really loved Kimi to Boku, NichiBros, and Tsuritama they were centered around male characters and I think we need more anime like this instead of the usual "cute girls doing cute things" or "girls in a highschool setting" This is a breathe of fresh air and I'm glad KyoAni is doing this.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 26, 2013 11:51 AM
May 2012
Fujoshi power, unite.
Apr 26, 2013 11:52 AM

May 2012
Instead of "cute girls doing cute things" it's now "cute boys doing cute things" i really dont see the difference, except the change in gender.

Plus it hasn't even aired yet and people are already giving it 10s and 1s?! Dafuq?
Feb 2011
I knew this would be a series! But I'm very surprised it will be airing in July :D Can't wait!

Aug 2012
Liinah said:
danilodsz said:

As expected from MAL.
It could be worse.

Much worse.

inb4 it gets worse.
Apr 26, 2013 11:55 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No FMP? Oh well.

This thread, though... it's like the anime already ended.
Apr 26, 2013 11:56 AM

Jan 2011
SetsukoHara said:
danilodsz said:

They are perfectly fine, along with the 12 people who have dropped it (before it even aired).

Wow I knew people would be butt devastated but this is just too much hahahaha. I love it.
[center]
Apr 26, 2013 11:56 AM

Sep 2010
MellowJello said:
Liinah said:
danilodsz said:

As expected from MAL.
It could be worse.

Much worse.

inb4 it gets worse.

I really think the ratings system should be disabled until the series actually starts airing. This goes for any anime btw...
Apr 26, 2013 11:58 AM

Aug 2009
DREAMS DO COME TRUEEEEE ♥
Apr 26, 2013 12:01 PM

Apr 2013
Roloko said:
I'm glad that KyoAni is taking a risk in doing this I just hope that it sells well so that we can get more stuff out like this. Cause I really loved Kimi to Boku, NichiBros, and Tsuritama they were centered around male characters and I think we need more anime like this instead of the usual "cute girls doing cute things" or "girls in a highschool setting" This is a breathe of fresh air and I'm glad KyoAni is doing this.

Lol this is still the same moe shit pandering Kyo ani is famous for, this is literally the same thing except different genders.
''Cute boys doing cute things ''
OMG so much different and a breath of fresh air /derp.
Apr 26, 2013 12:03 PM

Feb 2012
Omfg lol NO. Didn't expect it to happen.
But what the hell, will watch it.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Apr 26, 2013 12:04 PM
Jul 2010
symbv said:
Well, those "KyoAni fans" you read about are almost all male fans. The success of this anime may probably rest on whether it will get the female fans to buy, not how much it appeals to the male fans.

symbv, what kind of reactions have you seen in Japan about this anime? Did it get the same reception as the Western fandom or was less lukewarm?
In my opinon, Kyoto Animation is taking a huge risk with this production. They are not only alienating their typical fanbase, but also making an original story and those are already risky by themselves (that's why they are pretty rare). The thing about appealing to the female/fujoshi/otome demographic is that it's really unpredictable, you can either sell a lot or be a complete and utter failure and the most common outcome is the latter, that's why fujoshi/otome series are greatly outnumbered by male oriented ones.
If I were in KyoAni production Committee I wouldn't have founded this: it's practically a gamble since by being an original anime all your profits are going to depend on the Dvd/BD sales, and seeing how fickle female otaku are makes things even riskier.
Apr 26, 2013 12:04 PM

Nov 2012
Might be the only guy whose actually excited for this and its not for the guys, but for the swimming aspect of it. Really don't mind BL/Yaoi moments all that much.
Apr 26, 2013 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
Meh. Not my type of series. I'll be skipping this one.

Also, why is it that now I keep seeing anime name male characters Nagisa? Whenever I hear that name, I think of Nagisa from Clannad.
Apr 26, 2013 12:09 PM

Jan 2011
AnimeForDummies said:
Might be the only guy whose actually excited for this and its not for the guys, but for the swimming aspect of it. Really don't mind BL/Yaoi moments all that much.

Nah, you're not alone.
Apr 26, 2013 12:10 PM

Feb 2012
Apr 26, 2013 12:11 PM

Jun 2010
FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ~~
can't fuckin wait!
Apr 26, 2013 12:11 PM

Jan 2011
AnimeForDummies said:

I will watch for the bromance like in Kimi to boku.
[center]
Apr 26, 2013 12:19 PM

Sep 2011
Yvese said:
Why do people think this had anything to do with it?

It's pure coincidence. This show is based on a LN that won an honorable mention from the KyoAni awards two years ago. TWO.

It was likely greenlit for an anime around that time.

holyshit, now that i did some research, it's actually true.
not that i'm one of those people who have the mentality as the one you replied to, but this anime isn't getting hype in japan, ITS ALL THE WESTERNERS.
Apr 26, 2013 12:24 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:

I don't understand why this concerns people. If someone who likes KyoAni shows doesn't like the premise of one, they can just not watch it. They can watch other stuff in summer and come back for the next show (Kyoukai in this case) .

I don't need to like or even watch every show a studio does. I didn't feel alienated from Shaft because I didn't care about watching Mariaholic. I didn't feel alienated from JC Staff because I didn't care about watching Arcana Famiglia. And I see no reason to feel alienated from KyoAni if I didn't want to watch this (though that's not the case, I do plan to try this out).

basically, the male otaku in japan (not all of them), who're the pillar of KyoAni, are disappointed, though i don't really find it that reasonable, i do understand the whole "ermehgerd studio betray us" thing.
Apr 26, 2013 12:30 PM
May 2010
I'm already laughing. Say what you will about the anime they make, nobody these days can set anime fans off like KyoAni, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Apr 26, 2013 12:38 PM

Jan 2011
Someone posted a news from the start of last year that was already a foreshadowing of this adaptation. We all just like to shitpost I believe. This thread will probably be hot and alive for a good time so I'll go finish my stuff in that needs to be updated.
Apr 26, 2013 12:44 PM
Jul 2008
So it DID get an anime in the end... well... what can I say?
Seems like a complete waste to have one of the best studios doing this, but I guess I'll give it a shot just in case.
Apr 26, 2013 12:53 PM

Nov 2009
FUCK YEAH

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Apr 26, 2013 12:56 PM

Jun 2012
The one guy with the split hair looks legit...

I guess it was only a matter of time... Will watch.
Apr 26, 2013 12:56 PM

Aug 2011
I think it looks pretty awesome so far. All male cast for a change and a focus on swimming. Great animation as always, I'm quite intrigued in this show.
Apr 26, 2013 1:06 PM

Sep 2010
Tamako was a fail. Instead doing something different, they are going with more bad slice of life, but now fujoshi oriented. Not watching more Kyoani series until they change their mind. They can try something different or going to do new season of other successful series, but they are doing the same again and again, i thought that with hyouka they were going to change a little, but no.
War_lotharApr 26, 2013 1:11 PM
Apr 26, 2013 1:07 PM

Jan 2011
I'll probably watch it. If I don't like it, I'll drop it, since I'm not being forced by the studio to watch it
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

4 by MichaelJackson »»
50 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

71 by MichaelJackson »»
55 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
12 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.