Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2013 3:36 AM

Jun 2010
I liked the ending. It focused on what was the most important in the end - Zenkichi and Medaka. Kumagawa didn't appear which is always a plus (though he gets his own epilogue of course, eh) and the only real problem is that they prety much established Anshin'in is alive which is just wrong, but meh, in a manga like Medaka Box I can let it slide.

Overall this series was one hell of a ride, ever chapter providing exciting, unexpected development and crazy cliffhangers. People say it got worse after the Minus arc and I can see where they come from but I still disagree. It was lots of fun all the way and I sure hope they authors join forces once again soon.

Best chapter... A lot. But what still strikes me as the crowning moment is the revela of Anshin'in's motivation in chapter 140. I mean where have you last see a UNIQUE VILLAIN MOTIVATION? Utterly brilliant, especially since she was constantly telling us this, word for word, and we still had no clue.

And that's how Medaka Box landed on the list of my favorites. About time really.
Apr 26, 2013 5:04 PM

May 2012
Abit sad, but happy. Great ending to a great manga.
Apr 26, 2013 6:41 PM

Mar 2012
This ending is just like Hitman Reborn....

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Apr 26, 2013 7:23 PM
Mar 2009
So almost everyone lost their skills?

The Suggestion Box is now a Treasure Box. Heh.

That was...a pretty lame last chapter. I was full on expecting Zenkichi and Medaka to do something romantic or a wedding, but I guess fighting suits the both of them. Well, they're going to end up married anyway with their "bet", lol.

Kumagawa and Ajimu breaking the fourth wall to the very end. Damn, I really wanted to see Kumagawa and Ajimu.

Can't believe this is over...I still remember reading the first chapter and just liking it to keep on reading till now. I'm definitely going to miss Medaka and Zenkichi.
Apr 28, 2013 3:30 AM

May 2008
Read the manga since it released as well i enjoyed it but the last chapter was kinda a troll but i enjoyed the series overall and i hope the next jump manga that releases is good...
Apr 28, 2013 6:50 PM

Oct 2012
And there goes Medaka Box, I had a lot of fun reading it and even when shit was getting crazier and crazier with every new arc it still kept you coming for more.

Atleast it finally became ZenkichixMedaka in the ending, gonna miss it though.
Apr 30, 2013 9:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Troll ending for Kumagawa.

The awaited appearance never happened lol.

He probably ran off to another manga.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 1, 2013 7:44 AM

Dec 2012
What the...? I don't even...
8/10.
May 6, 2013 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
Goddamn, this manga was one hell of a terrific ride! I was unable to stop reading each chapter after I read just one and before I knew it it was way past midnight >.<

I enjoyed this ending for Medaka and Zenkichi but..... where is Kumagawa and Ajimu!?

You better come back Kumagawa!!!!!

9/10
May 12, 2013 12:18 AM

Sep 2008
well, not what i expected, but still
thanks for these years of reat stories and figths =)

and for all the memories and fun, 3 good years for me =D
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
May 18, 2013 6:39 AM
Jan 2011
wrong...*
fun to read manga, typical battle shounen manga but with main female chara as the overpowered....
but both female and male main character have their own good point and not having one of them being useless....
Zenkichi with his capability and his hard work really not letting me down especially when compared to any useless main male chara...
Medaka although seems overpowered but still can lose in term of other things..

an interesting manga for me is at least by having both male and female main chara to be in the spotlight (even though if they're not the main spotlight, but still give impact) and not to be useless

waiting for the Kumagawa.... he must not graduate from shonen jump... really...
ZleonilMay 18, 2013 8:15 AM
May 25, 2013 10:08 AM

May 2013
This was a great manga to read. Gonna miss it.
May 26, 2013 10:41 AM
Jun 2012
preetty nice ending. sorta wished that they would have showed medaka and zenkichi getting married especially medaka in a wedding dress would have been nice.
only thing i wanna know is who was kikaijima mogana baby's fater
Jun 1, 2013 4:29 PM

Feb 2013
Jun 5, 2013 10:25 AM

Mar 2013
The ending is good, zenkichi and medaka ended up getting married but it missed one thing.. Kumagawa whereabouts are unknown only leaving a single message that he had fun through those past 4 years, loser is still a loser I guess.

Jun 15, 2013 3:51 PM
Jul 2011
But but but where's the marriage ceremony and the romantic kiss with the bells ringing and stuffs well nvm i can live with that but man they should have dissed our MC yh our MC none other than Kumagawa. Now i feel really bad i so wanted to see him and ashin'in san :(. Hopes to god the series will will resume or some spin offs will done sooner of later :)
Jun 17, 2013 1:57 PM

Jun 2008
Honestly, Medaka was ugly as an adult.
Also i find stupid that he removed their powers now they've grown just so he can get to a normal life ending thing.
Jun 25, 2013 12:51 PM

Oct 2012
Well i appreciated the manga but i feel like there is too much stuff missing after all and mostly Kumegawa time skip appearance he was so awesome as a character. I guess it was the right ending to have it that way but im still going to miss Medaka Box, i had great time reading it with all the jokes and exaggerated character well...time to move on XD.
Jul 26, 2013 7:24 AM

May 2013
Damn I find the ending pretty rushed considering they had time to waste on the shiranui arc ( I liked it the least out of all the arcs), I good ending for Medaka x Zenkishi, I would've liked it better if it had a wedding page at the end though. Damn no Kumagawa or Anshin'in appearance or new info.
Aug 22, 2013 10:51 PM
Oct 2008
When I first heard of Medaka Box I thought it was just some cliché ecchi involving some big-breasted bimbo... My god was I wrong this Manga was great I loved everything about it.

9/10
Sep 21, 2013 11:23 AM

Jun 2012
actually i was planning to give these manga 9/10 for unique story and for epic character Kumagawa and Anshin'in, but everything was ruin after (ugly new character design of)adult Medaka appeared......
Sep 22, 2013 5:25 PM
Sep 2013
I find it very sad that Zenkichi ultimately failed in his dream to catch up to her. He says it himself, Medaka will always be far better than him. He doesn't even get to defeat her before the story ends.
Sep 30, 2013 9:06 PM

May 2011
Ahhhh such a bittersweet feeling! So sad to finish this series but happy as well that Medaka and Zenkichi can finally be together. For once, a clear happy ending where I feel satisfied and don't have to look back ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2013 8:44 PM

Oct 2013
was a very interesting manga, have after watched both series anime i was forced to read the mangas aswell, something missed at the end

-Najimi no new about her, i think sincerely its was a awesome characters and should have come back to the life at the end, from any way possible(anyway, characters are already coming back from ridiculous way, so why not her?)

-Misogi Kumagawa, should have been absolutely at the 191 or 192 chapter, whatever which

-i got the feeling that the end got rushed a bit, it could have showed 2 or 3 pages only about the wedding of medaka and Zenkichi Hitoyoshi, like come on, its over anyway, otherwise its was a good show
Jan 29, 2014 1:47 PM

Aug 2013
I'm crying because its over. It was a good ending and I usually don't like time skip endings, but it worked for this series. It was nice to see that everyone was doing well and that Medaka and Zenkichi will finally be together forever. The only problem was that Kumagawa and Anshin never showed up. Even though we know they are okay and that is just their way of doing things, I just wish they would have been in the last chapter. At least we got to see what they wrote. At first I thought it was going to end without that. The color page at the end was very pretty and brought feels lol. Overall, I really love this series!
Jan 31, 2014 4:32 PM
Sep 2013
For some reason, the loss of powers struck me the wrong way. Maybe partially because I've always seen adults as "more powerful" than kids, but this presents the opposite, which raises plenty of questions of how society functions.

I also seem to be cynical, since without actual confirmation that the marriage occurs, I can only assume that it gets delayed yet again, like every single other time they wanted to get together.
Jan 31, 2014 5:41 PM

Aug 2013
Lupus753 said:
For some reason, the loss of powers struck me the wrong way. Maybe partially because I've always seen adults as "more powerful" than kids, but this presents the opposite, which raises plenty of questions of how society functions.

I also seem to be cynical, since without actual confirmation that the marriage occurs, I can only assume that it gets delayed yet again, like every single other time they wanted to get together.

The losing their powers seemed a little strange at first, but it does make sense because they do have your typical over the top powers that are from a shonen of course and perhaps its more metaphorical with how they grow up.

And as far as the wedding, I think its not necessary to have it because you know it will happen. They just had to have it after the time skip because they can't get married while they are still in high school.
Jan 31, 2014 6:07 PM
Sep 2013
I was just wondering how adults - who usually don't have superpowers - can keep teens in line. Do teenagers actually rule the world, instead of adults? It just raises too many questions.

I say this because they originally planned to marry right after graduation, but this was delayed for an entire decade. Apparently, Zen wanted to catch up with Medaka, but the ending unfortunately has him realize how hopeless that lifelong dream was. That's why I can't assume that they succeed in getting married this time. Maybe I'm too literal a reader.

Also, is Medaka still headmistress, or was that just a temporary thing?
Jan 31, 2014 6:38 PM

Aug 2013
Lupus753 said:
I was just wondering how adults - who usually don't have superpowers - can keep teens in line. Do teenagers actually rule the world, instead of adults? It just raises too many questions.

I say this because they originally planned to marry right after graduation, but this was delayed for an entire decade. Apparently, Zen wanted to catch up with Medaka, but the ending unfortunately has him realize how hopeless that lifelong dream was. That's why I can't assume that they succeed in getting married this time. Maybe I'm too literal a reader.

Also, is Medaka still headmistress, or was that just a temporary thing?

Yeah, Zenkichi wanted to wait until he was at a place where he could be with Medaka. He waited until he got into a high position in the company so he could work with Medaka even though he didn't really 'surpass' her.

As far as the headmistress thing, I'm guessing that it was probably temporary so she could still be with her friends and now she just focuses on the company. Unless she does both now, but that would be pretty hectic.
Jan 31, 2014 7:04 PM
Sep 2013
StarkSan said:
He waited until he got into a high position in the company so he could work with Medaka even though he didn't really 'surpass' her.

I couldn't comprehend why that was so important he didn't propose to her the second he graduated. But after your explanation... I still can't make any sense of it.

Unless she does both now, but that would be pretty hectic.

Which means that SHE probably still has both jobs. She is trying to make to make a new moon, though. I say "try" because since we aren't shown her plan, I have no reason to believe it to be anything but pie-in-the-sky dreaming. Unlike Medaka, I can't automatically believe someone can do something just because they promised (if I were in Zenkichi's position, I'd make that phone call anyway).
Jan 31, 2014 8:15 PM

Aug 2013
I think that he wanted to earn his place by Medaka's side (working his way up in the company) so he could feel more like her equal rather than her shadow. Right after he graduated, there was still too much of a gap between them with him being fresh out of high school and her the headmaster.
Jan 31, 2014 8:29 PM
Sep 2013
And yet, he talks about "the disparity between Medaka and I", after she talked of restoring the moon. As if he realized that the past decade didn't really change anything, at least not in the long run.

I guess by this point I'll just have to accept that his priorities are vastly different from my own and they'll simply not make any sense to me. It's like, what's the point of distinguishing between Abnormals and Normals if "normal" people can run up walls, destroy the floor by stomping on it, and have mindsets that make no sense?
Jan 31, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
Yes, there is no trying to understand Zenkichi's mind :P
But for a normal, he was pretty powerful.
Jul 26, 2014 4:33 AM

Jun 2011
Great manga.. i enjoyed it a lot! 8/10
ReaperCreeper said:
You liar Kumagawa, you said you wouldn't graduate from Shounen Jump. Can't believe it's actually over.

『 He's a minus 』
Jul 28, 2014 7:51 AM

Aug 2012
& thus ends Medaka Box! I'm going to quickly go over my thoughts on each of the arcs . . .

Student Council Executive Arc ~ Simple comedy beginnings. I enjoyed this way more than I should've, which is kinda sad since I didn't enjoy it a ton. The shift to battle shonen was jarring to say the least but I was aware it was coming so it wasn't that build (plus the build to Kumagawa was great). Unzen was a garbage villain. 6/10

Thirteen Party Arc ~ Overall not good but again, for whatever reason I managed to muster enjoyment out of this arc. Another garbage villain but more Kumagawa build-up and the transition between this arc & the next was the best. 5/10

Minus Arc ~ The best arc, bar none. The best villains, with the main one being the best character. The best "battles", particularly Kumagawa vs. Zenkichi & Kumagawa/Emukae vs. Hitoyoshi family. The best humor, thanks to Kumagawa. The best character development. Including the most thematically fitting & naturally implemented development for Medaka. & the most interesting dynamic in all of Medaka Box is Kumagawa & Ajimu & it shines in this arc more than another. Also the most quotable arc, thanks to Kumagawa.

The only thing holding it back is it could be dull when Kumagawa wasn't around. I never cared for Hinokage vs. Gagamaru & on reread I didn't care for Shibushi vs. Naze. Plus, I never loved the conclusion. I'm wavering on a 8 or an 9, I'll go with 9 for now.

Kurokami Medaka's Successor ~ I never really bought Medaka's development here post hunt & there were a ton of dull/boring moments throughout. It also had the pointless twist that Wanizuka was related to Munakata. But Ajimu was awesome, the treasure hunt provided several great/fun moments (including Akune at his best [but they demoted him to extra after the hunt really, sadly]) & we still had Kumagawa. Along with some great chapters like 140 or whichever one Zenkichi realized he's just been lusting for Medaka. 6/10.

Jet Black Bride Arc ~ Started off great but the ending was such a letdown. Garbage villain, plenty of bs moments, even for Medaka Box & just couldn't keep the momentum from the previous moments, which were really fun for the most part. 6/10

[. . . Actually, I don't want to do this anymore. I rated the other arcs in chapters not too far back so if anyone's interested, which I doubt, you could check those out. I liked Medaka Box but it really did peak at the Minus Arc unfortunately, almost none of the other arcs were really that strong but several of them provided strong moments at least but as a whole, the Minus arc is really the only time the series excelled on most levels. It's partially why it's the only story I read twice. ]

Characters are a mix bag, there are a few I love, Kumagawa & Anshin'in mainly but I also really liked Zenkichi, Akune (really wish his role wasn't diminished to extra in the latter half of the series), Maguro, Naze, Wanizuka, Nabeshima, Shiranui (kinda, it's complicated) & at times Medaka. But a lot of them didn't do much for me or even actively annoyed me like Nienami. The art was generally nice I guess, I could follow most of what happened from panel to panel. 7/10.
Jun 14, 2015 7:32 PM

Jun 2014
Monde11 said:
Ending felt rushed but it was a pretty good manga.

not really.

Mogana + Misogi = Mogami
Mogana falls silent when her friends discussing about Misogi. Well, she did fall in love with Misogi, but obviously they didnt end up together.

Should be 5/10 but Zen X Med are getting married so +1.
Jun 16, 2015 2:59 AM

Jun 2009
So that's it. It's over. Man what a ride it was.

I could write a lot of stuff about the good parts and the bad parts of this series but I really don't feel like it. I just want to say this: I enjoyed it IMMENSELY.

There were so many crazy-interesting-likeable characters and it was always fun watching them do insane stuff.

Sure the manga had it's share of weaknesses but I was always willing to overlook them because it was just so damn entertaining. And in the end isn't this what's most important? That you simply have fun reading it?

I'll give this a 8/10 for now although I honestly consider giving it a 9. I'll read it again some time in the future.
Aug 26, 2015 4:33 AM

Sep 2007
All I can say is: Nisio is a huge troll.

Just marathoned it in 4 days.

9/10
Oct 9, 2015 2:39 PM

Sep 2014
Ayyy, I finished it. That was one helluva ride. Liked it, the fights, the humour, the characters. Most of all Medaka. She's one of my favourite characters, the best thing about this manga, I don't get it why many people seem to dislike her, but she's the best. Glad to see it end on a great Medaka x Zenkichi note. I'm satisfied ;)

9/10
Oct 26, 2015 5:56 AM

Aug 2014
This was quite the ride, pretty amazing though the first 57 chapters were pretty mediocre. All in all I'm quite satisfied with the turn it took from Minus arc till now (though Minuc arc and the revival of flask plan arc were by far the best and the rest didn't quite live up to it). Everything else was a hit or miss...except for the characters! Most of the characters were definitely the saving point of each arc, especially Kumagawa and Zenkichi.

6/10. Kumagawa is easily one of my favorite characters of all time now!
SnappynatorDec 17, 2015 12:16 AM
Dec 21, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2016
8/10 overall.

Kumagawa was gr8. Medaka was annoying until after the election, Anshin'in was awesome.

I really wish Kumagawa won (even if it was temporary) that battle at the end of the minus arc, or at least, managed to make Medaka struggle.
Aug 2, 2017 2:21 PM

Feb 2008
Quite an odd read. Felt more like an illustrated novel than a manga, with a ridiculous word count and the panels having very little action. I can't help feeling that it lost focus after the Minus arc, where it peaked. Even if we were to disregard how characters like Akune and Kikaijima switched to being completely irrelevant, even the the format shifted from being a school battle parody that sometimes took itself too seriously for what it is... to a card and word game fiesta. It wasn't parodying things anymore at that point, but just taking a somewhat unconventional approach as to how the conflicts got resolved, in an entirely boring fashion. The games themselves were very thorough and thought out, but it seemed like that it was like adding unneeded attention and significance to something trivial. At that point, I had more interesting to continue reading to see what kind of wacky shenanigans Kumagawa will pull than to see where the main development is heading.

Can't say that it's a bad read, but I think that it needlessly went too long, instead of having a somewhat different conclusion to the Not Equal arc and wrapping things up with that.

Sep 15, 2017 10:29 AM

Jan 2015
Great series, 10/10
Sep 20, 2017 8:45 PM

Oct 2015
Fun ride, Kumagawa Misogi is my favorite character in this series
Nov 2, 2017 8:04 AM

Aug 2009
It took 192 chapters over 4 years for Zenkichi and Medaka to confess and propose to each other at the same time. Kinda sad they didn't do it at least 10 chapters before or haven't received another 10 chapters of "after the end" arc.
Apr 11, 2018 5:42 PM
Jan 2018
For all its flaws I missed this series, wish there was one like it.
Apr 9, 2020 3:09 PM

Jan 2013
such prolonged epilogue hits my feels the hardest. i didnt want to go through another lotr ptsd but here iam. gg/10.
Jul 27, 2020 8:28 PM
May 2015
IndoExamurai said:
So it finally ends. I'm surprised how much i'm going to miss this manga, especially the characters. Medaka had really grown on me as a character. It's nice to see that Zenkichi and her are going to be together in the end.
A good satisfying ending I say, better than KHR, the last completed SJ manga I read that had a crappy inconclusive ending. Nice to see Medaka Box didn't go that way.

Reborn was complete and utter dogshit, usually im angry when an anime ends before a series can be fully realized. But the future arc was a perfect arc for the anime to end, everything after that arc is god awful in the manga. Although medaka box's ending is alright, I would have loved to have minus arc animated and have the anime end at ch 140 instead of 50. So much potential, im so mad the anime doesnt have a s3.
Dec 23, 2020 1:58 PM
Nov 2014
going to miss this, bye medaka box you have been a fun ride.

really liked the last fight with medaka taking on all the characters she have met throughout the series.
Apr 1, 2022 3:00 PM

Nov 2008
Wait, so even after Medaka answered "yes" to Zenkichi's proposal back at the end of Jet Black Wedding arc, they still went their separate ways after graduating high school and only now, 10 years later, are meeting again and considering marriage? What the hell is this crap!? Not that i know how relationships work, but that looks like such a waste to me, spending a decade of your best years apart from each other.

All in all, i feel like this manga overstayed it's welcome. It peaked when Zenkichi defeated Medaka in a student council election and then quickly went downhill in an effort to tie it's loose ends.

viesiu said:
Heh, the way they all lost their powers made me think of eighth-grader syndrome and all that happened was pretty much imaginary :D

Because it was a coming-of-age story all along. One could think of it like this - abilities here represent a freedom kids have, but as they grow up and turn into adults, they are graduating into society and have to conform to it's norms, and so there's no more room for abnormalities. Although the way Zenkichi was embarrassed about losing his "skills" at a relatively late age and a mention of Hansode and Naze retaining theirs almost makes me think of "skills" as a metaphor for virginity :P

For me who is now entering his thirties not having experienced this "spring of youth" glorified in so many anime & manga, stories like this are a poison filling my heart with regret. And yet, strangely enough, every time i finish reading one, it also leaves an aftertaste of bittersweet nostalgia. I'm not really sure what to make of it. Maybe somewhere deep inside there is still hope of experiencing relationships like those depicted here.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 102 Discussion

Inarius - Jun 24, 2011

4 by mazuchi »»
Jul 10, 2023 1:27 PM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 117 Discussion

RawElements - Oct 13, 2011

29 by Cam1922 »»
Mar 13, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 19 Discussion

ShiroiRyu - Sep 19, 2009

16 by Cam1922 »»
Mar 10, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 57 Discussion

ShiroiRyu - Aug 25, 2010

13 by Gameboy_Matthew »»
Oct 29, 2022 7:37 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Chapter 125 Discussion

Inarius - Dec 3, 2011

18 by vbzre »»
Aug 27, 2022 4:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.