Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2013 1:09 AM
Sep 2012
Will you continue it out of duty and wait for Anno's explanation in 4.0 or just pretend this never happened and live happily ever after?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 24, 2013 1:40 AM

Oct 2011
2.22 was a train wreck storywise. The Rebuilds are fun distractions. If you couldn't realize that from 2.22, then I've got some bad news for you.

I have yet to see 3.0 so I don't know whether or not the series has yet redeemed itself. And even if it hasn't, I can't yet pass a full judgment because I have yet to see 4.44
Apr 24, 2013 11:42 AM

Feb 2011
It wasn't a trainwreck. It had flaws, but it wasn't a trainwreck. Just very hard to swallow... for some.

My thought is that anyone who loved the original TV series will like 3.0, and people who only liked the Rebuild series will dislike 3.0.

Then there are the Shinji haters who will also probably hate 3.0. And people who wants clear exposition and answers will also probably hate 3.0. So, it's a bigger chance for someone to hate it, than like it.

But what most people seem to forget is that 3.0 was originally supposed to be a prologue to Final (and still is in some way). My guess is that this is like the first season of Higurashi; in the sense that it builds up questions, but never answers them, whilst Kai (or Final in this case) is instead the holder of answers.

Besides, why would you not watch the thing that will more than likely answer all the questions 3.0 brought? That's like saying "This was confusing and I want answers! But I don't want to recieve the answers!"

But, to each his own, I guess.
I'm a douche. Deal with it.
Apr 24, 2013 3:21 PM
Mar 2013
I enjoyed 3.0, it lived up to my expectations.
I really like Shinji so I guess that probably made the movie better for me personally, I guess maybe people who hated his wining in the rest of the franchise would detest 3.0.
I am looking forward to the final movie, even if it isn't that good, i will still watch it for the sake of completition.
I think it is important to remember that even if you view the rebuild movies as a poor imitation of the original series, that shouldn't detract from Anno's genius as a whole.
Maybe some would say he has become complacent? Even so, the original Neon Genesis Evangelion was fantastic, and no matter how you view the rebuild you shouldn't let them disillusion you ^.^

Don't know if that made any sense xD "my thoughts are stars that I cannot fathom in to constellations" :P xD
Apr 25, 2013 9:05 AM
Oct 2010
Why wouldn't I watch 4.0.. it could make 3.0 a brilliant movie. 3.0 wasn't a trainwreck but it had issues..
Apr 27, 2013 11:11 AM
Mar 2008
Mortsyn said:

My thought is that anyone who loved the original TV series will like 3.0, and people who only liked the Rebuild series will dislike 3.0.

Strange. I have no idea why you would think that.

Anyway. I liked the original series, LOVED EoE, and thoroughly enjoyed the first two Rebuild movies. I especially liked how it was headed in what appears to be a new direction.

All the pieces were in place for me really enjoy 3. And yet, it did nothing for me. Not once, after starting the movie, was I excited by it. A couple times I noted some good music. Even during the climax, I just didn't care about what was happening. And then it ended. Despite some nice audio and visuals, it was an overall bland experience.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Death and Rebirth (a transitional film to prepare for the finale). Hopefully that means 4 will be reminiscent of EoE.
Apr 27, 2013 2:15 PM

Jan 2010
3.0, to my surprise, was actually better than 2.0 and definetely better than I expected. Maybe it's because I was not ready to heavy changes they made in 2.0, after 1.0 was almost completely a remake. In 3.0 however, I was already prepared for the worst, and it actually went better than I expected, the return of mysteries and puzzles gave 3.0 an original series vibe; I find myself fanwanking again, just like in the old times, that was good feeling, unlike the bitter dissapointment after watching a pointless CGI mess that is 2.0.
Apr 27, 2013 2:27 PM

Apr 2012
There are no stops on Anno's Wild Ride.
Apr 27, 2013 8:31 PM

Jun 2011
All the Rebuild action fags are mad

THANK YOU BASED ANNO FOR 3.0
Apr 28, 2013 8:39 AM
Apr 2009
3.0 was better than 1.0, but 2.0 was far better.

Still, with 3.0 I wasn't disappointed at all. Didn't expect it to be as good as 2.0 anyway.
Apr 29, 2013 4:27 AM

Jul 2010
how could I stop if there's only 1/4 way left? I'm going to see rebuild 'til the end
Apr 29, 2013 4:38 AM

Nov 2012
me,i will continue this movie until the end of evangelionthe world
it was a great movie!
Apr 29, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2009
I will,

Evangelion 3.0 wasn't exactly a trainwreck IMO but it wasn't a great film either. It was more like the prelude for the next movie. The fall of Shinji in this film makes a lot of room for a epic climax to occur in the next movie. This movie serves a ground to build up the Evangelion mythos and explain some of the mysteries surrounding Nerv, EVAs, SEELE and more importantly what makes up EVA unit-01. But all this may just be wishful thinking on my end. There is a possibility that the next movie will end of with more questions than answers it provides but I have faith in Gainax and Anno himself.

Fans probably set their expectation extremely high after the Evagelion 2.0 (mine as well) and will come off 3.0 as an utterly disappointing addition to the series. But upon rewatching, there are much to take away from this installment that could be utilized and expanded upon in the final movie.

(I still think that the characters in the movie have poor communication skills)

Still looking forward to Evangelion 4.0
(where did all those Evangelions that EVA 02+08 was fighting come from??)
kool_kidakApr 29, 2013 10:13 AM
Apr 29, 2013 8:23 PM
Apr 2011
I actually liked 3.0 better than 2.0. It strayed from the original while still offering the same kind of vibe. And once again, there are no concrete answers. Considering how 3.0 was setting up 4.0, 4.0 will likely be even better.

But seriously though, Shinji needs to stop his whining. Shinji was just too annoying in 3.0. Sure his life sucks, but the guy could seriously just shut up and deal with it. Everyone else's life sucks just as bad. However, I have a feeling that he's going to be worse in 4.0, which is the only reason I don't want to see 4.0.
Apr 29, 2013 8:49 PM
May 2011
I'd still say that 3.0 was better than the original plot. I kind of like where it is going. It wasn't the best film, but it wasn't bad either. I like trying to put together puzzles.

I'm hoping that 4.0 will be the kind of movie that contains the answers, but doesn't spell them out for you. Some of my favourite stories are ones that you have to re-watch the whole thing in order to get the full picture, to see the hints placed through-out come together.

At this point it is almost surprising that Shinji can still whine though... you would think he might have just decided that killing everyone is fine by this point. XD

Didn't like how much CGI the 4.0 trailer had though, I hope it is still mostly good animation.
Apr 30, 2013 5:47 PM

Jul 2011
The right question is: Who will not continue to watch the rebuilds after the trainwreck that is 3.0?
Apr 30, 2013 6:17 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I will (not) stop watching the Rebuilds and I didn't think 3.0 was a trainwreck in the least.
Apr 30, 2013 11:39 PM

Oct 2012
I will not stop watching as well, since I, have always loved the Evangelion series, from the TV Series, from the movies, I loved it, and I will continue on loving it. It has a unique aura in it, it's still a masterpiece.
May 1, 2013 8:23 AM

Apr 2010
I have super mixed feelings about this. I am a huge fan of the original NGE, it blew my mind when I first saw it, it was one of my earliest tastes of how anime could have deep and meaningful stories. I remember my excitement when they first announced the Rebuild. I watched one and two and despite the big changes I felt they kept a lot of the themes and meaning from the original while spicing up the design of the angels and the combat sequences. 3.0 was just such a huge departure from the story line that I know and love. A part of me wants to reject it out and out, it differs from the original that I know and love in such a big way, but the other part of me wants to love it because it does that. I wonder if the part of me that hates 3.0 just does because of the difference or if there is something more fundamental that 3.0 did not get right. As the 3rd act of the Rebuild, it does share somethings with the 3rd act of NGE. I just don't know if I can love it the same way that I love the original TV series. Aside from my conflicted feelings I really just hope that 4.0 explains things just a little better, and that it comes out before 2014. I don't want to have to wait another whole year before I can really decide if the Rebuild lives up to the legacy of NGE.
May 1, 2013 8:37 AM

Mar 2013
3.0 was excellent, best so far. I honestly don't get all the hate, I guess change is hard for some people to deal with. Really looking forward to 4.
May 1, 2013 11:28 AM

Oct 2012
keideki said:
3.0 was just such a huge departure from the story line that I know and love. A part of me wants to reject it out and out, it differs from the original that I know and love in such a big way, but the other part of me wants to love it because it does that. I wonder if the part of me that hates 3.0 just does because of the difference or if there is something more fundamental that 3.0 did not get right.

I agree a lot with what you said, especially this.
It's really difficult for me to judge it as a standalone with my love of NGE getting in the way as well.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 1, 2013 11:37 AM

Oct 2012
So I was actually introduced to Evagelion by the Rebuild movies, for the sole reason of availability. So the movies not matching up with the series isn't a concern for me. What is a concern is that the second two movies won't match up tonally with the first two. That said, I'm reserving judgement until I see them both in their entirety. But I am not as excited as I was.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
May 1, 2013 9:11 PM
Dec 2012
I definitely will... I mean, 3.33 was certainly not what I expected, but as a fan of the Eva series (I've watched them since I could on the 96') that I couldn't help but look forward till 4.44 finally comes to my hands...
:v
May 2, 2013 1:01 PM

Nov 2009
skudoops said:
Why wouldn't I watch 4.0.. it could make 3.0 a brilliant movie. 3.0 wasn't a trainwreck but it had issues..

^ this, exactly my opinion.
Oh, and btw, what's with the topic? Try making it less one-sided. I mean, I know you didn't like it (obviously), but you don't have to predispose everyone who reads it into thinking it was a bad movie.
May 2, 2013 4:57 PM

Oct 2010
How will this movie make another movie better? If 3.0 is s*** now then it's s*** forever, end of story.
May 3, 2013 10:45 PM

Jul 2012
3.0 was in no way a train wreck, it just didn't get very interesting until the second half of the movie, and even before then it wasn't all that bad. So yes, I'm going to watch 4.0 in the hopes that I'll get my NGE fix from that one, as 3.0 didn't completely satisfy my hunger.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

May 3, 2013 11:03 PM

Jul 2012
I got into the Evangelion series through the rebuild movies and I had no problems with 3.0, I thought 3.0 was far better than 1.0 but 2.0 was a little better than it. I will definitely be continuing to watch.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 4, 2013 12:55 AM

Jul 2012
Lol 3.0 wasn't a trainwreck, possibly bad comparability and rather subjectively, but not a trainwreck. I figure the 4th one will either be mindblowingly beautiful or a bomb massively, either way I'm watching.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
May 4, 2013 2:49 PM

Sep 2011
I found 3.0 isn't a trainwreck and not bad at all to me so I'll see this through the end.

May 6, 2013 4:10 PM

Oct 2010
For me it isn't that bad (on the contrary it is currently my second favorite next to 2.0) so I'll watch and see how the final movie turns out.
May 7, 2013 11:13 PM

Jul 2009
NickyCharisma said:
So I was actually introduced to Evagelion by the Rebuild movies, for the sole reason of availability. So the movies not matching up with the series isn't a concern for me. What is a concern is that the second two movies won't match up tonally with the first two. That said, I'm reserving judgement until I see them both in their entirety. But I am not as excited as I was.
It's nice to have the point of view of someone who got into Eva through Rebuild, and it's even more interesting to see you not being as excited for 4.0.

Cause, let's face it, 3.0 was pretty far off the mark compared to 2.0. Tone, character personalities, everything. Even for someone who held less/lower expectations for how the story would be in 3.0 viewed it somewhat negatively.

I barely found likable characters in 3.0, and I only like Kaworu and Mari because they were the only people who weren't complete pricks. There was no character development and very little plot explanation, and minor character relationship developments. This whole movie was practically exposition for 4.0 (understandably, they were supposed to be released as one film ... but still)!

I hardly felt any emotion inside me the entire film, and I suspect I only rated "You Can (Not) Redo" 7/10 due to bias. I mean ,there are good points in this movie, don't get me wrong, but it's very hard to pinpoint them outside of the technical aspects (like animation quality and music).

Not that this is stopping me from watching 4.0. Not only do I want to hear Hikki's last Eva song, or see if we get a Shinji x Rei conclusion this time (or, God forbid, a happy ending!), or even have my newly-arisen questions answered, but I sincerely hope it redeems the disappointment that was 3.0.
May 7, 2013 11:14 PM

Jan 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that 3.33 is not bad at all.
Sure it lacks something and a huge departure from what we know.
But it is something new. I think people set their expectation even higher after seeing the 2.22.
Which is very reasonable.

You could say I started Eva with rebuild, I never had any strong connection with the series to begin with.
I catched up with the series after seeing 2 rebuild movies.
I watched EoE and Death & Rebirth as well.
May 13, 2013 10:13 PM

Aug 2008
3.0 was my favorite one by far so yeah, hopefully 4th one will be good too (not expecting to like it as much).

If you ask me the rebuild movies have never been about the plot, but rather the themes, messages and growth of Shinji's character.
May 13, 2013 10:30 PM

Jan 2009
of course i will im not gonna drop this just because 1 movie/episode did not reach the high expectation
May 14, 2013 3:43 PM

Oct 2012
Going down with the ship.

May 18, 2013 1:11 AM

Nov 2011
I will surely watch the 4th movie because I personally liked 1 and 2.
I like them more than the original and the EOE. Especially because the characters were more likable and had more drama/emotions in the rebuilds (I'm a sucker for drama).
What I believe to be a real trainwreck would the the 2 final episodes of the original series LOL.
May 31, 2013 1:02 AM
Oct 2010
shinytentacool said:
How will this movie make another movie better? If 3.0 is s*** now then it's s*** forever, end of story.

Stop and think it through.. it's a story conveyed through 4 movies. We are on the 3rd movie.... don't you think the 4th part could make the 3rd part make more sense?
May 31, 2013 10:45 PM
May 2013
Evangelion 3.0 really is (or at least it seems) the lead up to 4.0
It wasn't as terrible as you make it out to be PLUS, it makes no sense to NOT WATCH 4.0 just because 3.0 was kinda scattered. Plus, it's what's going to ultimately make or break 3.0 because if it DOES turn out to be a lead and 4.0 turns out to be decent then all will be well.
May 31, 2013 10:47 PM
May 2013
skudoops said:
shinytentacool said:

Stop and think it through.. it's a story conveyed through 4 movies. We are on the 3rd movie.... don't you think the 4th part could make the 3rd part make more sense?

Don't, he's too far past the point of redemption.
Jun 19, 2013 2:06 PM
Mar 2008
xdefcon5x said:
skudoops said:
shinytentacool said:

Don't, he's too far past the point of redemption.

Even if 4.0/4.44 is the mindnumbingly amazing experience I'm sure we're all hoping for, 3.33 will still be the lowest point in the series; "the movie we have to watch to get to the fourth." Subjectively, of course. I'm glad some people enjoyed it. :)
Jul 14, 2013 2:28 AM
Jun 2013
4.0 will be the last one and hopefully it will redeem this disappointing 3.0 so i will watch it.
Jul 17, 2013 1:47 AM
Jul 2018
3.0 wasn't a trainwreck. If it were the end of the series it would be. There's loose ends, but there's another movie coming. I still believe in Anno to bring a completely awesome ending to this.
Jul 21, 2013 10:33 PM

Jun 2013
why is everyone so disappointing with 3.0. I will agree that it is the worst rebuild movie so far, but that isn't saying much in my opinion. The reason why it wasn't as good is because it is the classic build up to the grand finale. It purposely didn't explain much so you are left wondering what the fuck was happening(they did that in the original Evangelion to).

This movie was simply reminding us with a good whack over the head that evangelion isn't a lovey dovey story. It was Evangelion simply going back to it roots of depression and hopelessness so don't hate the movie for being what Evangelion has always been.
Jul 21, 2013 11:52 PM
Oct 2010
vorumzo said:
why is everyone so disappointing with 3.0. I will agree that it is the worst rebuild movie so far, but that isn't saying much in my opinion. The reason why it wasn't as good is because it is the classic build up to the grand finale. It purposely didn't explain much so you are left wondering what the fuck was happening(they did that in the original Evangelion to).

This movie was simply reminding us with a good whack over the head that evangelion isn't a lovey dovey story. It was Evangelion simply going back to it roots of depression and hopelessness so don't hate the movie for being what Evangelion has always been.

I think people forget you aren't supposed to be watching these rebuilds as single movies but as a whole.
Jul 22, 2013 12:09 AM

Oct 2011
The_Butcher said:
3.0 was better than 1.0, but 2.0 was far better.

Still, with 3.0 I wasn't disappointed at all. Didn't expect it to be as good as 2.0 anyway.

It actually frightens me that this post is completely serious. I knew people like you existed.
Jul 23, 2013 9:42 AM

Jun 2013
skudoops said:
vorumzo said:

I think people forget you aren't supposed to be watching these rebuilds as single movies but as a whole.

This.
Aug 2, 2013 11:30 PM

Apr 2012
3.0 is Empire Strikes Back

(meaning it's the darkest, unresolved and best)

(I'm hoping 4.0 is even better)
Aug 4, 2013 9:52 PM

Sep 2011
I have to watch 4.0 so I can figure out what the fuck happened in 3.0. I agree it was a train wreck. I was really hoping he would continue with what he started on 2.0. Then I realized this is Anno we are talking about; who am I kidding. This guy loves to fly on wings of euphoria then nose dive down a spiral of depression. I really didn't enjoy 3.0 it gave me a god damn headache, and its honestly just heading in the same direction as End of Evangelion. Which in my opinion makes these remake/redo or what ever you want to call them pointless. I'm not expecting too much from the last movie, but at least I want answers for the third.
Aug 6, 2013 9:05 PM

Sep 2011
jesus fucking christ with the people spouting train wreak this and train wreak that bullshit...
Aug 22, 2013 2:18 PM

Jun 2012
I liked the film, i didn't think it was bad to be honest. I don't even think it leaves that many unanswered questions either, at least not ones that we would need to know right now.

Will definitely be watching 4, i will wait for it eagerly, for 2 years :(
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

S0UVIK - Aug 12, 2021

326 by Ten »»
Apr 8, 4:57 PM

Poll: » time loop or multiverse?

deg - Mar 19

11 by Bkm1995 »»
Mar 20, 9:16 PM

» Shinji's Jersey from EVA STORE

hohofish - Apr 15, 2021

1 by 1016jersey »»
Mar 15, 12:03 PM

» Shin Evangelion Movie: II???? Why change the title now?

Cestlavie_ - Nov 25, 2023

10 by Lucifrost »»
Feb 6, 8:40 AM

» Employee recruitment for the production of 3.0+1.0.

zacky1312 - May 23, 2018

2 by simeji8043 »»
Jan 22, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.