Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 23, 2013 4:34 PM

Nov 2012
What's the point of rotoscoping the show? They had real actors and cameras. Wouldn't it be better if they just made a normal drama series out of it? Is it because they wanted to promote the show and knew that anime have more international reputation than normal tv series?
Apr 23, 2013 4:38 PM

Jan 2012
frequency said:
What's the point of rotoscoping the show? They had real actors and cameras. Wouldn't it be better if they just made a normal drama series out of it? Is it because they wanted to promote the show and knew that anime have more international reputation than normal tv series?

From the interview with the director and mangaka that was translated it seems the director first offered a live action version. I think it was rejected by the mangaka, or someone else along the way and this version was eventually decided upon.

But yeah seriously, more threads about this show :P
Apr 23, 2013 4:41 PM

Aug 2012
Why bother animating it?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh~

Honestly I don't know. ReasonDesu's answer makes sense.
Apr 23, 2013 4:42 PM

Dec 2011
To cause an outrage and have people discuss it, less people would remember it if it were either: standard, live action, or not cheaply animated.
Even bad publicity is good publicity.
Apr 23, 2013 4:48 PM

Apr 2011
ReasonDesu said:
frequency said:

From the interview with the director and mangaka that was translated it seems the director first offered a live action version. I think it was rejected by the mangaka, or someone else along the way and this version was eventually decided upon.

I don't have the link, but I had thought it was more along the lines of the mangaka didn't just want a generic anime adaptation. He had said if it was adapted he wanted it to be live action, but then the director had talked him into the idea of rotoscoping. I guess they tested it out on the mangaka first, and he improved. Pretty much what you said, except slightly different. Don't know for sure though cause translations are always a bit hit and miss.

Don't know why people get so bent out of shape about adaptations. It's art, they're experimenting and trying different techniques and styles. Plus, the art style is not really what makes an anime it's the story. Which has been pretty faithful to the manga so far, albeit a bit slower paced(which I think sets for a more serious atmosphere).

It's crazy though, did you see the people flipping out in the Shingeki no Kyojin topics cause the girl has lips...
Apr 23, 2013 4:50 PM
Apr 2010
I forgot this show existed for a while. People are still complaining even though the animation style won't change?
Apr 23, 2013 4:55 PM

Jan 2012
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:

I don't have the link, but I had thought it was more along the lines of the mangaka didn't just want a generic anime adaptation. He had said if it was adapted he wanted it to be live action, but then the director had talked him into the idea of rotoscoping. I guess they tested it out on the mangaka first, and he improved. Pretty much what you said, except slightly different. Don't know for sure though cause translations are always a bit hit and miss.

Don't know why people get so bent out of shape about adaptations. It's art, they're experimenting and trying different techniques and styles. Plus, the art style is not really what makes an anime it's the story. Which has been pretty faithful to the manga so far, albeit a bit slower paced(which I think sets for a more serious atmosphere).

It's crazy though, did you see the people flipping out in the Shingeki no Kyojin topics cause the girl has lips...

I didn't either, but found it again after that. I don't think it's the full one I've seen before just a summary.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4622098&postcount=169

It says "At first Nagahama (the director) refused the offer to direct the adaptation, because he thought that simply turning this manga into a pretty, clean-looking anime would be pointless. He says that he believes that when the mangaka draws this story he's seeing something "else" which he expresses as a manga. So there would be no point in simply presenting it in animated form, at that rate you might as well just read the manga and be done with it.
- He thought if it was to be adapted at all, it should be done as a live drama. When he was offered the job the second time, he pitched the idea of using rotoscope."

It doesn't say why they didn't accept his first proposal of a live action. I'm guessing the mangaka didn't like it or someone didn't think it would make money. That's all speculation though.

I don't get why so much hate is directed at this either, I can get why people don't like it. It is pretty disturbing and not to everyones taste, but the hate is huge. I'm guessing it's the manga fans hating the change.

*EDIT* and lol those lips... needs more lip-gloss :P
Apr 23, 2013 5:06 PM

Apr 2011
ReasonDesu said:
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:

I didn't either, but found it again after that. I don't think it's the full one I've seen before just a summary.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4622098&postcount=169

It says "At first Nagahama (the director) refused the offer to direct the adaptation, because he thought that simply turning this manga into a pretty, clean-looking anime would be pointless. He says that he believes that when the mangaka draws this story he's seeing something "else" which he expresses as a manga. So there would be no point in simply presenting it in animated form, at that rate you might as well just read the manga and be done with it.
- He thought if it was to be adapted at all, it should be done as a live drama. When he was offered the job the second time, he pitched the idea of using rotoscope."

It doesn't say why they didn't accept his first proposal of a live action. I'm guessing the mangaka didn't like it or someone didn't think it would make money. That's all speculation though.

I don't get why so much hate is directed at this either, I can get why people don't like it. It is pretty disturbing and not to everyones taste, but the hate is huge. I'm guessing it's the manga fans hating the change.

*EDIT* and lol those lips... needs more lip-gloss :P

Ah, ok my bad. The translation I read I'm pretty sure was different though, it was a different link/page. It's very possible I mixed it up though.

LOL, seriously though. People were legit getting mad because they gave the character fucking lips... Does that really detract from enjoying it?! Nerds just love to be butthurt and angry, especially online. Oh well.
Apr 23, 2013 6:08 PM

Nov 2008
Why bother existing
Apr 23, 2013 7:34 PM
Mar 2011
ReasonDesu said:
frequency said:

truly, anime story of the year
"....i am the villain in this story"
Aug 13, 2013 1:16 PM

Aug 2009
I like rotoscoping.It gives the anime and character movements a more realistic appearance.
Aug 17, 2013 7:45 AM

Oct 2007
why not..? it's a cinematic style of its own.
forum avatar: Sukisho
profile avatar: Ashita no Nadja
Aug 18, 2013 5:09 AM

Feb 2012
Director Nagahama aout the live action thingy:

" In live action, you are looking at actors. I like Iron Man, but when I first heard about the live action Iron Man movies I knew there was a risk. The person standing in the movie isn't Iron Man, but his actor, Robert Downey Jr. You're watching Robert Downey Jr. act as Tony Stark. It's cool, but he is still depicting a character that only exists in the comic and not in real life. And the same applies to anime and manga. To depict fiction and connect it to our world, I decided rotoscoping was the way to go. Is it ideal? I don't know but I want to find out. I hope this answer is okay for you."

So he wanted this fictional characters stay fictional, not bound to an actor(does someone really want some random pop idols as Nakamura and Saeki?)
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Aug 20, 2013 11:47 PM

Apr 2012
Not gonna lie, I was seriously shocked when I saw the first episode with regards to the art style but along the way I somehow realized that it's good for the atmosphere. Makes them feel more real and the background scenes were also beautiful. Some scenes were awfully dragged (like the one with them just walking and walking and walking) but I think it was done to really capture the atmosphere of the story. Thanks to that I was able to appreciate the atmosphere of the manga more.

But I don't know, maybe it could have been better with the usual anime type of animation but like I said, it captured the essence of the story more, makes it more human I think.

My forum picture is awesome. #sorrynotsorry (tumblr)

Feb 18, 2016 5:21 AM
Aug 2009
i liked it, i think it benefited from it. it felt more real. more anime should adapt different styles.
Mar 12, 2016 6:07 PM

Dec 2014
Fintan said:

I agree. Maybe because I saw Bakshi do Lord of the Rings this way in the 70s I dealt with this style and any reservations I had about it decades ago. I see it as just another style. Like music, if you only like one genre, fine. But there are other styles out there. I've watched 5 episodes so far and have forgotten that it's even rotoscoped. The show is fine really well and has dawn me into its world. I find that when something is boring I start to take apart the technical aspects of it. This is just the opposite. It's so well done I wouldn't care if the animation was in crayon. I won't tell other people to open their minds. I'm just glad mine isn't so hung up on how I think this should be done that I missed out on watching this.
Mar 12, 2016 6:16 PM

Dec 2014
HikikomoriGamer said:
To cause an outrage and have people discuss it, less people would remember it if it were either: standard, live action, or not cheaply animated.
Even bad publicity is good publicity.

Actually rorotoscoping costs more and takes longer. Look into the process if you don't believe me. You have to film it first. That takes actors, rehearsal, sets, lighting, production, etc. Then they take each frame and break it down into layers. They use something like Photoshop to paint each layer and reassemble it into one frame. There can be 20 layers to each frame and one person working on a particular layer, say sidewalks for instance. So its a lot more work and time and money to do.
Feb 23, 2023 8:18 AM

Aug 2020
Because pretention and pseudophilosophy.

Feb 23, 2023 8:24 AM
Feb 2023
KitsuFrost said:

Posting after 6 years just to say this you must be really salty
Feb 23, 2023 9:43 AM

Aug 2020
YasasaD said:
KitsuFrost said:

Posting after 6 years just to say this you must be really salty

Do posts have an expiration date? No? I thought so.

Also, grow some fucking balls and try using your main account instead of creating a new one just to answer somebody in the same day.
KitsuFrostFeb 23, 2023 9:49 AM

Feb 28, 2023 2:47 PM

Jan 2020
I know this is a decade old forum but if you were to think about it, rotoscoping makes it so much more unsettling which perfectly captures the atmosphere of the manga. You don't even have to think too deep about this either, it's a unique experimentation that deserves its own credit. Could it have been done just as good in live-action? Absolutely. However, this was the direction they had went with and whatever controversy it brings just settles down to personal taste.
Jun 21, 2023 9:34 PM

Mar 2013
Why rotoscope? Ep7, that is why, it all made sense there, it wouldnt have been the same with a more traditional art style

Umbasa!
Jul 16, 2023 4:30 PM

Aug 2013
others have said it more eloquently than me but: it's art. art should be allowed to try different styles, especially when it's using those styles to communicate a message to the viewer. the rotoscoping lent a very harrowing, unsettling feel to the show- like all of this was a little too real, but still teetering on the edge of a nightmare. the faces are lacking in detail, much like an ordinary cartoon character, except these characters move and talk and suffer like real people. it feels very intense. i am loving it and eating it up (currently on episode 4).

honestly this anime would've been a lot crappier if the director didn't work his magic. the rotoscoping, the voice acting, the music, everything about it just works. knowing that people hated on it when it came out just because it didn't look "anime" enough is really really saddening to me. i hope someday in the future people will accept rotoscoping the same way we all eventually accepted CG anime... of course, that would require studios to have the time, passion, and resources to dedicate to rotoscoping, so i don't think it'll ever be adopted the way CG has been.

i really hope that Nagahama includes rotoscoping in the Uzumaki anime (if it ever comes out lol).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.